Stage Select

The Movie Thread: Wait? Not Everything is Marvel or DC!?

4 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

So where you at the premiere where some unnamed actor actually tried to fuck around and find out with Michael Jai White?

Negative. . . 

Now I have to Google.

3 hours ago, HD-Man said:

Wait, thats out already?

Tis indeed. The one thing that surprised me was that it was a fairly mixed crowd.

Edited by OPTIMUS124

This was cool. It's rare to see a genuine moment in Hollywood. Side note, it reminds me of how they really missed the boat on "passing the torch" in the Indy franchise. They should have let "short round" take over. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/harrison-ford-surprised-ke-huy-quan-indiana-jones-red-carpet-tells-for-rcna89520

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

That was the peak ILM era. 

I think about the 07 Transformers movie and how it still holds up over 15 years later. 

Transformers absolutely holds up as well, I like the fact they didn't take shortcuts with the transformations when nobody probably would've batted an eye if it skipped certain things. They went the extra mile

And speaking of that, jumping back to Pirates, Davey Jones is probaby the best looking CGI I've ever seen. Like you couldn't tell its computer graphics until you look at his tentacles, which if nobody told you, you'd argue they were practical effects

Idk what's happened between that time and now, but the sauce was lost somewhere in how good CGI looked and how colorful films of old were 

Edited by HD-Man
17 hours ago, HD-Man said:

And speaking of that, jumping back to Pirates, Davey Jones is probaby the best looking CGI I've ever seen. Like you couldn't tell its computer graphics until you look at his tentacles, which if nobody told you, you'd argue they were practical effects

Bruh when I found out that it was all digital, I lost it. 

13:15 is where they start talking about him. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124

Renfield, the movie where Nick Cage is playing Dracula, is on Peacock so I watched it earlier today. My thoughts? Surprisingly decent. It’s cheesy especially with the copious amounts of blood throughout, but I enjoyed myself. What really surprised me was how straight Dracula was played.

Nick Cage throw in some cageisms as always, but dude was portrayed as a monster. He takes from many incarnations of Dracula and the threat of him was not played for laughs. Which considering what the marketing was like for the film, it was a real surprise to me. 

7/10. If anything, I would see this if you really like the idea of Nick as Dracula. One of the lines he said immediately reminded me of @AriesWarlock

On 7/11/2023 at 9:04 AM, axeman61 said:

I didn't even know MI:7 was out already. I thought google was bugging when they said it released 7/10.

But it's at my theater. Guess I know what I'm seeing tonight.

The MI series has been pretty consistently great the whole way through.  I didn't love MI2+3, but everything since Ghost Protocol has been absolute fire.

I saw this the other day, mostly because the usual suspects were screeching about how I shouldn't watch it.  I was pleasantly surprised to find out the movie was actually the opposite of what "THE MESSAGE" claimed it was.  The movie takes a pretty tempered approach as Ballard continually struggles to complete his mission and showed how difficult it is to not compromise and be the "good guy."

Edited by J-ride

I just got back from Indy 5.

Pros:

Generally good action scenes including the first 20 mins and the Morocco car  chase.

Ford's performance is still on point despite his age.

Nice ending scene

Cons:

The pacing is a bit slow. It could have shaved off 10-15 minutes off the runtime.

Voller could have used some more development. 

Like Crystal Skull, it looks too clean and modern. Also, it could have used some more scary or visceral scenes

Overall: Solid film. better than Crystal Skull, but a big step down from 1-3. 

7/10

Raiders 9/10
Last Crusade  8.5/10
Temple of Doom  8/10
Crystal  Skull 6.5/10

How is this possible when you have a boat load of action movies and nostalgia movies in the theaters like Oppenheimer, The Flash, Indiana Jones, and Mission Impossible 7?

Surprise Hit ‘Sound Of Freedom’ Moves Up In Box Office Rankings—Grossing $85 Million Despite

https://www.forbes.com/sites/anafaguy/2023/07/16/surprise-hit-sound-of-freedom-moves-up-in-box-office-rankings-grossing-85-million-despite-controversy/

On 7/11/2023 at 10:47 AM, GreyFoxx said:

The orchestra version:

Edited by Jion_Wansu
12 minutes ago, Jion_Wansu said:

How is this possible when you have a boat load of action movies and nostalgia movies in the theaters like Oppenheimer, The Flash, Indiana Jones, and Mission Impossible 7?

They bought a bunch of their own tickets to give away, while also encouraging people who see the movie to do the same. 

• 2 weeks later...

Mission Impossible 7

Pros:

Tying characters back to Ethan's pre MI life and the Kittredge from the first film

The Fiat chase and the hand to hand fights.

Uncharted 2 - Nuff Said

Haley Atwell as a character of ambiguous morality and shifting allegiance

Cons

Too long. Also the beginning is a bit slow.

While the bike stunt wasnt bad, it was just ok and there wasnt a big super stunt that was as good.

Overall: 8/10

As good as 1 and 4 (Ghost Protocol).

Rogue Nation and Fallout are better.

Edited by DangerousJ

I just rewarchrd MI1 two days ago and man that film holds up so well. I kinda wish the others had followed suit a bit. It's really impressive to have made an action thriller where almost no guns are fired (Ethan never fires a shot), almost no one is cold heartedly murdered (aside from the intro team). 

It's an amazing action film that manages to avoid almost every action film cliche and pitfall. It's so fucking good. 

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

I just rewarchrd MI1 two days ago and man that film holds up so well. I kinda wish the others had followed suit a bit. It's really impressive to have made an action thriller where almost no guns are fired (Ethan never fires a shot), almost no one is cold heartedly murdered (aside from the intro team). 

It's an amazing action film that manages to avoid almost every action film cliche and pitfall. It's so fucking good. 

I heard that MI2 was the way it was because people didn’t like how the first movie was. Which I guess means that it was too confusing and had a lot of quiet moments. Now I liked 2, but I felt it was the weakest of all of them so far (Haven’t seen Dead Reckoning yet) because it was so mindless. I’m glad it could find a nice balance between big action scenes and some quiet espionage.

Just now, BornWinner said:

I heard that MI2 was the way it was because people didn’t like how the first movie was. Which I guess means that it was too confusing and had a lot of quiet moments. Now I liked 2, but I felt it was the weakest of all of them so far (Haven’t seen Dead Reckoning yet) because it was so mindless. I’m glad it could find a nice balance between big action scenes and some quiet espionage.

Yea the first movie was criticized for being slow and confusing, I don't think it's confusing at all, but it's deffinitly a slower burn. I think the newer movies where really smart to home in on big ass stunts that have the feel and quality of the Langley Heist. 

MI2 just feels like an action movie with the MI sound track on it, to me anyway. Has some cool stunts but over all is just kinda dumb. I hate it's villain. 

I just saw Oppenheimer with my dad. He hasn't seen a movie in theaters since 2018.

Pros:

The casting/acting of the leads and bit parts. 

The score is bombastic when it needs to be and minimal when appropriate. The sound editing/fx were powerful and effective.

There's a 75/25 split in terms of history/politics and science that works.

Cons 

After the Test is completed, the security hearings with Strauss run a bit too long for my taste. It could have been trimmed

There are so many small characters to keep track of. While an important character, Emily Blunt is mostly missing during the  middle 1/3 of the film.

Overall:  8.5/10

Oh I saw Gran Turismo last Friday. I really enjoyed it. I'm surprised I hadn't heard the story before. I thought it was cool that Jann Mardenborough did the stunt driving for the actor playing him in the movie. Sometimes truth really is stranger than fiction. Top notch Gran Turismo player becomes a professional race car driver. That's nuts.

Side note: After the credits, they do a Q&A that's pretty informative.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Equalizer 3.

Pros:

Denzel's charm

Brutal action/kills when it happens

Italian landscapes

Cons

The main villain isn't shown until 1 hrs in and he is underwhelming imo.

Relatively few action scenes.

It's a slow burn movie for a relatively simple plot.

They want us to sympathize with the inhabitants of the town but a lot of characters are barely memorable  outside of the doctor and the cop. The waitress should have played a larger role. The movie is only 1 hr 42 m so they could have had more interaction from the them if they were intending for this to be the final movie in the series with McCall.

Overall: 7/10

Equalizer 3 feels a bit like a horror movie in the beginning and at the end. But all the victims deserve what they get... presumably. Probably the weakest of the movie franchise but still fun.

Saw The Outlaw Johnny Black yesterday afternoon. Missed the first 10 or 20 minutes but what I saw was good. It wasn't a wall to wall parody like Black Dynamite but it had some great jokes, interesting homages and a surprising decent  'Message' on forgiveness. I would recommend it. 

Edit: If you can find it. Wasn't a major release unfortunately.

Edited by Wellman
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...