Stage Select

The Mega Technology Thread - The Year Of Everything

YourFavGrandpa

Put in those Hako Trues yesterday afternoon. I really like the feel of these switches!

The past couple of times, I would normally take off all of my keycaps before swapping switches. This time, I moved from right to left; starting at the numpad and moving all the way over. 

In the process, I did kill four switches via bending pins the wrong way. I still have a full bag of 10 switches left, since I bought 120 of them. Don't know what I will use the remainders for yet, either.

6 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

The rabbit hole is too deep for me. 

I hear you. Custom keyboards are especially daunting!

Speaking of custom keyboards, the makers of the GMMK keyboard showed off their updated model, the GMMK Pro, on Twitch the other night. From the things I've seen in the custom keyboards community, the reveal didn't go over really well; and the people showing off the Pro were getting roasted left and right. I'm sure this updated model will be fine for gaming though.

Moving away from that, I'm coming up on a month that I've had my new iPhone (January 30th will be one month). I've thought about recording a video and possibly posting it to YT. Haven't fully decided on that, but with shorter hours for client work this week; I'll have more time to consider it.

7 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

One of these days I'll dive into custom keyboards. I'll wait when it's a little more accessible. The rabbit hole is too deep for me. 

It's already super accessible tbh.

You can buy a barebones board with hot-swap sockets for quite a low price already: https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/gmmk-full-brown-switch

A board by itself without switches or caps will only run you 60 bucks or so.  You can get your switches from them too, or opt to buy them on your own from somewhere else.  Installing the switches is as simple as just plugging them in.  You don't even need to solder anything these days.

If you only care about looks you can also just buy a cheap mechanical keyboard on Amazon for like 40 bucks and buy key caps for it to customize its appearance.

50 minutes ago, misterBee said:

It's already super accessible tbh.

You can buy a barebones board with hot-swap sockets for quite a low price already: https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/gmmk-full-brown-switch

A board by itself without switches or caps will only run you 60 bucks or so.  You can get your switches from them too, or opt to buy them on your own from somewhere else.  Installing the switches is as simple as just plugging them in.  You don't even need to solder anything these days.

If you only care about looks you can also just buy a cheap mechanical keyboard on Amazon for like 40 bucks and buy key caps for it to customize its appearance.

I'll look into getting keycaps. I brought the Logitech G915 a few weeks ago and it bothers me that the secondary symbols don't light up. Worse yet they are colored grey making it harder to see. I see some white keycaps on Ali Express that allegedly work on this board. It's hard finding stuff for low profile switches.