Stage Select

The Samurai Shodown Thread

4 hours ago, Sonero said:

After playing DoctaMario last night I realized something,

Haomaru threw a fireball. This whole time I thought it was a hadouken, Turns out its more of a sonic boom.  I was so confused. 😂

The name of the game in a nutshell is maximizing the amount of damage you do in each interaction. I know that sounds obvious but given that a majority of your time is spent in neutral, this mea s you don't have to win as many neutral situations if you're doing as much damage as you can.

Haoh's tornado is a fireball in the strictest sense. The thing that I was getting you with last night was recoil canceling. When one of your slashes is blocked, your character goes into a recoil animation, and that animation can be cancelled into a special move or a deflect. So I was using Haoh's 5C (the big dick slash he has) as something of a zoning tool and when you'd block it, I'd cancel it into DP or tornado so that I could catch you when you tried to punish. Every character has recoil cancels and it's a way of covering your ass while fishing for damage, but it's also a good way to train your opponent and flex some mind games as well.

This is a pretty big part of Sogetsu's game plan. His 2C is a good fishing move, and if it gets blocked, recoil cancelling it into water spout or even teleport are solid choices for him. Bubble can be used to create high/low mixups that give you opportunities to stick 2C out there, especially if you control it manually.

Ukyo is a tough character. He can grab damage out of situations where no other character can due to how fast his slashes are (he can do damage on hit in some cases) but he's about locking them down with tsubame in the corner or punishing them and overwhelming them with his speed. You definitely want to combo into that shadow slash (236S) most of the time rather than putting it out there raw, especially if you're going for the B or C versions because it's pretty punishable. 66C is a great punish from afar because of its speed.

SamSho in general is very different from any other franchise, but especially this one. It has its own pacing and rhythm and even with the previous experience I had with the series, it took me awhile to really get a handle on it. You had some solid moments last night.

Edited by DoctaMario
9 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

I’m likely playing a buddy in the GGST beta tomorrow night, but if that falls though, I’ll be free tomorrow. I’ll let you guys know if I am

Bro GGST has been out for a year now. What beta? 😂

I kid, I dunno what GGST is if it isn't strive lol

I'm down to play tonight if anyone's up for it. And Reticently, that is a great book, we have that one 😂

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

Bro GGST has been out for a year now. What beta? 😂

I kid, I dunno what GGST is if it isn't strive lol

I'm down to play tonight if anyone's up for it. And Reticently, that is a great book, we have that one 😂

Lol, it is Strive. They are currently doing a crossplay beta to test PC to PS4/5 crossplay and it’s free for everyone, so I’m supposed to be playing it tonight with a buddy who didn’t buy it yet.

6 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Lol, it is Strive. They are currently doing a crossplay beta to test PC to PS4/5 crossplay and it’s free for everyone, so I’m supposed to be playing it tonight with a buddy who didn’t buy it yet.

Interesting, didn't know that. Hopefully you can join us.

Not sure what time I'll be ready to go but if you guys want to get going before I can jump on, go for it, but I imagine around 8 CST. @Sonero you in on it tonight?