Stage Select

The Mega Technology Thread - Happy 3rd Birthday!

56 minutes ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

Personally, I'm all about choice.

Also, Samsung has done something similar to AirTags with their Tile competitor as well (It's locked to/works only with Samsung devices). You aren't seeing Tile tattling to lawmakers because of Samsung, but because of Apple. Tile, I think; is a bunch of salty-ass MFers complaining to Congress because they know with Apple now involved in their industry; they're basically done

The choice is a paradox. Apple is using its ecosystem to drive tile out of their market. 

Anyone ever noticed those Keyboard USB cables with the Aviation connectors in the middle?

spacer.png
They go for $50

I think I can make my own for less than half, I just ordered the parts so I let you all know how it turns out. 

I am also debating on making the cable coiled or not. I need to decide this before I start making the actual cable as the coil take alot of wire to do.

Related note, for the order of how wires supposed to go in a USB cable, as people always get the Data + (Green) and Data - (White wires mixed up, here the pin out (remember Boros, Golgari)

14d42b729cdd24e73a2fccade4fbc820.jpg

Edited by DarkSakul
3 hours ago, DarkSakul said:

Anyone ever noticed those Keyboard USB cables with the Aviation connectors in the middle?

spacer.png
They go for $50

I think I can make my own for less than half, I just ordered the parts so I let you all know how it turns out. 

I am also debating on making the cable coiled or not. I need to decide this before I start making the actual cable as the coil take alot of wire to do.

Related note, for the order of how wires supposed to go in a USB cable, as people always get the Data + (Green) and Data - (White wires mixed up, here the pin out (remember Boros, Golgari)

14d42b729cdd24e73a2fccade4fbc820.jpg

These sell for big bucks and coiled is definitely in.

Might as well start selling some for a profit. 🙃 

Sort of. 
You can swap out one end with a different style connector, like have a USB Mini, Micro and USB C ends. 
If you are using 2 existing cables to make this thing, you can use Aviation connector to splice the two together. 

But if you are making the whole cable from scratch, and you are soldering loose USB ends to a length of 4 wire conductor cable, you don't need the Aviation connector assuming you have a single long enough section of cable. 

Some people are using some even more expensive/exotic connectors such as weipu connectors 

Oh for the coil, for every inch of coil you have you need a foot of cable (depending on the side of wooden dowel or rod you use. 
Most people use a 1 to 1.5cm (approx. 0.3 to 0.5 inches) dowel 

You also want your cable to be made with thermal plastic and not silicone. 
As you are using heat from a heat gun or high power hair dryer, you want those carbon molecules to rearrange themselves 

Edited by DarkSakul
11 hours ago, misterBee said:

There are some, but most people are just doing it so that they have a fancy cable for photos.  Check out r/mechanicalkeyboards and you'll see these expensive cables practically everywhere.

Seeing them in custom keyboard setups is why I asked. I been looking into them a lot more as of late. I'm interested in wireless and only the Keychron seems to provide that. It's Bluetooth only at that. Wish there was a 2.4Hz dongle avaliable 

4 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Seeing them in custom keyboard setups is why I asked. I been looking into them a lot more as of late. I'm interested in wireless and only the Keychron seems to provide that. It's Bluetooth only at that. Wish there was a 2.4Hz dongle avaliable 

2.4ghz uses much more power than Bluetooth 4.0, which is why most mechanicals use bluetooth.  Mechanical keyboards themselves already don't lend themselves that well to wireless operation.

https://iqunix.store/collections/iqunix-mechanical-keyboards/products/iqunix-l80-formula-typing-wireless-mechanical-keyboard

Some IQUNIX models feature both bluetooth and 2.4ghz if you really really want it.

• 2 weeks later...

So both colors come in the same keycap kit, but I want to see what you guys think look better.

spacer.png

With the optional yellow keycaps. Or without
spacer.png
The whole kit pretty much shown here

Nether pic is mine, I am still waiting for the set to come in.

They are going to go on this Keyboard with Gateron Red Switches instead of Blue, but I am going to swap the Reds for Gateron Milky Yellow Switches.

71NI5gGTYnL._AC_SY450_.jpg

Did my quarterly review of contracts for myself and the contractors that work for me. The contract house I work with got rid of the technology agreement that requires the use of wired peripherals all around, so I have a Keychron K6 ordered for testing Bluetooth-to-PC connections. I'm 95% sure I'm retiring my full-size GMMK at this point and going completely wireless, except for instances where I have to be in a conferencing room remotely. There is one bad thing though about the K6 ... it's coming with Gat browns installed 🤮

On 5/24/2021 at 7:41 PM, DarkSakul said:

So both colors come in the same keycap kit, but I want to see what you guys think look better.

spacer.png

With the optional yellow keycaps. Or without
spacer.png
The whole kit pretty much shown here

Nether pic is mine, I am still waiting for the set to come in.

They are going to go on this Keyboard with Gateron Red Switches instead of Blue, but I am going to swap the Reds for Gateron Milky Yellow Switches.

71NI5gGTYnL._AC_SY450_.jpg

I like the one with black and white key caps. I'm not feeling that shade of red. 

On 6/1/2021 at 1:08 AM, Darc_Requiem said:

So AMDs FSR will work on my old laptop with a  GTX 1080 even though DLSS does not 🤔

DLSS relies on tensor cores that your GTX 1080 doesn't have.  Even if they wanted to make it work on older cards it's simply not possible.

AMD's solution is obviously using a different type of implementation that doesn't rely on special hardware cores, so they can port it to a much wider range of cards.

Time will tell how things pan out, but it's nice that people with non-RTX cores can now get some type of AI upscaling.

1 hour ago, misterBee said:

DLSS relies on tensor cores that your GTX 1080 doesn't have.  Even if they wanted to make it work on older cards it's simply not possible.

AMD's solution is obviously using a different type of implementation that doesn't rely on special hardware cores, so they can port it to a much wider range of cards.

Time will tell how things pan out, but it's nice that people with non-RTX cores can now get some type of AI upscaling.

Oh I know why it doesn't work. It's just funny. We all know that AMD just did this to A) have FSR become the defacto standard and B)  make Nvidia look bad.

On 5/25/2021 at 10:54 AM, DarkSakul said:

I am assuming your K6 is hot swappable right? 

It is.

On 5/29/2021 at 9:48 AM, misterBee said:

The Gateron Brown hate in here disturbs me.

Not my fault that the keyboard came with those switches pre-installed. They made too much noise for my liking, my Dark Yellows are much better in this regard. 

So I'm about half-way through testing with the Keychron, and I do like it in both wired and wireless modes. The issue I've had with the wireless mode is that occasionally the connection will stutter for about 2-3 seconds, causing the previous key to be typed nearly all the way across the screen. Other than this issue, the keyboard is fine; outside of the optional numpad I will need to get if I decide to use it going forward; especially with work. Haven't decided whether or not to build my own numpad or go with a prebuilt one. Also, Prime Day is coming up towards the end of the month; and that'll celebrate the 1-yr anniversary of the thread being created.

Also, Facebook/IG is Trump-free for 2 more years.

Edited by YourFavGrandpa
b00b
  • YourFavGrandpa changed the title to The Mega Technology Thread - Apple WWDC Keynote 06/07 @ 1pm Eastern, Prime Day 06/21 to 06/23

So if you are willing to download a program to disable ads and root hack the thing, the The Amazon Fire HD 10 is pretty good for the price. 
So glad I found out about Fire Toolbox from https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/windows-tool-fire-toolbox-v17-0.3889604/

Great thing about the Fire Tool box is you drop most of the Amazon ecosystem, scrabble the AD ID, block in coming ads and put in your own app loader. 
The Tool box even has their own hybrid Netflix and Disney Plus Apps so you don't have to use the bad Amazon versions. 
use the tool box to install Google Play and get normal Android Apps. 

Youtube Vance is a must if you want to avoid ads, which is it's own install. You need Vance Manager to install Youtube Vance.

All eyes for me will be on the WWDC Keynote tomorrow afternoon. There was also an announcement of an Apple Music-specific event tomorrow after the Keynote ends, so those two things will take up the vast majority of my afternoon until I go to work. Recaps of the WWDC keynote and the Apple Music event tomorrow will get linked at some point, probably Tuesday morning when I get up.

Edited by YourFavGrandpa
b00b

As promised, here are the links to the keynote videos from Apple yesterday:

WWDC Keynote:

Or, if you don't want to sit through nearly two hours of the keynote; Apple released a Day One video that summarizes everything in the keynote, in less than three mins:

I'm still trying to find the video regarding the introduction of Spatial Audio to Apple Music, but my Apple search-fu isn't up to par just yet. Will post when I've found the video.

Edit: They never pulled the trigger on the Spatial Audio keynote, so prev point is void.

Edited by YourFavGrandpa
boob boob

So I looked into Windows 11 recently. 
it requires a TPM (version 2) to be installed. 

Most newer motherboards and all Prebuilt PCs should already have TPM on board. 
If you fail the Microsoft Minimum system requirements from their PC Health App, check your Bios settings. 

You probably have TPM disabled. 

11 hours ago, DarkSakul said:

So I looked into Windows 11 recently. 
it requires a TPM (version 2) to be installed. 

Most newer motherboards and all Prebuilt PCs should already have TPM on board. 
If you fail the Microsoft Minimum system requirements from their PC Health App, check your Bios settings. 

You probably have TPM disabled. 

I had this exact issue (TPM disabled in BIOS), turned it on and all was good.