Stage Select

The DC Movie & TV Thread

Just now, BornWinner said:

Would AT&T also had a hand in that with CNN+ being shut down a month after it’s release? I’m not too sure how that works.

CNN+ was already failing before being closed.

Closing it 3 weeks after its release actually was a good call, because otherwise they would have been racking more unnecessary debt.

Ok, so reading about the rumor regarding folding HBO Max.

The reasoning is because between the 2 services, HBO Max and Discovery+, Discovery+ is the one with more subscribers and the one that is cheaper.

And both services have comparable growth curves.

The idea would be, at least according to the rumor, for HBO to return to the usual way they have made business, where they make content for TV/Cable, and the content will be at later date put on Discovery+

And For Warner to pivot to theater releases instead of trying to do content for a stream service/ hybrid releases with both theater and streaming.

https://thedirect.com/article/dc-marvel-warner-bros-plan

Warner Bros. Announces 10-Year DC Movie Plan Will Mirror Marvel

Warner Bros. has been trying to get a DC Cinematic Universe off the ground for over a decade now, particularly since Disney found great success with the Marvel Cinematic Universe. This grand plan started with Man of Steel but began to fall apart after Zack Snyder departed 2017's Justice League and bid farewell to his Lord of the Rings-inspired plan for an epic DC saga.

In the five years since the Justice League incident, DC has been trying to get things back on track but never really found the cohesion of a cinematic universe. Progress has in part been hindered by the absence of Henry Cavill's Superman and Ben Affleck's Batman, who should be the faces of this universe, and yet haven't appeared in five years.

With the Warner Bros. Discovery merger now complete, many are eager to see how the new management plans to handle DC. There have been some worrying signs after the cancelation of Batgirl, but new comments have revealed a bigger plan for the future.

DC Makes MCU-Inspired Future Plans

During the Warner Bros. Discovery Q2 Earnings Call, CEO David Zaslav revealed that "DC is at the top of the list" of its plans moving forward as they attempt to mirror Marvel Studios' methods.

DC's top heroes are said to be seen as a "big opportunity" for the company moving forward. Additionally, Zaslav confirmed they will be building "a team with a ten-year plan focusing just on DC," similar to what Disney did with Marvel Studios and Kevin Feige: 

"As we look at the opportunities that we have broadly, DC is at the top of the list for us. You look at Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman, these are brands that are known everywhere in the world and the ability to drive those all over the world with great stories is a big opportunity for us. We have done a reset. We've restructured the business where we're going to focus. There will be a team with a ten-year plan focusing just on DC. It's very similar to the structure that Alan Horn and Bob Iger put together very effectively with Kevin Feige at Disney."

Zaslav also shared his goals to "focus on quality" to ensure projects are only being released when they are completely ready:

"We think that we can build a long-term, much stronger, sustainable growth business out of DC. And as part of that we're going to focus on quality, we're not going to release any film before it's ready. We're not going to release a film to make a quarter, the focus is going to be 'how do we make these films in general as good as possible?' But DC is something we think we could make better, and we're focusing on it now."

What is the Future of DC Movies?

Warner Bros. Discovery's new management appears eager to completely reinvigorate the studio's approach to DC moving forward. The studio looks to be aware of the potential the DC brand has to compete with Marvel in the coming years by finally utilizing its biggest heroes properly.

This goal of forming a creative team to plan out the next ten years of DC will likely come with the appointment of a Kevin Feige-like leader to oversee it all. Zaslav's search to appoint this leader will undoubtedly be a thorough one as he searches for someone worthy of entrusting Warner Bros.'s biggest brand.

Clearly, this new management knows that the approach up until now has been a mess and believes the biggest faces such as Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman deserve more spotlight. The promise of having done a "reset" is certainly an interesting one, as there is currently no telling whether this refers only to behind-the-scenes structure or also hints at a DCEU reboot.

Not only that but the comments on a focus on quality ought to reassure those who are worried this will lead to attempts to ramp up production on too many projects too quickly. Perhaps Warner Bros. will be willing to play the long game to build a universe on par with the MCU gradually.

WB may attempt to hold onto the current universe, reboot the franchise altogether, or possibly expand off Matt Reeves' The Batman world; in every scenario, big changes are coming. Maybe Comic-Con 2023 will finally be DC's big break as it's able to offer a blockbuster Hall H presentation that sets out a vision for the future after The Flash.

DC's next release will be Dwayne Johnson's Black Adam which hits theaters on October 21. 

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@iStu X

Every time I see that costume I think "90 million dollars and your costume looks worse than  CW costumes done on a shoe string budget....WTF"

I actually dig it, if its an origin movie like it looks like then Barbara made that at home. It should look kinda cheap. I kinda prefer when the "I made it at home" look is used for the early costumes. I really hate in the first Raimi Spider-man movie how Peter just has an amazing Spider-man suit out of no where that he acquires during a screen wipe lol. Tom Holland on the other hand had a red hoodie, blue pants and some goggles lol.

Like i dunno i see that as her intro suit, and we knew she met Batman, he probably hooks her up with better duds by the end of the flick.

Im spitballing of course, i just dunno, everyones being so hard on a movie we only get to see through production shots and no movie, no matter its budget, looks good in production shots and production filming. Avengers movies are 95% green in Production shots.

But then this is what WB is giving us for the movie so its what can be judged. I feel bad for the people who made the thing. Everyones shitting on you and your work because they are only getting to see it in the worst light possible. That's gotta suck.

Edit: Oh and fuck Ezra Miller, I don't believe him for a single second.

Edited by RSG3

@RSG3I get why you find the costume appealing but for me it just doesn't work. I think your reasoning is the same reason I like Tom Holland's origin costume. It looked home made. Barbara's lacks that charm for me. It looks to well made for improvised costume for me and not well enough made to look cool. It's in costume "uncanny valley" for me.

I see what you are saying about Batgirl but at least everyone got paid. If the movie is as bad as it's implied, it maybe better off for those involved that it goes unseen. More often than not, a really bad movie can stick with an actor in a bad way. The actor could be talent but the script or direction could be poor and the actor gets the blame. Kinda of like waitress getting yelled at because the cook fucked up the meal.

Oh and fuck Ezra Miller, I don't believe him for a single second.

^^^^It just needed to be stated again for emphasis. I agree completely man. That dude should be behind bars. How he didn't get locked up in Hawaii for all the shit he pulled is beyond me.

I would've written Jonathan out of s3 until he was ready to return. If he for some reason he didn't come back after a season off, I'd finally recast. I don't see anyone filling his shoes tbh

Maybe the writing will be so strong it won't be such a big blow losing him, will still hurt regardless 

27 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

I would've written Jonathan out of s3 until he was ready to return. If he for some reason he didn't come back after a season off, I'd finally recast. I don't see anyone filling his shoes tbh

Maybe the writing will be so strong it won't be such a big blow losing him, will still hurt regardless 

Not sure of the accuracy, but after doing a little digging. He checked himself into a mental health facility. I guess he's stressed out. So it wasn't a planned exit from what I can tell.

On 8/17/2022 at 9:00 AM, Darc_Requiem said:

Not sure of the accuracy, but after doing a little digging. He checked himself into a mental health facility. I guess he's stressed out. So it wasn't a planned exit from what I can tell.

I also heard the actor who plays Jordan stopped following him on Instagram. If that is true it must be some more stuff going on.

On 8/16/2022 at 9:44 AM, axeman61 said:

Plus, Ezra was flying across the globe whupping ass like it was Street Fighter 2.

I don't believe the movie should be scrapped (b/c a ton of other people worked on it and it's supposed to be good), but fuck Ezra unless they get all the help and totally reform themselves.

Even though it would be a PR nightmare I want to see him recast as reverse flash.

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

Rumor has it that they don't even have money to release the movies that they are pushing for a later date.

I knew that WB (and other studios) had financial problems, but if is true, damn, what did they do to lose so much money 🤣

Releasing movies day 1 on HBO Max for one thing. They gave away hundreds of millions of dollars with that decision.

I looked into the Green Latern based off the famous mural. Per the artist of the original cover, said muralist’s estate didn’t like the homage and there could have been some legal troubles if it was the final print. 

Still doesn’t justify the bland flag and carrying a bag of tamales of all things. 

What amuses me is that this "hispanic" heritage celebration give3s credence to this comedy sketch from some years ago, where the presenter informs that there are more Mexicos besides Mexico Mexico,  like Football mexico aka Brasil, Shakira's Mexico aka Colombia, Mexico under dictatorship aka Venezuela, etc