Stage Select

The Samurai Shodown Thread


Recommended Posts

I don't know how many people play, but I thought we could use a thread for the series just in case! 

 

Imo 5 Special is still the best SamSho game, it has the pick-up-and-play simplicity of the other games but it also has a lot of complexity under the hood once you learn your character more what with meter and time management, State Of Nothingness time slow combos, and just the variety of options in terms of play styles and how to play each character. This is probably the most played SamSho game and you can find players on Fightcade, PSN, and Steam. 

 

I haven't been playing SamSho7/2019 as much but it's a really good game and if you've never played SamSho in depth before, it can be a good way to get your feet wet as a lot of the concepts carry over to the other games. If you can find people with whom you have a good connection, it's fun. Having a fiber connection will definitely help you have a better experience online. 

 

SamSho Discord (has lots of resources for the various games but especially 5Sp and 7) : https://discord.gg/SHs2WVF

 

Let's Learn Samurai Shodown V Special (Tutorial video playlist I made centered around 5 Special but many of the concepts apply to just about all the games)

 

spacer.png

 

 

 

Edited by DoctaMario
Link to post
  • 3 weeks later...

Been working on Suija who is a weird sort of character. He has these DP bubbles that will block anything you throw at them but they can only be done in the air (like all his special moves, even his super) and he doesn't have a lot of tools other than that. He seems like he was created with defensive/runaway play in mind, but you can tiger knee into the bubbles from the ground and jail your opponent if they're cornered and confuse them. 

 

He's got some interesting time slow combos that rely on bubble cancels though, like this one that I would show you if discord weren't too lame to uploady gif lol

 

 

Link to post
  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Hecatom said:

 

Good looking out, I heard about this one. I'll have to watch it, thanks for posting. 

 

Gong is retarded. Man, SNk needs to fix this shit. 

Edited by DoctaMario
Link to post
1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

I miss playing this game. I last time I fired it up online was a ghost town. I have to settle for playing this game locals only when that's safe to do. 

Join the Samsho Discord, there is always people playing there, for both the old games and the new one.

If you want an invite send me a pm.

Also, at least for me, when i play i always found matches, granted it is from 10pm to 4am where i live, so that is a factor lol.

Edited by Hecatom
Link to post
On 1/1/2021 at 10:47 AM, Hawkingbird said:

I miss playing this game. I last time I fired it up online was a ghost town. I have to settle for playing this game locals only when that's safe to do. 

My brother's been getting into it so I picked it back up again and have been having fun with it. What platform do you own it on? Maybe we could play sometime.  

Link to post
19 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

My brother's been getting into it so I picked it back up again and have been having fun with it. What platform do you own it on? Maybe we could play sometime.  

I have it on PS4. My PS+ has expired though. 

Link to post
14 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I have it on PS4. My PS+ has expired though. 

I think i have you on my psn right?

Maybe we can play it some time and see how is the connection on our end.

This game's netcode is a hit or miss.

I can play it well with people i expected to not be able to, while the people i was sure we would have good connections were unplayable, lol.

Link to post
5 hours ago, Hecatom said:

I think i have you on my psn right?

Maybe we can play it some time and see how is the connection on our end.

This game's netcode is a hit or miss.

I can play it well with people i expected to not be able to, while the people i was sure we would have good connections were unplayable, lol.

I'll try it out with you if you add me on psn: TheDoctaMario I have a fiber connection and generally have pretty good connections even to Japan. 

Link to post
13 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I'll try it out with you if you add me on psn: TheDoctaMario I have a fiber connection and generally have pretty good connections even to Japan. 

Sent you a friend request.

Lets try playing tomorrow maybe?

The only problem is that i can at the late hours of the day where i am 😅

Link to post
12 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Sent you a friend request.

Lets try playing tomorrow maybe?

The only problem is that i can at the late hours of the day where i am 😅

No worries, I'm usually gaming at night myself. Let me keep you posted on tonght, we got a flat tire on the way home from the airport last night so that's set everything back a bit and I may have some stuff to mop up, but if I can make it, I'll let you know, and if not tonight, then tomorrow is a bet. What time zone are you in; I'm in US Central. 

Link to post
On 1/4/2021 at 10:28 AM, DoctaMario said:

No worries, I'm usually gaming at night myself. Let me keep you posted on tonght, we got a flat tire on the way home from the airport last night so that's set everything back a bit and I may have some stuff to mop up, but if I can make it, I'll let you know, and if not tonight, then tomorrow is a bet. What time zone are you in; I'm in US Central. 

Ok, let me know if you want to test the connection today 🙂

 

Link to post

Interesting. Kinda disappointed by this announcement but hopefully they have a couple more cool characters on the horizon. 

 

Btw @Hecatomsorry I've been awol, we ended up staying at my mum in law's house this week. Hopefully I'll have some time to play over the weekend or early next week. 

Link to post

What i dont really know, is Hibiki that popular?

More than the 3 main chars and the villains?

 

I am not complaining, but is interesting that she seems to be the default character that represents the series on other games.

Link to post
2 hours ago, Hecatom said:

What i dont really know, is Hibiki that popular?

More than the 3 main chars and the villains?

 

I am not complaining, but is interesting that she seems to be the default character that represents the series on other games.

She's the only character that more people might know since she was in CVS2, among LB players, not that popular because she's ass, but her POWER move set is pretty transferrable. Her strength is neutral and doing big damage on punishes.

Link to post
7 hours ago, ZioSerpe said:

I'd be ok trading them, 2 birds 1 stone.

Nah I like Bas. At least at the time he came out, the play styles in the game weren't all that varied and he was one of the most interesting ones, so he's my main. Rather have him than all this waifu shit they keep putting in. Cham Cham? Really? 

Link to post
1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

This is why i sent a friend request, but not a close friend request.

SMFH

😂😂😂

 

I'm a fan of the series and tbh there are so many great characters if love to see, but they're putting in a good deal of fap characters. If I wanted that, I'd play DoA. 🤷

Edited by DoctaMario
Link to post
2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

😂😂😂

 

I'm a fan of the series and tbh there are so many great characters if love to see, but they're putting in a good deal of fap characters. If I wanted that, I'd play DoA. 🤷

I think the have a nice balance of chars so far. 

Besides Cham Cham is a classic Samsho char that many fans have been asking about 🤷‍♂️

Link to post

I find Cham Cham charming.

Also she's not exactly a sexy bae, though no doubt there are people into that for sure.

I'm honestly happy with the roster, I have been wanting Shiki since I found out she existed from SvC (raise your hand if you played SamSho 64) she's super cool.

And I played Iroha in VI so I'm covered, I could have done without Mina on the other hand.

now if I could play this game online it would be fan-freaking-tastic. but 7 months in and the game still thinks I'm in the US.

Link to post
On 1/12/2021 at 9:22 AM, DoctaMario said:

Cham Cham?

Cham Cham's monkey in 2 is to this day one of the best examples of story telling through game mechanics in a fighting game.  So aside from any cutesy waifu stuff the character gets a lot of love from me, just because someone way back when was clever AF when they were story boarding that character concept.

Link to post
32 minutes ago, Reticently said:

Cham Cham's monkey in 2 is to this day one of the best examples of story telling through game mechanics in a fighting game.  So aside from any cutesy waifu stuff the character gets a lot of love from me, just because someone way back when was clever AF when they were story boarding that character concept.

They did the same thing with Chample, the cute little character that follows Mina around. Its actually a demon in disguise that ends up killing a lot of people and Mina commits suicide as a result of guilt for not seeing through the disguise. 

Link to post
18 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

They did the same thing with Chample, the cute little character that follows Mina around. Its actually a demon in disguise that ends up killing a lot of people and Mina commits suicide as a result of guilt for not seeing through the disguise. 

The suicide is retconned now. 

Samsho 2019 happens after Samsho V. 

But before 1 and 2.

It is why Mina has a eyepatch and her gameplay changed to reflwct she has her vision impaired. 

She sealed the evil side of Chample on her eye and by the end of this game she managed to purify the enery earning a 2nd chance in life at the end for her and Chample. 

Link to post
36 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

The suicide is retconned now. 

Samsho 2019 happens after Samsho V. 

But before 1 and 2.

It is why Mina has a eyepatch and her gameplay changed to reflwct she has her vision impaired. 

She sealed the evil side of Chample on her eye and by the end of this game she managed to purify the enery earning a 2nd chance in life at the end for her and Chample. 

Ah that's right. I like the suicide better tho because Mina is annoying to fight 😆

 

Let me know if you're around tonight (Sunday night)  and we can try to play. 

Edited by DoctaMario
Link to post
23 hours ago, Reticently said:

Cham Cham's monkey in 2 is to this day one of the best examples of story telling through game mechanics in a fighting game.  So aside from any cutesy waifu stuff the character gets a lot of love from me, just because someone way back when was clever AF when they were story boarding that character concept.

what's this about? I am not familiar with the extended lore of SamSho

Link to post
2 hours ago, ZioSerpe said:

what's this about? I am not familiar with the extended lore of SamSho

Tam Tam was in the cast of Sam Sho 1, but was not in Sam Sho 2.  Cham Cham is his sister, and her storyline in 2 is that Tam Tam has gone missing, and she's journeying to search for him.

 

In 2, Cham Cham has a pet monkey that goes into battle with her, similar to Galford's dog or Nak's hawk.  Here's the kicker: Cham Cham's monkey can perform all of Tam Tam's special moves. (Cham Cham's own moveset is nothing like Tam Tam).  The monkey's moveset is the only hint as to what happened to Tam Tam, short of seeing Cham Cham's ending.

Edited by Reticently
Link to post
8 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Ah that's right. I like the suicide better tho because Mina is annoying to fight 😆

 

Let me know if you're around tonight (Sunday night)  and we can try to play. 

 

I say that we could try from 9 hours and a half from now, dunno how that sounds XD (I work saturdays and sundays 😞  lol )

Link to post
16 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

For you guys that have six or eight button sticks, what’s your time button layout? 
 

just the default?

AB

DC

 

I’m wondering how the following would be:

ABC

D

 

For me it depends of the game.

In some i go for the default layout.

But in others i like to use a layout i define as the 3buttos+special button layout, that is the one i use for BB, MVC3, GBFVS, DBFZ, etc.

 

I say you should go for what it suits you the best.

Just keep in mind the macros, unless you are using buttons for them.

You want to keep them easy to do.

Link to post
16 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

For you guys that have six or eight button sticks, what’s your time button layout? 
 

just the default?

AB

DC

 

I’m wondering how the following would be:

ABC

D

 

I actually used to run the second option you got here when I started playing.

 

 

Then I got tired of remapping every time I sat down at a new set-up at locals, so I just always run the default controls now. 

 

 

 

Link to post
20 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

For me it depends of the game.

In some i go for the default layout.

But in others i like to use a layout i define as the 3buttos+special button layout, that is the one i use for BB, MVC3, GBFVS, DBFZ, etc.

 

I say you should go for what it suits you the best.

Just keep in mind the macros, unless you are using buttons for them.

You want to keep them easy to do.

Thanks. I think I’m going to do the following:

 

BCD

A

 

It may be a bit odd with light slash being on a different plane than medium and heavy but it seems to make the most sense for all of the button combinations. I could put D (kick) on the bottom instead and use macros to help with some of the combinations, but I think this will be best.

Edited by Mattatsu
Link to post
1 minute ago, KingTubb said:

I actually used to run the second option you got here when I started playing.

 

Then I got tired of remapping every time I sat down at a new set-up at locals, so I just always run the default controls now. 

 

That’s a good point. I could actually see me trying to go to locals for this game, but that ain’t likely happening for another 9 months around here

Link to post
7 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I could actually see me trying to go to locals for this game, but that ain’t likely happening for another 9 months around here

Yeah... Same here. But I'll never forget when I entered a tournament, set my buttons wrong, lost the first match cause my buttons were fucked, then I tried to fix them and somehow made them worse. 

 

Never again. 

Link to post
Just now, KingTubb said:

Yeah... Same here. But I'll never forget when I entered a tournament, set my buttons wrong, lost the first match cause my buttons were fucked, then I tried to fix them and somehow made them worse. 

 

Never again. 

Sorry, but i need to ask, didnt you button check?

Or where you nervous for being a tournament match that you didnt notice?

Link to post
16 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Yeah but, what is having to  remap on locals when compared to playing with the layout you feel comfortable? 

 

I see what you're saying, and I used to put a lot of thought into my layouts.  but I've come to realize, unless a layout is completely opposed to the way my brain processes information, default layouts end up feeling comfortable for me after one or two decent sessions. 

Edited by KingTubb
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
  • Create New...
Stage Select