Stage Select

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Just now, YourFavGrandpa said:

Put a ticket in with Nippon Yasan to cancel that 5k yen eShop card earlier. Waiting to hear back about that, but I already have Esparade PSI and the Darius collection ordered from Amazon Japan. Scheduled delivery date is Feb 3rd to the 5th for those.

Espraid is great!

Which Darius Collection? Arcade or Console? 

Update on my dad's Breath of the Wild progress. He wanted to find Hetsu because had a ton of Korok seeds so I told him where to go. Figured I'd let him find out the Master Sword was there on his own. But he doesn't have enough hearts to yank that sucker out. He's been getting those stamina upgrades. 

Meanwhile in Age of Calamity, ZELDA's POWER HAS AWOKEN!!!

Girl just went to one of my least used characters to one of my mains! Ooooo I want this Zelda for Smash!

Just beat Pokémon Shield. With taking my time it didn’t even take 40 hours. Which is honestly kind of disappointing but also fine? My gameplay section of my Switch profile says over 60 but I left on overnight sometime while my sister was visiting 

Pro’s

+ Some of the best designed gym leaders regardless of generation. I really love Melony, Allister, Nessa, Piers and Marnie. 

+ Speaking of Piers, out of all the Gym Leaders as well as Leon the Champion everyone seems to respect Piers the most as a person and as a trainer. Which is great because outside of Iceu Waifu he’s my favorite gym leader. (Marnie is hands down my favorite Pokémon character ever but she doesn’t become a gym leader until post game) 

+ A lot of cool typings for Pokémon

(Dragapult being Dragon/Ghost,  the main antagonist Pokémon, Eternetus being Dragon/Poison and Toxtricity being electric poison stick out)

+ Some really cool designs for Pokémon (Toxtricity and Appltun are probably my favorite designs from this gen) 

+ While fairly linear it’s no where near as bad as Sun/Moon were. Sun/Moon are still the only core Pokémon titles I’ve never beat due to how bad the hand holding and linearity is. 

+ The gym leaders are heavily involved in the story and post-game story. Which I always appreciate. Making pillars of the generation integral to the story just seems an obvious thing but Pokémon didn’t start doing it until around Gen 4. 

Cons

- Lack of trainers on routes and wild areas 

- How capture rates have gone up across the board. I was able to catch once incredibly hard to capture Pokémon while they are at full health with default Pokéballs. Which to me takes all the tension out of catching Pokémon. 

- The region is incredibly small. They try to hide this fact with the wild areas but it’s not done very well. I miss the long and intricate routes of Gen 4 and 5. Especially since many of them rewarded you greatly for going off the beaten path 

-Day/Night Cycle being locked behind beating the game and post game chapter. 

- They try to emphasize the regions lore but due so very poorly. As much as I hate Sun/Moon their generation is arguably the best case of  Pokémon regional lore done correctly. 

-EXP Share being a built-in mechanic. This makes the difficulty of Pokémon next to nil since you can basically tank the game with your starter and the others will be roughly the same level. I don’t like this at all. Takes the fun out of training and figuring out team synergy. At least in Su/Mo despite it being a built in mechanic you were able to turn it off. 

- PokeCamp is inferior to Pokeamine from X/Y in every single way. 

Neutral

= While the post game was fun cause I got to interact with the gym leaders it also  seems wholly unnecessary outside of Hop’s plot thread getting closure. He finally realizes he’s been chasing other people’s dreams and trying to make them his own. 

= While I didn’t explore its uses much making curry seemed pointless and tacked on. 

= I’m on the side who misses IV and EV grinding out Pokémon, but I also appreciate how easy they’ve made it from Gen 6 on. You can make perfect Pokémon in under an hour or so usually. I’m personally retired from the competitive battling but I’ll easy shout “get off my lawn” as well as “I wish we had it this easy back in the day”. 

= I find bitching about the graphics to be kinda dumb but there are some glaringly bad graphics issues. Some towns look amazing and some look they’re ripped from the DS Era but upped to 1080p.

The berry trees are pixelated as fuuuuuuck. Also, the scope around your character is very small so things like people, trees or Pokémon will spawn right in front of you when they weren’t there a split second ago.

It’s not a “let’s boycott this game” issue but it is a very big glaring issue. 

Ending statement: 
im sure there’s more but I either can’t think of it right now or don’t care enough to mention. I have the Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra DLC but I doubt I’ll complete them. I just wanted to play for the core game experience. I was getting that Pokémon gaming itch and now it’s satisfied. So I can move onto something better. 

overall 6.9/10. I don’t regret playing it, I enjoyed it for what it was and wasn’t but I also don’t see myself playing it again. 

Edited by iStu X

OK so it is painfully obvious by now that Age of Calamity

Spoiler

Takes place in an alternate timeline. As much as I wanted to play through a version of the Calamity that showed just how wrecked Hyrule got, I'm cool with this. Nintendo does love their alternate timelines. And the Zelda timeline is bonkers so...

Daisy Duck Reaction GIF

Of course I'm sure some fans are made AF that this is an alternate timeline. It isn't like we weren't given more than a few clues. When Link is getting promoted, he already has the Master Sword in BOTW. In AOC, he pulled that blade because he had to protect Zelda. Zelda's relationship with Link is also different from the outset. 

Oh and I knew King Rhoam was still kicking. He's the best heavy. Don't even tryda change my mind. 

6 hours ago, RegH81 said:

OK so it is painfully obvious by now that Age of Calamity

Reveal hidden contents

Takes place in an alternate timeline. As much as I wanted to play through a version of the Calamity that showed just how wrecked Hyrule got, I'm cool with this. Nintendo does love their alternate timelines. And the Zelda timeline is bonkers so...

Daisy Duck Reaction GIF

Of course I'm sure some fans are made AF that this is an alternate timeline. It isn't like we weren't given more than a few clues. When Link is getting promoted, he already has the Master Sword in BOTW. In AOC, he pulled that blade because he had to protect Zelda. Zelda's relationship with Link is also different from the outset. 

Oh and I knew King Rhoam was still kicking. He's the best heavy. Don't even tryda change my mind. 

I’d argue Rhoam is one of the best characters in the game thanks to his Stance Switch. It’s so fucking good. 

I almost had a god damn heart attack. I was trying to turn on my Switch and it would t for about 15 minute.

• tried  with my pro controller and it wasn’t turning on.
  • Tried it with my back up pro controller. Wasn’t turning on.
  • undocked it to try to turn it back on manually since I had been at a friends a few nights before. Didn’t work.
  • Unplugged the power supply from the dock and tried to see if it was my dock. Still didnt turn on 
  • Took my switch off the charger so I could reset my power strip, tried to power it on again in the dock. it didn’t work. 
  • Unhooked the power supply from the dock and plugged it into the switch. Didn’t work.
  • tried plugging the power supply into my other power strip to see if it would turn on. Didn’t work, 
  • Unplugged the power supply from my power strip and plugged it into the wall. Still didn’t work.
  • in between all these I also tried the emergency hard reset (hold power for 12 seconds, release, hold power button again after a few seconds) and it still wasn’t turning on. 

was straight up about to have a mental breakdown over my Switch not working anymore. I set it on my nightstand about to  go through the 5 stages of acceptance when I thought “okay, imma try one last time, if it doesn’t work looks like I’m buying a switch next month”. So I held the power button like normal and it turned on. 

HUGE GOD DAMN SIGH OF RELIEF. 

After a few minutes of messing with it to see if I had lost anything or if it was having trouble keeping a charge or if I needed a new power supply I reluctantly turned it off to see if it could turn back on. So I turned it off, waited about a full minute and turned it back on. Turned on and acted like everything was totally fine and like nothing happened. 

I was going to play Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 tonight but I think I’ll just go back to listening to tunes while reading. I’ve had enough excitement for tonight 

Edited by iStu X

Just beat Marvel Ultimate Alliance. The story is whatever. Very paint by the numbers marvel story. It was fine though. I enjoyed it. 

I’m about to do the Shadows of Doom DLC Epilogue but it’s almost 1:30am and I kinda wanna go to bed. Or at least start winding down for bed. 

I’ll have a more in-depth post about how I feel about the game when I wake up. But I will say this: They made Ms. Marvel (Kamala) one of if not the best melee character in the game and I love them for it. Also, Koei Tecmo definitely want you to grind the shit out of this game. It honesty may as well be a Marvel Musou. 

Edited by iStu X

well, I *was* thinking about picking up that Bioshock collection I keep seeing in stores....BUT I remember some shenanigans about certain physical games still requiring a download, and sure enough, that was one of them..

https://gonintendo.com/stories/357908-2k-clarifies-what-is-isn-t-on-the-game-cards-for-bioshock-infinit 

"The physical game contains an 16GB cartridge including the opening acts of BioShock Remastered, BioShock 2 Remastered, and BioShock Infinite: The Complete Edition. Later game contents and add-ons will need to be downloaded.

The XCOM 2 Collection physical game contains an 8GB cartridge that features two base game missions. A download is required for the rest of the Total download size will not exceed 24GB.

The physical game contains an 8GB cartridge that features Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition, with a 6.6GB download required. For Borderlands 2 and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel a 35GB download is required"

soooo it's a no for me, dawg.  There is no point to a physical edition of a game if you're still just getting a small piece of it, and have to download the majority of it later.  

note--this is also why with the Borderlands Handsome Collection I got earlier, I just went with digital (took centuries to download all that)...because of this shit + I read some people complaining that they had problems even getting the rest of their collection to download, like some games were "missing" for some reason from the Legendary collection(?!)  Hell nah to that nonsense. 

The original Bioshock is one of the greatest things ever produced, though... absolute legend right there.  The atmosphere was nothing short of incredible, especially compared to everything else that was out at the time....it was on another level compared to everything else, imo.... a true masterpiece.  This is yet another classic that my old college buddy missed out on for some strange reason...and that dude was an art major which makes it that much more bizarre to me....he just never got around to it.  Besides the amazing atmosphere, the beautiful soundtrack and setting, there was *that* reveal near the end that drops one hell of a bomb on the player and his/her understanding of what's going on there.  I can't get enough of anything that does that.  If I was creating any tv show, movie or game, I'd always aspire to hit my audience like that.... that "holy shit..." bomb twist that leaves people remembering and talking about that shit for years to come.

Edited by MillionX
3 hours ago, MillionX said:

well, I *was* thinking about picking up that Bioshock collection I keep seeing in stores....BUT I remember some shenanigans about certain physical games still requiring a download, and sure enough, that was one of them..

https://gonintendo.com/stories/357908-2k-clarifies-what-is-isn-t-on-the-game-cards-for-bioshock-infinit 

"The physical game contains an 16GB cartridge including the opening acts of BioShock Remastered, BioShock 2 Remastered, and BioShock Infinite: The Complete Edition. Later game contents and add-ons will need to be downloaded.

The XCOM 2 Collection physical game contains an 8GB cartridge that features two base game missions. A download is required for the rest of the Total download size will not exceed 24GB.

The physical game contains an 8GB cartridge that features Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition, with a 6.6GB download required. For Borderlands 2 and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel a 35GB download is required"

soooo it's a no for me, dawg.  There is no point to a physical edition of a game if you're still just getting a small piece of it, and have to download the majority of it later.  

note--this is also why with the Borderlands Handsome Collection I got earlier, I just went with digital (took centuries to download all that)...because of this shit + I read some people complaining that they had problems even getting the rest of their collection to download, like some games were "missing" for some reason from the Legendary collection(?!)  Hell nah to that nonsense. 

The original Bioshock is one of the greatest things ever produced, though... absolute legend right there.  The atmosphere was nothing short of incredible, especially compared to everything else that was out at the time....it was on another level compared to everything else, imo.... a true masterpiece.  This is yet another classic that my old college buddy missed out on for some strange reason...and that dude was an art major which makes it that much more bizarre to me....he just never got around to it.  Besides the amazing atmosphere, the beautiful soundtrack and setting, there was *that* reveal near the end that drops one hell of a bomb on the player and his/her understanding of what's going on there.  I can't get enough of anything that does that.  If I was creating any tv show, movie or game, I'd always aspire to hit my audience like that.... that "holy shit..." bomb twist that leaves people remembering and talking about that shit for years to come.

There's a reason why I've seen both the Bioshock and Borderlands collections renamed to You Need A New MicroSD Card collections by Wario64. You just described them, certain part of the games on the cart, then you have to download the rest.

So I’m playing the DLC packs of Marvel Ultimate Alliance and outside of the Fantastic Four pack I’m kinda disappointed. 

The FF pack serves as an epilogue for the actual main story. With the Marvel Knights and X-Men pack all you do is play in Gauntlet mode to unlock characters. 

I wish they had put the same love and care into each pack and not just the FF pack. I guess the balance is when you play the FF pack you're immediately given the FF but you unlock Doom at the end of the epilogue. 

still. I wish there had been some actual story elements to the other packs. 

my team right now is Star Lord/Storm/Crystal/Ms. Marvel. All about to hit level 60 (I doubt I’ll 100% this game.)  my only goal right now is to unlock every character but Thanos with the infinity gauntlet. I’m not power leveling to Lv. 300. That’s dumb. Lol

As for why the team I chose: Star Lord, Storm and Crystal are basically my crowd killers because they have tons of really powerful AOE’s that combo off each other for crazy DPS as well ass adds to my extreme attack bar. 

Ms. Marvel is the boss killer though. She has a special where she she just continuously sweeps the leg. It fucking MELTS bosses Stamina and stuns them in seconds. Then I just pop my extreme combo (all 4 party members using their special at once) and destroy the bosses health bar. 

Edit: just beat the Fantastic Four DLC. It was fine. The ending is a set up to unlock Thanos with the gauntlet as the very last boss. But it also ties into the main story line ending where they hint at a sequel involving the multi-verse. 

so we’ll see. I think I’m done with the game though. I beat the game and did the DLC. I have 3 more characters to unlock. Which are Thanos, Thanos Infinite and Loki. All of which I don’t really want to do or care about. 

so I think tomorrow I’m going to move onto another game.

not really a review but last thought on MUA3 

For me MUA3 is probably a very low 7. It’s not bad but there’s nothing really fantastic about it either except the art direction and the voice acting. 

it being made by Koei Tecmo is a double edged sword. The game play is fun and satisfying but all the replay value  is just post game grinding the same missions over and over and over and over for unlockables that don’t matter like art work, voice clips for online and costumes. 

Edited by iStu X
1 hour ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

I know the Switch logo will be an immediate turn off (there’s another switch logo on the right strap as wel) but this is the bag I use when I go to my friends. I’ve had it since launch so I don’t know if it’s rare or anything. 

9C0544B2-CF57-4091-8796-8D38193982AF.thumb.jpeg.d61d6ae628e76808cf5a237e820b13bc.jpeg037D33B5-226D-44B8-B213-CB20E7A0D44C.thumb.jpeg.c355147a565d83840769b3770f94a178.jpeg55560952-0E3D-4BE9-A530-2478863841C4.thumb.jpeg.a089b52d653fec0b8c8c93e41c056183.jpegD45A2A34-72FC-4C95-8F3A-F6B18E8C4594.thumb.jpeg.4d00411ca9686d727406e751b76a923e.jpeg

the fact all the pockets are labeled makes me super happy and was a huge selling point. As was having a front pocket for other things like a laptop, arcade stick, etc. 

worse comes to worse if you find an official Switch bag you like but hate the symbols just get some iron patches to put over them or just unstitch them. 

Edited by iStu X
4 hours ago, iStu X said:

I know the Switch logo will be an immediate turn off (there’s another switch logo on the right strap as wel) but this is the bag I use when I go to my friends. I’ve had it since launch so I don’t know if it’s rare or anything. 

I believe I saw this option out there as well. Removing the logo is an easy "mod". I can't stand the cases that just hold the unit and games. You have so much more to pack. May as well make it a complete solution. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124
  • iStu X changed the title to The Nintendo Switch Thread - The Cats Pajama’s!: Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury 2/12

Looked at the weather forecast for Friday morning, it looks like I will be staying my ass tf inside because it's supposed to be below freezing. So that means no trip to Walmart to pick up Bowser's Fury, so I'll probably order it from Amazon later today, if I don't decide to pick it up when I get paid again in a couple weeks alongside Bravely Default II.

Edit: also had permission from the missus to use our Gamestop store card, so I picked up Persona 5 Strikers with release date delivery.

Edited by YourFavGrandpa
blah

My original joycons feel like they are beyond hope. And my pro controller is giving me issues as well. I am considering getting the Hori split pad pro, anyone know how bad the battery drain is on a OG Switch? As much as I like rumble, the cost of regular ones seems too much as I only use hand held every once in a while. But I would like something with a traditional d pad.

Edited by Wellman
18 minutes ago, RegH81 said:

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury arrives tomorrow. 

My excitement:

excited pumped up GIF by WWE

Bro, same. I’m hanging out with friends next week who are super excited to play it. I kinda wanna blaze through everything so I can unlock Rosalina. But I also wanna enjoy the game with them since it’ll be 4-player chaos. 

Edited by iStu X
9 hours ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

Hopefully the Marnie nendoroid is out before I go to Nintendo NY next year. Also, Nintendo would be fools NOT to sell this in the store in NYC.

Do it, you cowards.

Usually when a new nendoroid is announced it’s usually 6-9 month wait time before it goes live. Sometimes a little longer depending on if it’s a deluxe version or not. Since it seems like they’ve completely skipped showing off it’s prototype mold it’s likely closer than further to   being readily available.

my two guesses of when it will be released are June and November. Both months have other Marnie related merchandise coming out. A Statue and a Figma respectively. And yes, I have both Preordered lol

@Sonichumansorry I didn’t make Kart’ing. I had a really busy yesterday and today. So once I got home I was burnt out and didn’t want to do anything the rest of today. So I just vegged out by listening to tunes and reading all day. I’m still on indefinite Covid leave (#unemployed) so I have virtually endless free time. So anytime you want to throw down in Karts or 3D World just tag me and give me a rough estimate on when and I’ll try to  make it happen 

Edited by iStu X
  • iStu X changed the title to The Nintendo Switch Thread v. Take Your Heart! - Persona 5 Strikers 2/23 - Bravely Default II 2/26

So, I ended up with two copies of Mario 3D World, mainly because Walmart this morning had copies, right on time. Planning on sending my Amazon copy back tomorrow and using the money from that to pick up Bravely Default II, and using the money from the study group I was a part of to buy more shmups. 

Edit: Walked back Walmart preorder of P5S. I'll pick it up in store on release day, same with Bravely Default II.

Edited by YourFavGrandpa
blah
1 hour ago, RegH81 said:

I should be playing Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury. But Amazon is on that bull bull and my copy won't arrive until Saturday. Thanks Amazon.

angry over it GIF by GritTV

I got my copy today but I haven’t even opened the package. I’m going to pick up a copy at Walmart tomorrow and return the copy I for today to Amazon. 

I like saving $15

Edited by iStu X
8 hours ago, RegH81 said:

My copy of Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury was waiting for me after work. Thanks for delivering it Amazon, but eff you for being a day late!

Depending on where you are, Amazon seems to be getting bodied by the winter storms currently.  I had a package that was supposed to be here Fri aaaaand it ain't here yet and considering the amount of crashes I've been hearing about over VA (200+) I can't fault them.