Stage Select

The PC Gaming Thread, no console peasants allowed


DarkSakul

Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...

The embargo has lifted for the Steam Deck software

 

 

 

 

It seems that compatibly is the biggest issue with Deck. Some games don't work the way they should or straight up won't work. User interface could use a bit of work. I'm still hype for this even if it's rough on the software end. 

Link to comment
On 2/25/2022 at 3:26 PM, Hawkingbird said:

It seems that compatibly is the biggest issue with Deck. Some games don't work the way they should or straight up won't work. User interface could use a bit of work. I'm still hype for this even if it's rough on the software end. 

It's just a Linux PC, so it will have the same compatibility with games as any other Linux computer running Proton.

 

Of course if you know how and are willing to lose the custom UI you COULD just install Windows on it.

Link to comment
On 2/25/2022 at 3:26 PM, Hawkingbird said:

It seems that compatibly is the biggest issue with Deck. Some games don't work the way they should or straight up won't work. User interface could use a bit of work. I'm still hype for this even if it's rough on the software end. 

Well Also the thing is a Switch Killer err I mean handheld; Proton aside if the game can't be played with a gamepad, then it's not a good fit for the Steam Deck. 
I also see Emulation opening up alot of the possible Deck Library. Perhaps to levels the Switch can't. 
 

There already people running Game Cube titles on their Decks.
 

Link to comment
23 hours ago, misterBee said:

It's just a Linux PC, so it will have the same compatibility with games as any other Linux computer running Proton.

 

Of course if you know how and are willing to lose the custom UI you COULD just install Windows on it.

I'm going to give the custom UI a chance before I consider installing windows. It doesn't seem bad from the reviews but definitely needs work.

 

28 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

Well Also the thing is a Switch Killer err I mean handheld; Proton aside if the game can't be played with a gamepad, then it's not a good fit for the Steam Deck. 
I also see Emulation opening up alot of the possible Deck Library. Perhaps to levels the Switch can't. 
 

There already people running Game Cube titles on their Decks.
 

Kb&M games is what the touchpads are compensating for. Better than nothing.

 

Nice. I want to run the Prime games on my deck

Link to comment
  • 4 weeks later...

Got an updated NVME SSD on it's way. Picked up a 980 Pro 500gb to replace my old ADATA 480gb one that gave up and stopped working, and I'm supposed to pick it up from Best Buy on Friday. Picked it up for less than $100, and I was 20 bucks short to get the 1tb one. The 500gb will be more than enough for Windows and I can revert my Intel NVME to it's previous state for loading games.

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, DarkSakul said:

So what's everyone's thoughts on graphic cards are finally going to start having actually availability?

I'm deciding if I want to buy a 30 series or wait until the fall when the new 40 series cards are rumored to drop. I've seen some of the aftermarket cards drop to the price of the FE MSRP. 

Link to comment
31 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I'd lean towards next gen unless you see an absurd deal. Props to AMD for potentially extending the life of my GTX 1080 laptop with FSR 2.0 BTW. I'm more excited for FSR 2.0 on my laptop than my AMD powered desktop. 

I agree with this

Link to comment
Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2022 at 10:11 AM, Hawkingbird said:

I'm deciding if I want to buy a 30 series or wait until the fall when the new 40 series cards are rumored to drop. I've seen some of the aftermarket cards drop to the price of the FE MSRP. 

This is relevant to me, considering my wife's GPU in her PC is dead. I've considered buying a 3080Ti as soon as the end of next month (and giving her my 3070), but she's okay playing on consoles for right now.

Edited by YourFavGrandpa
Link to comment
47 minutes ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

This is relevant to me, considering my wife's GPU in her PC is dead. I've considered buying a 3080Ti as soon as the end of next month (and giving her my 3070), but she's okay playing on consoles for right now.

The latest rumors said that Nvidia will drop the 40 series in July or August. If that's true I will definitely wait the 2-3 months. 

 

If your wife needs a GPU right now I'll say the current prices are good. The AMD cards have dropped back to MSRP and a lot of the EVGA 30 series cards are dropping close to theirs

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

The latest rumors said that Nvidia will drop the 40 series in July or August. If that's true I will definitely wait the 2-3 months. 

She said a couple of days ago that we didn't need to buy one right away. So, I'll probably hold out for the 40 series (and wait a few months more for pricing/inventory to stabilize) before buying one.

Link to comment
23 hours ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

This is relevant to me, considering my wife's GPU in her PC is dead. I've considered buying a 3080Ti as soon as the end of next month (and giving her my 3070), but she's okay playing on consoles for right now.

If your are in a bind. I'd be willing to sell you my 5700XT. It literally just sitting in my closet since I got my 6900XT.

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2022 at 12:36 PM, YourFavGrandpa said:

She said a couple of days ago that we didn't need to buy one right away. So, I'll probably hold out for the 40 series (and wait a few months more for pricing/inventory to stabilize) before buying one.

A bit of an addendum to this. I'm posting from her computer right now, due to the fact my CPU has bent pins on it. I've got new Z690 parts in-house, but am waiting for my updated cooling bracket from Noctua before reassembling the PC tomorrow afternoon.

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

A second post to my PC Woes:

I've been up and running for about 1-2 weeks now on Intel Z690. Amazon fucked up when I ordered my motherboard and processor and sent me a 10th gen processor instead of a 12700 like I had ordered. Ended up with a Asrock Z690 Extreme motherboard as well. Wife ended up getting me a 12600k with some of her redeemable stuff from work, and I ended up with a Aquafusion cooler from Enermax (that works surprisingly well). Now instead of being a RGB hater, I like RGB now (and the fact that I can turn it all off makes it easier).

rainbow intensifies GIF by CORSAIR

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

I brought a 12GB 3080 from best buy for $800. I was going to wait for 40 series but seeing how much the current cards are stinking like rocks I would be satisfied pulling the trigger now. Even if I waited I doubt I would be able to get a card at launch.

Link to comment
14 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I brought a 12GB 3080 from best buy for $800. I was going to wait for 40 series but seeing how much the current cards are stinking like rocks I would be satisfied pulling the trigger now. Even if I waited I doubt I would be able to get a card at launch.

Nvidia's AIBs are asking them to delay the 40 series. They have a ton of 30 series inventory that they need to get rid of apparently. Nvidia was trying to cancel some of their 5nm wafer orders for the 40 series but TMSC was like "LOL NO!". So, it's supposition right now but I think the 40 series won't be that hard to find if all this info is true. Nvidia bought wafers accounting for crypto mining sales and whelp...looks like that was a bad idea 👀

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Nvidia's AIBs are asking them to delay the 40 series. They have a ton of 30 series inventory that they need to get rid of apparently. Nvidia was trying to cancel some of their 5nm wafer orders for the 40 series but TMSC was like "LOL NO!". So, it's supposition right now but I think the 40 series won't be that hard to find if all this info is true. Nvidia bought wafers accounting for crypto mining sales and whelp...looks like that was a bad idea 👀

I've heard about that. I was in need of a new graphics card and the prices of the current stuff has become too good to pass up.

 

This 3080 should be good enough to last me two GPU generations before it becomes an old man

Link to comment
18 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I've heard about that. I was in need of a new graphics card and the prices of the current stuff has become too good to pass up.

 

This 3080 should be good enough to last me two GPU generations before it becomes an old man

My thing is this. If you need it. Buy it. Life isn't guaranteed and neither are tech prices. My 6900XT was good deal when I snagged it. It's awful by the current price levels. Who knows when/if crypto will cause prices to inflate again.

Link to comment
25 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

My thing is this. If you need it. Buy it. Life isn't guaranteed and neither are tech prices. My 6900XT was good deal when I snagged it. It's awful by the current price levels. Who knows when/if crypto will cause prices to inflate again.

I'm the same way. I like to buy what I need with what's currently available. If the 40 series had dropped this month or the next like it was suppose to I would have waited. The delay had me going fuck it. I can't let crypto get a second wind

Link to comment

I've been looking to turn my Linux rig into a media server and ditch all the external HDDs I've been using as backup.

 

Found this site -- they've got good prices on enterprise-grade HDD/SDDs, both new and recertified:

 

https://serverpartdeals.com/

 

Just snagged a 16TB Seagate Exos for about 200 bucks, and they have free 2-day shipping.  If it works out I'll definitely be buying more from here.

Link to comment
On 7/18/2022 at 4:12 PM, misterBee said:

I've been looking to turn my Linux rig into a media server and ditch all the external HDDs I've been using as backup.

 

Found this site -- they've got good prices on enterprise-grade HDD/SDDs, both new and recertified:

 

https://serverpartdeals.com/

 

Just snagged a 16TB Seagate Exos for about 200 bucks, and they have free 2-day shipping.  If it works out I'll definitely be buying more from here.

Let me know how the experience goes. They have some really good HDD deals that I would probably bite on for my NAS enclosure.

Edited by YourFavGrandpa
Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

 

Predictably the card isn't good. It gets outperformed by cards released 5 years ago. I want Intel to stick with it. GPU market needs more competition

Yeah all the reviews have said pretty much the same thing. Intel needs to stick around long enough to get their drivers in order. It wouldn't completely negate the A380's issues but with well baked drivers it would cook AMD and Nvidia's budget cards at a lower MSRP with a better feature set. I miss the old days when you had S3, 3dFX, ATI, Nvidia, Matrox, PowerVR, etc. A relevant Intel would not only be good for pricing but it would help snuff out Nvidia's proprietary BS. As of now, both AMD and Intel, have open source software in the GPU spaces. FSR and XESS run on competing hardware while DLSS does not.

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
  • Create New...
Stage Select