Stage Select

The Marvel comics and Mcu thread

So it might be since I just got done reading Jason Aaron’s entire run which is what L&T is based off of but I absolutely fucking hated Love and Thunder 

Spoiler

* Gorr does not have a daughter. He has a son. Small detail but it bothers me. It’s done purely to make you sympathize more with gorr. Which you shouldn’t. He’s an insane serial killer

* Gorr does not meet his gods. He just assumes they do not answer his prayers. You find out later that his god died in battle against the former holder of the All Black Necrosword 

* The gods are not dicks in Jason Aaron’s run. You actually barely meet any as many of them die across the time the story takes place (thousands of years). The ones you do meet or Thor describes seem to be benevolent, love their people and are loved by their people. 

* Omnipotence City is not a literal city where the gods meet up. It’s just a library on a distant planet 

* Having Zeus debut as a horrible Segway into debuting Hercules was groan inducing. But also the Olympian Gods are suuuuuuper bags of dicks in the marvel universe. But they usually beef with The Eternals, The Celestials and cosmic entities. Zeus and Odin are actually on extremely good terms and would have helped no questions asked. 

* What fucking use did Zeus’s lightning bolt serve? 

* The misuse of Eternity really really fucking brothers me. Eternity is not a place, it’s not a thing, it’s not a thing that grants god damn wishes. It’s a cosmic being that represents The entirety of the multiverse. 

* Eternity seemingly becoming a little girl is extremely fucking stupid and doesn’t make sense. 

* eternity has nothing to do with anything of the God Butcher or Mighty Thor Run. Gorr enslaved certain gods, their children, etc to build The God Bomb which would Have killed every god in the multiverse and across all time.

* Gorr is actually defeated by his “son” he created with the AllBlack after he finds out Gorr murdered his “mom” after she called him her God. There was no redemption for Gorr in the comic and it’s really fucking dumb they did it the way they did. 

* Jane was handled in a really fumbled and dumbed manner. They also didn’t explain why Storm Breaker was acting shitty. It was just bad story telling. But there was also no way they could introduce Mangogg, the anti-Jane Thor movement in Asgard or story elements from Jason Aaron’s run in the story. 

* Im really sad Thors goats weren’t used more as they’re suuuuuuper OP and important to the Thor mythos in the comics. 

* Himedal randomly has a son? No. That’s crap.sorry. 

* Gorr kidnapping children was stupid and made no sense. 

* Gorr doesn’t discover Asgard. Thor ends up finding out about Gorr through following the trail of bodies and stories of dead gods across the Galaxy and Realms. 

* So. Much. God. Damn. Guns. N. Roses. I fucking hate Guns n Roses. 

* None of the humor really stuck the landing in this movie. It was all just bad and cringe. The dialogue overall was just extremely clunky and felt like high schoolers wrote the script. 

just fuck I hated this movie. A rare miss from Taika Waititi

Edited by iStu X
12 hours ago, iStu X said:

So it might be since I just got done reading Jason Aaron’s entire run which is what L&T is based off of but I absolutely fucking hated Love and Thunder 

There is some valid criticism here. Coupled with reading the source material and seeing how it's mishandled is a easy way to blow up expectations. 

4 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

There is some valid criticism here. Coupled with reading the source material and seeing how it's mishandled is a easy way to blow up expectations. 

Honestly L&T might be my least favorite MCU movie. It’s absolute trash. The more I think about how the movie was paced and the story was constructed the more is pisses me off because it makes no god damn sense 

1 hour ago, iStu X said:

Honestly L&T might be my least favorite MCU movie. It’s absolute trash. The more I think about how the movie was paced and the story was constructed the more is pisses me off because it makes no god damn sense 

I didn't hate it, but I can certainly see why someone would. Gorr and Jane's story lines did not call for the comedy. They should have just been two separate movies given the interaction between them. 

My main irk for L&T was Thor kinda regressing into a dick head again. Like he uses the Bifrost in the Asgard Town Hall and just puts a huge hole in the roof and doesn't give a shit. Or leveling that Aliens city or whatever. That's literally a Lina Inverse joke lol. 

Say what you will about Dark World, Thor walked away from people when using the Bifrost because it's destructive and he cares now. 

Oh and the screaming Goats got old after like...the 3rd time. 

Edited by RSG3
Just now, DangerousJ said:

https://www.superherohype.com/movies/516925-deadpool-deadpool-2-and-logan-are-coming-to-disney

Deadpool 1 and 2 and Logan are coming to Disney Plus (US) tomorrow!

You got too slowed homie! 

also, here’s the first look at Moon Girl and Devil Dino. 

I absolutely love everything about that clip. I’m so excited 

40 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I dunno if I'm interested in a Felicia movie, shes my favorite of Parkers side pieces, but shes not exactly interesting...

Not that I'm all that interested in a Madame Web movie mind you.

I’m mad you said Parker side piece because I wanted to bring up when Otto was Spidey he was banging the super awesome midget chick. 

Edited by iStu X
19 hours ago, RSG3 said:

I dunno if I'm interested in a Felicia movie, shes my favorite of Parkers side pieces, but shes not exactly interesting...

Not that I'm all that interested in a Madame Web movie mind you.

I did like Spiderman comics way more when he was with Felicia instead of Mary Jane.  She was a way better fit for his superhero lifestyle.

2 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I just hope they don't fuck up X-Men 97'. I'm assuming they will, so I can hopefully be pleasantly surprised.

I am hoping for once they don't let the followers of "THE MESSAGE" taint another IP with their stupid bullshit.  So far it sounds to have some real promise especially with Magneto heading the Xmen, who I always felt had a much more pragmatic and realistic philosophy.  #MAGNETOWASRIGHT

20 minutes ago, J-ride said:

I am hoping for once they don't let the followers of "THE MESSAGE" taint another IP with their stupid bullshit.  So far it sounds to have some real promise especially with Magneto heading the Xmen, who I always felt had a much more pragmatic and realistic philosophy.  #MAGNETOWASRIGHT

What's Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five have to do with this? 😉

They really seem to be going with the Uncanny X-men 200 look (which was short lived) just with long hair.

Also, that was the issue where Xavier was at deaths door and  leaves the New Mutants under Magnus' care and he joins with the X-men. (That situation was sort of homaged/referenced in the last episode of x-men TAS where Lilandra takes him to live under Shi'ar care.)

s-l640.jpg

Edited by DangerousJ
7 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/first-look-at-x-treme-x-men-2-from-chris-claremont-salvador-larroca/

Chris Claremont and Salvador Larroca return for a 5 part X-treme X-men miniseries.

It will debut on November 30.

xtreme2022001_cover.jpeg

I’m cautiously optimistic for this. His original run of X-Treme X-Men was really bad. He has a 5 or 6 part Gambit mini-series that starts next month. Hopefully it’ll be good 

I just finished Ms. Marvel.

Pros: 

90% of the depictions of Pakistanis/Indians/Middle Eastern/Muslim folks were respectful and mostly accurate. 

As the first "Desi" show/movie of the MCU, I'm glad that Feige/upper management hired many Pakistani/Indian/ME cast/crew.

It could have gone very badly in untrained hands. Bravo Marvel!

Iman as Kamala is very charming/goofy/ and fun. I liked all the supporting cast too.

The use of animated drawings and bright color in the show and credits was great. Also, using "desi" music throughout was something I never thought I'd hear in a MCU production.

Tying  her story to the 1947 partition of India/Pakistan was a cool idea and heightened the emotional aspects. Truth be told, WW2 is a main real world event that is used a lot, so its neat that somehing Western folks may know less about is featured.

Cons:

It was very rushed. OF all the D+ shows of the last 1-2 years, this one NEEDED to be 8-10  hourlong eps minimum. 

The mom goes from being mad at her disappearances/actions in eps 1-3 to encouraging her to become a vigilante by ep 6.

The brother doesn't seem to have much anger about the wedding disruption lol.

Nakia finds out the truth and oops lets run to Pakistan lol.  A very abrupt change that I know was necessitated for plot reasons.

Having both Damage control and the Clandestine as villains was too much for the limited time. The clandestine should have been the sole villains and more background info and intrigue should have been added. 

Most people wont really care, but I hate how they mispronounce Kamala's name in the whole show. 

In India, the name is generally a Hindu woman's name and is supposed to be pronounced like the American VP's name.

I'm guessing the comic writers went with that name to keep the alliterative nature that many other Marvel characters have (Peter Parker, Reed Richards etc)

The name is unlikely to be used as a Muslim woman's name.

Overall:  8/10

Probably my second favorite Disney Plus MCU after Wandavision and one of the few Id like to see a second season of.