Stage Select

The Movie Thread: Wait? Not Everything is Marvel or DC!?

On 7/8/2022 at 11:33 PM, Crucades said:

Gonna be trash I think, Kevin Smith hasnt produced anything good since the 90s.

I think Chasing Amy was the closest thing he ever got to a masterpiece but the ending of that movie was a shitshow.  He had a great movie with a great message and then fumbled on the 5 yard line.  

38 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

So how long do you think it'll be that OAN will blame Disney on this because of "woke"?

"Wokeness is new in Hollywood you know. They never had this inclusinonist, trans shit in my movies when I was growing up!" Some dude who really didn't pay attention to the media he consumed. 

Another good one was someone on Tiktok last night using the Optimus Prime speech from the end of the first Tansformers movie to "Send out a message to those who still identify as men"....using TRANSformers. 

Irony is dead to these people. 

Edited by RSG3
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw Bullet-Train

Honestly, I really enjoyed it. It's more style over substance (in a good way). This felt like it should have been released in the mid-2000s. All of the performances were solid, the action was slick, and there are a few cameos to boot. I'd give this one your time. 

As of right now,  this is how I'd rank the 2022 movies I saw in theaters based on my general feelings at recall:

1. Top Gun: Maverick
  2. Everything, Everywhere All at Once
  3. Bullet-Train
  4. The Batman
  5. Sonic 2
  6. Thor: Love and Thunder
  7. The Norseman
  8. Dr. Strange and the Multiverse of Madness

1 hour ago, iStu X said:

My favorite movie I’ve seen this year is Bobs Burgers. No contest. I absolutely love the series, love all the cast (I’ve been huge fans of Eugene Mirman, Kristen Schaal and Jon H. Benjamin since early middle school) and the animation was top notch. 

after that probably The Batman. 

I missed out twice getting the Steelbook for Bob's Burgers. My wife and I are two episodes from being caught up on the series. Then we'll watch the movie. 

• 2 weeks later...

John Wayne was the poster boy for conservative Hollywood at the time.  There were two different Hollywoods at that time and they were constantly competing.  Not really sure if he was that much of a dick, I just think he was born in 1918 and wasn't exactly open to the 60s cultural zeitgeist of the hippy movement.  From what I have seen he just acted like typical Greatest Generation, though I do respect Jimmy Stuart more because he volunteered for WW2 and flew actual combat missions.  There is a documentary about his time in the service, it's pretty incredible.

Edited by J-ride
39 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Finally watched Nope before it left the theaters here.

I am glad I did, It is a really good movie.

Loved...

Hide contents

... the design of the Alien, specially at the end, it was, Alien, lol

Spoiler

How they came up with the design is even more fascinating. Its, arguably, not an Alien. 

12 minutes ago, RSG3 said:
  Hide contents

Octopus and other sealife shit. Jordan wanted it to look alien but also look like and behave like something that could exist on earth 

It is what I thought

Spoiler

It makes sense, since there are some really, and I mean REALLY weird shit that some marine life do, act or are.
Like, there is a "jellyfish" that is more like a colony of multiple animals that act as if they were organs for a bigger animal, each spcializing so much into the role, that they can't function without the rest.

BTW

Spoiler

I liked the Akira Reference

I am glad that I didn't watch any trailer about the movie, since it helped each scene to be a full surprise for me.

Edited by Hecatom