Stage Select

The Marvel comics and Mcu thread

45 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I don't want a movie about T'challa's mom. Give me T'challa!

I mean, it kinda has to be? Like I said, it looks like Namor is responsible for T’Challa’s death. So the movie is going to revolve around that.

Chadwick is dead and the actress that plays Shuri who was also supposed to replace Chadwick as Panther is an anti-vaxx nut case so that was dropped.

So with those factors they had to rewrite the script twice. They probably won’t unveil M’Baku as the new Panther until towards the end of the movie 

Edited by iStu X
39 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

But...a whole bunch of shit happened....did we not watch the same shit?

Smooth-braining for the win. 🤣

THe concept of the multiverse was introduced, setup a new backstory for Cap, made a new anti-hero, and provided a little more "magic" in the MCU. They are probably one of those people that didn't like a fair bit of it which equates to nothing happened. 

22 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Man I don’t even care. I love Cosmo. He’s such a great character. Russian Cosmonaut Dog that develops psychic powers and is head of security of a black market planet that’s the head of a dead god? 

fuck yes. Sign me the fuck up. 

If they swap sexes, a "bad bitch" joke is just waiting 🤣.  

Edited by OPTIMUS124

Ah, there was a brief shot of someone in a Black Panther suit near the end of that teaser, of course it's most likely Shuri.... though I thought she was dropped due to being anti-vax...?  ..and if they go that route, or put T'Challah's mom as Panther... no way you can convince me that makes logical sense, at least via the normal method you become Black Panther.  They would have to do some alternative (cheat) method of doing it.  (*seriously...assume we're talking about the normal process... you're telling me that dainty little Shuri can defeat a big NFL Linebacker-sized dude like M'baku in 1 on 1 pure combat?  Ha, mannn please.  The realistic, believable result would be like that time Videl fought Sopovitch in DBZ.)

With Namor being involved...I'm guessing his powerlevel has to be massively toned down here in MCU (like a lot of characters), since in the comics, this is a guy that can fight against beings like the Hulk like it's no problem.

2 minutes ago, MillionX said:

Ah, there was a brief shot of someone in a Black Panther suit near the end of that teaser, of course it's most likely Shuri.... though I thought she was dropped due to being anti-vax...?  ..and if they go that route, or put T'Challah's mom as Panther... no way you can convince me that makes logical sense, at least via the normal method you become Black Panther.  They would have to do some alternative (cheat) method of doing it.  (*seriously...assume we're talking about the normal process... you're telling me that dainty little Shuri can defeat a big NFL Linebacker-sized dude like M'baku in 1 on 1 pure combat?

If it's not Shuri, it'll be Nakia. 

With M'Baku, the challenge is more a formality than a rite. T'Challa was gonna take it but M'Baku wasn't cool with Wakanda at the time. Post-Endgame, I think things are good. 

Funny thing is that I thought the general costume design for Meteor Man isn't half bad... like it could look cool in comics if you get the right artist drawing that....it's a shame that he was designed as a comedic character.  

Fast forward to present day, and that focus on comedy is a main gripe I have with the average superhero film of today.  It just gets more irritating for me as time goes on and we get more of the same "must have a joke every 30 seconds" shit, tbh.  Now I'm wondering if Wakanda Forever will suffer from that typical Marvel-movie tone....since the trailer presents it as a more serious story.  I would hope it adheres to that since it would be a welcome change from the usual "2 hour comedy routine" they tend to make for superhero movies/shows now.

Outside of the big 2---I'm not sure what the hold-up is with Todd bringing Spawn back either as a series or a movie but I'd love Spawn to come back in a big way ..... run a master class for the big 2 on how this "badass superhero" thing should be done.

Edited by MillionX
1 hour ago, iStu X said:

Really? Wild. I’ve only seen both Guardian movies once and hated both. So I try to erase everything about them from my mind palace 

I cannot remember the cameo in Guardians 2, but the first movie had Cosmo among The Collector’s possessions. After one of his slaves blew up the place with the Power Stone, there’s a small scene showing Cosmo walk away.

4 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

I can't believe 2 Avengers movies are coming out the same year.

I wonder if Russo Bros to direct either of them or they'll go for someone whos directed another MCU film, or just get someone totally new?

secret wars has to be the russos

Man I hated how Namor flooding Wakanda was handled in the comics, as I saw the strings linking it back to Doomwar a few years earlier as a editorial attempt to nerf Wakanda as being the most advanced nation in the Marvel comics universe plus removing the T'Challa and Storm relationship. Hopefully like Civil War they exceed the original story and tell a very good story.

52 minutes ago, Maxx said:

secret wars has to be the russos

I hope not. 

17 minutes ago, Wellman said:

Man I hated how Namor flooding Wakanda was handled in the comics, as I saw the strings linking it back to Doomwar a few years earlier as a editorial attempt to nerf Wakanda as being the most advanced nation in the Marvel comics universe plus removing the T'Challa and Storm relationship. Hopefully like Civil War they exceed the original story and tell a very good story.

I rewatched the trailer a few times and  got a lot of AvX and Doom War vibes. 

With the rumors of a race-swapped Magneto likely about to come true soon... I wonder if this is finally a bridge that went too far on this issue?  ...since y'know---Jewish people happen to be another minority.  Up to this point, "The Blackening" of various white characters has been seen because "eh, it's just regular white people so this type of discrimination is ok." or "well what about all those previous times when a white person played ____?"  I'm wondering if they actually fucked up for real this time, if it turns out to be the case that we'll see a very brown-skinned Magneto (perhaps Giancarlo Esposito; those the rumor mill is buzzing about him being Xavier) on the big-screen.... and changing Magneto in terms of ethnic background actually does drastically change what his background story is.

Oh yeahhhhh... I'm just here to laugh on the sidelines about the inevitable fallout when this shit hits the fan.  There's no way they can keep that up for too long...especially when you're stepping on another minority in the race-swapping process there.  It would be nice to go back to a time when it was crucial that an actor had at least some basic resemblance to the character he or she is playing.  

I saw someone on fb the other day bring up Spawn and I'd agree---if it were the other way around and a new Spawn movie drops but it's Zac Effron or goofy- ass chump looking Seth Rogens as Al Simmons then right off top ya lost me with that clown-show nonsense.

EDIT---it would be interesting to get the genuine opinion on the matter of a Magneto possible race-swap from Jewish people...I'm sure the youtubers out there (e.g. Perri Nemiroff and Emma and Roxy, formerly of Collider come to mind) might have a slightly different *real* opinion off-air compared to whatever they'd be willing to say publicly on their channels.

Edited by MillionX
1 hour ago, MillionX said:

With the rumors of a race-swapped Magneto likely about to come true soon... I wonder if this is finally a bridge that went too far on this issue?  ...since y'know---Jewish people happen to be another minority.  Up to this point, "The Blackening" of various white characters has been seen because "eh, it's just regular white people so this type of discrimination is ok." or "well what about all those previous times when a white person played ____?"  I'm wondering if they actually fucked up for real this time, if it turns out to be the case that we'll see a very brown-skinned Magneto (perhaps Giancarlo Esposito; those the rumor mill is buzzing about him being Xavier) on the big-screen.... and changing Magneto in terms of ethnic background actually does drastically change what his background story is.

At this point it will be difficult to keep Magneto's history as a Holocaust survivor without some serious comic book fuckery to justify it or make it a period piece. If Marvel wants a modern X-Men then they'll need to use another genocide for Magneto's origin. Which one they use will influence his race. Say if they use the Uyghur genocide for Magneto then he'll need to be Chinese or the Rohingya massacre then he'll need to be Muslim.

Yeah, and that's the problem with tying a character's background to a real historical event like that...unless from the jump part of his/her deal is that they happen to be immortal or have slowed aging.  Since they are "mutants", the excuse would be easy enough when you just establish the fact that some or even all mutants age slower than normal humans.  This would explain away why Magneto still looks like a young or just middle-aged man despite being from so far back in history, when in reality he should be like 80+ or 90-something at this point.  I'd keep the WW2 background story and go with the "slowed aging" excuse.... we already have 1 popular example of that in the lore with Wolverine being 200+ years old if I recall, though he's typically drawn to look like a guy that's mid to late 30s.

1 minute ago, MillionX said:

Yeah, and that's the problem with tying a character's background to a real historical event like that...unless from the jump part of his/her deal is that they happen to be immortal or have slowed aging.  Since they are "mutants", the excuse would be easy enough when you just establish the fact that some or even all mutants age slower than normal humans.  This would explain away why Magneto still looks like a young or just middle-aged man despite being from so far back in history, when in reality he should be like 80+ or 90-something at this point.  I'd keep the WW2 background story and go with the "slowed aging" excuse.... we already have 1 popular example of that in the lore with Wolverine being 200+ years old if I recall, though he's typically drawn to look like a guy that's mid to late 30s.

Wolverine can be 200+ years old because his powers allow for that. Same for Apocalypse. Magneto powers don't allow for extended life like theirs do. I don't think having the X-gene at it's base extend life just for one character is a good idea.

1 hour ago, MillionX said:

Oh yeahhhhh... I'm just here to laugh on the sidelines about the inevitable fallout when this shit hits the fan.  There's no way they can keep that up for too long...especially when you're stepping on another minority in the race-swapping process there.  It would be nice to go back to a time when it was crucial that an actor had at least some basic resemblance to the character he or she is playing.  

I saw someone on fb the other day bring up Spawn and I'd agree---if it were the other way around and a new Spawn movie drops but it's Zac Effron or goofy- ass chump looking Seth Rogens as Al Simmons then right off top ya lost me with that clown-show nonsense.

EDIT---it would be interesting to get the genuine opinion on the matter of a Magneto possible race-swap from Jewish people...I'm sure the youtubers out there (e.g. Perri Nemiroff and Emma and Roxy, formerly of Collider come to mind) might have a slightly different *real* opinion off-air compared to whatever they'd be willing to say publicly on their channels.

I agree that changing his ethnicity does change the circumstance in the backstory. It'll be interesting to see how it gets done, However, we already had Magneto's backstory done exceptionally well in First Class. A different treatment/circumstance that brands him as the "other" can be done, it just needs to be compelling. 

If it is Giancarlo Epsosito as a possible Magneto, he's been a great villain in multiple stories within the last decade. You may get the smug goat look from some, but you know that performance is gonna be awesome. Personally, I'd rather see him as Professor X. 

36 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

I just want the MCU Xavier to be be MURRICAN this time around.

Brain: Are you thinking what I am thinking?

Pinky: Vin will probably have some time on his hands once the last Fast movie is done. But will that confuse the Groot fan base?