Stage Select

The Nintendo Switch Thread

I was going to buy some new joycons lately, but they appear to be sold out in my usual spots (Walmart, Target, Best Buy) at the moment... I may just try spraying...whatever that stuff was someone posted about recently; there's nothing to lose considering how far gone the old left joycon is at this point.  I've been using the pro-controller for about a year at this point but it would still be nice to have that option of some reliable joycons once again.

*Borderlands games were on sale recently; I couldn't resist it.  I think enough time has passed that I can get back into B2 and Pre-Sequel yet again but in portable form this time. (*part 2 was also on the Vita but that system could barely handle it, of course)  I started Pre-Sequel first with Doppelganger Jack.  I really just like Jack and Wilhelm.

...really, the ultimate Borderlands should still be one that has everyone that has ever been a playable character brought back for a huge roster; they could simply market it "Borderlands Ultimate!" or something like that... imagine ALL previous characters from the whole franchise + a few new vault hunters being playable...or maybe just custom characters for the new group working with the old ones.(*haha I don't even care that some characters are supposed to be dead now)  I'd buy that SO fast. 

3 minutes ago, MillionX said:

I was going to buy some new joycons lately, but they appear to be sold out in my usual spots (Walmart, Target, Best Buy) at the moment... I may just try spraying...whatever that stuff was someone posted about recently; there's nothing to lose considering how far gone the old left joycon is at this point.  I've been using the pro-controller for about a year at this point but it would still be nice to have that option of some reliable joycons once again.

*Borderlands games were on sale recently; I couldn't resist it.  I think enough time has passed that I can get back into B2 and Pre-Sequel yet again but in portable form this time. (*part 2 was also on the Vita but that system could barely handle it, of course)  I started Pre-Sequel first with Doppelganger Jack.  I really just like Jack and Wilhelm.

...really, the ultimate Borderlands should still be one that has everyone that has ever been a playable character brought back for a huge roster; they could simply market it "Borderlands Ultimate!" or something like that... imagine ALL previous characters from the whole franchise + a few new vault hunters being playable...or maybe just custom characters for the new group working with the old ones.(*haha I don't even care that some characters are supposed to be dead now)  I'd buy that SO fast. 

You just reminded me that I need to buy a pro-controller. 

Didn't really use my switch that much this year. I mostly played on my PS4/5. Last year I played 197 hours on my Switch with FE Three Houses, Dragon Quest XI, Hollow Knight, Link's Awakening, and Untitled Goose Game being my top five.

Spoiler

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by JGreen
2 hours ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

Latest buys, thanks to the stimulus and the wife's okay.spacer.png

She also picked up a 3 month NSO membership and some general Mandolorian stuff.

walking off ligue 1 GIF by AS Monaco

You done good, mate. 

---------------

The amount of Sepiroth videos popping up on YouTube is crazy. All those #FreeMelee idiots couldn't stay made when Ultimate got THE ANIME SWORDSMAN. 

Posted this over in the VGG thread also, but I bought a 5000 yen Japanese eShop card to pick up Esp.Ra.De Psi off the Japanese eShop. Started to look at buying it physically, and it was getting into the $100 range easily for just for having the base game shipped to me (not the limited edition or anything like that). Luckily the eShop price includes tax, so I'll have about 50 yen left over after getting the game. Just waiting on the code to be delivered from Nippon Yasan, and I'll be good to go on that front.

Edit: I am also painfully aware that shipping from Asia for anything right now is terribad, especially with the pandemic going on.

Edited by YourFavGrandpa
blah

So, Nintendo updated their Direct database. Which rule of thumb when this happens is a Direct is coming soon. They’re usually announced within a month of the database update. 

So something is likely coming down the pipeline soon. 

Edited by iStu X
51 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Online co-op confirmed for 3D world

I’m so excited to play this with my normal group of friends I hang out with. They aren’t super familiar with Mario games. They hated playing U Deluxe with me for various reasons. They’re also a group that can be super competitive if given the right nudge. 

The Crown and the Flag will be their undoing. 

dexters laboratory laughing GIF

53 minutes ago, Wellman said:

Bought it this afternoon, don't have plans on using it yet, just bought the Neogeo Samurai Showdown collection. Mostly for the museum stuff as I already own a older collection of the six 2D games on previous generation hardware.

I bought two. If it’s still going tomorrow I might buy one more. 

Quick question: if I preorder a game from the eShop will it take away from my current eShop cash amount or charge my debit? 

I want to preorder cyber shadow since it’s on sale but it seems to not give me an option to use my eShop credit. Or doesn’t tell me explicably that it uses my eShop credit 

if this seems like a “duh” question: I’ve never preordered anything from the eshop

Edited by iStu X
45 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Quick question: if I preorder a game from the eShop will it take away from my current eShop cash amount or charge my debit? 

I want to preorder cyber shadow since it’s on sale but it seems to not give me an option to use my eShop credit. Or doesn’t tell me explicably that it uses my eShop credit 

if this seems like a “duh” question: I’ve never preordered anything from the eshop

Can't say myself, the only time I ever pre-ordered something on eShop I remember was voucher titles and the other time I remember I had to add cash to pre-order cause I had none there. Would be weird if it didn't take the credit you have.

6 minutes ago, Wellman said:

Can't say myself, the only time I ever pre-ordered something on eShop I remember was voucher titles and the other time I remember I had to add cash to pre-order cause I had none there. Would be weird if it didn't take the credit you have.

The Nintendo FAQ about eShop preorders is will use available funds attached to account when preordering. So, I guess that answers my question 

My mans Mario gets to go Super Saiyan in Bowser's Fury! Day Juan!

My Blaster Master Zero 1 and 2 arrive today. I also got Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid delivered today. Game looks super unbalanced but mad fun.

So I bought physical Final Fantasy IX off Amazon. Was all set to arrive today. I go to check the status of it and it says it is undeliverable, and I'm getting a refund. Guess I'll try ordering again once I get my refund. SMH.

1 minute ago, iStu X said:

Okay?

I'm just saying I don't know if I'd call it 'compression wizardry'.  Games that don't have a lot of data are gonna be small no matter what.

The whole modern emphasis on install sizes in general seems a bit odd to me to begin with tbh.  People posting entire articles about how much space a game or application takes up seems very 1990s to me. 🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, misterBee said:

I'm just saying I don't know if I'd call it 'compression wizardry'.  Games that don't have a lot of data are gonna be small no matter what.

The whole modern emphasis on install sizes in general seems a bit odd to me to begin with tbh.  People posting entire articles about how much space a game or application takes up seems very 1990s to me. 🤷‍♂️

When there can be 100+ gig installs or patches for games I don’t see how it’s even remotely odd to write about it. 

Also, there’s more than just 3D world port that people could point to show off what Nintendo can do with file sizes compared to how big their games are. 

Edited by iStu X
31 minutes ago, iStu X said:

When there are 100+ gig installs or patches I don’t see how it’s even remotely odd to write about it. 

Also, there’s more than just 3D world port that people could point to. 

If you are digital only and living with bad internet or bandwidth caps then size concerns make sense to me.

On the other hand if we're talking about the Switch specifically then the biggest game is something like 30GB, and 256GB+ SD cards are both cheap and plentiful.

Switch doesn't run at a high resolution so large textures and assets aren't necessary. Super Mario World being 2.9GB doesn't seem like something someone would need to write an article about when it seems like lots of games on the platform are small anyway: https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/nintendo-switch/nintendo_switch_game_file_sizes?start=80

Honestly I'm more concerned about the Switch's lackluster internal storage size rather than the size of games themselves.  32GB seems like a pretty embarrassing amount of storage for a device made in 2017.  If the Switch had shipped with something more appropriate like 128GB/256GB, I don't think anyone would be writing about game sizes on the platform at all.

Anyway it's just an observation.  I had fun with my Switch the few times I used it.  I'll crack open my copy of Ring Fit Adventure eventually...

41 minutes ago, misterBee said:

If you are digital only and living with bad internet or bandwidth caps then size concerns make sense to me.

On the other hand if we're talking about the Switch specifically then the biggest game is something like 30GB, and 256GB+ SD cards are both cheap and plentiful.

Switch doesn't run at a high resolution so large textures and assets aren't necessary. Super Mario World being 2.9GB doesn't seem like something someone would need to write an article about when it seems like lots of games on the platform are small anyway: https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/nintendo-switch/nintendo_switch_game_file_sizes?start=80

Honestly I'm more concerned about the Switch's lackluster internal storage size rather than the size of games themselves.  32GB seems like a pretty embarrassing amount of storage for a device made in 2017.  If the Switch had shipped with something more appropriate like 128GB/256GB, I don't think anyone would be writing about game sizes on the platform at all.

Anyway it's just an observation.  I had fun with my Switch the few times I used it.  I'll crack open my copy of Ring Fit Adventure eventually...

As someone who buys physical it bothers me that companies short change the carts and force downloads on me cuz they wanna cheapnout and not use the larger carts. CDPR in hot water but they still have my respect for shelling out for the largest cart to cram every bit of Witcher 3 content onto said cart while Capcoms like "We can't fit 8 NES games on one Switch cart!"

Also 100+ gig downloads take an assload of time  and bandwidth. I think you are under selling the issue because it doesn't effect you directly it seems. Data caps are a thing. 

Edited by RSG3
12 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Also 100+ gig downloads take an assload of time  and bandwidth. I think you are under selling the issue because it doesn't effect you directly it seems. Data caps are a thing. 

Aww come on...the very first line of my post was saying that I understand if it's an issue for people with bandwidth caps:

2 hours ago, misterBee said:

My bad my bad. It's just most of the country here is on lower end bandwidth nd cppy ass lines so it's kind of a big issue, I don't really see how it's a 90s issue when space has kind of always been an issue and now a lot of then you have to download to, even when you buy physical. 

Edited by RSG3

It's not a bandwith cap issue for me as much as time issue. Even with a 1Gig connection. Re-downloading my PS4 games to my PS5 took a time. My brother has it worse, the fastest connection he can get is 150MB. And Sony's system transfer is straight garbage so it isn't option. How the hell can I have no issues transferring my Wii data to my Wii U in 2012 but Sony can't get it right in 2020. Nintendo isn't exactly on the cutting edge. @RSG3I agree on CDPR, The Witcher 3 just shames most 3rd party titles on Switch in the way it was handled. Doom Eternal could have fit on a 32GB cart easy. They didn't want to pony up so it's digital download only.

Got Arcade Archives GRADIUS III. Man, this game STILL leaves it's size 12s on my cheeks. Though all the customizable options does make this version a bit easier to handle. Hoping we get Gradius IV someday. 

My Switch replacement fan arrived on Sunday. She's been fixed since that day so I can play games for long periods of time again! 

I finally read up on that story where Microsoft tried buying Nintendo. 

6yZ.gif

Like, Nintey straight up LOLed at Microsfot for an HOUR. Even though they were getting spanked by Sony at the time, the idea of Microsoft buying them was that hilarious to Nintendo. 

25 minutes ago, RegH81 said:

Got Arcade Archives GRADIUS III. Man, this game STILL leaves it's size 12s on my cheeks. Though all the customizable options does make this version a bit easier to handle. Hoping we get Gradius IV someday. 

My Switch replacement fan arrived on Sunday. She's been fixed since that day so I can play games for long periods of time again! 

I finally read up on that story where Microsoft tried buying Nintendo. 

6yZ.gif

Like, Nintey straight up LOLed at Microsfot for an HOUR. Even though they were getting spanked by Sony at the time, the idea of Microsoft buying them was that hilarious to Nintendo. 

Gradius 3 is a super fucking mean game so anything that can make the experience a little more...digestable is a good thing. 

You should look for the SA1 hack of Gradius 3 SNES. Definitive version imo. 

Edited by RSG3

Stayed up late to get my copy of Scott pilgrim from eshop. 

realized it was 2am which is the longest I’ve stayed up in a while 

Went to bed at 205am

Just woke up to go piss

cleared first stage and now going back to bed. 

never knew I missed a game so much. I plan on playing it all day when I wake up. 

Edited by iStu X