Stage Select

The Nintendo Switch Thread

So I caved and pre-ordered Fire Emblem: Three Hopes. I've played about 30 hours of Three Houses, love it, but still haven't beaten it yet. The Nintendo-themed take on Warriors games have been bangers for me. Still waiting for a Super Mario Warriors game. Or a Kirby  Warriors game. Anyhoo, I just may download that demo.

So has Donkey Kong dancing in Mario Strikers: Battle League been made into a GIF yet?

7 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

So anyone else play the Three Hopes demo? There is a lot to unpack in this game from a narrative standpoint.

I played it a bit I haven’t finished it and i have never played three houses. So I don’t know if there’s a lot to unpack or not

36 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Well the game is clearly an alternate reality tale and the story is drastically different.

Since I’ve never played 3H I have no idea how “clearly” it being an alternate reality is. But sure. 

also, NSO Shadow drops 3 SP versions of Kirby games 

I've done all three routes of the Three Hopes demo. Golden Deer's setup doesn't seem as interesting to me as the other two as of right now.  I may actually go Blue Lions first. Not sure though, Black Eagles is interesting as well, it'll be weird playing the Black Eagles now though. Ferdinand Von Aegir's VA just passed away. Dude was only 35 too 😔

7 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I've done all three routes of the Three Hopes demo. Golden Deer's setup doesn't seem as interesting to me as the other two as of right now.  I may actually go Blue Lions first. Not sure though, Black Eagles is interesting as well, it'll be weird playing the Black Eagles now though. Ferdinand Von Aegir's VA just passed away. Dude was only 35 too 😔

That is a damn shame. He also played Josuke in the Jojo Bizarre Adventure dub of the Diamond is Unbreakable season.

16 hours ago, Wellman said:

That sounds like another missed opportunity by Nintendo probably due to the hardware

Other Switch games are known to get 4 players on a single Console, 8 if your pair to Switch Units together. 

Looks like the More than 2 players are for online and not local

On 6/12/2022 at 11:02 AM, DarkSakul said:

Other Switch games are known to get 4 players on a single Console, 8 if your pair to Switch Units together. 

Looks like the More than 2 players are for online and not local

You can play 8 players on a single console locally.

Edited by purbeast
On 6/11/2022 at 7:10 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

Honestly, in the case of Three Hopes, it's been interesting. The game takes place at the same time as Three Houses. A key event is different and it leads to a snowball effect that has honestly gotten me intrigued. 

Sounds a little like Age of Calamity tbh... Hopefully not executed as poorly. (Or marketed as a prequel when it 100% isn't.)

I haven't watched any trailers for it tho, gonna try to approach that one with an open mind. Sounds like a typical non-canon Warriors game, except this one isn't a crossover. I've seen a clip showing Lysithea running as a General, so I take classes are kinda open like Three Houses.

1 hour ago, Volt said:

Sounds a little like Age of Calamity tbh... Hopefully not executed as poorly. (Or marketed as a prequel when it 100% isn't.)

I haven't watched any trailers for it tho, gonna try to approach that one with an open mind. Sounds like a typical non-canon Warriors game, except this one isn't a crossover. I've seen a clip showing Lysithea running as a General, so I take classes are kinda open like Three Houses.

Based on the demo, Thee Hopes is basically Three Houses with a different battle system. Outside of battles it seems like a pure Fire Emblem game. Battle system aside, it has some upgrades over Three Houses. The graphics are better. Not a huge jump but noticeable. The character models seem of the the same quality but their a couple improvements. The eyes aren't static in conversations. The pupils shift slightly like real eyes, so the characters don't have the "doll effect" when talking. The backgrounds during conversations were 2D images in Three Houses. They are fully 3D now. Not sure on this one, but I don't remember the hair animating in Three Houses. I'd have to boot it up to be sure which brings me to the biggest improvement. The load times in Three Hopes are substantially better than Three Houses. You could legit, no hyperbole, go to the kitchen, make a sandwich, sit back down, pick up the controller it still have to wait few more seconds. In Three Hopes, the loads times are a few seconds.

As far as Warriors titles goes, Three Hopes performs so much better than Age of Calamity. I never finished the game, it became a damned slide show at times. I'm talking Goldeneye on N64 framerates. While it's not 60fps, I never felt the game dip below 30fps. My only nitpick is that I'd rather they just lock it at 30fps. I do appreciate the framerate not completely tanking when things get hectic like in Age of Calamity though.

I'll be vague. Even though Three Houses is three years old, I don't want to spoil the narrative. Just in the demo alone, their are six characters mentioned in Three Houses but are never seen present. So if you have played Three Houses, it's something cool to see. Also, I don't think Three Houses is required to enjoy the game. The story diverges from Three Houses early on. That said, you'll get much more of it if you have played Three Houses. Even though the story diverges, some questions Three Houses left open our answered. A couple of spoilers for those that don't mind. Tagged of course.

Blue Lions 

Spoiler

Rufus, Dimitri's uncle, did have his brother King Lambert. You actually fight him in he demo. While you figure this out in Three Houses, Cornelia was replaced by an Agarthan. Her real name is revealed as Cleobulus.

Black Eagles

Spoiler

While you find out Monica was replaced by Kronya in Three Houses. In Three Hopes, you rescue, and it gives a huge clue as to why she was taken. Monica has a Crest of Macuil It's the only Crest that wasn't present on playabe character Three Houses. 

Side Note: The protagonist of Three Hopes isn't a silent one. Byleth was in Three Houses and that was big detriment to the character. Shez speaks as much as the rest of the cast. Ironically, Byleth talks more in Three Hopes than in Three Houses.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
  • iStu X changed the title to The Nintendo Switch Thread v. Monado Bois! - Fire Emblem Three Hopes 6/24 - Xenoblade Chronicles 3 7/29

Honestly some of these info tweets could have been saved for their own mini directs for just the games. I am actually surprised they have not done one for Splatoon, while I am a bigger Xenoblade Chronicles fan, I know it isn't a major money maker and they don't seem to put too many info dumps on upcoming titles in their directs unless they are big time. Splatoon however has proven a global powerhouse so I doubt too many would be against it eating 3-5 minutes of a presentation.

3 minutes ago, Wellman said:

Honestly some of these info tweets could have been saved for their own mini directs for just the games. I am actually surprised they have not done one for Splatoon, while I am a bigger Xenoblade Chronicles fan, I know it isn't a major money maker and they don't seem to put too many info dumps on upcoming titles in their directs unless they are big time. Splatoon however has proven a global powerhouse so I doubt too many would be against it eating 3-5 minutes of a presentation.

My main issue with XBC is that it always feels like you’re in the prologue part of the game but once you feel you should be at the end of the game it just keeps dragging on and doesn’t know when to end. 

With Splatoon the game is just an aesthetically pleasing wonderland. The game from graphics, to characters, to dialogue to the music  just ooze style, charm, personality and just that “it” factor. 

The variety of online modes, how active they are and how great the net code is for all those modes is just icing on the cake. 

Edited by iStu X
10 hours ago, Wellman said:

I'm not sure if XC has gotten high enough status to get a direct yet but I wouldn't be surprised of Splatoon got a direct.  Checking on youtube, Splatoon 1 and Splatoon 2 have both had at least 1 dedicated direct each to them.  Looks like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 did get 1 dedicated direct that was about 16-17 minutes which is not as long as either of Splatoon's directs but hey that's a good sign.  So if rumors are true we'll get our Summer/Not E3 direct on 29th and then maybe we'll have some chance of their being a XC3 direct before July 29th.

1 hour ago, Wellman said:

The hair on Splatoon characters is one of the creepiest things in a Nintendo game outside of the Fatal Frame titles they published.

Fuzzy/frizzy tentacles are def weird.  I think they were going for 60's sci fi big hair vibe and the fact that its done in tentacles is probably just thowing.

20 minutes ago, Wellman said:

Huh... Cool since we just talking about it. 

Indeed. I’m doubting it but I’m hoping for amiibo support.

also, this more or less confirms what Jeff Grubb and severa others have said regarding Nintendo’s big summer plans of doing small-medium length game focused directs throughout summer and then one major direct towards the end. 

Grubb said to still expect a direct on the 29th but he said it could be a normal direct or a direct dedicated to splatoon 3

16 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Man...there are some people THAT upset that there's an Xenoblade Chronicles 3 direct and they're acting like either Nintendo will never do another general direct despite the rumors or that no other franchise has ever had it's own direct before.  I really don't understand it.

People are dumb. Smash Ultimate had an almost hour direct shortly after it was announced lol

Edited by iStu X