Stage Select

The Nintendo Switch Thread

4 hours ago, Lantis said:

Maybe he should replay the intro level of Super Metroid (the space lab). That should be more his speed. 😂

Maybe they should introduce a "Jaffe Mode" it would be the Metroid version of the hand holding mode they put in one of the New Super Mario Bros games. Hell I can be petty. If I was a game developer. I'd rename easy mode in all my games to Jaffe Mode.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
42 minutes ago, iStu X said:

@RSG3arr any of the 3DS and/or Switch SMT titles dlc worth it? Or what are they even? I’m heading to bed right now so I don’t really wanna look them up. Lol

I actually don't know I haven't purchased any of it except for SMTV.

SMTVs DLC is 3 or 4 extra fights that can be summoned upon defeat for 5 bucks a pop. You can also spend like 2 bucks to be able to toggle the Mitama's spawn rate, SMTs Metal Slime variant. For free is a super easy mode and languages.  

SMTV is the first time I bought Atlus DLC. I bought the fights but not the Mitama thing.  Using that as my baseline I would say I enjoyed the DLC fights and the Demons I got from them. Artemis I boosted into a late game monster and Cleopatra was a cool fight and fantastic healer. I haven't done the Mephistopheles (I think that's him) fight yet so i haven't  used him yet. I liked them but would say they really weren't worth the money honestly. 5 bucks for 1 fight and 1 summon is pretty steep. I just had the money to burn after buying it so I scooped. 

I don't know if that tracks to their other 3DS stuff but it does line up with their Persona DLC which is all expensive as fuck costumes and extra Persona so I would bet the DS SMT games are probably the same. Stuff you want cuz it's cool and quality but over priced regardless. 

Edited by RSG3
7 hours ago, RSG3 said:

I actually don't know I haven't purchased any of it except for SMTV.

SMTVs DLC is 3 or 4 extra fights that can be summoned upon defeat for 5 bucks a pop. You can also spend like 2 bucks to be able to toggle the Mitama's spawn rate, SMTs Metal Slime variant. For free is a super easy mode and languages.  

SMTV is the first time I bought Atlus DLC. I bought the fights but not the Mitama thing.  Using that as my baseline I would say I enjoyed the DLC fights and the Demons I got from them. Artemis I boosted into a late game monster and Cleopatra was a cool fight and fantastic healer. I haven't done the Mephistopheles (I think that's him) fight yet so i haven't  used him yet. I liked them but would say they really weren't worth the money honestly. 5 bucks for 1 fight and 1 summon is pretty steep. I just had the money to burn after buying it so I scooped. 

I don't know if that tracks to their other 3DS stuff but it does line up with their Persona DLC which is all expensive as fuck costumes and extra Persona so I would bet the DS SMT games are probably the same. Stuff you want cuz it's cool and quality but over priced regardless. 

Yeah it lines up. I can't speak for all the games but usually on the games that have DLC, there are stages that make it easier to grind for money or experience, some special demons, harder post game style fights and sometimes extra story.

I'm flipping through the eshop looking at some of these deals before they end (alot of them end in 2 hours) and I feel like I missed out on some of the announcements.  Eshop is really trying to make me go broke on stuff that I hadn't planned on buying.  That Megaman ZX collection for 19.79 is super tempting. 

Edit:  Also Mario+Rabbids with the DLC is 15.99...might be a good idea for those interested in the sequel to jump on that now.  Deal is up for another 4 days.

Edited by Sonichuman

Took a bit too long to grab FFXII and FFX-X-2 on sale for half off so kinda disappointed with that but I ended up buying MMX collection 1, Hades since I've heard nothing but amazing things about it from people here and elsewhere, Transistor even though I have it for free on my PS4...it was like 3 bucks and something so whatever, and finally dropped money on River City Girls since that was on sale, aaaand went ahead and bought that Megaman Zero/ZX collection.  Dunno when I'll get to play some of these but I got em for when I'm ready.

I've been using the OLED for like a week now and this is pretty nice. I wasn't really expecting to like it as much as I do. Bigger screen, better looking screen, kick stand is way better, Wifi connectivity is better too.

Really the only concern I have is I know OLED tv had an issue with burn in years ago. So it'd be interesting on how these OLED Switches will age (unless they've fixed those issues).

5 minutes ago, globe said:

I've been using the OLED for like a week now and this is pretty nice. I wasn't really expecting to like it as much as I do. Bigger screen, better looking screen, kick stand is way better, Wifi connectivity is better too.

Really the only concern I have is I know OLED tv had an issue with burn in years ago. So it'd be interesting on how these OLED Switches will age (unless they've fixed those issues).

They have not fixed the burn in issues with the OLED so I'd recommend making sure your auto shutdown/auto sleep options are set pretty early.

2 hours ago, globe said:

OLED technology has gotten a lot better with the burn in issue.  Here's a video of a stress test on the OLED Switch:

I don't think you need to be overly concerned about it. Just make sure to put it in sleep mode when you're not playing it.

29 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

OLED technology has gotten a lot better with the burn in issue.  Here's a video of a stress test on the OLED Switch:

I don't think you need to be overly concerned about it. Just make sure to put it in sleep mode when you're not playing it.

Looks like the OLED is holding up better than expected so I'll take the L on this.  Hadn't heard that OLEDs had gotten any better so this is actully good to hear.

2 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

My brother was home for the holiday, so we've been on a Streets of Rage 4 kick. Probably one of my favorite Switch titles. I haven't done much online play to see how well it works. With the DLC (highly recommended), my two favorite characters are Shiva and Estel. 

How much dlc is there and is it pricey? I bought the game but I haven't cracked it open yet

11 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Looks like the OLED is holding up better than expected so I'll take the L on this.  Hadn't heard that OLEDs had gotten any better so this is actully good to hear.

No need to hold an L, as they haven't fixed the issue completely. There is still a risk of burn in with OLED. It's just gotten a lot better over the last few years. I've done a bunch of research on it before buying my OLED TV and the consensus is that "normal" use shouldn't be an issue, as long as you aren't watching the same cable news network 24/7 so the logo is permanently displayed. Varying your content apparently goes a long way to protecting from burn in.

There's also image retention, which is like temporary burn in that goes away. From what I've read it seems like that will happen before any permanent damage is done so if you see it start happening it might be time to change the brightness or play a different game for a while. But it seems even the temperary retention only happens in extreme use cases.

To me, the positives of having such a beautiful display with perfect contrast, whether it be on an OLED TV or the OLED switch, outweigh the relatively small risk of burn in. There's a reason why the LG C1 is widely considered the best gaming TV of last year.

2 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

I think it was only $7 when I bought it around Christmas. You get three additional characters (Estel, Shiva (SOR4) and Max (SOR4). Regarding modes you get a fleshed out Training mode and a survival mode. Again solid add-on. 

Good deal, as soon as I finish up Jamestown, I'll probably get started on that one. Would probably be a good game for my bro and I to play online

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

Good deal, as soon as I finish up Jamestown, I'll probably get started on that one. Would probably be a good game for my bro and I to play online

It's a great game for you and your bro. I was playing with mine till about 4 AM over the holiday and no regrets. Note he only comes out from Vegas 1 - 2 times a year, so we had to make due 🤣.

Edited by OPTIMUS124
6 hours ago, iStu X said:

I’m betting we get a Kirby Game and Watch announced soon 

I hope not, I know their place in Nintendo history I am not a fan of G&W form factor and it is starting to feel like a cheap way of claiming they are celebrating something. Give me another collection of the games please.

15 minutes ago, Wellman said:

I hope not, I know their place in Nintendo history I am not a fan of G&W form factor and it is starting to feel like a cheap way of claiming they are celebrating something. Give me another collection of the games please.

I mean…also yes. 

Ugh. Shorted out my 3DS. I ended up losing all of my save data on my downloaded games including Radiant Historia. I loved that game and was a solid 40-50 hours into it. It’s so good, I bought a physical copy so when my new 3DS gets here, if something happens to it, the save data is on the cartridge. First time I can recall where I’m willing to replay a game after losing dozens of hours of progress. 

18 minutes ago, Wellman said:

I mean the graphics outside of cutscenes do look a little low quality but for just the srpg aspects of maps, customization of characters and such I can't see where else that could be.

Nah, the graphics don't bother me. It's just a bunch of little things that add up.

Hard is piss easy. A bunch of auxiliary battles are harder than most main story maps. You're constantly outleveling and rolling through mooks with better stats *and* skills.

Maddening on the other hand vaults straight into bs.

A bunch of units are mixed. When do you have access to legit mixed units instead of mages with swords nuking your Str growth? Lv. 20 *with* DLC.

Classes are a mess, a bunch of random gender locks and the master requirements are just stupid, shoutouts to Mortal Savant.

The plot is turbo stupid too. CF was the biggest pumpfake I've seen in a minute.

There's some other nonsense like maps being lame af in general and the monastery exploration loop getting repetitive and tiresome very fast, especially with 4 routes of the same thing.

Whole game boils down to a bunch of weak execution mistakes bogging down an otherwise *really* good game.

On 1/15/2022 at 12:11 PM, Volt said:

Nah, the graphics don't bother me. It's just a bunch of little things that add up.

Hard is piss easy. A bunch of auxiliary battles are harder than most main story maps. You're constantly outleveling and rolling through mooks with better stats *and* skills.

Maddening on the other hand vaults straight into bs.

A bunch of units are mixed. When do you have access to legit mixed units instead of mages with swords nuking your Str growth? Lv. 20 *with* DLC.

Classes are a mess, a bunch of random gender locks and the master requirements are just stupid, shoutouts to Mortal Savant.

The plot is turbo stupid too. CF was the biggest pumpfake I've seen in a minute.

There's some other nonsense like maps being lame af in general and the monastery exploration loop getting repetitive and tiresome very fast, especially with 4 routes of the same thing.

Whole game boils down to a bunch of weak execution mistakes bogging down an otherwise *really* good game.

Hmm, I can see how that could rub someone the wrong way. The gender locked classes, monastery issues and difficulty spikes are common complaints.

1 hour ago, Wellman said:

Hmm, I can see how that could rub someone the wrong way. The gender locked classes, monastery issues and difficulty spikes are common complaints.

I honestly wouldn't mind if Hard was well, hard. 🤣

Game is fun tho. Running through Golden Deer's route rn. 

27 minutes ago, Wellman said:

Tetris 99 is a weird sort of hit it seems, they have "supported" it with new "events" longer then anything outside of Smash Bros. and their mobile stuff.

Nintendos thing this generation has been much more dlc and event focus because they never have been in the past. It’s why games like Arms, XBC2 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 got a year+ of support whether it was patches that added free stuff, quality of life updates (not including patches) and DLC. 

32 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

That gif really does sum up my reaction.

The extremely slow drip of content is pretty much the only reason I haven’t got it. I was going to talk to my friend and her husband to see if they wanted to go in on a family plan with me since both of them and the same friends brother all have a switch. But like….who fucking cares. 😂

19 hours ago, Wellman said:

Tetris 99 is a weird sort of hit it seems, they have "supported" it with new "events" longer then anything outside of Smash Bros. and their mobile stuff.

It's free, it's fun, it's Tetris. The "events" are basically ads for whatever game Nintendo has coming out more than anything, BUT WITH THAT SAID, the themes are cool, you can bet I'm there for every damn one, and it chaps my ass that I'm missing one theme from a previous event 😤

I booted up Pac-Man 99 a couple nights ago and while there are people still playing, there were at least 10 bots in every match. There are ALWAYS people playing Tetris 99.

Edited by DoctaMario

Yeah I know Nintendo has been more DLC and continued support after the initial release competent this last generation and a half, but I just have suddenly realized Tetris 99 has had longer support then any Nintendo game that isn't on mobile or Super Smash Bros Ultimate. Granted each theme background is just art assets so that isn't hard but someone keeps coming up with the remixed tracks so that is impressive they keep feeding it's audience content however small. I am not complaining just noticed this is the most they have done compared to even Splatoon.