Stage Select

The DC Movie & TV Thread

1 hour ago, BornWinner said:

I don’t know the full story of why everyone was disliking the Michael Keaton Batman movie, but everyone’s now upset when they revealed what it will be about.

Fuck, I’m upset too. Beyond is my favorite DC show at the moment. Would’ve been cool to see how this would turn out.

Keep in mind that this is one of the ideas proposed.

Another one was "Batman Beyond" but with Batgirl 🤣

2 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Considering they cancelled the batgirl movie for being awful, I doubt it would have been cool.

I have my doubts that movie was canceled for being bad, too much weird shit happened around it for it to just be that imo. 

Besides one project being mediocre doesn't mean the other will be to. 

Edited by RSG3
4 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Considering they cancelled the batgirl movie for being awful, I doubt it would have been cool.

The fact that Zaslav took a tax write off and destroyed all copies of the film, so it can never be shown, over releasing it speaks volumes. It had to be pretty damned terrible. This type of occurrence is highly uncommon. Even if studio thinks a film is crap, they drop to try and recoup something for their money.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
42 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Yea but your cynical so that doesn't mean much to me. I have my doubts that movie was canceled for being bad, too much weird shit happened around it for it to just be that imo. 

Besides one project being mediocre doesn't mean the other will be to. 

With the awful track record that DC and many other studios had you can't blame me for being cynical.

Seeing the info we had and the direction they were going for based on said information and what they did let us know is really easy to infer that something bad was brewing with the project, that the studio itself has pretty much accepted although tacitly that the movie was brand damaging potential even after releasing some awful movies in the past (like the godawful Birds of Pray and the mediocre WW84) and even pressing on with Flash and Aquaman that have been very well documented with having to deal with extensive reshoots that go beyond what is standard in the industry, even for movies trying to retool a project with major issues, paints the Batgirl movie and any other subsequent one using it as a foundation to move on as having to be really awful.

Is rare that a studio manages to make a good sequel coming from a bad 1st movie, specially if the 1st movie establishes the story threads that now you need to make sense of to tell the new story.

And even if the studio manages to do it, it can end like what happened with The Suicide Squad coming from Suicide Sqaud, that in a good part, the reason why it did bad was because that the damage was already done and not many people gave the new one a chance at least on theaters.

Like Darc said, no studio has ever gone with a tax write off with a basically complete movie (at least in recent times), since they always see some form of value on releasing it at least as content for direct to dvd/streaming, like what Disney did with Artemis Fowl.

Then add that they are more willing to deal with potential business fallouts with actors, directors and other creatives for this move than with releasing the movie.

The previous administration did some really bad decisions across the board in both creative and financial sides of the business that the current one is forced to take drastic measures to clean house and try to salvage the whole studio.

57 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Whichnid why I don't think quality has much to do with it. They canceled everything regardless of quality. 

True, but the key difference here is that what was cancelled that wasn't due quality was because it didn't brought numbers on the streaming services that they were out already.

Meanwhile Batgirl is the only case that was specifically cited by sources to be due the brand damaging potential it had, and yeah, one could argue that we don't know how trusted the sources can be, but this is something that it was universally cited by every outlet, some using sources of their own, so the info about the quality of batgirl being bad comes from multiple sources, like people working on the studio and people who attended the screenings.

In fact, is the only movie of all the unreleased productions that has been specifically cited as the reason why it was canned.

And in fact it lines up and makes sense with the current actions they have taken.

If the movie that is supposedly entering post production has enough quality issues that will require extensive reshoots and retooling of what it haves to make sense for any potential change to the current structure of the movie that said costs are more than just writing what is already spent as tax off, is worth pursuing, yeah, Is pretty obvious that quality was one of the major factors here.

Then add that before the cancellation the movie was already planned to do reshoots due the switcheroo that Warner did with how they will release their movies when they moved Flash after Aquaman.

Where they planned to reshoot the Keaton scenes with Affleck, between other things that we assume was par of the course at the time.

Which btw, according to the supposed leaks monthd prior the cancellation and then after the cancellation, from unrelated sources of many sites, the Keaton appearance was apparently a glorified cameo that supposedly would have been expanded on the "Batman Beyond" movie.

In the end, was it salvageable? That shit we don't know, but certainly at its current cut, the movie was seen as better put on the chopping block than being released.

Edited by Hecatom

Wow, so does this mean that all of the DC TV shows are now canceled soon as well? Sucks. So it is true that if an organization gets too big then it will fail. Just look at what happened to WCW when Turner merged with Time Warner and the likes. Time Warner is the same Warner as now. So yeah, they killed WCW so now they're killing DC as well...

1 hour ago, Jion_Wansu said:

Wow, so does this mean that all of the DC TV shows are now canceled soon as well? Sucks. So it is true that if an organization gets too big then it will fail. Just look at what happened to WCW when Turner merged with Time Warner and the likes. Time Warner is the same Warner as now. So yeah, they killed WCW so now they're killing DC as well...

If you mean the CW shows, they were already doomed as soon as the network was sold for $0 due never being profitable.

If you mean the shows on HBO Max, it will depend, if they were done under the HBO Max Umbrella, then they will very likely be cancelled.

If they are under the HBO or Warner umbrella then they still could have a chance.

The reason why a lot of stuff is being cancelled is due mismanagement of the previous administration.

A lot of studios have been bleeding money for quite some time, and covid didn't help the situation, then those who entered the streaming wars they added extra financial burden to their already stressed financial situation.

The current administration is cleaning house and trying to salvage the studio and the other subsidiaries under the Warner umbrella.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/06/david-zaslav-warner-bros-discovery-cash-flow-debt.html

While Warner is one of the most well known cases, studios like Paramount, Disney, etc are facing similar problems, is pretty much a general problem on the hollywood industry, with maybe only Universal being one of the more healthy ones right now.

1 hour ago, DangerousJ said:

https://www.superherohype.com/movies/523242-james-gunn-is-writing-a-young-superman-movie

Gunn is writing new Supes film. 

It will be a young Clark at the Daily Planet centric film - No Smallville.

No director attached yet.

I get it, but I hate how Hollywood is dicking Cavil around lately. He's been nothing but patient and professional, he deserves better tbh

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

We don't really know if this was Gunns decision or Zaslaws or what. ..but yea whoever made it did not read the room well agreed. 

Fair point. I have heard that Zaslav had to be convinced to keep Cavill and after Black Adam underwhelmed he changed his mind.

Edit: @GimpyDidn't realize she was married to Gunn. I can't fault the man's taste.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
3 hours ago, HD-Man said:

Yea, I'm with Joe. We've seen Superman's origin story almost as many times as Batman and Spiderman, at this point its unnecessary, just get to the good shit if you're gonna reboot

We already losing Cavil, atleast don't make us suffer through Krypton blowing up and Clark being a bumbling fuck around Lois again. Let's jump right into Braniac or something 

Your second paragraph reminds me of this...

DC making yet another mistake as they try to fix them. I heard they want Momoa as Lobo which may be a good idea on paper, but the bullet has been fired and all that's going to do is remind viewers of their past failures. You can't play the Chris Evans/Josh Brolin card because DC has always been under the same house. You pretty much need a Crisis movie if you want to go this direction and for that you need Cavill as Superman. Then with him as the 'eye of the storm' you can have Momoa as Aquaman in one scene and then as Lobo in the other, like in the JL cartoon where Jon Stewart suddenly turned into Hal Jordan due to the timelines falling apart and then back again.

On 12/16/2022 at 4:50 PM, Dragonfave723 said:

Sigh.

Meanwhile Ezra Miller is breaking into peoples homes on multiple to occasions to steal or threaten the occupants wife with violence. Grooming underage girls. Hitting women in the heads with chairs. Choke slamming women on video. I'm sure you noticed the theme. Johnny Depp is getting the vitriol that should be thrown Ezra's way. One guy has a pattern of abuse against women and gets to stay in Fantastic Beasts and DC. The other damning audio of his former spouse admitting to hitting him, admitting that she can't promise it won't happen again, and admitting that she made up her allegations at the suggestion of her lawyers. Yet gets booted from Fantastic Beasts and Pirates of the Caribbean. Hmm.....what is the difference between the two... 🤔

TLDR: If you want to abuse women and get away with it, claim you're non-binary. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
On 12/14/2022 at 8:41 PM, Lantis said:

There isn't even a Black Adam sequel in the works, so I dunno why Rock was making such bold claims of "changing the DC hierarchy"

This is me guessing, but perhaps his claim was more true/valid before the merger and perhaps even valid during the time that Gunn was starting to take charge of DC on film.

Everything points out that scrapping everything was Zaslav's idea after a lot of things happening both behind the scenes plus Black Adam underperforming.

In fact, supposedly it was the plan from the start, but he was convinced to do otherwise, and only going back with the original plan after everything that happened.

Just now, Darc_Requiem said:

The Rock essentially campaigned to have Cavill back for years. DC brought him back for the Black Adam cameo. So it looked like the hierarchy had changed. Then the leadership changed and they walked back the Man of Steel 2 decision. Abrams had wanted to get rid of Cavill when he was working on his Superman project during the interim.

Word.

Tangent.

I am surprised at how much Bad Robot has encroached multiple studios with their talentless hacks.

And the worst thing is that studios have let them do their usual shtick of allowing them to enter, change stuff, just enough so it can be considered distinct enough to be an original creation they 90% of the time have co ownership, all while having multi year contracts that force the studios to have them around with those new projects so they can reap royalties and contract money all while destroying the franchises they are brought to work on.

I guess the hype of Jar Jar Abrahams being the next Spielberg is still strong on Hollywood, lol.