Stage Select

The DC Movie & TV Thread

19 minutes ago, Wellman said:

Eh, maybe not all time but I would easily put The Suicide Squad as one of the top five in the DCEU and post The Dark Knight. 

Too bad it's getting hit with the Dredd effect. Karl Urban's Dredd was great. No one saw it because of Stallone's Judge Dredd. I only rented Dredd after my friend raved about it myself. It seems like The Suicide Squad is paying for Suicide Squad's sins.

4 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Too bad it's getting hit with the Dredd effect. Karl Urban's Dredd was great. No one saw it because of Stallone's Judge Dredd. I only rented Dredd after my friend raved about it myself. It seems like The Suicide Squad is paying for Suicide Squad's sins.

Yeah, I don't get why companies or creators choose certain names for things. Frankly DC/Warner Media has a habit of bad names for their movies, between naming this just "The Suicide Squad" and naming the clearly Harley Quinn focused movie originally Birds of Prey, only to later rename it, they just keep messing up with these movies featuring Harley Quinn which is a shame because old girl is fantastic. She isn't the only good thing in the film but she remains their best casting.

4 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Kind of a tangemt, but i was like your friend, pestering everyone to watch Urban's Dred.

Loved the movie, and find tragic that not many people saw it.

Dunno why, but Urban is one of those actors that gives me hope for any movie or project he is involved with, you could say that i am kind of a fangirl lol.

Is the same for any John Cusack project, lol

And yeah, TSS is paying for the sins of SS and Harley Queen imo, even maybe for WW8X because that movie was also a crappy.

I have heard that it could be also paying for the whole WB Snyder fiasco, where people have given up on the DCEU altogether 

10 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I'm hoping that the positive word of mouth it's receiving can give it a boost. That movie deserves success

4 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

I haven't seen it yet, but imo they should have...

1) Not put it on HBO Max. That is cutting into theatrical profits. 

2) Given it a different name that wasnt so subtle.  I would have done "Suicide Squad: Subtitle."

1) WB has been doing that will all of their theatrical releases. It payoff big for them when it came to Godzilla vs Kong and Mortal Kombat. If it worked for those films it could have worked for this movie.

2) The movie definitely should have gotten a subtitle. The current title isn't different enough

2 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

I haven't seen it yet, but imo they should have...

1) Not put it on HBO Max. That is cutting into theatrical profits. 

2) Given it a different name that wasnt so subtle.  I would have done "Suicide Squad: Subtitle."

Cutting into theatrical profits means nothing to me. All that money goes to DC anyways. It just looks bad because everyone gets to write their shitty " it's flopping" clickbait titles and try and pretend they have metrics to streaming numbers when those aren't given out and so they use voodoo to guess it. 

7 hours ago, Hecatom said:

So, i was reading that DC has decided to make Dick a bisexual now, smfh, is the whole Iceman fiasco all over again.

Except it isn’t.

1) It’s Tim Drake, not Dick Grayson.

2) Tim has been hinted as bisexual for years and years. All the Urban Legends did was confirm it. 

Bobby Drake was never hinted at being gay. Bendis just used his bad female relationships as excuse to make him gay. Which while yes, was initially panned it’s now a beloved part of his character 

Edited by iStu X

the biggest reason why anyone shouldnt cry about this is...dc comics hates tim drake. like for the past 15-20 years they've repeatedly tried to get rid of him. they have done nothing with his character for so long and tried to make him into another dick when they killed his family which was absolutely not needed. it was one of the unique things about him and dc went....not sad enough.

you know dc hates tim because hes basically the only bat family member to not appear in any modern animated movie.

OK hear me out: Suicide Squad 3, Bloodsport gets stuck on Earth 3 (Crime Syndicate) and Waller sends another squad to get him back like in the comics 👀

Of course, you'd have to get Cavil, Gadot, Affleck and the rest back to play the evil Justice League. Don't mind me, having a nerd moment lol

39 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Being bisexual isn’t being gay. 

This is what the writer said via polygon

“And for those itching to update various fan-wikis and lists, Fitzmartin says that Tim hasn’t put a label on himself yet — nor does this story delegitimize his decades-long off-again-on-again relationship with fellow teen superhero Stephanie Brown/Spoiler.

“I wanted to pay tribute to the fact that sexuality is a journey,” Fitzmartin told Polygon. “To be clear, his feelings for Stephanie have been/are 100% real, as are his feelings for Bernard. However, Tim is still figuring himself out. I don’t think he has the language for it all... yet.””

So this guy didn't even commit to the change. 

10 hours ago, iStu X said:

Except it isn’t.

1) It’s Tim Drake, not Dick Grayson.

2) Tim has been hinted as bisexual for years and years. All the Urban Legends did was confirm it. 

Bobby Drake was never hinted at being gay. Bendis just used his bad female relationships as excuse to make him gay. Which while yes, was initially panned it’s now a beloved part of his character 

Eh, Bobby being into guys was a almost line decades before Bendis used it. Like with him being one of the most powerful mutants in the world, but no one really used it until Marvel wanted to make a splash.

Tim being Bi does come out of nowhere to a large degree but Tim getting any story  lines these days is sort of better than limbo. I also want to say they have alluded/teased more to Stephanie Brown his long time love interest being Bisexual more then he ever was. But since they brought in Damian to be Robin, Tim has been in limbo with little to no direction. This probably won't help get him more run but it adds to him for a moment while they hype him revealing it.

Hopefully they don't fuck it up by someone like Batman saying something dumb like he knew along he was Bi. It would be funny but a terrible way to have that conversation go.

4 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

This is what the writer said via polygon

So this guy didn't even commit to the change. 

You don't have to commit. He more or less can see where his feelings go and it doesn't have to stay in one place.  Sexuality is more fluid and feelings on who you love change as you change. Just because he loves steph doesn't mean he always has or always will. It also doesn't mean he can't see if that's where he wants to be forever. 

Also steph and Tim have had this dumb journey imo. Like what's it really brought eachother. Change this bitch up. Let's see where it goes. Again the batman Fandom has not been screaming for new Tim shit, DC hasn't been screaming for new Tim shit. 

32 minutes ago, Maxx said:

You don't have to commit. He more or less can see where his feelings go and it doesn't have to stay in one place.  Sexuality is more fluid and feelings on who you love change as you change. Just because he loves steph doesn't mean he always has or always will. It also doesn't mean he can't see if that's where he wants to be forever. 

Also steph and Tim have had this dumb journey imo. Like what's it really brought eachother. Change this bitch up. Let's see where it goes. Again the batman Fandom has not been screaming for new Tim shit, DC hasn't been screaming for new Tim shit. 

It seems to me that the writer has given Tim an out in the event another writer doesn't want to follow up on it. 

I want Tim to get another book. His Robin book was good. The Red Robin book pre-52 was great. 

54 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

It seems to me that the writer has given Tim an out in the event another writer doesn't want to follow up on it. 

I want Tim to get another book. His Robin book was good. The Red Robin book pre-52 was great. 

It's dc being pussy. If shit goes sideways from the Fandom they can backtrack its a soft reboot move lol 

At this point I'm over this type of nonsense it is to be expected. Co-opting existing characters because of a lack of creativity is par for the course. Creating new characters or promoting existing characters that already have the aspects you wish to cover is too much hard work apparently. You don't get that get of jail free card when people push back on something original. Got to have "the fan's are (insert -ist here) trap card " to explain people being dissatisfied with the content they produce.  

Edited by Darc_Requiem
2 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Season 3 of Titans is trying to do too much. I don't like that they killed off Jason and brought him back the very next episode. They didn't gave his death time to sink in. I also hate how obvious it is that Scarecrow is pulling strings. 

I'm not sure how I feel about the season yet, but at least Starfire's wardrobe is one point. 👍🏾

I just saw The suicide Squad in the theatre.

Pros:

Feels like a Guardians meets Deadpool type of film. good humor mixed with violence,

Character backstory for Ratcatcher 2. She was my favorite character in the film. The banter between Peacemaker and Bloodsport was funny too. This is probably Margot Robbie's best outing as Harley imo.  Joel Kinnaman as Flagg is most improved from last time.

Cons

The soundtrack wasnt as memorable as Guardians.

Nitpiick: The main characters arent as  "super scummy" as some from the first film. You almost forget they're villains and more simple outcasts.

Overall:  8/10

A major step up from SS1, though in some ways it is a R-rated Guardians for DC

So I finally watched the 3rd Episode of Titans......bruh....

Spoiler

You don't recover from shit like that. Dove got hit with that Joker Injustice tech. Got tricked into killing the person she loved. If she would have waited everything would have been okay. Side note: The dude playing Superboy has been lifting since last season dude is noticeably bigger.

3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Hide contents

You don't recover from shit like that. Dove got hit with that Joker Injustice tech. Got tricked into killing the person she loved. If she would have waited everything would have been okay. Side note: The dude playing Superboy has been lifting since last season dude is noticeably bigger.

What I don't entirely get is WHY he's specifically doing this to the Titans. He got himself fucked after you-know-who told him not to go. I get they kinda abandoned him but he's going to far. I'm sure they'll explain it eventually tho

4 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

What I don't entirely get is WHY he's specifically doing this to the Titans. He got himself fucked after you-know-who told him not to go. I get they kinda abandoned him but he's going to far. I'm sure they'll explain it eventually tho

Spoiler

I mean it seems like he's being manipulated by Scarecrow. They didn't add him to the show just to sit in a cell at Arkham.

1 minute ago, Darc_Requiem said:
  Hide contents

I mean it seems like he's being manipulated by Scarecrow. They didn't add him to the show just to sit in a cell at Arkham.

Didn't consider that angle, I figured it was just a dick. But he was using and cooking up a certain toxin, so I could definitely see the connection now that you mention it

9 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I thought it was dumb of her to do. She showed no faith in her companions. Dick told her that Superboy figured out the frequency and she still pulled the trigger. Then she and Dick just let Jason get away after all that. 

Even when they reveal the Scarecrow is pulling strings I don't see how Jason can come back.

2 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:
  Hide contents

I thought it was dumb of her to do. She showed no faith in her companions. Dick told her that Superboy figured out the frequency and she still pulled the trigger. Then she and Dick just let Jason get away after all that. 

Even when they reveal the Scarecrow is pulling strings I don't see how Jason can come back.

I agree...

Spoiler

On the former. Superboy, who I like what they're doing with so far, would have save him. There were 5 beats left and he was just outside the door 😑 As far as the latter, Jason has seemingly gained the Batman ability to disappear if you turn your head for a second.

I caught up....  first, where is my girl Rachel????

Second, this arent rookie cops, even my mom knows not to do what the bad guy is asking ffs. Third, damn son. I liked the character. Titans is getting annoyingly rushed with 2-3 seasons material getting crammed in 10 episodes

Edit: is it me or is Dove's accent thicker this season?? 

Edited by locoghoul