Stage Select

The DC Movie & TV Thread

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

No you have it backwards. They had a problem with it too. The Mary Sue was disgusted that Wonder Woman basically raped a dude. Like I said....2020 man. It won't go quietly into the night.

Well, that is a new one, lol.

Perhhpas the issue is that is WW raping him? lol

3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

What would you call having sex with someone without their consent?

I would argue it wasn't him in that body so it wasn't his lack of consent. Yea sorry but his conscious was gone and replaced with someone elses. Wasn't his body at the time. I have issue with the Steve in another dudes body wish, but that wasn't rape. Wasn't his body anymore at the time. Specifically why i wanted them to adress they they stole the guys life, accident or not. He is no longer there, who knows where he was, but it easnt in that body. He was gone. Calling it rape is overly dramatic. There is a convo to be had there but rape ain't it. 

Edited by RSG3

I disagree. It's his body and it was used in ways he didn't consent to.  To top it off, to everyone else he was still there only Diana "saw" Steve. He didn't morph into Steve. If she got knocked up, Steve's DNA wouldn't show up in the paternity test. It's the equivalent of sleeping with a clinically braindead person. That person "isn't there" but it's still rape. Just because someone can't consent doesn't mean you can do what you want. Don't think we'll see eye to eye with this one.

Yea we won't see eye to eye on this at all because there's magic involved so it's nothing like a coma patient imo. Dudes soul was replaced. Him looking nothing like Steve doesn't matter to me because it's Steve's soul in there, not the other dudes. In fact him not looking like Steve is pretty irrelevant, other people don't see Steve but they see a hands-on man spending time with a beautiful woman. What they see doesn't matter. Yes there are implications that come with them sleeping together but rape ain't it, not for me. That's a drama queen push imo.  That's reaching really really far when there are easier less incendiary ways to talk about how fucking stupid that wish was interpreted by the stone. Doesnt help at sll that Diana didnt even vocalize her wish which everyone else had to do so we don't even know exactly what she wished for. Whole thing is so God damn wishy washy and vague so it can turn on a dime when it needs to. 

Edited by RSG3

I finally got to see Wonder Woman 1984 in the theatre. Only 3 peeps in there thankfully.

Pros:

Gals' performance is great

The opening Themyscira sequence

Chemistry between Steve and Diana

Music

Cons:

The film is 2hr 25 min without credits. Too long for a non team movie. There are stretches where the plot doesn't keep your interest.

The dreamstone was alluded to being one of the Gods, but I think they should have a flashback or an extra exposition scene. The scene where they go to the Indian guy w/dreads didnt work for me. Also, the rules governing it are too wacky and il defined. Steve inhabiting that guy's body was weird as is the ever changing rules of Lord's powers. 

This film didnt do a wonderful job with Cheetah imo. Wig is decent but the nerdy/clumsy character not wanting to be nerdy/clumsy feels like Jim carrey Riddler/Jamie foxx Electro. When she finally is in "beast mode" , it was a letdown. The scene is at night (to hide cgi)  and feels more like an excuse to have a physical fight.  the enmity between her and Diana is weak.   Cheetah should have been the primary villain in this film, not the "balrog"

There are few action scenes throughout. They are ok, but not as breathtaking as the No man land or training/beach invasion from WW 1.

Also, she doesnt use a sword or shield at all in this movie.

This movie wants to be emotionally resonant like the first one, but it doesnt earn it. When Steve dies again due to Diana revoking the wish, I didnt feel anything. When Max finds his son at the end, I didnt feel much. When seeing the trailer, I thought I would feel a lot more sympathetic for Cheetah during her transformation or they would somehow have Diana play a more direct role in her metamorphosis, but nah. Also,  they show cheetah as human at the end, but I seriously doubt Barbara would actively revoke her wish.  Also, the movie ends abruptly. So both villains get away scot free and Lord has no ill effects despite shown to have deteriorating health?

Overall: Just ok, due to Gal and some other bits, but a significant decline compared to the first one.

7/10

WW (2017) - 8.5/10

Edited by DangerousJ
2 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

So both villains get away scot free and Lord has no ill effects despite shown to have deteriorating health?

I think the explanation was that Maxwell requested people's health during his wishing spree at the end of the movie.

What bothers me is that he could have requested the health of someone with terminal cancer without even knowing it, and he would have ended it a lot more quickly.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Anyone catch the season premiere of Black Lightning? 

This season seems to be about personal stakes for everyone involved rather than anything grand. Jefferson called it quits after Henderson died. 

I didn't even know BL was back. I'll have to catch at some point. I'm under the weather at the moment. This headache makes it hard to focus on anything.

13 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Wonder if Hotstreak gonna be racist like his original version? And odd for a white dude to have waves, regardless, nice design 

Not waves. A fade though. 

I can easily see hot streak still being racist. It's weird alot of those old story lines can easily be updated or not changed one bit and it'd be fine. Richy can still be undercover gay in the hood. 

Buttt I can also see an updated version with blm/blue lives matter. Hotstreak being the son of abusive racist cop or something. Give him a possible redemption option of they wanna do that down the line. 

Edited by Maxx
35 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Not waves. A fade though. 

I can easily see hot streak still being racist. It's weird alot of those old story lines can easily be updated or not changed one bit and it'd be fine. Richy can still be undercover gay in the hood. 

Buttt I can also see an updated version with blm/blue lives matter. Hotstreak being the son of abusive racist cop or something. Give him a possible redemption option of they wanna do that down the line. 

I can see Richie's dad being a blue lives matter type. He was racist too. 

I don't understand this calarts style people keep claiming. I'm on Twitter alot and you get a bunch of past and present people and they don't look similar. It's cartoonist that's literally the only connecting tissue. Like no one looks like Steven universe. The aquaman image looks so different from Steven. It implies alot of motion and exaggeration in a still image. It's coming off as dynamic as fuck. I don't see what you guys see, maybe it's cause I actually draw I dunno 

4 hours ago, Maxx said:

I don't understand this calarts style people keep claiming. I'm on Twitter alot and you get a bunch of past and present people and they don't look similar. It's cartoonist that's literally the only connecting tissue. Like no one looks like Steven universe. The aquaman image looks so different from Steven. It implies alot of motion and exaggeration in a still image. It's coming off as dynamic as fuck. I don't see what you guys see, maybe it's cause I actually draw I dunno 

The art direction is an eyesore. I'm not gonna care how dynamic it is when it looks so ugly.

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Did anyone watch Superman & Lois? Much to my shock it was pretty good. It didn't seem like a CW show at all. You can tell it's more of an HBO Max deal. Even the way it was shot was different. It had the cinematography of a feature film. Legit shocked. They really did a good job with the suit as well. Dafuq happened here? 😮

Definitely, it doesn't feel or look like a CW show, and that's a GREAT thing. I want Flash to get this type of overhaul, 

Rumor time: DC wants to make a movie about a black Superman. I'm assuming Calvin Ellis. I'm so down for that 

@HD-Man Honestly I couldn't be more disinterested in a movie about Black Superman. I don't need Black versions of existing characters. If you want to do a "Black Superman" story then make an Icon movie. Of course that would require actually work. Nothing grinds my gears more than black versions of existing characters getting pushed when unique black characters get no shine. If I see movie about Val-Zod or Calvin Ellis before I see an Icon movie I'll be saltier than the Dead Sea (when it wasn't dried the fuck up. good job mankind).