Stage Select

The PC Gaming Thread, no console peasants allowed

DarkSakul

I spend the whole day working on this build. I kept screwing up and running into problems.

Reddit was right about the power supply. The stock cables are garbage. They are stiff and rigid making them difficult to bend and route. Damnit cooler master how you make cables like this for an SFX? The connectors were just as difficult. Absolute fucking nightmare. Where the cables come out it's pushing down on my GPU. I did what I could to relieve the tension but I might need a bracket to hold up the part that's sagging.

I also had some problems with the case as the snap ons popped out a couple of times. Thankfully none of them snapped. They need to be secured better that's for sure.

The tubes of my AIO were a tight fit. Thankfully they were flexible so I didn't have struggle. So glad the exhaust fans the case came with has grills.

I should have brought a fan controller. I have four fans and the heat sink for the gen 5 m.2 drive has a fan on it. The fan splitter I had wasn't enough. The m2 heat sink had to be left alone. I'll revisit it other time.

The inside of the is a complete rat nest but its working. I'm using the precision boost overdrive undervolt that optimum tech discovered so my 7700x won't default to 95 degrees and not lose performance. I decided to go with windows 11. I don't hear all the bitching about it anymore so it must reached a point that it works. Now to do the worst part and download all the drivers and windows updates

More PC building frustration.

Not only am I building a PC for myself and also building a new PC for my nephew. Initially I only wanted to upgrade his current system with a 5600x but his B450 board didn't have a bios update to make it work with 5000 series. I wish I have known that before buying the CPU. I brought a new board. Once I did that I went fuck it and decided to make it a new build.

I went with a NZXT H1 to make life easy. When I put the build together it wouldn't turn on. I was confused as the lights on the board were on and the RGB on the ram would flicker on so the system was getting power. When I opened up the case again that's when I saw it, I put the front panel connector on the USB2 pins. I made the switch and now the power button is receiving power but still doesn't turn on. I look at my connections again and notice I missed one pin on the front panel connector. Corrected that and I was finally able to turn it on. I hate having simple shit like this cause me grief.

While I was installing the graphics card the piece that seats the card to the slot broke off. Half of it did anyway. The GPU still seated just fine but need to get the rizer cable replaced. I'll hit up NZXT support to see if I can get a replacement.

While I was looking for the cause of my power issues the case slip off hands as I was flipping it and I cut my pinky on the fan header bending the pins! I straightened them out as best I could. I hope I don't have to use it in the future 👀

21 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I tired to fix my GPU sag by tying some PSU cables to the shroud and using Jayz two cents method of stacking the case clips. Doing both has helped a lot but I still have the sag. I need something to help hold up that end of the GPU.

There's something I use from ModMyMods with regards to GPU sag ...
https://modmymods.com/modmymods-adjustable-aluminum-gpu-vga-support-strut-black-vh1.html

(but it's sold out). You might want to look into MNPCTech, Bill still makes GPU brackets I believe

19 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Ouch man. That sounds rough. I keep wanting to turn my spare parts into another PC. I haven't tried putting a PC together on my own for like two decades. I don't need another PC want to see if I can even do it. Reading your trials and tribulations gives me pause. 

I decided to do two ITX builds and that form factor is PC building on Dante must die mode. If I build on the standard ATX I would have less problems. The feeling of fulfillment once everything is working is great. Made everything worth it.

Setting up OS, updating it and downloading drivers is easily the worst thing about PC building. More tedious part of the process.

18 minutes ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

There's something I use from ModMyMods with regards to GPU sag ...
https://modmymods.com/modmymods-adjustable-aluminum-gpu-vga-support-strut-black-vh1.html

(but it's sold out). You might want to look into MNPCTech, Bill still makes GPU brackets I believe

I would need something smaller than this. This won't fit where I need it.

14 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Ouch man. That sounds rough. I keep wanting to turn my spare parts into another PC. I haven't tried putting a PC together on my own for like two decades. I don't need another PC want to see if I can even do it. Reading your trials and tribulations gives me pause. 

Nah, it's quite easy these days.

If you can put together a Lego kit you can put together a computer.

2 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

This is the bracket I need but the shipping kills it for me. I'm not paying the price of the product for shipping.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1158289705/mini-itx-gpu-anti-sag-support-bracket

Nah man you can prop it up with damn near anything.  No need to buy a custom part just for that.

Alternatively I have a 3D printer so I guess when I have time I could make you one...

10 hours ago, misterBee said:

Nah man you can prop it up with damn near anything.  No need to buy a custom part just for that.

Alternatively I have a 3D printer so I guess when I have time I could make you one...

I don't have anything small enough that could prop it up. Trust me, if I had a Lego piece laying around I would use it.

I found something on Amazon that should work. If not I'll hit you up.

I've watched a few 7900XTX reviews. I'm slightly disappointed. The RT performance is what I expected (3090 to 3090TI). The raster performance lower than I expected. Its more like 35% better than a 6950XT a 4K. I was expecting 50%.

Edit: This seems to be the most extensive review in text format. 

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-radeon-rx-7900-xtx-review,1.html

TLDR: If you are getting RDNA3 card don't bother with the 7900XT. The extra $100 for the XTX model nets a surprising performance gain IMO. On paper, I thought they'd be closer. I thought it's be a 6800XT vs 6900XT situations. It's more like a 6800 vs 6900XT situation.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
52 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

XTX is on par with the "4080" and it's $200-$300 cheaper. That's good for AMD.

People on Reddit have already been saying they NEED the Nvidia RT performance/can't let go of DLSS.

Even if they are using a xx60 card where RT performance sucks and games support FSR 2.1 (which is pretty damn close to DLSS) it still won't matter.

It's hopeless. No matter how good AMD gets people like that will never buy their cards.  😔

5 hours ago, misterBee said:

People on Reddit have already been saying they NEED the Nvidia RT performance/can't let go of DLSS.

Even if they are using a xx60 card where RT performance sucks and games support FSR 2.1 (which is pretty damn close to DLSS) it still won't matter.

It's hopeless. No matter how good AMD gets people like that will never buy their cards.  😔

I said something similar before. I see people with low end Nvidia cards harping on RT like they can use it. 

Edit: DLSS, FSR, or XESS are a moot point below 1440p. The funny thing about all those technologies is that they work best for people that need them least. Really good at 4K, solid at 1440p, don't bother at 1080p.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
15 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

This mini-PC is impressive to me. Given that it's using an APU faster DDR5 could yield better performance. The integrated GPU on this APU is basically a RX 6400.

APUs have always been good.

I remember building a tiny rig with a A10-7850k.  Worked great, but for extra shits and giggles I paired it with a low profile half-height GPU in SLI.  It ran SF4 like a champ.  😎

APU + low tier card is the SLI combo you never knew you needed.

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

I went to that system settings and sleep isn't there.

Could it be a driver issue? I had one on my laptop a few years ago that caused the "Disable Touchpad when Mouse is connected" option not to be there. It happened after I had done a fresh Windows install. It took me a while but I had track down an older driver because the current version removed the option for some dumb reason. 

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Could it be a driver issue? I had one on my laptop a few years ago that caused the "Disable Touchpad when Mouse is connected" option not to be there. It happened after I had done a fresh Windows install. It took me a while but I had track down an older driver because the current version removed the option for some dumb reason. 

It's worth looking into. I might update my bios and see if that does the trick.

15 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I tried the solutions provided here and none of them worked. I was really hoping for the group policy editor to do the trick but I still get no sleep option in the power settings. 

That is REALLY strange.

I can't think of any reason why none of those methods work.  I'll have to look into this further.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2022 at 1:41 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

We'll see if old man Darc can assemble a PC on his own. I got B550 board, power supply, and a 2TB NVME drive for $310.

If I would have known how much of a pain in the ass my old case would be, I'd have just about another one for simplicities sake. The SL600M isn't bad case but not idea for a novice putting together a PC for the first time in literal decades. 

22 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

If I would have known how much of a pain in the ass my old case would be, I'd have just about another one for simplicities sake. The SL600M isn't bad case but not idea for a novice putting together a PC for the first time in literal decades. 

What are the problems you're having with it? 

13 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

What are the problems you're having with it? 

Not so much problems as overly complex in my view. It was moot point ultimately. I have to wait until at least Wednesday to put everything together. The 6/32 screws needed to mount the Power Supply were MIA. Even if I had some of the laying around my old Hyper 212 cooler is lacking the mounting bracket. So I just ended up ordering a kit full of common PC case screws along with another cooler. Went with a different one than the Hyper 212. On the bright side, I have an extra 120mm fan. I may mount it on the new cooler. 

Edit: Like said it's not hard but needlessly complex. My new Phanteks case doesn't require disassembly just to get the tray to install the power supply. 

VKgk3Wc.png

Edited by Darc_Requiem
On 12/31/2022 at 12:02 AM, Darc_Requiem said:

PC cases have evolved a lot over the years and tend to be much easier to build in.

When you finally get around to building another rig decades from now be sure to buy a new one!  🙂

3 hours ago, misterBee said:

PC cases have evolved a lot over the years and tend to be much easier to build in.

When you finally get around to building another rig decades from now be sure to buy a new one!  🙂

This, like my book, is just to see if I can do it. It's just putting together some old parts. Old Case, CPU, RAM, GPU with some new parts to fill in the gaps. I mean what I'm done building, this what'll be. 

3700X

5700XT

16GB DDR4 3200 CL14

2TB NVME

750W PSU

B500 Motherboard mATX

is not on the level of my actual rig that was built by a professional 👍🏾

5800X

6900XT

32GB DDR4 3600 CL16

4TB (2x2TB) NVME Drives

1200W PSU

X570 Motherboard ATX

Honestly, if I get it up and running well. I'm not sure what I'll do with it. May give it someone one Megashock that needs one. Don't know yet.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

Our current situation is why I miss the "good old days" when I first got into PC gaming. There were more than two viable GPU manufacturers. Nvidia can do what they want and they know it. AMD rolled a 0 on a D20 die failing spectacularly when Nvidia left them an opening. Intel ARC launched near a year late with terribly under cooked drivers so they aren't even an option at all. Nvidia's hold on the GPU market is far tighter than Intel's hold the CPU market ever was. Any competitor to Nvidia has to be cheaper while being equal to better to have a chance at chipping any market share away.

From a purely gaming standpoint the 3050, 3060 , and 3060ti cards should be getting curb stomped and they aren't. Ray Tracing at that tier of card isn't strong enough to be in consideration. DLSS or any upscaling technology (FSR/XESS) is really isn't that great at 1080p, Even at the highest quality setting. They are good at 1440p and excel at 4K. In short, the things that make mid and high tier Nvidia cards superior to AMD cards of the same tier aren't nearly as much factor if at all. And that would be if they were the same price. They aren't. The AMD cards are significantly cheaper. I don't see things really changing unless AMD, Intel, or both start hitting nothing but homeruns in GPU space. And consumers reward those homeruns by buying the cards.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Our current situation is why I miss the "good old days" when I first got into PC gaming. There were more than two viable GPU manufacturers. Nvidia can do what they want and they know it. AMD rolled a 0 on a D20 die failing spectacularly when Nvidia left them an opening. Intel ARC launched near a year late with terribly under cooked drivers so they aren't even an option at all. Nvidia's hold on the GPU market is far tighter than Intel's hold the CPU market ever was. Any competitor to Nvidia has to be cheaper while being equal to better to have a chance at chipping any market share away.

From a purely gaming standpoint the 3050, 3060 , and 3060ti cards should be getting curb stomped and they aren't. Ray Tracing at that tier of card isn't strong enough to be in consideration. DLSS or any upscaling technology (FSR/XESS) is really isn't that great at 1080p, Even at the highest quality setting. They are good at 1440p and excel at 4K. In short, the things that make mid and high tier Nvidia cards superior to AMD cards of the same tier aren't nearly as much factor if at all. And that would be if they were the same price. They aren't. The AMD cards are significantly cheaper. I don't see things really changing unless AMD, Intel, or both start hitting nothing but homeruns in GPU space. And consumers reward those homeruns by buying the cards.

I'm holding out some hope people will stop buying Nvidia cards seeing how badly the 4080 bombed at retail. This new card is also bad value so I expect it to be on the same boat.

Looking at AM4 CPU prices it seems I'm going to have to make a decision soon. I really don't want to spend too much on a system I'm probably not going to use. That said a R5 5500 is PCIE 3.0 only which shouldn't bother me  but it does. I hate New Egg but it's the only place I see with a good price on an R5 5600. It's a backorder but $135 is only a little more than I'd want to spend. I prefer to spend $120 less but $15 over that isn't too bad. I see R5 5500's for $90 to $100. Logically that's what I should go for. If I get it and something goes wrong, I'm out less money.

Edit: Broke down and placed the order for the R5 5600.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
On 1/11/2023 at 11:30 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

Looking at AM4 CPU prices it seems I'm going to have to make a decision soon. I really don't want to spend too much on a system I'm probably not going to use. That said a R5 5500 is PCIE 3.0 only which shouldn't bother me  but it does. I hate New Egg but it's the only place I see with a good price on an R5 5600. It's a backorder but $135 is only a little more than I'd want to spend. I prefer to spend $120 less but $15 over that isn't too bad. I see R5 5500's for $90 to $100. Logically that's what I should go for. If I get it and something goes wrong, I'm out less money.

Edit: Broke down and placed the order for the R5 5600.

I should have seen this sooner. If you live near a Micro center they have the 5600 for $120. You can even get $20 off a compatible motherboard with the purchase

https://www.microcenter.com/product/647886/amd-ryzen-5-5600-vermeer-35ghz-6-core-am4-boxed-processor-wraith-stealth-cooler-included

3 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I should have seen this sooner. If you live near a Micro center they have the 5600 for $120. You can even get $20 off a compatible motherboard with the purchase

https://www.microcenter.com/product/647886/amd-ryzen-5-5600-vermeer-35ghz-6-core-am4-boxed-processor-wraith-stealth-cooler-included

Closest Microcenter to me is like 300 miles away. 😔

Edited by Darc_Requiem
On 1/15/2023 at 9:07 AM, Hawkingbird said:

I just bought this exact thing for a budget build I someone commissioned me to do.

On 1/15/2023 at 12:09 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

Closest Microcenter to me is like 300 miles away. 😔

My condolences.  There are 2 in NYC and another in Jersey.  I'm tripping over Microcenters over here.  😔

• 3 weeks later...

I think I figured why I don't have the sleep feature on my PC. I updated my motherboard bios and when it booted up windows I noticed that sleep was a power option. I got excited thinking the update was all I needed but when I went back into bios to set my overclock settings it was gone again. I use curve optimizer on my CPU. Could that be it?