Stage Select

The Nintendo Switch Thread

2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

I don't like using the stylus to control games on my 3DS. Don't mind when like drawing the naps or something etrian but I dontnwant to control the game that way it's annoying and the 3DS is heavy to play that way extended periods of time. 

That’s why even after 20 some odd years later the original DS version of The World Ends with You is the best way to play it. It was built from the ground up using the stylus as the main tool to navigate everything in the game.

Just plop your system on the couch, or you lap, or whatever and play with just the stylus. 

Its also why TWEWY is considered the definitive showcase software for what the DS was capable of doing. Others kinda just tacked it on or made it optional.

Even with Phantom Hour Glass and Spirit Tracks being built around the stylus in a lot of ways their usage still felt like half hearted attempts when compared to TWEWY. 

Edited by iStu X
6 hours ago, iStu X said:

That’s why even after 20 some odd years later the original DS version of The World Ends with You is the best way to play it. It was built from the ground up using the stylus as the main tool to navigate everything in the game.

Just plop your system on the couch, or you lap, or whatever and play with just the stylus. 

Its also why TWEWY is considered the definitive showcase software for what the DS was capable of doing. Others kinda just tacked it on or made it optional.

Even with Phantom Hour Glass and Spirit Tracks being built around the stylus in a lot of ways their usage still felt like half hearted attempts when compared to TWEWY. 

I hated TWEWY.......................

Some noteworthy games are on sale for the eShop....Metroid Dread is a big one.

https://www.nintendo.com/store/sales-and-deals/

Just throwing this out there in the event that someone hasn't bought Dread yet.  Also some First party physical games are $20 off until 10/15.  LoZ: SS, Hyrule Warriors AoC, New Pokemon Snap, Yoshi's Crafted World,  SM3DW+BF and Nintendo Sports.

26 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Too bad Mario Kart and Link Awakening aren't included in that sale. 

I'd imagine if someone were to ask Nintendo why hasn't MK8D been on sale since it's release they'd stare at that person for a second, look over the pile of money made from that game has made alone, then turn back and say "Next question please"

Edit:

THAT BEING SAID....Amazon actually has a sale going on right now for prime members and MK8D is 47.98 new physical.  I mean...it's not the most but...

https://www.amazon.com/Mario-Kart-8-Deluxe-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B01N1081RO/ref=asc_df_B01N1081RO/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312203639917&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15482246928532343743&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9051867&hvtargid=pla-347620826776&psc=1

Walmart has it on sale new for 44.99

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mario-Kart-8-Deluxe-Nintendo-Switch/55432571?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1056&&adid=22222222227072608040&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=183881165946&wl4=aud-430887228898:pla-287822948608&wl5=9051867&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112354288&wl11=online&wl12=55432571&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAjw7p6aBhBiEiwA83fGurUtTlgNAt1jjfUV0OqW68zW531aD4V2qx5VXxhg1Hq9HneqB7bbnxoCXWgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by Sonichuman
1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

I'd imagine if someone were to ask Nintendo why hasn't MK8D been on sale since it's release they'd stare at that person for a second, look over the pile of money made from that game has made alone, then turn back and say "Next question please"

Animated GIF

I knew it was coming out sooner or later. Just couldn’t remember when in October 

Edited by iStu X
4 hours ago, RegH81 said:

I have defeated Cohozuna ONE time. Every time Godzilla Salmon appears, I am filled with dread due to the mountain of Ls I have amassed.

Emotional Damage GIF by Jennifer Accomando

I haven't beaten Cohozuna once yet.  I didn't even know you were supposed to throw the eggs at him because there's so much god damn chaos going on around him plus his fat ass jumping around.  You're constantly trying to keep shit under control when he shows up that you barely have any time to give him the time of day and every second you spend looking at Cohozuna is another second for a fly fish SOMEWHERE ON THE GOD DAMN MAP to be raining hell fire on everyone.  I think the last time I fought him it felt like there was salmonids covering 60% of the map with 5 bosses at least doing whatever the fuck.  So far my score with him is 1 loss, 2 survives, 0 wins.  Each one of those survives was by a fucking thread and I was usually the last one alive just fucking running my ass off while they're ink explosions going off behind me.

4 hours ago, RegH81 said:

I have defeated Cohozuna ONE time. Every time Godzilla Salmon appears, I am filled with dread due to the mountain of Ls I have amassed.

My gal and I are determined to beat one. Right now we can't hit Profesional because we get close BUUUUUUT

1) we get derpy teammates who can get past round one

2) we get a dumb round of either glow flies/griller for the finale 

3) a disconnect 

• iStu X changed the title to The Nintendo Switch Thread - Pokemon Scarlet and Violet 11/18
On 10/13/2022 at 7:07 PM, Sonichuman said:

Some noteworthy games are on sale for the eShop....Metroid Dread is a big one.

https://www.nintendo.com/store/sales-and-deals/

Just throwing this out there in the event that someone hasn't bought Dread yet.  Also some First party physical games are $20 off until 10/15.  LoZ: SS, Hyrule Warriors AoC, New Pokemon Snap, Yoshi's Crafted World,  SM3DW+BF and Nintendo Sports.

Came in here to heads up people about Dread being on sale. I wasn't planning on buying it, but I know this is probably the only time it'll be on sale for the next year or so, so I guess you gotta get while the getting's good.

2 hours ago, Lantis said:

I just got Metroid Dread....before the eShop sale though 😢

I dunno why this game reminds me specifically of the latest Strider game....

The faster more fluid movement? Strider was able to run into a slide and then back on his feet without missing a best much like a Samus slide work int his game. 

Also 2.5d might be part of it as well?

I'll post in the VG discussion thread as well, but I just beat Bayonetta 3. Overall I enjoyed the time I had with it but it's not better than the second one. I bought a WiiU for that game in particular, I would feel a bit let down if I did the same for this one. Still worth a purchase especially if you are a fan. 

The one reality with this game that was hard to bear is the Switch is showing cracks in it's performance here. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124
1 hour ago, DarkSakul said:

Bayo 3 performance is more the fact that Platinum can't code for shit

Having a stable FPS was never their wheel house.

John Linneman at Digital Foundry thinks they need to update their technology. IIRC Platinum uses their own engine. It's probably the same engine they've had going back to Bayonetta 1. They have yet to release a Bayonetta game at launch with a locked 60fps frame rate. When they've re-relaase the games, they've improved performance but never on the initial release.

The 360 release was pretty damn close to locked 60fps. 

It's probably a bit of their coding but it's also clearly the Switch itself. They have a ton of information cashed in memory, the weapon sets, the massive summon and enemy models. 

They've improved their engineering a lot considering the Switch isn't really any more powerful then a 360 and their squeezing twice, three times as much bullshit onto the screen as they did in 08. 60fps is always a target but you cant always reach it while pushing your product forward. It sucks but it happens. Give it a year and the PS5 won't be getting locked 60fps games anymore either for much the same reason. 

Edited by RSG3

I don't doubt the Switch has something to do with it. The memory bandwidth has always been an issue. and it's on an underclocked 7 years old mobile SoC. Platinum, for all their strengths, aren't the best at optimizing. Nier Automata had all kinds of issues on PS4 and X1 out the gate. It's part of the reason I found Virtuos' port on Switch to be so impressive.

Nintendo announced their Black Friday deals this morning: 

Nintendo Switch w/ Neon Red/Blue Controllers, MK8D voucher and 3 month of NSO for $299 

The following games will be $40 during Black Friday 

Mario Party Superstars

Breath of the Wild 

Animal Crossing New Horizons

Links Awakening 

Fire Emblem 3 Hopes

Bravely Default II (Random af)

The following games will also be on sale for 33% off (not doing maths) 

Wario Ware Bring it Together

Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain

And Mario Kart Live will be on sale for $59.99

Lastly and as usual the huge eShop sale 

9 hours ago, iStu X said:

Nintendo announced their Black Friday deals this morning: 

Nintendo Switch w/ Neon Red/Blue Controllers, MK8D voucher and 3 month of NSO for $299 

The following games will be $40 during Black Friday 

Mario Party Superstars

Breath of the Wild 

Animal Crossing New Horizons

Links Awakening 

Fire Emblem 3 Hopes

Bravely Default II (Random af)

The following games will also be on sale for 33% off (not doing maths) 

Wario Ware Bring it Together

Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain

And Mario Kart Live will be on sale for $59.99

Lastly and as usual the huge eShop sale 

Fire Emblem 3 Hopes getting a $20 sale is pretty nice considering that game came out this year.  I wanna complain that they're still doing an MK8 bundle and it's not even an OLED model but MK8D is printing stupid money....so it'd be dumb of them from a business perspective to not do it.  They could at least offer this bundle and something else though lol.

Just now, Sonichuman said:

Fire Emblem 3 Hopes getting a $20 sale is pretty nice considering that game came out this year.  I wanna complain that they're still doing an MK8 bundle and it's not even an OLED model but MK8D is printing stupid money....so it'd be dumb of them from a business perspective to not do it.  They could at least offer this bundle and something else though lol.

I figured they’d do a vanilla switch bundle and an oled bundle. Either way I think we both knew that MK8DX wasn’t going annywhere. Especially with wave 3 of the booster pass due any month now.

And yeah, I’m surprised by FE3H being on sale so soon too. My guess is that its sales numbers aren’t too hot so they wanna push it before fiscal ends.