Stage Select

The Nintendo Switch Thread

On 10/25/2020 at 9:49 PM, Sonichuman said:

Telling you that lil guardian is SUS.  Toss him out the airlock before its too late!

Been telling people this since day 1.

We're definitely gonna have to turn that egg into an omelet. I ain't getting attached to it. Bet the lil bugger will be one of the first ones to turn and shoot Link on the back.

Edit: Hol up, King Rhoam is playable? Let's gooooooooooooo!!!

Edited by Volt

These are actually some very nice announcements. But the stealth Direct mini format this year still sucks IMO. 

Yeah you risk some idiots losing their shit over disappoinment from hyping themselves up, but much like a prime time football game you get everyone's eyes on you. This stealth drop stuff feels like the impact is lessen.

I bought Vigil The Longest Night but haven't booted it up yet because apparently there are a lot of game breaking glitches in the game at the moment. Much as I've been looking forward to it, I'd rather hold off until it's playable. I might try the speedrun mode in Bloodstained to scratch my metroidvania itch for the moment. 

That said, I wish Castlevania Requiem were available on switch. I don't know that I'd play SotN & Rondo tons but it would be nice to have them without having to hack. 

Part Time UFO was apparently available on mobile. Never even knew the game existed until today. It looks really fun. I went on and picked it up.

No More Heros 1 AND 2 on Switch. Announced and released on the same day? I see you, Suds 51.

Age of Calamity demo is downloaded and ready to go!

2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I bought Vigil The Longest Night but haven't booted it up yet because apparently there are a lot of game breaking glitches in the game at the moment. Much as I've been looking forward to it, I'd rather hold off until it's playable. I might try the speedrun mode in Bloodstained to scratch my metroidvania itch for the moment. 

That said, I wish Castlevania Requiem were available on switch. I don't know that I'd play SotN & Rondo tons but it would be nice to have them without having to hack. 

It’s only crashed twice on me so far. One of the creators popped up in the metroidvania Reddit saying that they’re nearly finished with the patch to address those issues, and that they’re waiting for Nintendo to approve it. 

1 minute ago, hanzohattori12 said:

It’s only crashed twice on me so far. One of the creators popped up in the metroidvania Reddit saying that they’re nearly finished with the patch to address those issues, and that they’re waiting for Nintendo to approve it. 

Yeah I heard the patch was waiting for approval, but the dev said it would probably be weeks and part of the bugs involve losing save data so I'm iffy on getting started just yet. I heard putting it on the system memory as opposed to the sd card helped too though. 

15 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Impa is feeling pretty OP right now which I think most expected based on the videos.    Demo has been great so far.  Not sure how to feel right now regarding what the story is doing with the lil guardian at the moment but I'm definitely willing to see how it plays out.

I don’t really feel she’s that OP since she doesn’t do a lot of damage. It just seems like she does because of the clone jutsu. 

tbh out of the three characters you get to play in the demo, Zelda was my favorite. She’s slow and has somewhat short range but she has the potential to do the most damage output and cover the most ground since she is a heavy set up character.

I took out an entire camp with her while only changing my POV and not my actual person. 

I still have no doubt in my mind Link will end up the best character in the game. I just feel that unlike OG Hyrule Warriors everyone brings something special to the table. Cause OG Hyrule Warriors was essentially you played Sword Link, Young Link or Volga. No one else mattered , really lol

Edited by iStu X
2 minutes ago, iStu X said:

I don’t really feel she’s that OP since she doesn’t do a lot of damage. It just seems like she does because of the clone jutsu. 

tbh out of the three characters you get to play in the demo, Zelda was my favorite. She’s slow and has somewhat short range but she has the potential to do the most damage output and cover the most ground since a lot of her stuff can be set up and positioned to be AOE’s 

Her clones make filling up her special meter a joke in large crowds.  I haven't really played enough of Zelda yet since I got turned off when I switched over to her in one of the missions.  I'll give her another shot.

5 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Her clones make filling up her special meter a joke in large crowds.  I haven't really played enough of Zelda yet since I got turned off when I switched over to her in one of the missions.  I'll give her another shot.

My main issue with Impa is that you have to kill your own momentum to activate the clone sigils. But once you do she’s really good in crowds. Like you said, she fills up her special really quick when she has all 6 clones. 

unfortunately that probably won’t amount to much when you get smaller mobs or bigger/giant enemies. 

that’s how it was with most the characters in OG Hyrule. They were either amazing at 1v1 but sucked fighting groups or were amazing 1v1000 but sucked at 1v1. Or you were Agatha who just was a horrible character lol

Edited by iStu X
50 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Good. Fuck Agetha lol. 

Still haven't played the demo but I do have it installed. 

I love Agitha. We’ve had this argument. But she’s easily the worst character in OG Hyrule. She’s not really good at doing anything. She’s slow, bad range, all her attack chains are clunky, awkward and have no real focus. She’s just terrible which makes me feel bad. 

top 5 would probably be

Sword Link (Every weapon of Links except Epona is good but Sword is far and away the best choice.) 

Cross Bow Linkle (Her other weapon is the Pegasus Boots and they suuuuck) 

Volga

Young Link

Impa

Honorable Mention: Sheik

Edited by iStu X

I honestly dont care about Aretha either way. I don't like her design, I thibk it's overly busy and stupid and her side quest is fucking booooooooooooring. 

So I don't really care about Agetha. I ignore her whenever I play because her side quest is lame. 

Never played HW1 so I unno. 

7 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I honestly dont care about Aretha either way. I don't like her design, I thibk it's overly busy and stupid and her side quest is fucking booooooooooooring. 

So I don't really care about Agetha. I ignore her whenever I play because her side quest is lame. 

Never played HW1 so I unno. 

You’re so mean. 

Sad Cartoon GIF

• iStu X changed the title to The Nintendo Switch Thread! v. For a Limited Time Only - Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin 11/10 - Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity 11/20

So I’m finally getting around to playing Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle (yeah I know) and it’s actually hella fun. It really is babies first XCOM but that’s in no way a bad thing. 

The battle system is really simplistic but as you go into each battle map you have to be more and more creative with the tools you’re given. 

You aren’t given many new abilities as you progress either. Mario gets a melee attack, Luigi gets a remote mine. Things like that. They all have cool downs too. But as far as I can tell from the skill trees you’re really just making the few abilities you do get and the standard ones stronger whether it be by damage or secondary effects. Which I think is a really good idea. It keeps with the layered simplicity the game is trying to go for.

The humor is also really great too. Ubisoft imo figured out the perfect balance between annoying rabbids and Nintendo charm. 

this is only first impressions as I’m not even finished with the first world. But I’ve been playing for about 6-7 hours, so I think I feel ok given this kind of short review/initial impression

Edited by iStu X
9 hours ago, RegH81 said:

Some people are afraid Age of Calamity is pulling a FFVII REMAKE with the lil guardian. I'm willing to wait until I play the full game before I make any assumptions.

Doubtful Nintendo knows first hand how fucking idiotic it's Zelda fan base is with timelines. This is probably a hook for BotW2 or just something to help bring in BotW characters direct. But then again Koei Tecmo are the ones mostly handling this.

A friend back home just surprised me with a $45 eShop card for my birthday. Which is a little early as my birthday isn’t until the 22nd of November. But I definitely appreciate it nonetheless. 

I ended up getting No More Heroes 1&2 as well as Shantae: Risky’s Revenge - Directors Cut. 

Once I finish Kingdom Battle I’ll probably jump into NMH. I’m excited to visit Santa Destroy again. 

Edited by iStu X
On 10/31/2020 at 5:18 PM, iStu X said:

A friend back home just surprised me with a $45 eShop card for my birthday. Which is a little early as my birthday isn’t until the 22nd of November. But I definitely appreciate it nonetheless. 

I ended up getting No More Heroes 1&2 as well as Shantae: Risky’s Revenge - Directors Cut. 

Once I finish Kingdom Battle I’ll probably jump into NMH. I’m excited to visit Santa Destroy again. 

_KEV3080.JPG

"Welcome to the garden of madness Travis."

More impressions about Kingdom Battle

The game doesn’t have much meat on it when it comes to story as there’s only 4 worlds with 10 “levels”  each. I am currently on World 3-Level 1.  
However, I also wasn’t expecting any. The replayability almost entirely comes from post game stuff. Finding all the chests, clearing challenges which unlock after clearing the world, finding the secret chapter in each world, etc.

I have yet to try the Donkey Kong DLC campaign. Or whatever it is. Lol. It unlocks after you defeat the world one boss but I was going to wait until post game to try it. 

the games maps arent really big and very linear but at the same time it’s very easy to get lost. All the locations in each world very much bleed together. So it’s easy to get lost. Especially if you’re hunting down the chests/secret paths I mentioned earlier. I really wish there was some sort of map or distinguishing landmarks to help you navigate. 

As you unlock more skills, status effects and buffs the amount of combos you can do is insane. Like I said in the original impression, it adds more layers to the simplistic battle system. Baby’s first XCom in the best way possible. 

Peach (so far) imo is the best character in the game. I’ve yet to unlock Yoshi or Rabbid Yoshi but Peach is absolutely bonkers. She can heal your party just by using the team jump mechanic, she’s good a sniping and has several AOE’s that do tons of damage. 

Speaking of Peach, she’s kind of a monster person in this game. Right as you’re about to fight the world 2 boss who is basically a snowman yeti it takes out one of your party members. Second later you see Peach being her cute ass self parasol’ing into battle but then it slowly pans around to her back and she’s holding what I can only describe as a flamethrower shotgun. 

After you beat the boss only it’s head remains. Rabbid Peach is checking out, takes a selfie with it and then Peach walks over. She lifts up the head, looks it in the eye then proceeds to punt the head into the abyss. AND THEN SHE LAUGHS ABOUT IT! 

Edited by iStu X
On 10/31/2020 at 2:17 AM, RegH81 said:

Some people are afraid Age of Calamity is pulling a FFVII REMAKE with the lil guardian. I'm willing to wait until I play the full game before I make any assumptions.

Age of Calamity opening sequence and mission with the lil' Guardian got me like:

200.gif

My initial impression of the story of Age of Calamity is I hate it. But that’s me being extremely bias because I absolutely hate time travel. It’s a crutch for writers who don’t know how to make x happen or need it to get out of y problem. It’s an extremely annoying trope that rarely works. 

It also seems very out of place for a simple prequel. 

that said, I’m not going to write off the game or the story just based off that. They may pull a Fantastic Four by Jonathan Hickman where it all swells and culminates in the finale where the time travel fits perfectly into the story. 

we get to find out in less than 3 weeks. So here’s to hoping 

Edited by iStu X
11 minutes ago, iStu X said:

My initial impression of the story is I hate it. But that’s me being extremely bias because I absolutely hate time travel. It’s a crutch for writers who don’t know how to make x happen or need it to get out of y problem. It’s an extremely annoying trope that rarely works. 

It also seems very out of place for a simple prequel. 

that said, I’m not going to write off the game or the story just based off that. They may pull a Fantastic Four by Jonathan Hickman where it all swells and culminates in the finale where the time travel fits perfectly into the story. 

we get to find out in less than 3 weeks. So here’s to hoping 

Pretty much feeling the same way here...I don't like the implications but I'll see where it goes before casting full judgement.

2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Did anyone else hear about a House of the Dead game coming to switch or was it just me? I suspect vaporware along with Bayo3 until I hear more. 🤔

Heard about the remakes of 1 and 2 by the folks that did the Panzer Dragoon 1 remake. Haven't heard anything about a Switch game besides that, although publishers especially on the investors meetings name drop Switch games all the time without anything coming of it.

1 hour ago, Wellman said:

Heard about the remakes of 1 and 2 by the folks that did the Panzer Dragoon 1 remake. Haven't heard anything about a Switch game besides that, although publishers especially on the investors meetings name drop Switch games all the time without anything coming of it.

Yeah it was the remakes. I need that on my Switch and I hope they're actually going to see the light of day. 

Nice. Switch will probably cross 70 million after this holiday.  

I’m indifferent about All-Stars doing so well.  On one hand I always enjoy when collections like these sell well. But we also know why it’s selling well. So I don’t feel the numbers deserved to be celebrated .

By the time the vault closes on it though it’ll likely be just under or slightly over 10m copies. 

Edited by iStu X

Everyone here should remember the run-up to Christmas last year on the other site, when I finally got my Switch. This year, the missus asked for me to kinda tone things down a bit and not spend as much on myself, and casually recommended I stay under $200 for my gifts this year (the last couple of years I've spent close to $500 each year on just my gifts alone).

So, here's my semi-final Christmas Haul this year, as far as Switch games go (all are physical except for MK Aftermath):

SF 30th Anniversary Edition
Puyo Puyo Tetris
MK Aftermath

Paper Mario: The Origami King
Fire Emblem Encore FE#
Streets of Rage 4

The only thing I really paid "full-price" for was MK Aftermath, and even then; I bought it at Walmart; so technically not full price. I may use Gamefly's used section once more before the holidays end, as there were a couple of other games I wanted outside of the last three on the list (bought from them). I may also buy Dragon Quest XI brand new as well from Walmart, barring Amazon/Best Buy putting the Switch version of the Definitive Edition on sale for Black Friday.

also @iStu X- since you were looking for Switch codes to append to the OP, mine is SW-1955-7206-6697.

Edit: just checked my Switch and I already bought SoR4. **FUCK**

Edited by YourFavGrandpa
blah