Stage Select

The DC Movie & TV Thread

I just saw Shazam.

I have no experience with the character in the comics so I dont know accurate or inaccurate it is.

I really liked it.
It felt like a mix of a MCU fiim and the early Spider-man films by Sam Raimi.

Pros:

Humor

the relationship between Billy and Freddy

the other kids werent too sweet or annoying

THAT part in the final battle (A house divided turned on its head…)

Billy’s search for his mom and the resolution

the horror vibe in the opening scene and boardroom scene

Cons

Sivana is a somewhat weak villain.

There’s a feeling that that the training montage stuff be reduced a bit and Sivana/Billy conflict could have been introduced earlier

Overall: IMO This is a great film and has overtaken Aquaman as the second best film in the DCEU era. Who’d have thought these three characters would feature in the best post Nolan era?

8/10

• 2 weeks later...

FLASH

...sheeeeit this episode is a showcase of the lovely Jessica Parker Goddamn Kennedy..(*currently rated as the #2 of my Magnificent 5)...wooo lawd yes I could creepily star at this girl all day long, man.  She could piss on me if she wanted and I'm fine with that.  Her friend is alright too, though not on her level obviously.

This episode is showing how Nora got her power, btw...

• 4 weeks later...

holy SHIT bruh… Eobard Fuckin THAWN, man… Legendary Villain status confirmed. I think this has made up for last season, easily.  

This season finale was once again going all out, as Flash season finales tend to do.  Wow, man I'll have to watch that again later...

11 hours ago, MillionX said:

holy SHIT bruh… Eobard Fuckin THAWN, man… Legendary Villain status confirmed. I think this has made up for last season, easily.  

This season finale was once again going all out, as Flash season finales tend to do.  Wow, man I'll have to watch that again later...

Yeah I am surprised it ended the way it did.

17 minutes ago, misterBee said:

Seems ok to me.  It's not like the character this is based on was top tier to begin with.  Could be good -- keep an open mind! 😄

I have no issues with Batwoman. She is pretty cool character. However that trailer has killed my interest in the show. "That suit will be perfect when it fits a woman." "I don't want a man getting credit for a woman's work." She says this while having a man modify her cousins gear, who is also a man. When did people forget how to write strong female characters?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just finished Flash S5. 

SPOILERS!

Pros:

Nora. Even though she has stupid moments like Barry, I like her pluckiness and earnestness. She did a really good job in the finale in her death scene  and last message. And of course I would love to  hit and then sneak in my carryon for snacks later.

Iris doing some reporting shit and  NOT becoming Felicity vol.2

Thawne's subplot and his reveal /confrontation in the last episode. Made up for Cicadas shortcomings

Ralph being a good support character ( I wish he had more combat time) I hope he at least stays as a recurring character next season

Cisco getting some punani!

Cons:

Why was Joe missing for like 2/3 of the season? Was the actor sick or working on other projects? Joe West words of wisdom is the best part of this show

The Killer Frost/Icicle subplot was introduced then seemingly forgot about until the last few episodes. And of course he dies. Then the mom will become Cold Chocha next season. So predictable.  I was surprisingly expecting KF to kill young Grace in the finale in the old cabin after Nora got through to her especially since cicada 2 killed her dad. KF seems to be getting more diluted in her villainy/unpredictability.

Cicada the first. In terms of costume design AND acting, this was the low point. A hoodie, breathing mask and red pants with voice processing make you a badass?Also, Chris Klein aka NASH OUT, trying to look intimidating is like me trying to look intimidating while constipated. The older Grace version was a little better due to her powers and being a slightly better actor.  The dagger was a  better actor  than he was lol

I really didnt care for Sherloque and his romantic subplot. Seeing Tom as him and Thawne shows what his true role is on this show. Tom should only be Reverse Flash for the remainder of the show.  Speaking of which, couldnt they offer any reason why he looks lke Tom instead of Matt Letscher(the blonde actor aka Thawnes true form)?

Also, I think it was redundant for both Sherloque and Ralph to be there since theyre both detectives. Ralph could have got more screentime.

Cisco taking the meta cure. I could see Barry/Caitlin doing it, but Cisco taking it especially since he has suffered relatively the least compared to the others (except Ralph). It seems hollow. IF he couldn't touch anyone like rogue or looked like Beast, maybe I could understand but it seems like an artifcial way to begin to write him out of the show next season. I predict he will be in a few episodes here and there and then will have a heroic death in next seasons crossover event.

Overall: 7.5/10

Edited by DangerousJ
  • 2 weeks later...

y'know, it's good to see they fixed Flash's costume this season.  The head part was bulky and looked silly last season....now it would be perfect if the eye parts were a bit smaller and perhaps had the white covering like what is typically drawn on superhero comic characters...it's always bugged me that they RARELY have the solid white-eye part on a costume in live action...the result just never looks as cool as what you see in comics and animation then.  

I saw Joker on the weekend... the movie was goddamn incredible, man...it is definitely worth the hype people are buzzing about....if only the "Academy" would stop looking down their nose at anything comic-related for 5 minutes Joaquin should at least get a nomination for it...along with Todd Phillips for a "Best Director" nomination, imo.  There's a certain surprising revelation in there as well....then again it becomes questionable later though (and even saying that might be too much, actually***I'll just leave it at that); I loved absolutely everything about this movie.

...and surprisingly there's eye-candy even here, at least a little; Zazi B. is quite a cutie....I was a bit mesmerized by that one.

Edited by MillionX

I saw Joker.

Great film with Phoenix nailing it.

Pros

Phoenix's acting

The  music

The unreliable and ambiguous nature of some scenes

Misc:

Some folks have said it is extremely violent but I thought it was somewhat tame.

I think Ledger's Joker killed more in The Dark Knight.

The fact that it was treated seriously and was unexpected probably shocked people.

Films like Deadpool 1 and 2 had a lot more gore yet people didn't care bc it was funny.

Overall:8/10

One little tidbit there--- the police car that Joker was being taken in... I'm sure this is likely a bit of an easter egg; the license plate I remember had the numbers "9189" <--- reference to the 1989 film, perhaps? (though it was apparently NOT a "9-1-1989" release exactly..but it was the summer of 89; July if I recall; also one of the first movies I saw more than once while it was still in theaters at the time)  I may be reading too much into that little detail.

Another thing... I love how it wasn't exactly clear whether or not he was going to let the little guy go or not in that scene back at the apartment....hahah I doubt anyone in most audiences knew for sure what that guy's fate was going to be in the next 5 seconds; that uncertainty was awesome.

Edited by MillionX

ohhh the Batwoman is shaping up to be such a wonderful disaster; the new Hindenberg of superhero shows.  Apparently the ratings drop was 30% by episode 2. 😄  I almost feel bad for Ruby Rose because there must be some level of embarrassment there....she's the face of that show and this early on it already looks like a sinking ship if we're going by the ratings game.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2019 at 3:11 AM, MillionX said:

ohhh the Batwoman is shaping up to be such a wonderful disaster; the new Hindenberg of superhero shows.  Apparently the ratings drop was 30% by episode 2. 😄  I almost feel bad for Ruby Rose because there must be some level of embarrassment there....she's the face of that show and this early on it already looks like a sinking ship if we're going by the ratings game.

Happened to catch a Collider video discussing the CW DC shows, two of the three people weren't fans of the show thus far. Not even Collider is stanning for Batwoman.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

yeah the only CW DC show I regularly enjoy is Flash...even it's lame seasons have been better than the other shows.  I occasionally watched Arrow just to check on my baby, the lovely Felicity and Those Legs...and there's some other miscellaneous cuties on there too, as per the usual CW format of constant eye candy.  Oh, and there's League of Legends... I enjoyed the first 2 seasons or so, then I gradually fell out of watching it....but only because I have too many shows to keep up with, really....

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2019 at 6:24 AM, MillionX said:

yeah the only CW DC show I regularly enjoy is Flash...even it's lame seasons have been better than the other shows.  I occasionally watched Arrow just to check on my baby, the lovely Felicity and Those Legs...and there's some other miscellaneous cuties on there too, as per the usual CW format of constant eye candy.  Oh, and there's League of Legends... I enjoyed the first 2 seasons or so, then I gradually fell out of watching it....but only because I have too many shows to keep up with, really....

This season of Arrow has been straight fire. Best season since 5.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Batman Beyond regular Bluray set finally has a release date!  December 31,2019

https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Beyond-The-Complete-Series-Blu-ray/dp/B07YTD41C2?tag=bluray-036-20&linkCode=xm2&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It's basically the same as the deluxe (All 52 episodes, Return of the Joker film, and the special features) only with no funko statue and motion cards.

Here's an unboxing video

Edited by DangerousJ
  • 1 month later...

Arrow Series finale  (S8 Ep 10 )

SPOILERS!!!

They got everyone to return for the funeral except…

muthafukkin Deathstroke?

I guess when Winston was revealed to be Diggle’s step dad , the Stewart name should have triggered my Justice League sense. Woops.

Good finale. The part where young William gets kidnapped by John Byrne (lol) felt extraneous but w/e.

So who do you think the mysterious person was who restored JJ’s mind in 2040?
Connor? A new person?

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from Birds of Prey. I liked it.

Pros:

Margot as Harley. (IMO the best thing about Suicide Squad). Her zaniness and her gymnastics, and even her dramatic acting was great.

Action scenes.  John wick direction/choreography  made the movie significantly more enjoyable.

Song choices. Probably the best use of retro songs since Guardians of the Galaxy films 

Ewan McGregor as Black Mask. While he was campy in some parts, he could exude menace like that part where he told the girl to take off her dress. His mask looked cool too(wished it was in the film more)

the animated intro and quick text jokes/heads up display gags

Cons

This is a 2/3 Harley movie and 1/3 BOP film. The others get some decent backstory/character bits. I suppose Cassandra Cain was different than I thought; I thought she would be a mute badass(from what Ive read about her)  Huntress had the least screen time , though oddly her origin is more fleshed out  than the others oddly enough. 

Some of the time manipulation and rewinding by Harley is a bit weird. One segment in a police station almost got me confused for a bit since the flashback went WAY back. The pacing is a little off too.
The movie is only 1 hr 39 min without credits but felt like 2 hours.

I liked about 1/2 the jokes. They were clearly trying to emulate Deadpool, but I think DP jokes landed more satisfyingly.

Overall:  7.5/10.
I think it is equal to Aquaman.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

https://www.ign.com/articles/green-lantern-hbo-max-series-characters-revealed

"From HBO Max, DC, Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television comes a bold adaptation of the iconic comic book franchise, a saga spanning decades and galaxies. GREEN LANTERN will depict the adventures of a multitude of Lanterns, including Guy Gardner, Jessica Cruz, Simon Baz and Alan Scott — Earth’s first Green Lantern, who, true to the comics, is a gay man — and many more. The series will also include fan favorites such as Sinestro and Kilowog, and will also introduce new heroes to the ranks of the Green Lantern Corps."

So the main three Earth Lanterns won't be on the show. It's cool to see Jessica and Simon get some spotlight. 

Edited by Hawkingbird