Stage Select

The Samurai Shodown Thread

4 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

So, I have been trying to play with Evil Hibiki all this time, but I am not able to select her, maybe I am doing something wrong.

Supposedly is pressing/holding square while selecting her, but is not working.

Are you pressing X to select her or another button? I think you have to use X to select from what I've read.

3 minutes ago, Reticently said:

Amakusa's SSM always kicks my ps4's fan into overdrive at the exact moment when he clenches his hand.

You probably need to clean yours out like I do 😂 I don't want the thing to melt down but the idea of taking it apart isn't one I relish.

3 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Sorry guys, gonna call it a night. GOod games everyone!

Thanks for joining man, always good to play you

14 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Haven't watched this yet myself as I've still be watching pools bit by bit, but it'll probably have some great matches in it

Where are the pools?

I only watched the top 4 when it happened, but wasn't able to watch the pools.

Any Iroha there?

So it took some internet digging to find, but this should be the complete final patch frame data:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B8KYrZs3WcTgx00vOMIGgTjZXmjf5VWx/view

Mostly in Japanese, but with enough English/numpad notation to figure it out.  I know there's a wiki out there with some of this info, but this seems to be more complete/updated.

Edited by Reticently
On 8/22/2022 at 10:26 AM, DoctaMario said:

Right here

I didn't see any Iroha players, and tbh the amount of character variety wasn't all too impressive that I remember.

Yeah, it seems there wasn't much variety, and no Iroha, but there was some Shiki's.

One thing I noticed is that they are not using all the mechanics in the game, like the parries or using a parry/special after a heavy recoil, there were a lot of times where they could have gone for it.

The same for the combo jumps.

Of course, is not like I do use them 😅

Edit

Also, seeing a lot of Jubei's brings back some memories.

My 2nd fg was samsho 2 on pc back on the 96, how my best friend got it, dunno, but we played it for hours.

My mains on the game were Cham Cham, Genjuro and Jubei.

Maybe I should try playing with them again.

Edited by Hecatom
45 minutes ago, Reticently said:

On my lunch break today I decided I should learn Wan-fu.

Spent 10 minutes in training to get the basics down, fired up story mode to putz around a bit, ran into Mina on the 3rd match.

20 minutes of trying to use Wan-fu against Mina and I decided it just wasn't going to work out, lol.

I think that maybe Mina is a bad matchup?

TBH, I don't know, but I would assume that Wan Fu would have problems with her, since he is kind of slow.

35 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

he is kind of slow.

He's a bit faster than I thought he was going to be, honestly.

Mina looks like a ridiculously bad match-up for him though.  His get-in tools are nowhere near as good as her get-off-me tools, and then he's back at full screen without his weapon getting arrow chipped to death.  

I know that the computer cheats a lot reading inputs, but damn.

Edited by Reticently
16 minutes ago, Reticently said:

He's a bit faster than I thought he was going to be, honestly.

Mina looks like a ridiculously bad match-up for him though.  His get-in tools are nowhere near as good as her get-off-me tools, and then he's back at full screen without his weapon getting arrow chipped to death.  

I know that the computer cheats a lot ready inputs, but damn.

And keep in mind that Mina on this samsho is heavily, and I mean heavily nerfed, since for lor reasons they made her weak, with basically all her specials changed 😅

Edited by Hecatom
On 8/23/2022 at 9:18 PM, Hecatom said:

Yeah, it seems there wasn't much variety, and no Iroha, but there was some Shiki's.

One thing I noticed is that they are not using all the mechanics in the game, like the parries or using a parry/special after a heavy recoil, there were a lot of times where they could have gone for it.

The same for the combo jumps.

Of course, is not like I do use them 😅

Edit

Also, seeing a lot of Jubei's brings back some memories.

My 2nd fg was samsho 2 on pc back on the 96, how my best friend got it, dunno, but we played it for hours.

My mains on the game were Cham Cham, Genjuro and Jubei.

Maybe I should try playing with them again.

I don't know that the level of play was really that high outside of a few players.  I think a lot of people haven't been playing the game for quite awhile so they're either just getting back into it or that's about where they stopped learning. I don't see a lot of recoil cancels which, for certain characters, is a major part of their game.

6 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I may be okay for Saturday night. I have some family stuff that may come up, but nothing yet

I may potentially have covid so I probably won't make it, as I'm isolating right now, but Hecatom, let me know if you decide to stream any matches y'all have and I'll watch!

14 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I may potentially have covid

That sucks, I hope it turns out to be nothing much! 

7 hours ago, Hecatom said:

BTW, will we play this weekend?

I'm game in theory, but I think my wife might start to take it personally if I ditch her for video games too many Saturday nights in a row, lol.  If some of the rest of you are playing and she decides to call it an early evening I may hop on.

34 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I don't know that the level of play was really that high outside of a few players.  I think a lot of people haven't been playing the game for quite awhile so they're either just getting back into it or that's about where they stopped learning. I don't see a lot of recoil cancels which, for certain characters, is a major part of their game.

I may potentially have covid so I probably won't make it, as I'm isolating right now, but Hecatom, let me know if you decide to stream any matches y'all have and I'll watch!

Sorry to hear that.

Hopefully you get it as light as I did where the only symptom I had was a sore throat.

And yeah, if my internet stops acting like garbage I will try to stream the matches if we get any this weekend.