Stage Select

The Samurai Shodown Thread

15 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

I know understand why the jumpins in this franchise has always felt off to me.

Also "combo jump" is such a weird mechanic. Like, why? 

What do you mean by "combo jump?" Are you talking a out being able to cancel landing frames with another jump?

Edited by DoctaMario
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, HeavensCloud said:

Been a long time since I watched high level Samsho.  Surprised to see a Basara make it to top 8.  He was crazy good and almost beat the Baiken player who ended up winning it all.  

Basara is such a great character and they've really done him dirty in this game

24 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Earthquake is so fun and I have no idea why lol

I bet that is the fact that he breaks a lot of molds from his archetype.
He can easily be considered a grappler/heavy, but he is also a good zonner and has good mixups tools that also serve to close the gap despite his slow walk movement.

Or at least is how I see it based on my own experience.

12 hours ago, Hecatom said:

I bet that is the fact that he breaks a lot of molds from his archetype.
He can easily be considered a grappler/heavy, but he is also a good zonner and has good mixups tools that also serve to close the gap despite his slow walk movement.

Or at least is how I see it based on my own experience.

It's not even that. You're right in your assessment but I guess it's just how satisfying it is to land what he has. He's kind of a one dimensional character here but landing that jC 5C thing, or the ninja drop or command grab just feels good. Definitely not a character I thought I'd be getting this much enjoyment out of.

3 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

@Hecatom I snapped up the Anthology in the PS store (it's $5.99 for anyone else in here wanting to check it out and looking for a good excuse) so if you want to throw down on it sometimes let me know. I'm not sure if I'll be around tonight or not, but if so, maybe tonight?

Let me check, cuz today we have a family farewell reunion for my sister who is going to travel to Canada to study her master degree.

The reunion is supposed to be during the afternoon, but it could probably take some more time beyond that😅

Edited by Hecatom
1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

Let me check, cuz today we have a family farewell reunion for my sister who is going to travel to Canada to study her master degree.

The reunion is supposed to be during the afternoon, but it could probably take some more time beyond that😅

We can do it another night. How are weeknights for you? Which SamSho games did you spend the most time with?

On 4/29/2023 at 2:48 PM, DoctaMario said:

We can do it another night. How are weeknights for you? Which SamSho games did you spend the most time with?

Mostly the first 2 and 4.

I dabbed a little with 3.

But this was at least a decade ago, so playing them now is like playing them for the 1st time, I need to relearn the mechanics and characters 😅

Usually my week nights are open, but this week, being the last week my sister is on the country, it has been a little busy 😅

Edited by Hecatom
8 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Mostly the first 2 and 4.

I dabbed a little with 3.

But this was at least a decade ago, so playing them now is like playing them for the 1st time, I need to relearn the mechanics and characters 😅

Usually my week nights are open, but this week, being the last week my sister is on the country, it has been a little busy 😅

School up on 4. Outside of 5Sp it's one I've been wanting to play more and if you've got some experience with it, I'd love to play some matches of it

4 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

School up on 4. Outside of 5Sp it's one I've been wanting to play more and if you've got some experience with it, I'd love to play some matches of it

Ok, gonna practice that one and try to relearn the game, but don't get you hopes so high, lol.

It has been really a while.

I used to play that game on arcades when I was studying my degree back in 2001 to 2003 when they took the cabinet away.

It was the side game I played while waiting on the other games I played more seriously, like CVS2, GG, GGXX/GGXX#R, etc.

Alongside DOA2Tag, it was one of those games I ended being decent because I played them a lot while waiting for the other cabs.

Edited by Hecatom
9 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Ok, gonna practice that one and try to relearn the game, but don't get you hopes so high, lol.

It has been really a while.

I used to play that game on arcades when I was studying my degree back in 2001 to 2003 when they took the cabinet away.

It was the side game I played while waiting on the other games I played more seriously, like CVS2, GG, GGXX/GGXX#R, etc.

Alongside DOA2Tag, it was one of those games I ended being decent because I played them a lot while waiting for the other cabs.

I'm in touch with that feeling lol

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

I'm bummed it's delayed but I'd rather then get it right than rush it out

The first beta was so fucking rough, they pretty much had to bump it.

I'm just annoyed the 2nd beta is in June.  A month where my kids have no daycare, I'm moving, I have a week of out of state vacation, and oh yeah- something called Street Fighter 6 comes out.  I'm sure I'll get lots of quality SamSho beta time in 😩

Imagine SS1 version of Wong-Foo in CVS2 instead of Haohmaru. They should bring back his sword.

His K-Groove meter builds up the fastest and stays powered up the longest. Not to mention those sword throw mixups and the sword dealing heavy damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W38-O4relJY

YouTube would not allow this link to be embedded.

Edited by Jion_Wansu
8 hours ago, Jion_Wansu said:

Imagine SS1 version of Wong-Foo in CVS2 instead of Haohmaru. They should bring back his sword.

His K-Groove meter builds up the fastest and stays powered up the longest. Not to mention those sword throw mixups and the sword dealing heavy damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W38-O4relJY

YouTube would not allow this link to be embedded.

Wan Fu's combat concept is pretty cool (throwing his weapon being a central part of his game and then having to recover it) but he's kind of a dull character. I wish they'd put someone else in SamSho7 rather than him.

Genan is another character I don't understand why people constantly stan for except for hipster reasons. His weapon is cool, but it's tied to a character that would have been better left to the cutting room floor.

In that video above, I didn't know that you could cancel the fierce slash (2 punch buttons at the same time) to an SRK with Wan-Fu for a good combo. Kinda like the Ryu/Ken fierce into SRK. Guess you can also cancel a move into the sword throw too.

Edited by Jion_Wansu