Stage Select

The Mega Technology Thread - Happy 3rd Birthday!

On 6/25/2021 at 10:16 PM, DarkSakul said:

So I looked into Windows 11 recently. 
it requires a TPM (version 2) to be installed. 

Most newer motherboards and all Prebuilt PCs should already have TPM on board. 
If you fail the Microsoft Minimum system requirements from their PC Health App, check your Bios settings. 

You probably have TPM disabled. 

Most newer motherboards have a TPM slot, and most newer CPUs have firmware TPM support built in that can simply be enabled through BIOS.

Sadly, there are many MANY CPUs and mobos that do not have this and are all unable to install Windows 11, and some of them are only a few years old.

I have Xeon, 1st gen Ryzen, and 6th gen i7 rigs that all cannot install Windows 11 due to its TPM requirements.  These are all good PCs that have more than the necessary horsepower and still have many years of life left in them as servers and secondary systems -- but they will be locked out of installing the new OS.  If something doesn't change I'll end up having to use modified installers or possibly just move them over to Linux, which I'd prefer not to do.

215035610_10225056378506939_211821821622

Dude, save some of that puss for us. 

On 7/5/2021 at 9:58 AM, PussyStuffer said:

why does every large tv these days come with 2 legged stands?

Just buy a standard VESA mount Stand. Only problem everyone has to make these with a Glass base or as a Table Clamp. 

Edited by DarkSakul
  • YourFavGrandpa changed the title to The Mega Technology Thread - Big Tech vs. The World

So, I ended up having to return the Series 6 Apple Watch on the grounds it was too expensive. As a compromise, my wife agreed to the Apple Watch SE; which I'll pick up this weekend since I'm headed to Dallas on Saturday afternoon. The plan is to reserve a in-store shopping time, that way she can ask all of the questions she wants to a Apple rep.

• 2 weeks later...

So, here's my 36ish-hr review of the Apple Watch SE.

Good:

Helps me track various workouts I do in-house and at the gym.

I started going to the gym again because of the activity rings.

Helps me stay more active than before (which is important to, you know, not die/have a stroke or heart attack)
Fitness+ has been helpful so far, may consider keeping it past the 3 month trial. They have 10 minute workouts for beginners, which definitely helps out.

Bad:
Battery life is about what I expected. 
Apple tax still largely exists for accessories not bought from Amazon/bought from Apple Store.

Automatic workout tracking doesn't exist on the SE (and I presume it's available on the Series 6).

The charging pucks. Oh well, I guess it could be mini-USB for charging instead (or the wacky ass stuff that Hwawei does for their activity trackers) 😂
No Bluetooth handoff from iPhone to Watch. You have to pair your headset/earbuds separately to the watch😠

Okay:
Battery is charged enough for the day with an hour on the charger in the morning while I'm waking up and going through emails/normal morning routine.

Buttons to remove watch strap are okay, if not a little small. I really had to look for them when I initially put my watch band on the wrong way.

Removing watch straps seem to be simple enough, provided you don't miss the small as fuck buttons to remove the damn straps.
I have one of the Nike versions of the SE, but haven't tried out Run Club yet. When the time comes, I'll make use of it.

Edited by YourFavGrandpa

https://www.theverge.com/22588022/mark-zuckerberg-facebook-ceo-metaverse-interview

uhhh ... what in the goddamn fuck?

Also of note, I noticed one of my neighbors had one of their bluetooth connections with the combination of characters that if you aren't on the latest version of iOS, you're gonna have a bad time. Top fucking kek right there.

Edited by YourFavGrandpa
20 minutes ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

https://www.theverge.com/22588022/mark-zuckerberg-facebook-ceo-metaverse-interview

uhhh ... what in the goddamn fuck?

Also of note, I noticed one of my neighbors had one of their bluetooth connections with the combination of characters that if you aren't on the latest version of iOS, you're gonna have a bad time. Top fucking kek right there.

What is this article? Does Zucc think he's Kang?

There's been some stuff going around about gaming PCs supposedly being "banned". For the sake of argument, and since the discussion has previously spread to other parts and technology industries as well; I'm linking two discussion videos below (one from Gamers Nexus; the other from JayzTwoCents). TL;DR: The only change they made is that going forward, all power supplies sold stateside must be 80Plus efficient or better. This change largely affects very large system integrators (think Dell, HP, Apple), and should have zero effect on the DIY PC space.

Yeah it's all rumors and sensationalism.

Real story is many years back several states made laws on how power can much newly sold pre-built system running idel or standby can draw in a year.

Dell had years notice and they sat on their hands. Now they can't sell their pre-builts in those states because they got lazy.

DIY system builders aren't effected. 

And you are free to change your power settings after the fact. 

Edited by DarkSakul
10 minutes ago, PussyStuffer said:

LG has officially stopped making phones.

sadness.

i can only really use LG phones cuz im too use to waking em up with their double tap the screen ability.

wtf am i gonna do in the future. i hate waking up my phone with the power button.

There are several brands that have this feature.

My Samsung has this, and I'm pretty sure I remember Huawei phones being able to do it too.

https://9to5mac.com/2021/08/05/apple-announces-new-protections-for-child-safety-imessage-safety-icloud-photo-scanning-more/

I have a lot of questions regarding this, especially the ML training they did to allow for this to take place. Recent history has shown that any type of Machine Learning training for algorithms shows a disproportionate amount of bias towards people of color. The article talks about image hashes as well, and image hashes can definitely be faked; meaning there's a potential for this to be misused.

Also of note:

I was agreeing with the tweet, until the absolute last line. You know those EULAs you have to accept in order to use anything in Apple's ecosystem? They more than likely have language that permits this activity, so this is pearl clutching/gaslighting on his part.

• 3 weeks later...
  • YourFavGrandpa changed the title to The Mega Technology Thread - Techtember Incoming!
  • 2 weeks later...
  • YourFavGrandpa changed the title to The Mega Technology Thread - iPhone Event 09/14 as the masses prepare for Black Friday ...

So, let's talk about this for a minute:
https://9to5mac.com/2021/09/10/epic-vs-apple-ruling-revealed-apple-must-allow-app-store-devs-to-redirect-users-to-other-payment-systems/

the TL;DR of the ruling is this:
Apple (and the App Store) found not to be a monopoly by the ruling judge. 
Epic was required to turn over 30% of the revenue they acquired from Fortnite's "new" payment method before Apple dropkicked them off the App Store (top fucking kek right here).

Also of note, is this tweet:

Time will tell if Tim Cook will step on Epic Games like a fucking bug and crush their shit.

Edited by YourFavGrandpa
  • YourFavGrandpa changed the title to The Mega Technology Thread - Rushing Towards A USB-C (or Portless) Future
  • 3 weeks later...

Coming THIS WEEK:

Monday 10/18 - Apple event "Unleashed" @ 1pm Eastern  (expect new Macs/Macbooks/poss new Airpods)

Tuesday 10/19 - Google Pixel 6/6 Pro Reveal @ 1pm Eastern (prices/storage should be revealed along with compatible carriers at launch, also rumored is something called a Pixel Pass)

Wednesday 10/20 - Samsung Unpacked Event @ 10am Eastern (expect more foldables and more colors of the Z Flip 3, along with Chromebooks and possibly new Galaxy S22 models)

For the Pixel 6 and Samsung Events, there should/will be lots of coverage from the usual Techtubers (MKBHD/Ezarik sisters/SuperSaf/Unbox Therapy)

Apple Event should be also covered by MKBHD/Ezarik Sisters

BONUS Drinking game for each (also enjoy responsibly, I'm not responsible if you die or go to the hospital from day drinking; you fools):
Take a shot of your closest beverage every time 5G is mentioned
Take two shots every time privacy and security is mentioned

Take three shots every time the speaker talks about how better their camera is than before
Chug your glass/bottle every time Facebook or Facebook-adjacent apps are mentioned
KAMPAI SUPER BONUS - Chug 2 Glasses/a gallon every time AT&T or Verizon are mentioned

Edited by YourFavGrandpa
1 hour ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

BONUS Drinking game for each (also enjoy responsibly, I'm not responsible if you die or go to the hospital from day drinking; you fools):
Take a shot of your closest beverage every time 5G is mentioned
Take two shots every time privacy and security is mentioned

Take three shots every time the speaker talks about how better their camera is than before
Chug your glass/bottle every time Facebook or Facebook-adjacent apps are mentioned
KAMPAI SUPER BONUS - Chug 2 Glasses/a gallon every time AT&T or Verizon are mentioned

Grand Pa is trying to get people killed here 🤣

On 10/2/2021 at 12:58 AM, YourFavGrandpa said:

I'm now using Win11 on both my desktop and my laptop. The ability to force dark mode system wide across all apps has saved the upgrade process for me.

Are you running Ryzen CPUs? Windows 11 isn't handling the L3 Cache correctly on Ryzen CPUs which is causing diminished performance. That doesn't bode well for Intel's Alder Lake architecture. If they can't get L3 cache right out of the gate, then the scheduler is going to shit a brick dealing with a "Big/Little" CPU core setup.

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Are you running Ryzen CPUs? Windows 11 isn't handling the L3 Cache correctly on Ryzen CPUs which is causing diminished performance. That doesn't bode well for Intel's Alder Lake architecture. If they can't get L3 cache right out of the gate, then the scheduler is going to shit a brick dealing with a "Big/Little" CPU core setup.

I understood the problem was that the task scheduler for the L3 Cache was too geared towards the new Intel CPUs and MS ignored AMD. Intel usually works very closely with MS on every Windows launch.

4 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I am. I also have the updated fix from Microsoft that will be released tomorrow that solves the L3 Cache issue.

That being said, normally this would be the time of day where I would have posted the video from the event this afternoon. At this point, the livestream is still going with Apple ... getting into crypto? Apple (as a company) has bought the equivalent of a metric fuckton of Bitcoin and Etherium, and are simply giving it away. I believe this may also warrant a thread title change.

Apple Special Event - BTC and ETH Giveaway

edit: will link to The Verge's YT video covering the announcement today below.

Edited by YourFavGrandpa
added summary video from The Verge
  • YourFavGrandpa changed the title to The Mega Technology Thread - The Benevolent Mr. Cook Gives Away His Fortunes

Wrapping up the Pixel Event, I really liked what I saw.

To the point where I have the bag secured and ready to go for the 6 Pro, but wifey's gotta sign off on the whole thing. Plus the pricing is really competitive, to the point where I checked earlier as to how much I paid for my iPhone 12 Pro Max overall, it was something like close to $1,300. Absolutely nuts about how much I paid for this phone, then adding in the costs of the Apple Watch SE I bought, the case(s), and screen protectors, and we're easily approaching $2,000. The 512gb Pixel 6 Pro is $999, at least $100 less than the Apple and Samsung counterparts. But I want to physically hold the phone in my hand before I commit to buying the phone for sure, then there's the issue of payments to pay the balance off and all that. Plus I'm looking at about $100 worth of accessories between cases, charging brick, and screen protectors. 

Also, it's a carrier exclusive to Verizon. MOTHERFUC~

Also, Google posted the live translate interview with Marie Kondo that was originally broadcast during the announcement today. I

found this to be quite stellar (regarding the level of translation):

Edited by YourFavGrandpa
added correct Terry Tate clip/added Marie Kondo clip
19 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I'm approaching year three on my current phone. While I don't need to upgrade I've been eyeing the galaxy flip 3. If the thing had dust resistance I would probably pull the trigger on it

The only reason I upgraded my phone last year was because of 5G. I live in the Charlotte area and it's blanketed in 5G. I liked my old phone. It was the last HTC phone I've seen to be honest. As much as I use my phone for internet, youtube, twitch, etc. It was worth it for the speed boost.

56 minutes ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

Holy shit, they still make them?

Intellimouse Pro has only been out for 2 years or so.  It has a gaming grade optical sensor.

They made the very similar Intellimouse Classic also, which used cheaper materials and a non-gaming sensor.

If that's too new-school for you, slightly modernized Intellimouse 1.1 clones can be found readily on eBay:

s-l500.jpg

19 minutes ago, misterBee said:

Intellimouse Pro has only been out for 2 years or so.  It has a gaming grade optical sensor.

They made the very similar Intellimouse Classic also, which used cheaper materials and a non-gaming sensor.

If that's too new-school for you, slightly modernized Intellimouse 1.1 clones can be found readily on eBay:

s-l500.jpg

I remember Microsoft had started making the Intellimouse again, but couldn't remember how long ago production started back up. That being said, Best Buy supposedly has demo units of the Pixel 6 & 6 Pro ahead of their retail release on the 28th. Gonna go check it out tomorrow, expect a write-up either tomorrow or Friday in-thread of my thoughts on the device.

Also of note, I'm officially on the wait list for the Pixel 6 Pro. I waitlisted for the 512gb unlocked model, and the price is absolutely nuts for the level of storage they're providing. The storage is UFS 3.1, and is about as fast, if not more so than the iPhone.

Edited by YourFavGrandpa
On 10/20/2021 at 3:30 PM, misterBee said:

s-l500.jpg

I could never enjoy these. My pea brain as a kid always wanted a Razer mouse, and I love my Deathadder for years. I'm now on a G502 Hero or whatever the fuck they're calling these shiny mice these days. In terms of a modernised old-school products, I always wanted that IBM mechanical keyboard. You know the one. Wonder how much they go for...