Stage Select

The Movie Thread: Wait? Not Everything is Marvel or DC!?

3 hours ago, iStu X said:

I need to see it. I was rarely using Netflix so I canceled. I’ll be at my girlfriends for like a week who has nextflix so I’m going to try and watch it then

Yeah Knives Out 2 will be the next movie I watch. Just gotta find the time. I only have a few hours at night to do any leisurely activities like watching a show or movie, or playing videogames. I've got the next five days off so hopefully we can get the kiddo down early enough one of these nights. But my wife and I also recently started Yellowstone, which is only 45 mins per episode, so it's a little easier to throw on in the evening. Especially on work nights. And I'm still playing through GoW Ragnarok, so some nights are reserved for that.

Fucking, I love being a dad more than any goddamn thing in this life. But holy hell does it take up all your free time 😂

Edited by Chadouken

Watched Avatar on IMAX 3D... Used some points on my card so it was 10 canadian dollars only, however those 3 h dude. IT WAS THE SAME FUCKING MOVIE!!! SAME PLOT SAME SHIT. Ok no big phoenix, instead we get a big whale wow I am glad I waited 9 years for that. Basically they rehashed the first movie, moved it from forest to the beach, made it longer and ppl are loving it. Fuck Hollywood

6 minutes ago, Lantis said:

So I finally got the chance to watch Top Gun Maverick on stream last night. I mean, I know the movie got like a TON of praise but I thought it was just good? I was entertained but didn't get my socks blown off like everyone made it out to be.

Maybe I was spoiled by all the hype I guess

That movie needs to be experienced in the theater for full effect.

Saw M3GAN tonight. 

C+

I really wanted to shoot over the moon for this one, but it was honestly just OK. The movie had some pretty solid bones, but it just didn't do a whole lot. Granted, every time the bot is on screen, it's great. Also, it's very clear this was a hard R and they reeled it in  to make it a PG-13. This is more a "matinee and I'm bored" or "Netflix and clean" release. I don't regret spending the money as I had enough fun in the theater but you certainly don't need to rush for this one.  

On 1/6/2023 at 1:29 PM, Lantis said:

So I finally got the chance to watch Top Gun Maverick on stream last night. I mean, I know the movie got like a TON of praise but I thought it was just good? I was entertained but didn't get my socks blown off like everyone made it out to be.

Maybe I was spoiled by all the hype I guess

On 1/6/2023 at 1:36 PM, Chadouken said:

That movie needs to be experienced in the theater for full effect.

This is definitely the case. Tom Cruise made the right call to keep this one off of streaming platforms. 

This scene is the exact moment that pushed me into loving this film. The movie made a time trial into a nail biting experience.

Sure, you can emulate this at home with the right setup, but on the big screen it was something ridiculous. I also got the chance to see it in 4DX. Think of it as a lighter version of the ride simulators at a theme park (seats moving, wind, etc). That scene alone made the film honestly worth the price of admission. 

Also, new trailer from A24

Edited by OPTIMUS124
  • 2 weeks later...

Skinamarink was the most God awful piece of shit movie I've ever seen. I'm convinced it's a joke to see how much money they could make off hype and a $100 budget. I like some weird shit. This was absolute garbage. "Experimental"? No. "Indie"? No. "Atmospheric"? No. 

Fucking absolute trash. The fucking intro screen plot of mario kart would be considered citizen Kane compared to this trash. 

I know @MillionXloves making disgusting mii chsracters. Name one skinamarink and there you go. Nothing will ever come close. Piss  purse? Doo doo drag racer? Stinky ring finger? None of these come close to how disgusting it is that people are being charged to see that "film". I'd rather top off stu's foreskin after a pokemon anime sesh then watch 5 seconds of that piece of shit movie again.

• 2 weeks later...

^well well... it has the legendary sexpot Grace Goddamn Byers in it so I'm automatically down for watching that movie.  I was hoping she would not fade away into obscurity; I first saw her on the show Empire...later she was in that show I forgot the name of about mutants (like Xmen mutants) called "The Gifted".

There is no flaw: https://www.instagram.com/ladygracebyers/ Absolute smokeshow, this one.

Edited by MillionX
4 hours ago, Dracu said:

How's Creed III?

Good in the Toy Story 4 kind of way. 

You had the perfect offramp but decided to go for one more and the conclusion (while decent) would have been a better break at the end of the last movie. 

That said, Michael B. Jordan's first run as director is pretty good. Also, Majors kills it with charisma anytime he is on screen. The final fight gave me some anime vibes in an endearing way. Overall, I'd recommend seeing it. 

4 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Good in the Toy Story 4 kind of way. 

You had the perfect offramp but decided to go for one more and the conclusion (while decent) would have been a better break at the end of the last movie. 

That said, Michael B. Jordan's first run as director is pretty good. Also, Majors kills it with charisma anytime he is on screen. The final fight gave me some anime vibes in an endearing way. Overall, I'd recommend seeing it. 

Yea. It was said they intentionally wanted the fights to be inspired by anime, I think Naruto, DBZ, Ippo and a few others were mentioned by name by Michael B

Edited by HD-Man

Saw JW4 last night as well. I also think I shouldn’t say much, but it was a great time. The pacing of it was smooth. Wasn’t getting tired of watching it despite the runtime. And the new assassins were great. The one played by Donnie Yen was a standout in my opinion.

And for those wondering, they were able to update the film to have a small tribute for Lance Reddick.  May he rest in peace.

Edited by BornWinner
13 hours ago, Lantis said:

That movie is giving off DB Evolution vibes

The Stones of the Flop Gauntlet have been assembled

1) Been in development hell for several years with a large number of rejected scripts

2) Immense lack of marketing despite impending release date

3) Riding the coattails of a more popular franchise (MCU)

4) setting up sequels before the original is even out

5) generic orchestra music in trailer

That being said, the garbage Netflix series which this film seems to be based off of already braced me for the parts of the story that will offend me as a longtime fan, and there are certain parts of this film like the quality of the Cloths that look way better than I was initially expecting.  Unfortunately, it's an uphill battle that Toei is climbing and they'll likely lose in trying to get this franchise to reach the nearly delusional ambitions that Toei's executives apparently have.  

I have begged for a Saint Seiya Tokusatsu for YEARS because it's an anime that would lend itself almost seamlessly to the medium, but this is racing towards the same one-and-done failure that 2017 Power Rangers suffered. I actually liked that movie as a Rangers fan despite the glaring flaws like barely any Ranger action which is what anyone is going to watch PR for, but it was easy to see why it didn't get a second chance.

They're probably hoping to fool normies into thinking this is a Nova Corps movie and Shura in the trailer is a Loki variant LOL

Edited by Psychoblue

I also kinda cringe when it seems to be aiming for just a 1-on-1 confrontation between Seiya and Ikki (although I heard a rumor that he's now called Nero? LOL GTFO). So no Hyoga? No Shiryu? No Shun? Seriously how can you have Ikki without Shun?

Also Sean Bean and Famke Janssen are clearly showing their "I'm just here for the paycheck" moods

5 minutes ago, Lantis said:

I also kinda cringe when it seems to be aiming for just a 1-on-1 confrontation between Seiya and Ikki (although I heard a rumor that he's now called Nero? LOL GTFO). So no Hyoga? No Shiryu? No Shun? Seriously how can you have Ikki without Shun?

Also Sean Bean and Famke Janssen are clearly showing their "I'm just here for the paycheck" moods

Not that I would recommend that crap to anyone, but if you really want a spoiler alert for what this story is going for, check out the Netflix adaptation because that was made around the same time the film started getting made and it was clear that the script for the Netflix arc was what the script for this film is going for.

Shiryu was named Long, Hyoga is now Magnus, and Shun is now a girl named Shaun. Yes, Shaun is still in love with June. And yes, if you thought Ikki being attracted to his master's daughter because she reminded him of Shun was weird before, it's even weirder now. 

Edited by Psychoblue

Oh yeah I watched the first 2 seasons of that Netflix abomination, and I couldn't stomach watching any further ones  (I think there was one more). Didn't mind Shun's gender swap aside from the fact that they changed nothing else about the character, so why even bother LOL.

But at least the Netflix series had all the Bronze Saints, where the hell are they in this movie? If they plan to introduce all in the last act of the movie, I'm gonna get pissed (not that I plan to watch it, in theatres at least)

2 minutes ago, Lantis said:

Oh yeah I watched the first 2 seasons of that Netflix abomination, and I couldn't stomach watching any further ones  (I think there was one more). Didn't mind Shun's gender swap aside from the fact that they changed nothing else about the character, so why even bother LOL.

But at least the Netflix series had all the Bronze Saints, where the hell are they in this movie? If they plan to introduce all in the last act of the movie, I'm gonna get pissed (not that I plan to watch it, in theatres at least)

Shun's gender swap pissed me off for that exact reason: it was basically hindsight saying "pink isn't a boy's color and he's not outwardly brave enough so we're going to make him a girl because girls are supposed to act and dress that way!"

Shun is one of my faves exactly because he's the runt of the group, and while he may not be as eager to fight as the others, he'll do what needs to be done because he was taught to face his fears. They could have doubled down on how he had June waiting for him at home if they really wanted to play up his masculinity to match the rest of the team.