Stage Select

The Samurai Shodown Thread

11 minutes ago, Reticently said:

I need to lab Cham vs Amakusa more.  She's cagey against him in very weird ranges, but otherwise ugh

Using her speed to your advantage and punishing his fireballs with your demon flip thing is a good way to be. He's slow and relies on good spacing to be effective, so if you can mess up that aspect of his game, it makes it a really hard matchup

19 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Man, not gonna lie, I feel that I played terrible today 🤣

I didnt feel like I played all that well either. Kept messing up execution stuff throughout the night. Usually I warm up and I'm good but I never felt totally warmed up. Was still fun though.

14 hours ago, Reticently said:

After you left you missed Docta's Amakusa beating up Cham Cham like 9/10 games, lol.  And a couple of games afterwards where I kept trying to do Cham Cham stuff while using Nak 😅

I really had a need to figure out that matchup and I'm glad you stayed. You were running a train on us for a decent portion of the night though! You been practicing?

9 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I really had a need to figure out that matchup and I'm glad you stayed. You were running a train on us for a decent portion of the night though! You been practicing?

I've played a little single player since the last lobby we ran, but aside from probably helping a bit with my execution I don't think it changed my approach any.  And I was still dropping some easy special cancels, so Idk.

Probably the bigger difference was that I had a cappuccino about an hour before we started, so I was playing fully awake instead of my normal sleep deprived mess, lol.  (#PerformanceEnhancingDrug)

I legitimately think Cham is much better than most of the tier lists make her out to be, but the Amak matchup is just weird for her.  At long range, neither of us can really throw fireballs (Cham can throw her A up-fireball, but if you stay grounded at range it won't hit you).  No fireballs means Cham's demon flip is really the only offensive thing either of us can do- but that basically creates a 50/50, where you generally do slightly higher damage to me on a good guess than I do to you on a bad one.  So I can't just play the match flipping all the time.

That leaves me trying to play in closer with normals, which is rough because Amak just out-spaces Cham in so much real-estate.   If I can reach you with a medium, you can reach me with a light and stuff it.  If I can reach you with a heavy, you can reach me with medium and stuff it.  Except out at the very tip of her 5c, where if she does get it off you're probably eating a counter hit for a small truckload of hurt.

Then there's the whole thing where Cham's anti-air is a fireball, and Amak has the only fireball-immune air shenanigan in the game, lol.  Totally makes my reactions work against me.

14 hours ago, Reticently said:

I've played a little single player since the last lobby we ran, but aside from probably helping a bit with my execution I don't think it changed my approach any.  And I was still dropping some easy special cancels, so Idk.

Probably the bigger difference was that I had a cappuccino about an hour before we started, so I was playing fully awake instead of my normal sleep deprived mess, lol.  (#PerformanceEnhancingDrug)

I legitimately think Cham is much better than most of the tier lists make her out to be, but the Amak matchup is just weird for her.  At long range, neither of us can really throw fireballs (Cham can throw her A up-fireball, but if you stay grounded at range it won't hit you).  No fireballs means Cham's demon flip is really the only offensive thing either of us can do- but that basically creates a 50/50, where you generally do slightly higher damage to me on a good guess than I do to you on a bad one.  So I can't just play the match flipping all the time.

That leaves me trying to play in closer with normals, which is rough because Amak just out-spaces Cham in so much real-estate.   If I can reach you with a medium, you can reach me with a light and stuff it.  If I can reach you with a heavy, you can reach me with medium and stuff it.  Except out at the very tip of her 5c, where if she does get it off you're probably eating a counter hit for a small truckload of hurt.

Then there's the whole thing where Cham's anti-air is a fireball, and Amak has the only fireball-immune air shenanigan in the game, lol.  Totally makes my reactions work against me.

Yeah I noticed that once I started mixing up with my DP that it helped a bit with your upward boomerang. From what I've been told, the reason Cham is low tier is because demon flip is really all she has for mixups. If the opponent just blocks everything she does, all she can do is try to get that started and if they see that coming, it's game over. Like vs Haoh or Genjuro, or anyone with a good DP, I have to imagine that would be a really tough matchup for her, but I can't say for sure.

Speaking of your #PEDs (🤣) I played a set with a guy today after having way too much coffee and I think it made me mash more lol, but you were killing though, you should have a cappuccino more often lol! But he did manage to use Basara's helm splitter kick to knock me out of Amakusa's DP thing, so it's very possible that you have something in your arsenal that would counteract it somehow.

Edited by DoctaMario
8 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Like vs Haoh or Genjuro, or anyone with a good DP, I have to imagine that would be a really tough matchup for her

In some ways those matches feel closer to even, if only because punishing a baited DP is such a huge damage swing.  And even most characters with a god-tier poke like Haoh don't contest footsie space like Amak does, so getting to spacing where they at least have to worry about being punished on block is more practical.

Cham does have additional mix tools, its just hard to run them outside of oki.  She gets a lot of mix off her dash normals, but they're short-ranged buttons that just get her hit on approach in neutral.  66A is an un-parryable special cancel, 66B is an overhead that knocks down, 66C is the junior version of Hanzo's cross-up, 66D is garbage, but 3D is a slide that knocks down.   It's another situation where she needs a life lead before it makes sense for her to start trying to mix though, just from the risk involved if the opponent guesses right.

I do have to lab other anti-airs against Death Star.  The one thing that worked (once) when we were playing was SSM- which was great but tight timing and then SSM is gone for the rest of the match.

4 minutes ago, Reticently said:

I'd be happy switching to those if it means more people get to play.

Don't switch for me at all. But if you guys throw in a random Friday, every once in a while, I can make time to do it. I'd be Embracing Death twice: Once playing the game and twice when I tell my wife I'd rather play video games than spend time with her.

Path of the Samurai is a lonely one.

👺

Rundown of last night:

Ukyo is really fun to play. TKs all day everday.

Darli Dagger is still awesome even if I don't understand her normals too well.

Tam Tam is freaking huge. Holy nuts is this guy just massive wit his normals.

Fire explosion guy is hilarious. Cashing out level 3 fire orbs is fun. Exploding yourself to teleport backwards is also fun.

Gungsong Li is really fun but absolute nonsense. Think if I wanted to be as sweaty as human possible in Samurai Shodown, I'd play her in tournaments. For casuals she just feels stupid to play. Would bully somebody who claims "she's the only character he likes in the game".

6 hours ago, Sonero said:

Gungsong Li is really fun but absolute nonsense. Think if I wanted to be as sweaty as human possible in Samurai Shodown, I'd play her in tournaments. For casuals she just feels stupid to play. Would bully somebody who claims "she's the only character he likes in the game".

Yeah she was the top tier for awhile with Shizumaru. Imagine GSL but even more ridiculous because she eventually got nerfed in one of the last couple patches.

I've been playing a lot of Kazuki lately and I like him a lot. His game is fun you can either rush people down, zone a bit, or something in between. Tbh he is the type of character I wish there were more of in this game in terms of having a lot of variety in the way you can play them.

14 hours ago, Hecatom said:

1st vids

I watched the first and last matches in this post and I think you probably would have won if you had backed off a bit, particularly in the last match. You had a life lead and SavageStance seemed to want to back off a bit. You should have let him figure it out rather than giving him fodder to punish. SamSho is different from a lot of other games in that sometimes the best thing to do is nothing, and to let your opponent try to figure out what the next move is, particularly if you have the life lead. If you'd let the timer run out, you probably would have won the round, but popping off the Rage Explosion not only stopped the time, but also allowed him to use your aggression against you trying to land something.

6 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I watched the first and last matches in this post and I think you probably would have won if you had backed off a bit, particularly in the last match. You had a life lead and SavageStance seemed to want to back off a bit. You should have let him figure it out rather than giving him fodder to punish. SamSho is different from a lot of other games in that sometimes the best thing to do is nothing, and to let your opponent try to figure out what the next move is, particularly if you have the life lead. If you'd let the timer run out, you probably would have won the round, but popping off the Rage Explosion not only stopped the time, but also allowed him to use your aggression against you trying to land something.

At the risk of sounding as I am making excuses, it was around 2 o3 am when I was having those matches And I am on some medications that kind of impair me during the night to help me with an hernia 😅

Yeah, I am aware that made a lot of mistakes that lead me to losing rounds and even matches that I could have won.

During the matches I was focusing on trying different stuff, since before this set, I honestly never played against a Gongsun Li, so I took the opportunity to experiment.

Not that it helped me, lol

On 9/23/2022 at 11:38 PM, Hecatom said:

At the risk of sounding as I am making excuses, it was around 2 o3 am when I was having those matches And I am on some medications that kind of impair me during the night to help me with an hernia 😅

Yeah, I am aware that made a lot of mistakes that lead me to losing rounds and even matches that I could have won.

During the matches I was focusing on trying different stuff, since before this set, I honestly never played against a Gongsun Li, so I took the opportunity to experiment.

Not that it helped me, lol

No worries man, I was.just giving you some ideas. By and large, SamSho is very worthy of the whole chess match comparison in that if you get a life lead and especially if you're up a round, it can be a good idea to back off if things are more in neutral and force the opponent to make the first move. It also potentially forces them to use their resources (rage explosion) at time they don't want to.

GSL is weird, she plays more like a GG character than a SamSho character. I've played SavageStance's GSL before and it's a tough go no matter what. He's a pretty good player.

9 hours ago, Reticently said:

I'm down for some games in the back half of the week.  Tough to say what  my exact availability is, but I'll probably end up being free most nights.

Let me know once you figure it out, I'm down to play some games. I've slowed down on this one a bit in a last couple weeks.

Edited by DoctaMario

@Hecatomwith the SF6 beta code secret sauce, I'm guessing you're not available for SamSho this weekend?

@Sonero  @Mattatsuas I believe we're all in the no beta code club, either of you available sometime Fri-Sat-Sun for a SamSho lobby?

On 10/4/2022 at 7:53 PM, DoctaMario said:

Let me know once you figure it out, I'm down to play some games. I've slowed down on this one a bit in a last couple weeks.

My wife just got back from business travel and seems to have brought a head cold, so figuring out an exact time is a little wonky for me just based on not being able to predict what she/the kids will need.

That said, if we can sort out a night that's good for the group I can probably make the time to join.

45 minutes ago, Reticently said:

@Hecatomwith the SF6 beta code secret sauce, I'm guessing you're not available for SamSho this weekend?

@Sonero  @Mattatsuas I believe we're all in the no beta code club, either of you available sometime Fri-Sat-Sun for a SamSho lobby?

My wife just got back from business travel and seems to have brought a head cold, so figuring out an exact time is a little wonky for me just based on not being able to predict what she/the kids will need.

That said, if we can sort out a night that's good for the group I can probably make the time to join.

I am always open to play Samsho 👍

50 minutes ago, Reticently said:

We could plan for Friday or Saturday ( @Sonero you have a preference?) and then see what happens. I'm available pretty much any night (multiple nights even lol) so it's all the same to me.

Edited by DoctaMario
2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Everything ok mate?

Let us know what things are looking like for tonight when you know

Sorry, I was trying to respond earlier but this thread kept crashing on my phone (oddly the SF6 thread is fine).

Anyways, all is well. I've been dealing with some family stuff over the last month which has caused me to have fluctuating moods (some are sad days, some days are stressful, etc). I should be okay for tonight though - well after 9pm et anyway, and I may not be able to play much past 11pm.