Stage Select

The Nintendo Switch Thread

4 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Apparently Ninja Gaiden Master Collection's Sigma 2 and Razor Edge ports are garbage

I'm about to check out some other reviews to see if this is something said on other reviews but considering that this is coming from a Nintendo based outlet...I have a feeling that I'm going to be hearing the same problems.

Honestly, I regret buying it because I didn't pay close enough attention when I preordered this from PlayAsia. I didn't realize they were putting Sigma versions on there when I made my buy. I don't care for the Sigma versions perfect ports or not. I was so worried about snagging a true physical copy, I jumped the gun.

17 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Apparently Ninja Gaiden Master Collection's Sigma 2 and Razor Edge ports are garbage

I'm about to check out some other reviews to see if this is something said on other reviews but considering that this is coming from a Nintendo based outlet...I have a feeling that I'm going to be hearing the same problems.

Edit:

watched a couple more vids and it does seem that Sigma 2 and Razor's Edge do suffer from slow down  and at times some drastic dynamic resolution changes but each reviewer seems to be different in how severe it is with the video I put earlier being the most severe out of the 3 I've watched.   I'd like it if DF did a video on this but I don't know if this is even on their radar.

It's the Sigma versions so it's a hard pass from me regardless unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, iStu X said:

I ended up not getting Pikmin or Origami King. Pikmin is a series I’ve never been interested in. With Origami King I have a friend who has it. So I’m just going to borrow it from her. 

I hear good things about Oragami King. I might scoop it. Probably gonna go get Mario Odysse tho. I still don't have that one. 

2 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I hear good things about Oragami King. I might scoop it. Probably gonna go get Mario Odysse tho. I still don't have that one. 

I watched bits and pieces of Origami when it first came out. The humor is on point. Which is good as that’s always been one of the best things about the series. The battle system seems fun too albeit easy looking. 

I 100% recommend Odyssey. It’s so good. 

Edited by iStu X
2 minutes ago, iStu X said:

I watched bits and pieces of Origami when it first came out. The humor is on point. Which is good as that’s always been one of the best things about the series. The battle system seems fun too albeit easy looking. 

I 100% recommend Odyssey. It’s so good. 

My brother has Odysee I've played a ton of it, I just don't own it yet. Same for Mario Kart and Links Awakening. I played his copies. I need my own. 

9 hours ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

Damn, I don't own Mario Odyssey. It may finally be time.

edit: bought from Amazon, will be here on Thursday.

You’ll be pleased. It’s an amazing game. I still think other 3D Mario’s are better, like Galaxy 2. That said, the creativity of how to obtain the moons and how deep into stages you have to dig to find them is why its so good. 

I have the companion amiibo so I played the entire game with Mario in a wedding dress. 🤣

Edited by iStu X

I haven't played anything on Switch in a while lately, but recently got back into Age of Calamity.  The action in this game is so delicious.  I just got past a boss fight with some Lynel... this one was much larger than what I remember from Breath of the Wild, actually...and it took a lot to finally bring it down.  I love how many options you have in battle in this game...with the magnet and time-stop powers, ice, your A-button special, etc.... there was one great moment where it charged at me and the other characters, but I did that thing where you summon a block of ice out of nowhere under my feet, lifting me up into the air, and he crashed right into the ice, and was left wide open for more of those juicy combos.  I look forward to unlocking the rest of these characters.  My honey Urbosa was the latest one I got when I last played it.

37 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Anyone else getting Mario Golf this Friday?

I'm hoping it can scratch the Hot Shots Golf itch for the time being.  I'm a bit skeptical about it from he videos and that it may be too easy.  But we'll see on Friday.

I’m going to get it just not this Friday. Gotta wait until I get paid the week after to pick it up. 

if my friend ends up getting it before me I probably won’t get it. We hang out so often I feel there would no reason for me to get it. I’m only interested in the multiplayer modes anyways. 

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Anyone else getting Mario Golf this Friday?

I'll probably get it next weekend at some point if BB has them in stock. I just picked up Returnal too, and I'm still working my way through Ritchet and Clonk so I have stuff to keep me occupied if they sell out of Mario Golf. But I definitely intend on getting it.

On 6/21/2021 at 6:20 PM, YourFavGrandpa said:

Yep. I think my copy will be here on Monday, because I opted to not get release-day shipping.

I am also planning on taking the Switch on our vacation to Florida, along with all my games.

An update on this ... I didn't get release date shipping for Mario Golf as part of my Gamestop Order, but it'll be here tomorrow anyway. 

also picked up the Archives edition of the new Melty Blood game for Switch. Shipping from Play-Asia was actually very reasonable, $25 for Express shipping.

Edited by YourFavGrandpa
boob

The season pass for Age of Calamity is worth it for just for Links new Flail weapon alone.

It’s so god damn good. You’re basically a bad ass spider man and/or Scorpion and it’s weapon ability is you can copy other people’s weapons and use them for a short time. 

Edited by iStu X
9 minutes ago, iStu X said:

The season pass for Age of Calamity is worth it for just for Links new Flail weapon alone.

It’s so god damn good. You’re basically a bad ass spider man and it’s weapon ability is you can copy other people’s weapons and use them for a short time. 

I need to go back to Age of Calamity at some point. I don't remember how far I got into the game originally, but I have a backlog that's literally a mile long now on Switch.

4 minutes ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

I need to go back to Age of Calamity at some point. I don't remember how far I got into the game originally, but I have a backlog that's literally a mile long now on Switch.

bro, same. My BL is huge. But I 100%ed AoC on my first play through. So the DLC gives me some reply value out of it. Which I’m happy with. 

Since I dropped Xenoblade Chronicles 2 I’m going to playing something else when I’m done with AoC’s first wave of DLC content. I just don’t know what. 

Edited by iStu X

While I don't really care about reviews and scores of games, Mario Golf is getting very mediocre reviews.  It's reminding me a lot of Mario Aces, which I thought sucked.  I bought it and sold it within a week. 

I'm still buying it tomorrow but if it sucks like Mario Aces I'll just sell it for like $45 or so and chalk up the $15 rental as an L.

8 minutes ago, purbeast said:

While I don't really care about reviews and scores of games, Mario Golf is getting very mediocre reviews.  It's reminding me a lot of Mario Aces, which I thought sucked.  I bought it and sold it within a week. 

I'm still buying it tomorrow but if it sucks like Mario Aces I'll just sell it for like $45 or so and chalk up the $15 rental as an L.

If you buy it from game stop it’s under their “love it or return it” clause where you can return it, even if opened for full price within a few days (I can’t remember the amount of days) 

edit: 

I didn’t realize it was full price in store credit. Still tho. Better than nothing?

Edited by iStu X

I started playing Breath of the Wild again last week.  I love the enhanced performance on the Switch version. Last night, I didn't plan on playing for super long but before I knew it, the sun was up. So, no exploring tonight. 

Gonna check out that first wave of Age of Calamity DLC. Looks awesome.

Went ahead and bought Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne HD Remaster. I have SMTIV on 3DS but I've never played a game in this series. III intrigued me but it helped that Amazon had it for $10 off.

I'll dig into Mario Golf: Super Rush after work.

• iStu X changed the title to The Nintendo Switch Thread v. Our poor wallets…: Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin 7/9 Demo Available now
  • iStu X changed the title to The Nintendo Switch Thread v. Our poor wallets: Monster Hunter Stories 2 7/9 Demo Available now

Mario Golf has a day one patch here are all the details 

Cup competition

There is now a Yes/No option if you want to choose between the events. The response "Yes" will indicate that an event will happen at regular intervals during the gameplay

Adventure in the Mario world (adventure mode)

Added "lesson" where players can explore learning spinning techniques and overcome teeing amid the wind participation. You could learn more about the learning areas of each town from Hammer Bros.

Adjusted some of the game's effects as you progress.

Added Putter, Approach, and Challenge of "Shot from the tee." The update introduced many additional challenges that you can encounter from Fire Bros. You can find them in each town's practice area.

Swing operation

"Swing" will now appear on the screen when you attempt to swing.

The game balance for swing input is now adjusted.

Local communication / online communication

Changed to display the name of the opponent player.

During the play, you can now see the communication status in the game.

General 

Adjustments in the placements of character information during the gameplay

Adjustments made when the game results appear

Adjustments in the game balance and various problem fixes to improve the overall user experience.

Edited by iStu X

I pop Mario Golf: Super Rush in, expecting to just see a title screen but the game is  like, NAH SON! Finna watch this dope intro we made! How much money went into that sucker? Intro was going IN!!

Any of ya'll playing with the Joy-Cons let me know how the game goes. Eff you Nintendo for this drift.

I played Mario Golf for like 3 holes with my son and then started the adventure mode and did some "trials" which were literally the same straight shot like 5x in a row (totally pointless) an then cut it off to play Ratchet and Clank on challenge mode.

Then when my son went to sleep I popped it back in and did more of the adventure mode and played through the first speed golf round.

The whole speed part where you run around ads absolutely nothing to the game.  All it does is make it artificially longer of a round because you have to walk to the ball.  Maybe it's more "fun" against real people but against the AI it's completely pointless and just makes stuff take longer.

You also waste a bunch of time running around this stupid hub that is like an animal crossing world.  It's completely pointless as well.

From a golf standpoint, the game feels super basic and generic to me.  This is just my day one like hour long impressions, but I don't see this game even coming close to scratching the Hot Shots Golf itch I have.  It's not even in the same realm as HSG, although I hated the latest HSG (Everybody Golf).

Edited by purbeast

Portable gaming greatness once again---I took the car in for an oil change today, so of course I had the Switch with me.  It was somewhat disappointing that it didn't take as long as they estimated.  I did get some time in with Age of Calamity though...some stage where I was piloting one of the "divine beasts" and destroying everything with ease... unfortunately I didn't have Kingdoms of Amalur with me.

Anyone here snag the Ninja Gaiden collection on Switch? I've been hearing mixed things about and I know we'd talked about it a few days back but I wanted to know if anyone had pulled the trigger on it yet and if so, how it was. 

Why does it seem like the Switch always has issues with ports? 

2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Anyone here snag the Ninja Gaiden collection on Switch? I've been hearing mixed things about and I know we'd talked about it a few days back but I wanted to know if anyone had pulled the trigger on it yet and if so, how it was. 

Why does it seem like the Switch always has issues with ports? 

Still waiting on my copy to arrive. PlayAsia shipments take a lot longer post COVID

21 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

PlayAsia shipments take a lot longer post COVID

Global shipping is FUCKED (especially coming from Asia) as there not enough shipping containers coming back from vessels leaving Cali back for China 

And the ports are still backed up by weeks, and cargo ships dropping ancor and waiting in the ocean for their time spot at port. 

49 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

Global shipping is FUCKED (especially coming from Asia) as there not enough shipping containers coming back from vessels leaving Cali back for China 

And the ports are still backed up by weeks, and cargo ships dropping ancor and waiting in the ocean for their time spot at port. 

Digital gang wins again. 🙃

I remembered I still had 3D World on my backlog on a quick road trip yesterday. The Switch really is a great portable man. Game is pretty fun too. Feels kinda wonky with how the camera isn't centered on your character, but besides that, it's just a lot of fun. Movement feels really nice.

• iStu X changed the title to The Nintendo Switch Thread v. Our poor wallets: Monster Hunter Stories 2 out 7/9!

I beat the Age of Calamity DLC. It was…fine? Link’s flail is incredible. It’s probably my favorite weapon in the game. Zelda using the bike is fine. There’s a lot of clever tech in it and the special ability is fun but fuck it’s hard to control sometimes. Especially in narrow areas like halls or extremely small outposts. 

the battled tested guardian is…meh. I was disappointed in it being the dlc character already but I absolutely hate how it plays. I’m not a fan of it at all. To unlock you basically have to unlock everything else in this grid in the EX research lab.

Once you unlock how to get it you get told to go to a certain map that pops up once you leave the facility. Once you go to the level you fight the guardian almost immediately. The fight is actually really fun. Probably my favorite boss battles.  

also the new monsters they’ve added aren’t “new”. They’re the same enemies but have some tag line above their name. Like there’s a Chuchu that’s called a “health professional” or some shit. And a Silver Moblin that says “battle hardened”.  The only real different between them and their vanillas is that they’re “harder” to kill. (They’re not imo) 

Edited by iStu X