Stage Select

The Movie Thread: Wait? Not Everything is Marvel or DC!?

John Wick 4 is escalation at it's finest. the movie deserves an honest shot for awards related to cinematography and stuntwork. Somehow the fourth movie about an assassin who went on a killing spree because someone stole his car and killed his dog still slaps. 

The way that things conclude, I do hope that this rounds everything out. 

Solid recommend.

Saw John Wick 4 today, shit was superb. My favorite scene is probably the part where he gets a certain new gun and starts lighting mfers up. Kinda reminded me of Hotline Miami the way they shot it

Spoiler

Also, John died. They announced part 5 so I thought he'd definitely live. 😭 But they never showed a body so I suppose they could do another

Edited by HD-Man
On 3/25/2023 at 1:30 PM, Chadouken said:

Yeah I won't be able to watch it for a while, either. I'm in VA for my grandma's funeral. Hoping next weekend I can check it out. But then the following week is SMB and that's a priority for me lol.

No D&D?

EDIT:

In a few weeks will have 2 movies based on games in theaters at the same time. When was the last time we had 2 or more movies based on games in the theaters at the same time?

Edited by Jion_Wansu

I just saw John Wick 4.

Pros:

Cinematography

Action  esp the top down sequence and the fight with the German fat guy

Ending

Cons

I was underwhelmed by the tracker /Mr. Nobody.

We see some dog action with Sofia in 3, and I was expecting something different character wise than him just upping the price on the Marquis

Misc:

Lance Reddick x 2! Sniff

8.5/10

I saw the Mario Movie, there were a ton of easter eggs including:

Spoiler

Charles Martinet (N64 Mario voice) playing a character who looked like Bob Hoskins Mario

The voice acting of Bowser (Jack Black) and Luigi (Charlie Day) were TOP TIER.  I felt kind of neutral about Chris Pratt.  After watching the movie it seemed fine.  Probably 1.5 hours of Martinet going WAAHOO would have probably sounded ridiculous, so I thought he was fine overall. 

It was pretty standard fair as far as movies go, I'd say it was at least as good as the Sonic Movie and since the whole thing was animated the movie had some pretty impressive use of colors and Nintendo properties.  There are a RIDICULOUS amount of Easter Eggs in the movie.

10 hours ago, Lantis said:

How can he have "known about Saint Seiya" yet "has zero knowledge of the original"? 🤔

That review sounds like BS

I'm seeing it more like "even if the movie is trash as a Seiya movie, at least Mackenryu as Seiya hard-carries." I felt the same about Tony Jaa in MonHun, if not for him the movie would have been significantly worse than it already was. 

Also I just got my tickets to see it May 13th. I wonder if it'll be a "private" showing like the one time I went to see Terminator Genisys. 

I'm seeing a lot of 7/10 and 8/10, saying that the cast did their best with what they had to work with and that Ikki (called Nero now because multiethnic retcon), Seiya, and Marin were highlights followed by Famke deciding to put some effort into her villain spot. 

Although to be fair, being Ikki's actor is Mexican, if he didn't tear the house down, he probably would have had his citizenship revoked LOL

Edited by Psychoblue

Okie dokie, the reviews I expected for KotZ ("It sucks!") are finally starting to pour in. Had me worried that somehow they made something good.

Heard it's flopping big time at the box office, as well.  Being that the first run of showings were in Japan and LATAM, if they tank there it's a safe bet they're going to tank everywhere other than than maybe China. 

What annoys me the most are all the fanboys trying to desperately salvage this movie by saying it's a "different take on the series" and to "go without expectations" as if they're seeing this as the last chance SS will ever become relevant in the mainstream again. Well guess what, DB Evolution was also a "different take" and I also went "without expectations" and it was still a massive pile of shit.

I don't think it has even be announced over here but I guess I'll just catch it whenever it comes out on streaming

Yeah I think it's safe to say that the Saint Seiya movie is a total bust. The critics have crushed it, the box office returns have been pretty dismal (even in Latin America and Asia which were supposed to be the "strong" markets for this movie), and I just watched a clip of the battle between Phoenix and Pegasus and....wow...the CGI must have been on a shoestring budget because that was fuckin awful.

And of course there is the toxic SS fanbase who chastise the haters because they are "not supporting the franchise". Like nah bro, it's OK to shun them off if they're giving me shit. If this is the future of the franchise, might as well take it to back of the toolshed and put it out of its'  misery

23 hours ago, Lantis said:

Yeah I think it's safe to say that the Saint Seiya movie is a total bust. The critics have crushed it, the box office returns have been pretty dismal (even in Latin America and Asia which were supposed to be the "strong" markets for this movie), and I just watched a clip of the battle between Phoenix and Pegasus and....wow...the CGI must have been on a shoestring budget because that was fuckin awful.

And of course there is the toxic SS fanbase who chastise the haters because they are "not supporting the franchise". Like nah bro, it's OK to shun them off if they're giving me shit. If this is the future of the franchise, might as well take it to back of the toolshed and put it out of its'  misery

60 Million USD budget must've all gone to get Sean Bean to collect his paycheck. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watched "The Little Mermaid" with my wife this weekend. This is one of the better remakes that Disney has done. Halle Bailey earned the role and does well throughout the film. While it starts as a 1:1 remake, it slowly introduces changes that make a difference. This one feels like they honestly gave a damn and went beyond "how much money can we print"? From the vibrancy of the colors,  the casting in the film and the new additions, this one is solid all the way around. Not a movie that I'd rush to see, but if you want to check it out, it won't disappoint you. 

Yep, it does seem to teeter into the "it's OK" territory

Although the Maximals not being a central focus point of the movie kinda throws me off a bit

Also no T-Rex Megatron and/or Dinobot? I dunno man.... Might watch it further down the road but definitely not in a rush

On 6/6/2023 at 5:14 PM, DangerousJ said:

You guys really hate me and the official TF thread lol

This  is more general movie space, now to geek out on who certain characters are, then TF thread is where it's at.

I also saw the movie tonight. Absolutely think this is the "good not great" variety.. Nothing really interesting happens and it's pretty much paint by the numbers. However, they fill the lines with all the right colors. It's worth checking out. 

Also Mirage is great. 

7/8 out of 10. (Ask me again in a few days to peg the number down 🤣

Edited by OPTIMUS124