Stage Select

Retro Gaming Thread (pre PS3/XB360)

Anyone else have a little retro collection?

I expanded mine about 7-8 years ago. I think prices have gone up significantly since then. 

I got a pretty light PS1, NES collection and a slightly larger SNES collection.

I got a lot of them from NintendoAge which shut down about a year ago. RIP

It was the best to buy from other collectors instead of eBay cocksuckers trying to gouge people. The price discrepancy was insane. 

If you do collect, what are you looking for currently? What holy grail do you own?

I have quite a few old retro games. I prefer to collect just older games that meant a lot to me growing up. So far, I have CIB Phantasy Star 1 for the Master System and CIB Phantasy Star 2 and 3 for the Genesis. Other additions include the N64 staples (Mario, Kart, each version of both Zelda games, and of course, Mischief Makers) and a LOT of NES titles. I did have two copies of Kickmaster, but sold one to a guy here in Vegas.

I usually just pick up whatever I can find as far as retro games are concerned. Most stores do indeed price gouge like crazy. Earlier this year I went on a gameboy cartridge buying spree. I still have a lot of games and consoles from my childhood such as my snes, genesis, n64 ps1/ps2,xbox,etc. Also bought a NES bundle with a bunch of games at the start of the year. I ended up investing in some flash carts which has really caused my actual game collecting to slow down.  

For the longest time the most expensive retro non-arcade game I owned was Conker's Bad Fur Day. I'm pretty sure that has gone down in price in recent years though.  

I wish I was old enough to really have my own money back like 13-15 years ago. Back when retro games were dirt cheap and plentiful

Edited by Foolinfection

I have a pretty big retro collection -- but unlike a lot of people, I have zero love for collecting cartridge-based games.  They're clunky and take up a lot of space.

I collect PS1, Saturn, and PS2 games, mostly Japanese ones.  I've also got a small collection of gaming-related steelbooks.

My favorite game in my collection is probably my copy of Street Fighter Zero 3 for Saturn, with the RAM cart.  My favorite console is probably my Omega MVS.

9jw2vpN.jpg

em1RJE7.jpg

Games that come in standard jewel/DVD cases get put into special sleeves to save space.  The sleeves store all the paper inserts and discs safely but reduce the bulk.  There's no way I'd be able to keep this stuff using the standard cases.

48 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

I preffer collecting carts ovwr discs. 

As even if burried in a landfill a cart can be saved and made working. Once a CD is trashed, it's trash and can be thrown out.

Also carts don't degrade like discs do. 

I'm not gonna lie -- I realize I'm basically collecting the discs for the paper inserts/manuals.  ISOs are easy to find online and In the end I'm gonna be using ODEs for everything anyway.  🤣

17 hours ago, misterBee said:

I have a pretty big retro collection -- but unlike a lot of people, I have zero love for collecting cartridge-based games.  They're clunky and take up a lot of space.

I collect PS1, Saturn, and PS2 games, mostly Japanese ones.  I've also got a small collection of gaming-related steelbooks.

My favorite game in my collection is probably my copy of Street Fighter Zero 3 for Saturn, with the RAM cart.  My favorite console is probably my Omega MVS.

9jw2vpN.jpg

em1RJE7.jpg

Games that come in standard jewel/DVD cases get put into special sleeves to save space.  The sleeves store all the paper inserts and discs safely but reduce the bulk.  There's no way I'd be able to keep this stuff using the standard cases.

hahah Shiettt, I'm lucky I got the room for all my shit.

I definitely love keeping everything in jewel cases for PS1 at least.

All my NES and SNES carts are loose, mainly cause of space... And how ridiculous the prices become.

7 minutes ago, Jurassic said:

I keep seeing new emulator handhelds coming out constantly and I was wondering if anyone here uses them. There is some that are obvious pieces of trash, but the quality seems to get better over time. Anyone rely on handhelds for their retro fix?

My best handheld emulator is my PSP.

Plays CPS1/2 easily too, so you got MvC1, XvSF and others on the go.

3 hours ago, RSG3 said:

CVIV changes too much about the formula kinda wrecking the balance and why enemies are designed the way they are. It's a great game but I think its one of the weaker classic CVS and have found it ruins people for other classic CVs if they play it first. 

Changes too much how? The diagonal whipping and stuff?

11 minutes ago, odin said:

Changes too much how? The diagonal whipping and stuff?

Yup, as well as being able to alter jump trajectory in mid air, and move while crouching. The biggest offender is the 8 way whipping tho, it invalidates all the sub weapons except the Cross. Thats a massive shame imo. Why carry the Axe or the Holy Water when you can whip up in 3 directions and down in 3 directions?

Edited by RSG3
Just now, RSG3 said:

Yup, as well as being able to alter jump trajectory in mid air, and move while crouching. The biggest offender is the 8 way whipping tho, it invalidates all the sub weapons except the Cross. Thats a massive shame imo. Why carry the Axe or the Holy Water when you can whip up in 3 directions and down in 3 directions?

Yea, they definitely thought "Hey it's 16-bit, we can do all this fancy shit now!"
Then they made SOTN and it all went out the window lol

2 minutes ago, odin said:

Yea, they definitely thought "Hey it's 16-bit, we can do all this fancy shit now!"
Then they made SOTN and it all went out the window lol

More like they thought "Hey we can do all this fancy shit now" without thinking about how it all will impact the over all health of the game. 

SOTN is even more guitly of this even tho i still really like the game. 

Edited by RSG3
1 minute ago, RSG3 said:

More like they thought "Hey we can do all this fancy shit now" without thinking about how it all will impact the over all health of the game. 

SOTN is even more guitly of this even tho i still really like the game. 

We can agree, that all of them are fun.

41 minutes ago, odin said:

I've definitely found SOTN to be super hyped more than CV4.

Out of all my friends, nobody even talks highly of CV4 lol

Yea but go inot CV circles and talk classic CV and people praise 4 up and down lol. 

With that said im hardly one to talk i sing the praises of Rondo and Bloodlines constantly so yea. 

So on one hand I want this because I love PC Engine and it's prettier than a MiSTer, and on the other hand it's got an actual disc drive that is just gonna fail after a while like the original Turbo Duos...

I'm gonna be running ISOs in the end anyway so unless this thing lets you run your own disc image files the MiSTer probably a better choice. 🤔

On 10/14/2020 at 10:24 PM, Jurassic said:

Anyone rely on handhelds for their retro fix?

I use a *New* 3DS and it works pretty well. I use it mostly for NES, SNES, Genesis, GBC, GBA, DS, and 3DS. All of them work pretty well. Haven't experienced any slowdown on any of the emulators. Apparently it can also run certain N64 and PS1 games via RetroArch, but I haven't dabbled into that.

Really my only complaint is the dpad placement, after a while hand starts cramping, but everything else has been solid.

3 hours ago, Lantis said:

My playthrough of Mega Man X (was kinda being a dumbass searching for the Hadoken when I was missing a heart container LOL)

I love the X series. The first website I ever made was devoted to Mega Man X.

That being said, the X series has some serious bullshit when it comes to finding secret stuff.

I remember printing out guides from GameFAQs and putting them into binders so I could look at them while I played.  There was no way in hell a normal person was going to figure out how to get the gold armor in X3 without help.  Getting the Z-saber required arcane knowledge.  It amazes me anyone figured this stuff out.

In X4 you needed to input a lengthy special code at the character select screen to get Ultimate Armor X or Black Zero.  In the PC version you just needed to enter Up + Spacebar.  Random as hell.

4 hours ago, misterBee said:

In X4 you needed to input a lengthy special code at the character select screen to get Ultimate Armor X or Black Zero.  In the PC version you just needed to enter Up + Spacebar.  Random as hell.

Both of these armors can be found in game without using a code. 

X1 and X4 are my favorite. Zero is a damn dream in X4. X is tons of fun in 1. After X4 Zero falls off hard until the Z series where he fun again, but depending on the game his abilities can be hidden away behind dumb as fuck grade scores that are super fucking hard to meet for most people, especially on a fucking portable. 

Edited by RSG3
23 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Both of these armors can be found in game without using a code. 

X1 and X4 are my favorite. Zero is a damn dream in X4. X is tons of fun in 1. After X4 Zero falls off hard until the Z series where he fun again, but depending on the game his abilities can be hidden away behind dumb as fuck grade scores that are super fucking hard to meet for most people, especially on a fucking portable. 

X5 straight Z saber is pretty tight though.

I'm pretty sure you need to have the code inputted to get Ultimate Armor in X4.  When you do it X's normal armor changes color and you get Ultimate Armor after entering the leg upgrade capsule.

9 minutes ago, misterBee said:

X5 straight Z saber is pretty tight though.

I really despise how they moved his specials to a separate button. 

9 minutes ago, misterBee said:

I'm pretty sure you need to have the code inputted to get Ultimate Armor in X4.  When you do it X's normal armor changes color and you get Ultimate Armor after entering the leg upgrade capsule.

I am pretty sure you can get the X Ultimate Armor in the last stage of Sigmas Caslte its just a bit nerfed from the code version. Might be thinking of X5 tho, its been a while. 

1 hour ago, odin said:

Oh yea, I agree.

Unless you mean Jap-only games, then I disagree haha Cause I still wanna play the translated roms on my SNES.

I tend to just play those on Emulators, but those are fine as Repros to me to. I wouldnt be against buying a "Trials of Mana" Snes cart for example.