Stage Select

The Nintendo Switch Thread

If Nintendo included pretty much all their 1st party games on NES, SNES, GB, GBA, N64, GC, and some good Genesis stuff, would you guys pony up the $50 for that? 

I could see it being worth $50 a year to have access to a whole library of great games, but imo N64 and Genesis don't peak my interest enough to want to pay that. I barely play the NES and SNES emulators as is. 

With the quality of service that Nintendo offers for their online, I wouldn't pay more than $20 annually anyways. 
XBL and PSN are still superior. 

I just canceled my Nintendon't Online subscription renewal (it comes up next Month) as I don't play Animal Crossing or Pokemon Sword any more. 

Just as Purebeast said,  I don't need NSO to play NES and SNES games (Switch Emulation is already lacking). 

Edited by DarkSakul
Nintendon't

Love the N64 and enjoy Genesis classics  but fuck that price. I am sad that some asshat in Nintendo may use this as a means to bad mouth N64 and the Genesis value when this is clearly then over valuing older games. Ironically I may have been swayed if this was the price at the jump mostly because I wouldn't know how badly they would do the feed of games on the Switch online services. Granted the N64 has a much smaller library to choose from but knowing Nintendo it will offset that by only releasing 4 games annually after a initial launch of 12 games.

On 10/16/2021 at 12:25 PM, DoctaMario said:

If Nintendo included pretty much all their 1st party games on NES, SNES, GB, GBA, N64, GC, and some good Genesis stuff, would you guys pony up the $50 for that? 

My inherent issue with something like this:

It'll probably happen before I'm dead. /s

Who am I fucking kidding, Nintendo will drip drip drip feed the fuck out of N64 and MD/Genesis games as long as people aren't the wiser and are oblivious to their attempt to bilk customers out of their money. Also the people who buy into the year sub with the ACNH DLC are stupid dumb, and have more money than sense.

FWIW, I'll keep my $60 for 3 years worth of NSO over 1 year of the horseshit they're currently selling, any day. In fact, I think my NSO sub from pre-pandemic is supposed to run out very soon; and I'm not renewing right away because outside of Shmups and Metroid Dread; my Switch is not really used, and is currently ever-so-close to heading to the storage unit to never see the light of day again. 

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

Well...apparently Banjo and Kazooie is coming to NSO...so it's not impossible.

Tooie was better anyway.

Apparently, all the licensing nonsense involved skyrocketed the price and whoever wants that gotta hold that.

I personally could never tho.

3 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I'd really love to see them add Shadowgate, Deja Vu, and

I doubt Nintendo could get the licensing for it

Shadow Gate did made a not so recent return, a Full Remake by the original devs of the old B&W Mac (Mac Adventure) version, and they also now own the rights to the NES Sound track. The current IP holders rather sell their Remake and the Old mac versions on Steam than to let Nintendo drip feed the NES rom to people. 

The Remake is on the Switch eShop.
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/shadowgate-switch/

Edited by DarkSakul
9 hours ago, DarkSakul said:

I doubt Nintendo could get the licensing for it

Shadow Gate did made a not so recent return, a Full Remake by the original devs of the old B&W Mac (Mac Adventure) version, and they also now own the rights to the NES Sound track. The current IP holders rather sell their Remake and the Old mac versions on Steam than to let Nintendo drip feed the NES rom to people. 

The Remake is on the Switch eShop.
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/shadowgate-switch/

Wow I had no idea they did a remake of this! Wishlisted! 

13 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Speaking of NSO, I'd really love to see them add Shadowgate, Deja Vu, and The Uninvited to the NES library. I love those games. 

Bruh, Shadowgate GOAT intro music. I only played Uninvited much later on emulator but all of them are good

EDIT: woah didnt know there was a remake for Switch!!!  

I did play the Shadowgate 64 game back in the 2000s

Edited by locoghoul
  • iStu X changed the title to The Nintendo Switch Thread

...so I still enjoy making the Mii characters... such a shame that there isn't much to the customization there, and there's not much you can do with those characters aside from play them in Smash or Mario Kart.  Just recently I made "Chicknbone" (had to drop the first 'e' since that is too many letters)... a mii based off that dude I knew in high school with that nickname....forever etched in my memory after that day he randomly beat the hell out of a fat cheerleader in Art class.  I'm up to 46 miis at this point.  

It would be nice to have an action-RPG with the miis... I know there's that other rpg, I think it's "Miitopia" but y'know....the turn-based stuff just isn't my thing.  A beatemup sidescrolling thing with the mii characters could be fun too.

on another note---the Switch Lite has been the only system I've consistently seen in stores for about a year at this point.... I was tempted to get it at one point as my "extra" Switch, but no way at this point now that the almighty OLED is out.

Anyone had an issue where you've had to constantly do hard reset to get the switch on?

Out of nowhere my son's Switch last week wouldnt turn on.  I googled it and it said try a hard reset.  And that worked.

And since then, I've had to hard reset it about 3 more times and I have no clue why.

It's also the same Switch the wifi stopped working on out of nowhere a few months ago.

I'm going to call Nintendo about it too and see what they say.  I got this for him last Xmas and it's the Animal Crossing one so having these issues less than a year in is a downer.

5 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Important to remember all Emulators have input lag. Just a reminder.

But so bad I can clearly see the delay 

Also the controls on the N64 emulation is Garbage. 

Also I want to add, all Software Emulation has Lag. It's not just input lag.
Its because you are trying to do that system translation on the fly in software, and with the sequential nature of computer processing, you need a fast CPU and multiple cores to combat that latency. 
There tricks like run ahead mode that reduce the lag times, but that can only count for so much. 

FPGA/Hardware Emulation would be lagless, but last I check there no FPGA cores available yet for the N64. 

Edited by DarkSakul
9 hours ago, purbeast said:

Without knowing what kind of TV that person is using, that video is kind of pointless to talk about input lag.

We are also on a niche fighting game forum so we are way more susceptible to input lag than your average Madden and GTA gamer who make up 99% of the gaming community.

Probably not enough room for an in-depth analysis with a Twitter post. I suspect their be more incoming.
The OP did compared to an actual N64.

I do know that MVG has a video incoming (comparing the NSO N64 to popular PC Emulation and Real Hardware), and I sure Digital Foundry will have a video as well. 

1 hour ago, DarkSakul said:

Probably not enough room for an in-depth analysis with a Twitter post. I suspect their be more incoming.
The OP did compared to an actual N64.

I do know that MVG has a video incoming (comparing the NSO N64 to popular PC Emulation and Real Hardware), and I sure Digital Foundry will have a video as well. 

He compared it to the OG N64 on a CRT, not the same TV as the Switch.  Read the tweet you posted.

12 minutes ago, purbeast said:

He compared it to the OG N64 on a CRT, not the same TV as the Switch. 

So? Shit so laggy I can see the delay noticeable 
For link not to jump till you let go of that button press, that has to be at least 11 frames if not more . 
Unacceptable as Emulation coming from Nintendo who want's subscription money 

A good quality HDTV gives 10 milliseconds of delay
Not enough to throw results that bad

Just now, purbeast said:

LOL @ this dummy and his thumbs down reactions.

This dumb ass who can't edit his post. Also unable to accept any discorse.
You are just as trash as you are on SRK. 

Watch before commenting

Also the Netcode is a flaming dumpster 

My suggestion, do not get NSO unless you really have a hard-on for paying money to Nintendo.
Find a old N64 and a Everdrive instead, Raspberry Pi, your Phone, pirate the shit, anything but the shit Nintendo is currently peddling.
Even the N64 Emulator for hacked Switch consoles run better.

Edited by DarkSakul
On 10/25/2021 at 5:53 PM, purbeast said:

Anyone had an issue where you've had to constantly do hard reset to get the switch on?

Out of nowhere my son's Switch last week wouldnt turn on.  I googled it and it said try a hard reset.  And that worked.

And since then, I've had to hard reset it about 3 more times and I have no clue why.

It's also the same Switch the wifi stopped working on out of nowhere a few months ago.

I'm going to call Nintendo about it too and see what they say.  I got this for him last Xmas and it's the Animal Crossing one so having these issues less than a year in is a downer.

I had an instance or two where I had to manually reset to get the screen working but never constantly. Hope they can fix that issue for you and your son. 

terrible...heh, that sounds like what I'd expect out of the old xbox 360 in terms of longevity.  I've had the launch-day Switch right from day 1, and so far no problems like that....only the joycons have been an issue for me; at this point I gave up on them... I just use the pro controller all the time now.

ah, I just remembered that Children of Morta was on sale for real cheap recently, but I probably missed it; it was around 8 bucks if I recall.

I keep seeing the physical version of Friday the 13th at one of my regular places...the "Collector" side of my brain compels me--- I may go on and get that next.  Whenever that finally disappears, it will become impossible to get.  I'm surprised the game even lasted this long, considering the constant legal/trademark issues involved with that movie franchise.

9 hours ago, RegH81 said:

No rewinds on N64 games on NSO as of yet. Gonna suck if you goof on Banjo-Kazooie in Rusty Bucket Bay. 

Rewind works on the same principles as Save States
It's easier to do it on NES, SNES and Genesis emulation as you can more easily take a snapshot of the memory (all the ram memory status).

But with Rewinds you do a second's worth instead of that one instance. 

N64 starts getting into the range of that way too much to back up.
Plus NES, SNES and Genesis Emulation go to the point it should run almost perfect.
N64 Emulation has been a mess for a while.