Stage Select

The Samurai Shodown Thread


Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...

So I'm a bit late on this, but my PS4 hasn't been hooked up for a few months either-

 

Cham Cham is really fucking good.  Fast, has reach, can put herself almost anywhere on the screen from wherever she's standing, built-in mix-ups.  Like the closest thing that's a downside is that boomerang throws are a commitment.

Edited by Reticently
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, Reticently said:

So I'm a bit late on this, but my PS4 hasn't been hooked up for a few months either-

 

Cham Cham is really fucking good.  Fast, has reach, can put herself almost anywhere on the screen from wherever she's standing, built-in mix-ups.  Like the closest thing that's a downside is that boomerang throws are a commitment.

That's the game in general though. Tossing out anything beyond a light or a kick can get you killed and even those in the wrong spot will be an in for a good player.

 

Once I get my PS4 hooked up maybe we should do a MS lobby.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

Amakusa loses pretty hard to Basara. The teleport DP is the bane of his existence.

I don't agree. I think it's an even matchup because Amakusa is better situated to punish Basara's attempts to start up his puffball shenanigans than most with 2C, and if Bas can't get that going, he has a hard time. But even if he can, Amak can teleport around it, so Bas has to do something quick to follow it up. Bas' dp is the slowest in the game and has no invulnerability on it so if you can bait it, it's a guaranteed punish. 

 

If Bas can get his BS started, I agree it could be tough, for Amak, but Amak's pokes make that difficult. 

 

Link to comment
3 hours ago, Reticently said:

Actually played some online SamSho via Steam this morning, and not that I'm not rusty AF, but I found it difficult to keep up with other characters' damage output using Cham Cham.  Her mix-ups definitely created openings, but the risk vs reward on her stuff feels a little stacked against her.

She seems like a character that has to make the most of the ins she gets. If you don't make the most of them, you get out damaged by Haohmaru or Genjuro. 

Link to comment

Been doing more matchup research with Amakusa, and it's interesting how some of them shake out. Some of them that I expected to be pretty bad (like Charlotte for instance) are a lot easier than I thought they'd be, while some like Yashamaru Are tougher than I thought. And then there's Yoshitora who still feels like bashing your head against the wall. 

 

@ReticentlyI did some checking with Cham and she absolutely does very little damage. Best bet is to make the most of the interactions you get and maybe even get hit on purpose a couple times to get your POW gauge up so you can maximize your damage output. 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

I did some checking with Cham and she absolutely does very little damage.

Yeah, in play she definitely feels like she's working, then you look up and she never has the life lead.  I was only really taking rounds if I managed to hit a WFT or Issen.  At least her WFT and SSM are both decent.

Edited by Reticently
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Reticently said:

Yeah, in play she definitely feels like she's working, then you look up and she never has the life lead.  I was only really taking rounds if I managed to hit a WFT or Issen.  At least her WFT and SSM are both decent.

Yeah you definitely want to make sure you can land her SSM and WFT if at all possible but also maximize what you do once she's raged, so maybe try to hit them a few times before you try.to land a WFT.

 

I've been having a similar issue with Amakusa because he no longer hits like a truck like he used to so I have to make the most of his meter and am working on trying to be more consistent landing his SSM. 

Edited by DoctaMario
Link to comment
27 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

you have to somewhat plan ahead to use any of the big ones

Ah, like Cham's 5C.  Range like a fireball, but terrible frames and drags her hurtbox out across half the screen.

 

It's actually pretty funny seeing how far away she can get hit from when you set the training dummy to Stance Break.

 

Link to comment
47 minutes ago, Reticently said:

Ah, like Cham's 5C.  Range like a fireball, but terrible frames and drags her hurtbox out across half the screen.

 

It's actually pretty funny seeing how far away she can get hit from when you set the training dummy to Stance Break.

 

Yeah that's usually how it goes. You really only want to use 5C when it's guaranteed, just inside of its range, or when you know you have a good recoil cancel option to cover it if they block.

Link to comment
7 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Been doing more matchup research with Amakusa, and it's interesting how some of them shake out. Some of them that I expected to be pretty bad (like Charlotte for instance) are a lot easier than I thought they'd be, while some like Yashamaru Are tougher than I thought. And then there's Yoshitora who still feels like bashing your head against the wall. 

How's the Jubei matchup? I imagine his parries would make those abusable long range normals problematic. 

Link to comment
17 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

How's the Jubei matchup? I imagine his parries would make those abusable long range normals problematic. 

I think it depends on how good someone is with the catch counters. Amakusa's 2A & 2B are a big part of his poke game so I would be sure to stick out the low counter if I were playing Jubei. I don't see a lot of Jubei players using them though. He can almost out poke Amak though, his 5B has insane range and can combo right into his dp even if you're not close, so I'd imagine it's a 6-4 matchup. Maybe even 6.5-3.5 if they're good with the counters. 

Link to comment

I kind of picture Amakusa working a bit like Kyoshiro, where he's throwing out a variety of similar looking pokes at mid range, which can make it hard to get the correct read for a party.

 

Might just be me, but superficially the start-ups on a bunch of Amakusa stuff look pretty similar.  Even the fireball start-up fools me sometime, because the color palette is pretty similar to the orb.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Reticently said:

I kind of picture Amakusa working a bit like Kyoshiro, where he's throwing out a variety of similar looking pokes at mid range, which can make it hard to get the correct read for a party.

 

Might just be me, but superficially the start-ups on a bunch of Amakusa stuff look pretty similar.  Even the fireball start-up fools me sometime, because the color palette is pretty similar to the orb.

That's an interesting observation! His 5B and 214B look exactly the same except the 214B has a glow around it. You can block both the same but 5B is punishable even on hit, but if you don't block the 214B you get tossed. 

 

Kyo was better in 5Sp (most of the characters are) but he just doesn't work the same in this game. His frog move is an unblockable but he's just not super effective here and so I don't see many people use him these days to really know what his game is anymore.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Kyo was better in 5Sp (most of the characters are) but he just doesn't work the same in this game

I'm more familiar with his game as he was at launch than I am in the current patch, but he can patiently control much of the screen if he doesn't mind low, steady damage.  His downfall is that it's really hard for him to get into positions where he can deal high burst damage, aside from risking frog anyway.  

Link to comment
On 6/23/2021 at 11:21 PM, Reticently said:

I'm more familiar with his game as he was at launch than I am in the current patch, but he can patiently control much of the screen if he doesn't mind low, steady damage.  His downfall is that it's really hard for him to get into positions where he can deal high burst damage, aside from risking frog anyway.  

He was one of the worst characters at launch and is still pretty bad; I don't get the sense that they know what to do with him. That the stages are much smaller here than they were in 4 and 5Sp definitely doesn't help him at all, neither does his lack of being able to force damage. 

Link to comment

More Cham Cham thoughts:

 

What I think she really needs, rather than a straight up damage boost, is a true combo off her already cancelable 5A and 2A.  Right now the only real use for those cancels is tic demon flip, which can be useful but most characters seem to have an answer for if they aren't caught sleeping.   Even just letting her A up boomerang toss combo off them would really help.

 

Other than damage she's a lot of fun to play, really feels like she contests every position on the screen if the opponent wants to do something that leaves them exposed.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Reticently said:

More Cham Cham thoughts:

 

What I think she really needs, rather than a straight up damage boost, is a true combo off her already cancelable 5A and 2A.  Right now the only real use for those cancels is tic demon flip, which can be useful but most characters seem to have an answer for if they aren't caught sleeping.   Even just letting her A up boomerang toss combo off them would really help.

 

Other than damage she's a lot of fun to play, really feels like she contests every position on the screen if the opponent wants to do something that leaves them exposed.

I need to play around with her some. I got caught slipping by her SSM though, I teleported back, thinking she was just going to stop at the spot I was.at but she kept going and rekt me 😂

Link to comment
  • 1 month later...
On 8/1/2021 at 12:12 PM, Reticently said:

Not character I play, but I think I've mostly seen people do a shorter take on that as his big conversion bread and butter in 7.  Same idea though, where the prolonged hit stun on the enhanced fireball lets him extend the combo.

Yeah his Big fireball>66AB has been one of his bnbs since probably SS3, but at least SS4. One of the Japanese players said theyve seen this in the new game too which surprises me a bit. 

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll be recording Samurai Shodown at Summer Jam, along with anything else that doesn't have a dedicated streamer.  I don't know if the hotel internet will let me stream and the last time I had a mic at the place I had to re-record everything because it was hard to get the sound balanced, but my goal is to record at least Top 8 so that I can easily so who played when, get commentators, and then stream the replay on my channel before giving it to Arturo.

 

I want to get as many Top 8s as possible in that room.  

Link to comment
  • 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, ZioSerpe said:

And still it will have better netcode than the game itself.

I think the game's netcode is exacerbated by the fact that SNK tuned it for connections around the southeast asia area and because a majority  of people play on wifi. I won't make the case that it's perfect, but if everyone had a fiber connection and played wired, you wouldn't hear as much about it as you do.

Link to comment
  • 3 months later...
On 9/13/2021 at 3:53 PM, DoctaMario said:

I think the game's netcode is exacerbated by the fact that SNK tuned it for connections around the southeast asia area and because a majority  of people play on wifi. I won't make the case that it's perfect, but if everyone had a fiber connection and played wired, you wouldn't hear as much about it as you do.

When @Mattatsuand I played it the connection was okay. I'm in South Carolina and he is in Canada. Granted I have a 1GB internet connection.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
Link to comment
30 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

When @Mattatsuand I played it the connection was okay. I'm in South Carolina and he is in Canada. Granted I have a 1GB internet connection.

And I don’t, lol. I mostly am like 60 down, 10 up.

 

tbh, I never thought the netcode was that bad. I remember having some issues with one-hit confirms and some matches, but the online player-pool (or lack of) was the biggest problem.

Link to comment
On 12/15/2021 at 8:12 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

When @Mattatsuand I played it the connection was okay. I'm in South Carolina and he is in Canada. Granted I have a 1GB internet connection.

Yeah that's about what I have too. We had a lobby once or twice here and for the most part the connections were good even with Hecatom who's in Honduras. Might be fun to do that again sometime.

Link to comment
  • 7 months later...

Good to see SamSho is going to get rollback and that Code Mystics is doing it. This game was really a victim of bad circumstances what with it having delay netcode that was pretty decent for what it was but still connection exclusive and then covid shutting down locals and majors. Feel like the damage has already been done but maybe this will prompt a bit of a resurgence for this game.

 

I'm down to play sometime if anyone is up for it. @Hecatomeentioned having a lobby sometime.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
  • Create New...
Stage Select