Stage Select

The Nintendo Switch Thread

1 minute ago, RegH81 said:

If it makes you feel any better, Stu used to not tag me when it came to SHMUPs.

It's alright, I was just fucking with ya. 

That being said, I've already gone through all $200 worth of eShop credit, the final haul was:

• Metroid Dread (well, duh)
  • Quake (also, duh)
  • Both Castlevania collections
  • Espgaluda II
  • Axiom Verge
  • The first Atelier Trilogy (Rorona, Meruru, and Totori)

I'll pick up a $10 card this weekend for the new Smash character. Also, I have finally capped out my 400gb MicroSD card after having my Switch for almost 2 years. I may have just found what I need to ask about for a Christmas present, a new MicroSD card! Will probably ask my wife for a 1TB MicroSD card as the only gift I get this year, and ask my daughter in law for some more eShop credit 😂

5 hours ago, Volt said:

Didn't know DMC3 was on the Switch. Style switching on the fly too. 👀

Online co-op in the BP to.

@WellmanPersona 4 Golden is on Steam now, and there are rumors its coming to the Switch after SMTV.

I'm hype for SMTV. It looks cool.

Edited by RSG3

Ok yeah... one hell of a tough first impression... Steel Assault---I've died 3 times to the first boss already.  I'm loving the generally fast pace of the action here.  Visually, I wish more 2d games would go this route of having at least that "16-bit" look....it's naturally superior to the cheap ass 8-bit and lower you *usually* get with 2d "retro style" stuff for the past several years.

edit---5 deaths now.  The margin for error on this shit is non-existent....aha, got it now... on to the next area...

Edited by MillionX
11 hours ago, Volt said:

Didn't know DMC3 was on the Switch. Style switching on the fly too. 👀

I actually think that being limited to a certain number of weapons and a single.style makes the game better and more strategic, but the style switching is definitely a lot of fun and being able to switch weapons without visiting a statue is pretty great too. I haven't delved into DMCV as much as this one, but from what I've played, I still think 3 is the best DMC game. 

I think V surpasses it in most ways. Style switching fits better there tho, was designed with it in mind, enemies are more capable of dealing with you despite the OP nature. Also cant really agree on the strategy comment as everything dies to whatever load out you bring with you, its more a matter of comfort then actual strategic merit imo. Enemies in DMC after 1 just dont have that kind of mindset built into them, not even in 4 or V where they are big step up from DMC3s enemies imo.

What baffles me is they put online co-op in DMC3 BP on the Switch but only ever put in that half baked system in V and nothing for the BP at all.

So fucking confusing. I'd posit maybe a hardware concern but they have the Co-op missions and they run fine so...What gives?

Edited by RSG3
6 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I'm surprised at how well this port turned out considering how shaky it was on the intended platforms.

I still need to dig up that glitched footage i recorded when I played on PS4.

I liked DarkSiders 3 a decent amount but stable it was not.

10 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I actually think that being limited to a certain number of weapons and a single.style makes the game better and more strategic, but the style switching is definitely a lot of fun and being able to switch weapons without visiting a statue is pretty great too. I haven't delved into DMCV as much as this one, but from what I've played, I still think 3 is the best DMC game. 

It being closer to the newer games makes the muscle memory less of a bother. I already suck playing with Dante anyway.

From what I've played of both 3 and 4, I'd pick 4 any day. What little I played of 5 was *really* good, but my PC can't handle it very well. I did beat (not play, beat) 4 at 15fps when I only had a laptop, but I'm not sure I wanna run that set back, y'know? 🤣

1 hour ago, Volt said:

It being closer to the newer games makes the muscle memory less of a bother. I already suck playing with Dante anyway.

From what I've played of both 3 and 4, I'd pick 4 any day. What little I played of 5 was *really* good, but my PC can't handle it very well. I did beat (not play, beat) 4 at 15fps when I only had a laptop, but I'm not sure I wanna run that set back, y'know? 🤣

1 hour ago, Volt said:

What little I played of 5 was *really* good, but my PC can't handle it very well. I did beat (not play, beat) 4 at 15fps when I only had a laptop, but I'm not sure I wanna run that set back, y'know? 🤣

1 hour ago, Volt said:

I I did beat (not play, beat) 4 at 15fps when I only had a laptop,

I'm so sorry...

On 10/2/2021 at 7:26 PM, Volt said:

The combo video type players always say 4 is the pinnacle of combat in the series, and while I believe that, it's such a fucking awful game in so many other ways that it's probably my least favorite in the series other than 2. 

On 10/2/2021 at 10:16 AM, RSG3 said:

I think V surpasses it in most ways. Style switching fits better there tho, was designed with it in mind, enemies are more capable of dealing with you despite the OP nature. Also cant really agree on the strategy comment as everything dies to whatever load out you bring with you, its more a matter of comfort then actual strategic merit imo. Enemies in DMC after 1 just dont have that kind of mindset built into them, not even in 4 or V where they are big step up from DMC3s enemies imo.

What baffles me is they put online co-op in DMC3 BP on the Switch but only ever put in that half baked system in V and nothing for the BP at all.

So fucking confusing. I'd posit maybe a hardware concern but they have the Co-op missions and they run fine so...What gives?

There are certain enemies in 3 that are weaker to certain weapons. The strategy aspect comes in where you have to choose between weapon or style that will make those enemies easier to deal with, or one that's generally good for getting thru things. Being able to style/weapon switch at will takes that away. Yes, things die to whatever loadout you have, but some loadouts make certain boss fights or enemy battles easier. 

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

There are certain enemies in 3 that are weaker to certain weapons.

Yea but do you ever actually take that into account when making your load out? I sure as shit dont. The elemental effecs and damage bonuses are negligible at best imo. Its not like fighting Plasmas in DMC1 where yea you could kill them with Alastor but you made the fight 10x harder and 5x longer by doing it. Everything seems to die reletively the same speed no matter the load out you choose. If im only trying to kill something fast as fuck I spam Real Impact which is still amazing for my Style Meter lol but pretty boring, and at times can take just as long since setting up RI can be a pain depending on the situation. That just seems less a strategic option and more just a Big Red Nuke Button option lol, which I guess is what DTE is i guess we get to have two of them.

The strategy aspect comes in where you have to choose between weapon or style that will make those enemies easier to deal with, or one that's generally good for getting thru things.

I think this is were we have a big disconnect. Styling is the best strat imo. Style and Overwhelming Aggression go hand in hand, I dont think there is a decision to be made here. You just go in HAM and make the defensive decisions you need to make when the window is there to make them, otherwise its just overwhelming offense and as long as you mix it up between 3 moves in your move set your style wont degrade so...I don't see this as a choice. You always style its the most strategic positive decision you can make. Even the rush damage decision, the moves that deal tons of efficient damage also give out tons of style so yea hand in hand decision imo.

Yes, things die to whatever loadout you have, but some loadouts make certain boss fights or enemy battles easier. 

Right, because you are comfortable with that load out against that enemy not because theres really an inherent strategic advantage most of the time, you're just comfortable fighting them with that load out. One of the few situations where I can think of your load out a situation making a really big difference is like Nevan against Enigmas. It trivialises them but they are annoying as fuck so its a win anyway. But for every situation like that there are 10 that its really a comfort decision, not really a strategic advantage one, from my perspective anyway.

Edited by RSG3
10 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Snip

What's funny about this that before, when I played it on PS2, I generally just kept Rebellion/Nevan E&I/Kalina Ann for the entire game, but when I bought it again last year on Switch, I started noticing areas where certain weapons/styles worked better. Like, you COULD go Gunslinger vs Beowulf or Vergil, but you're just making life hard for yourself, likewise, Beowulf the weapon without Swordmaster in a level with a lot of mobs isn't going to work as well or using Agni & Rudra vs fire based enemies. Yeah, maybe some of it is a comfort thing, but there are definitely a lot of possibilities outside of just aggression. I play the game a lot differently now than I did when it first came out and I logged hundreds of hours in both 3DA and 3SE. 

11 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

What's funny about this that before, when I played it on PS2, I generally just kept Rebellion/Nevan E&I/Kalina Ann for the entire game, but when I bought it again last year on Switch, I started noticing areas where certain weapons/styles worked better. Like, you COULD go Gunslinger vs Beowulf or Vergil, but you're just making life hard for yourself, likewise, Beowulf the weapon without Swordmaster in a level with a lot of mobs isn't going to work as well or using Agni & Rudra vs fire based enemies. Yeah, maybe some of it is a comfort thing, but there are definitely a lot of possibilities outside of just aggression. I play the game a lot differently now than I did when it first came out and I logged hundreds of hours in both 3DA and 3SE. 

I'd honestly argue choosing Gunslinger at all is just making the game harder. Fun as fuck style but outside of exploits its not very good. Trickster and Swordmaster are my favorites in 3. I find RG very boring and never use it  but that is absolutely my personal preference, pure DPS wise its probably the best style.

Its a somewhat better style in 4 and I think a pretty good one in V but it helps in both those games youre not locked to it so it has the support of the other styles to help it out. I dont know if Gunslinger coulder ever, and really should ever be a style that could support itself. That gun heavy in DMC just doesnt feel right long term i dont think.

Edited by RSG3
31 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I'd honestly argue choosing Gunslinger at all is just making the game harder. Fun as fuck style but outside of exploits its not very good. Trickster and Swordmaster are my favorites in 3. I find RG very boring and never use it  but that is absolutely my personal preference, pure DPS wise its probably the best style.

Its a somewhat better style in 4 and I think a pretty good one in V but it helps in both those games youre not locked to it so it has the support of the other styles to help it out. I dont know if Gunslinger coulder ever, and really should ever be a style that could support itself. That gun heavy in DMC just doesnt feel right long term i dont think.

Gunslinger with Artemis and Kalina Ann might be my favorite style in the game. It's just fun as hell to have all these projectiles going on while you're slashing the fuck out of the enemies. Its not as overall useful as Swordmaster or even Trickster is, but again, playing with that style means you have to make certain decisions RE weapons and how you play, and that's one thing I really love about DMC3 that I didn't feel so much was the case with V. 

I never got good with Royal Guard, but I think it's overall the strongest style because it has application in every situation and allows you to do so much damage so quickly. 

Royal Guard became my favorite style, especially once I got the parry timing down. I maxed out Royal Guard and got so good with it, I beat  Vergil 3 on like the hardest difficulty without getting hit and parrying all his attacks. Probably one of my biggest gaming accomplishments ever. 

Unfortunately I was a teen without real responsibilities then, I know I don't have the time or the skill anymore replicate that shit again. 😂

9 hours ago, HD-Man said:

Royal Guard became my favorite style, especially once I got the parry timing down. I maxed out Royal Guard and got so good with it, I beat  Vergil 3 on like the hardest difficulty without getting hit and parrying all his attacks. Probably one of my biggest gaming accomplishments ever. 

Unfortunately I was a teen without real responsibilities then, I know I don't have the time or the skill anymore replicate that shit again. 😂

Someday I'm going to git gud with Royal Guard

Anyone interested in a Switch OLED who wasn't able to secure one?  I am 99% sure I am going to have an extra one at launch that I would sell for cost to regulars on here otherwise it's going to be returned to the store.  Cost for me with tax is like ~$372 so that plus actual shipping.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

22 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

The combo video type players always say 4 is the pinnacle of combat in the series, and while I believe that, it's such a fucking awful game in so many other ways that it's probably my least favorite in the series other than 2. 

devil-may-cry-4-nero-dropkicks-dante-o.g

Also, whoever gets announced today for Smash means there will be delicious salty tears and I'm eager to swim in them. 🤣

Does Disney own Sora or does Square? Only actual reference to Disney is the key blade but I'm curious who actually owns the character 

And I'd totally be down for a KH game (without floaty combat) that takes place in Nintendo worlds instead of Disney. Make it happen, Nintendo and Square 

9 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Does Disney own Sora or does Square?

Square owns all original media for Kingdom Hearts, so they own Sora.

9 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

And I'd totally be down for a KH game (without floaty combat) that takes place in Nintendo worlds instead of Disney. Make it happen, Nintendo and Square 

Fuck man, would play. Go back to the feeling of KHIIs combat. It was wieghty but weightless at the same time...hard to explain but you had a shit load of mobility while Sora felt like he had heft to him. I never played KHIII but it doesnt look or sound very good from the video and talk Ive seen about it...

Edited by RSG3
11 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Does Disney own Sora or does Square? Only actual reference to Disney is the key blade but I'm curious who actually owns the character 

I think with Kingdom Hearts it is a co ownership. Square Enix obviously has more pull in the character direction but Disney can throw weight if they want, since Sora and the rest of KH original cast are games and no pays attention over at Disney to games they probably don't have much of a leash.

Kind of like Nintendo and Pokemon.

Edited by Wellman
7 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Square owns all original media for Kingdom Hearts, so they own Sora.

Fuck man, would play.

Reason I asked is in the trailer they do a huge closeup on the Disney Mickey logo and was wondering did they need approval from Disney or something to show that emblem 

And definitely, I'd day one a KH x Nintendo game. Nintendo is one of the few with a catalog deep enough to match Disney. Soooo many worlds they could choose from

And KH3 wasn't bad game persay, just a huge disappointment. Weightless, floaty combat and the unnecessary Attraction Attacks turn it into easy mode. Not to mention Nomura clearly forgot alot of the damn story which is why certain characters are completely missing from the game

Edited by HD-Man
8 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Not to mention Nomura clearly forgot alot of the damn story which is why certain characters are completely missing from the game

He full on admits that’s why he stopped using Square characters because he forgot why they were in the story and what they were doing. 

3 minutes ago, iStu X said:

He full on admits that’s why he stopped using Square characters because he forgot why they were in the story and what they were doing. 

Yep, that he did. That shit annoyed me to no end, and he has himself to blame for making it unnecessarily convuluted 

29 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

From what I’ve been seeing, if you want to use Sora, you have to deal with Disney as well. Not even Final Fantasy 14, a game produced by someone on the board of directors at SE, doesn’t  want to have a crossover with Kingdom Hearts since it means Disney has to get involved. If Sora was just owned by Square Enix, I doubt it would be a problem. 

And of course since some Smash fans can’t be happy, they are now talking about which is the worst reveal we have gotten. Glad we’re done with this shit.

While I don’t personally care about Sora or Kingdom Hearts in general, I know his inclusion made a lot of people happy and it was a great way to end Smash Ultimate. 

Following the series for so long, it’s a little sad to see it possibly end. But I had a blast all the way through.

4 hours ago, purbeast said:

Anyone interested in a Switch OLED who wasn't able to secure one?  I am 99% sure I am going to have an extra one at launch that I would sell for cost to regulars on here otherwise it's going to be returned to the store.  Cost for me with tax is like ~$372 so that plus actual shipping.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

I wasn't going to snag one, but if no one bites I'll take it. I have a first gen Switch. I'm not into the mod scene but I'm curious. I remember MVG overclocking his first gen Switch and getting the Witcher to run at 60fps.