Stage Select

The DC Movie & TV Thread

I just finished Harley Quinn  TAS Season 1 and 2 bluray set.

Pros:

It is a pretty funny show that pokes fun at modern superhero tropes and the modern social media age. Other than the 1966  Adam West Batman and Deadpool 1/2, I'm generally not into funny superhero shows. However, this one  is very entertaining.

Most of the characters are entertaining and have good designs and voice acting. King Shark is probably my favorite. I like how he is generally chill, but become savage in key moments. Also, I like that Batman and Joker aren't just running roughshod over it. The "haggard and low self esteem Gordon is funny , and also a nice change of pace from the stock "Good cop/loving father" he's usually depicted in other shows/movies. Seeing Bane being treated like crap by the other villains and his soft/caring sides in the pit crack me up. 

There's not much action but it is good when its there.

Cons

Even though this is a Harley Show, I feel like Im the least interested in her storylines. KS, Ivy, Gordon, and even Sy Borgman feel more interesting to me. 

The first season feels like a 13 episode take on "harley and Ivy" from Batman TAS.  Many team shows usually do some spotlight episodes with members of the supporting cast, and I wish this show would do that more often. We go to see KS go back to the Shark Kingdom only late into S2. Sy was hinted at having a mysterious past, but little has come of it.  

Clayface seems the least developed and his Shakespearean actor  bits seem less funny as time goes on.  IIRC they havent even said which version this one is. I'm guessing Basil Karlo but who knows.  Also, they need to be more creative with his powers in battles.

I dont like Penguins voice actor.

Miscellaneous:  This is one of the few streaming shows that I dont feel like binging compared to other superhero shows. I watched 2 episodes per day, but didnt feel the urge to watch more even though I had all the episodes available to me unlike folks watching it as it released.

Overall:  8/10

6 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

Clayface seems the least developed and his Shakespearean actor  bits seem less funny as time goes on.  IIRC they havent even said which version this one is. I'm guessing Basil Karlo but who knows.  Also, they need to be more creative with his powers in battles.

It has to be Karlo. He's the only Clayface that's an actor. 

On 2/26/2021 at 7:48 PM, Hawkingbird said:

Can't wait to see JJ throw a bunch of references at us to distract from the fact that plots don't develop and characters don't move past first gear. 

We already know how everything goes down and  I can't see how all the reshoots and additional footage is going to save what is (in my humble opinion) the weakest entry in the DC Universe's lineup. 

Unless its a totally new movie which I know it isn't....

I'm amazed the head honchos even green lighted this project but I guess that shows how much faith they have in Snyder as a director and the might of the DC fan base.

1 hour ago, Counterstrike said:

I can't see how all the reshoots and additional footage is going to save what is

Plus the poor choices in visual colors (everything looks like a dated COD game, all grey and browns, like a sepia filter was used), composition, awful CG effects that belong on a 90s era Graphics card box. Plus Snyder don't get or understand the source materials. 

2 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Static got a new origin. He got his powers from a BLM protest instead of a gang war

https://boundingintocomics.com/2021/03/02/dc-comics-retcon-sees-static-receive-powers-during-black-lives-matter-protest/

I've mentioned it before, everything about static has not changed. The same struggles every single one from the original comic still exists today. You don't have to change much at all

18 hours ago, HD-Man said:

Superman and Lois has no business being this good on the CW. It's like CW has nothing to do with the process of making it 

I just want to echo your opinion. I keep waiting for the CW to creep in. The interactions between the Kent brothers keeps surprising me. Everytime I expect some bullshit, they actually behave like real brothers. 

27 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I just want to echo your opinion. I keep waiting for the CW to creep in. The interactions between the Kent brothers keeps surprising me. Everytime I expect some bullshit, they actually behave like real brothers. 

I'll argue Superman having a emo son is the CW creeping in. You know there's going to be a love triangle between the brothers and Lana's daughter. 

Just now, Hawkingbird said:

Jordan gets emo over the dumbest shit. He really gonna give Clark shit for being Superman?

Yes. Teenagers get emotional about everything and will give their parents shit for anything. Being Superman ain't gonna save you from the realities of raising a teenage child. They will resent you at some point even if you can fly and bench press the planet. Shit they may resent you for exactly those reasons. 

51 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Jordan gets emo over the dumbest shit. He really gonna give Clark shit for being Superman? He insufferable. Clark only taking one son to the fortress is bad parenting. Learning about Krypton is Jonathan heritage too. Only taking Jordan is planting the seeds for force drama.

One of my friends from back in the day was probably the richest kid in school. His parents had a 3 story house and his room was the entire attic. Like his room was bigger that my whole family's home. They were moving to a new, bigger house, with 8 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms. Like it was just him, his parents, and his sister. They were each going to have their own bathrooms. Dude was hot because their new house didn't have an in ground pool. I looked at him as said "Dude, you dad is a lawyer. Your mom is  a psychologist. They just bought a big ass house before selling the one you are already in. They can afford have an in ground pool put in." 

21 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I'll argue Superman having a emo son is the CW creeping in

They gave Clark an emo kid!!

Oh no..no!!

That's the CW creeping in.

Why couldn't they just keep it to the best Superson:

Superboy_Jonathan_Kent.png

Well before DC aged him up and ruined him by turning him into an emo.

Edited by CDB2k20

The new Jennifer managed to preserve the chemistry she has a Anissa. That was my biggest worry with the recasting as they have the best relationship in the entire show. Jury still how she manages with everyone else. It seems she's going to have a completely different identity going forward. This is why I wish this recast wasn't a plot point. 

Edited by Hawkingbird
1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

The new Jennifer managed to preserve the chemistry she has a Anissa. That was my biggest worry with the recasting as they have the best relationship in the entire show. Jury still how she manages with everyone else. It seems she's going to have a completely different identity going forward. This is why I wish this recast wasn't a plot point. 

Yeah, she pulls off making me believe she's the same person with a different appearance. The scene with her and Anissa on the couch was top notch. Honestly she looks more like she could be Jefferson and Lynn's kid than China Anne Mclain. She's tall like Jefferson. Looks like she could be the daughter of an Olympic sprinter.

I just watch one of those Bat in the Sun fan films. Holy shit, that is the best live action version of Batman I've ever seen. The voice, the mannerisms, the chin, suit, they killed it

Id love to see it turned into a full blown show with financial backing, like watching a live action Arkham Asylum game. Very well done 

Edited by HD-Man