Stage Select

The Nintendo Switch Thread

1 hour ago, DarkSakul said:

Brook does what Nintendon't

A Dock with a built in Ethernet Jack, as well as a Game Cube controller adapter. 

Bruh, the only thing tempering my interest in this is the likely upcoming Switch revision. Bout' time someone did this. I hope they sell a metric tone of them. 

Edit: For $80 I may snag one anyway. I'd definitely play more of GRID with this. The GC adapter is a pain in the ass and I'm not playing GRID without the analog triggers.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

I love my physical 3DS collection.

It is a thing of beauty to behold.

I love having my 20 or so Switch carts, too.

That said, the more time goes by, and the more Ninty becomes in tune with the modern scene of consoles and relies on downloads and updates, the more content I am to buy Switch games digitally. Booting up and having a selection off the get, without having to pop the flap, eject, insert, push flap down, go back to the couch...

Yeah.

Steam may have unleashed this trend, but I ultimately blame Sony finally getting their shit together with deep PSN discounts, for easing me into this mentality.

The fact that flash carts are practically "collection" discs, makes it an even more comfortable transition, psychologically speaking.

Edited by JHDK
  • iStu X changed the title to The Nintendo Switch Thread v. Quell the Rampage! Defeat Magnamalo!: Monster Hunter Rise 3/26 - Mario dies 3/31
53 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Bruh my dock was delivered today. I got home it isn't there. So unless they delivered it to the wrong apartment, I got jacked. They didn't get the apartment number in the photo so I can't tell and I'm not going to every building to look for it. I'm salty as fuck right now.

Your apartment office isn't the drop off hub for your complex? 

On 3/20/2021 at 8:34 AM, Hawkingbird said:

Is Nintendo online still shit? I'm going all in when Monster Hunter drops and I have to pay for their online service. 

Let me know when y'all have Rise.

New info of what gear to farm & build, and strats will be in the Monster Hunter thread: 

https://megashock.net/topic/167-monster-hunter-worldicebornerise-thread-its-monster-huntin-time

Edited by CDB2k20

@iStu XVoice Chat depends on the game too. It isn't uniform. Only thing I can say is that at least it's only $20 for the year. 😐

I got my dock BTW. Too soon for a review. My first impressions are that it's smaller than I thought. Everything works. Did a quick race in GRID and my wired GC and Wavebird controllers work fine. My only complaint is that, since the Dock has two viewing positions, you can't just "drop" the Switch into place like with standard dock. That's minor though. I don't take my Switch out of the dock that often. The joycon replacements I got makes portable play far more comfortable, but the D-Pad sucks on it. I like playing my retro games on D-Pad, yeah they control fine on analog but that's beside the point. I wish I could find good set of larger joycons with a nice D-Pad. Everyone I look into ends up have a suspect D-Pad 😑

damn man this has become a bit of a problem trying to find the Kingdoms of Amalur physical edition.  None of my usual places have it; 2 Walmarts, a Target, Best Buy and even Gamestop.  I may have to begrudgingly just get the digital version.  My 2nd playthru on XB1 is currently Finesse/Sorcery, so I am most likely starting off with a pure Might character on Switch.

Monster Hunter Rise (less than a week now, folks!) is sure to be an easier find, I bet.... it's a more high-profile, hyped game so I figure there's a good chance that one will be popping up everywhere.

edit---and here's a review

Edited by MillionX
2 minutes ago, MillionX said:

damn man this has become a bit of a problem trying to find the Kingdoms of Amalur physical edition.  None of my usual places have it; 2 Walmarts, a Target, Best Buy and even Gamestop.  I may have to begrudgingly just get the digital version.  My 2nd playthru on XB1 is currently Finesse/Sorcery, so I am most likely starting off with a pure Might character on Switch.

Monster Hunter Rise (less than a week now, folks!) is sure to be an easier find, I bet.... it's a more high-profile, hyped game so I figure there's a good chance that one will be popping up everywhere.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08T46R9DK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Q2MM8SS8N8XEKWMQKBT6

• iStu X changed the title to The Nintendo Switch Thread v. Quell the Rampage!: Monster Hunter Rise 3/26 - Mario dies 3/31

after finally beating Bravely Default II and getting back my copy of Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition I loaned to a friend; I decided to restart said XBC Definitive Edition. 

I haven’t played the game since June last year. Plus I was only 30 hours in. Almost on the dot in fact. So I figured a hard restart would be the best choice of action. I’m excited to play it again.

I remember having a blast with the game when I first sat down to play it. And like the last time I started a file, I remember almost nothing about this game since I haven’t played it since the original Wii version despite owning the 3DS remaster. 

Time to be the Monado boy and kill some mechs .

Edited by iStu X
9 hours ago, MillionX said:

spacer.png

BAGGED THE FUCKER!!!

....IT TOOK 7 DAYS, WHICH IS LONGER THAN IT TOOK ME TO KILL FATALIS, BUT I GOT THE FUCKER!!!

The recent Plants vs. Zombies games....more shit that reminds me of this incredibly annoying thing in the industry for the past console era to now... things that didn't *really* have to be online-only, but the fucking companies involved made it like that anyway.

*I'm actually on the fence with the Amalur dilemma on Switch here... because of course it would be easy to just get it anytime I want as a digital download...but if I go physical, it seems like Amazon is the only way, since no places here have it, and I bet they probably never will....and ordering it means digging into an ancient amazon account (I've used them....maybe once several years ago....I think...?)...and then waiting on it to get here.  I've been spoiled by so many years of the good ol' days...where you just go to any one of several places and get the thing you want now....no waiting involved....no need to *hope* it doesn't get damaged by whoever slings the box into the back of the delivery van. (*I remember that short time I worked for FedEx way back in the day... the rules of "careful placement" of packages into a truck start to go right out the window when suddenly a LOT of boxes are coming down the conveyor belt at an increasingly fast rate.)

...it seems quite odd that not even Gamestop has it.  I'm one of the few people that's actually kinda on Gstop's side; I don't hate them like most gamers do at this point.  I think it's a bit of a shame that they probably won't exist much longer.... I guarantee at least some who hate them now will eventually talk about how they miss the "good ol' days" when they could reliably walk in there and get something that wasn't at Walmart or Best Buy.

Edited by MillionX
2 hours ago, MillionX said:

I'm one of the few people that's actually kinda on Gstop's side; I don't hate them like most gamers do at this point.  I think it's a bit of a shame that they probably won't exist much longer....

I think as long as some fucktry don't happen, Gamestop got a good 2 more years before they are going to consider some drastic efforts to keep afloat

My Problem with Game Stop they are becoming what Hot Topic Became. They lost in touch with their primary market and becomes a nerd pop culture shop. 

5 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

My Problem with Game Stop they are becoming what Hot Topic Became. They lost in touch with their primary market and becomes a nerd pop culture shop. 

Hot topic changed? Interesting. It's been a while since I've been there. That's my primary clothing store next to Macys. 

44 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

I think as long as some fucktry don't happen, Gamestop got a good 2 more years before they are going to consider some drastic efforts to keep afloat

"Are becoming?"

Man... GameStop hasn't been in touch with their primary target market since before they Unicron-ed Babbages.

R.I.P. Babbages - last bastion of the software boutiques.

Yes, that includes Electronics Boutique.

...also eaten by Ghey!Stahp!

Edited by JHDK
7 minutes ago, Emptyeyes said:

Hot topic changed? Interesting. It's been a while since I've been there. That's my primary clothing store next to Macys. 

Back when I was a teen they were the Poser Goth/Metal Head Clothing store. 
As back then Goths shop at thrift stores and collect band shirts from concerts. 

Then they became "legit" as bands sold out.

Now they are now known more for Vinyl Pop figures and dumb shit than clothing. 
They become a cheaper, lamer version of spencers gifts. 

2 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

Back when I was a teen they were the Poser Goth/Metal Head Clothing store. 
As back then Goths shop at thrift stores and collect band shirts from concerts. 

Then they became "legit" as bands sold out.

Now they are now known more for Vinyl Pop figures and dumb shit than clothing. 
They become a cheaper, lamer version of spencers gifts. 

That's disappointing. I'm a nerd too respectfully, but since if the choices are one sided, then that's unacceptable. I suppose I will have to be more creative by putting together and resembling more unisex clothes in that store. 

I actually like this mixture of things in Gamestop stores of the past few years.  It was about 2 years ago I saw some M.U.S.C.L.E. figures... I haven't seen those since way back in the day when they were a new thing and I was a kid!  It was overpriced but I bought a pack of them immediately.  They had a nice Thanos mini-statue that sadly got bought out before I could come back and get it. (*always my luck... I'll be on the fence about getting a certain thing...then come back a few days later and it's gone forever.)... they also usually have some Power Rangers figurines there too...unfortunately I don't remember seeing any of my favorites though... like if they had a Gold Zeo Ranger figure that would've been SO bought.  *some Walmarts have the miscellaneous "geeky stuff" section but it's typically small.... Target have a more comparable section though, so I guess they'd pick up the slack for a while once Gstop dies.

*sidenote---there's some Cyberpunk figures at Target I've seen lately that are also done in the "MUSCLE" style; very small and all 1 color (yellow)... if they're still there I may get them next time; recently the price got cut in half to 5 bucks.

4 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

Like there more nerd culture shirts than band shirts now

and they are all like 2 sizes too small 

What!? I guess I would have to work toward returning to 130 or 140 pounds in order to fit those clothes. I need to lose weight regardless. Anyway, thank you for informing me of this. 

Switch Accessory update.

Brooks Dock

I went back to my regular dock. Maybe it was coincedence but I came home from work yesterday and I couldn't get my Switch to come on. Everything was fine after a hard reset though. So I went back to my old dock. I was considering it anyway though. I liked the new doc and it's GC controller ports. However, for some reason the Switch wouldn't turn my TV when it awoke from rest mode in that dock. 

Binbok Joycons

In other news, I've been on a quest to find a pair of Joycon replacements with a good D-Pad. Standard Joycons are too small for me to enjoy portable play for extended periods. The first pair I got where fine, buttons were okay, sticks were good, feel was bit cheap but they had most of the Joycon features. unfortunately the D-Pad was trash. I could give up HD rumble, IR, and Amiibo support but I have to have a good D-Pad. Still they are solid, if you don't care about the D-Pad.

https://www.amazon.com/Controller-Compatible-Adjustable-Replacement-Ergonomic/dp/B08QJ3HXZT/ref=sr_1_2?crid=S4HH8N5BSETJ&dchild=1&keywords=binbok+joycon&qid=1616795630&sprefix=binbok%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-2

Vivefox "NES" Joycons

The second pair that I ordered were from Vivefox. No one had ordered them on Amazon at the time, so I had to just wing it for $50 bones. They had a cool NES style motif and while they looked like regular joycons, they were larger, and had a D-pad. The standard cons are present on these as well. No HD Rumble (just standard), no Amiibo support, and no IR support.  The sticks are fine. The binbok analogs are more akin to 360/Xbox One analogs which I liked. These Vivefox sticks are like a half way point in between the smaller Joycon analogs and larger 360/Xbox One style analog sticks. So I prefer them to the standard ones, but I liked the binbok analogs more. That said, the D-Pad is actually good. I'd searched online and just about every option I found had people saying "it's pretty good, except for the D-pad". The bad news is there are gone. Like the Amazon page just isn't there anymore. I'd actually, based off of initial impressions, recommend them for people with larger hands that wanted a good D-Pad. Here is what they look like though.

41ucHQ+lMYL._SS400_.jpg

Edited by Darc_Requiem

sheeeeittttt, Monster Hunter Rise is now mine---physical edition from Walmart (haha 49.99 instead of 59.99!), of course.

Now comes the tough part of finding time between this, Kingdoms of Amalur, Curse of the Dead Gods, ESO on xb1, Outriders when it hits next week(!!), and countless other games.

edit---annnnd there's the new season of Diablo 3 that hits next week too!  There's too much going on at the same time. 😆

Edited by MillionX
  • iStu X changed the title to The Nintendo Switch Thread: Mario’s execution set for 3/31
On 3/27/2021 at 9:55 AM, MillionX said:

sheeeeittttt, Monster Hunter Rise is now mine---physical edition from Walmart (haha 49.99 instead of 59.99!), of course.

Now comes the tough part of finding time between this, Kingdoms of Amalur, Curse of the Dead Gods, ESO on xb1, Outriders when it hits next week(!!), and countless other games.

edit---annnnd there's the new season of Diablo 3 that hits next week too!  There's too much going on at the same time. 😆

They raped the only viable DH build.

And they STILL are not giving us a fourth Kanai Slot.

So Imma skip this season too.

That's 2 in a row... 😕

That said, depending on the reviews, Imma be all over Outriders.

Because Borderlands 3 sucked, and continues to suck, applying more and more jagged tooth at every opportunity.

Edited by JHDK

yeah 4th Kanai cube slot should've been a permanent thing.  It opened up some interesting new builds....anything that facilitates new builds is always welcome, imo.  This past D3 season is the first one where I took it all the way, actually... I completed every challenge on the season journey thing...the last thing I did was the "Boss Mode" where you have to beat most of the game's bosses within a certain short period of time....that's a tough one since some of that depends on the player's luck with what kind of map layout is generated...and some of them take a long time to get to; obviously a speed-oriented build is absolutely necessary there.  I got it done with a Demon Hunter GoD build.

Season ended now, so I noticed those seasonal characters merged into my family of off-season characters... haha I have 82 Greater Rift keys now... insane... up to 830 paragon points now.

Edited by MillionX

...it still amazes me that Nintendo themselves haven't done official "NES theme" or "SNES" theme designs for the system, dock, and controllers... you know it would sell like crazy....I'd especially jump at SNES designs for the whole thing.

That link also informed me of something, actually---I was not aware that you can use a Pro Controller with the Switch Lite..!?  That makes it not so bad, but I would still most likely just get a "regular" Switch when/if I get a 2nd one in the near future.  

On another note---I really miss those pre-pandemic days when we actually went to a building to work, and how nicely the Switch fit that situation... say the work system(s) goes down for a while; boom it's game-time right there at my desk.  Break-time = game time.  Lunch hour = game-time, either in a lobby or the break room, or outside in my car, or on a park bench by the building, in the drive-thru line at a restaurant while on lunch-hour, etc. etc.  This was my daily situation ever since this legendary system launched 4 years ago.

Edited by MillionX