Stage Select

Monster Hunter World/Iceborne/Rise THREAD: Its Monster Huntin' time!!

I need to kill Alatreon and Fatalis, but i am still catching up with Iceborne, since i didnt play the game for like a year due rl stuff.

I am still creating my builds, and i have yet to add the augmentations i want since i am still updating my guiding lands, XD

BTW, is nice how MHW keeps getting new players every day.

Sometimes when i want to take a break from doing stuff, i go to low and high rank to help manquitos as we say for noobs in my group of friends, and is funny how once i jump into a quest, or expedition, it gets populated quickly by newcomers to try to get carried on them, lol (It helps that i like to play support, so i am always keeping them alive)

21 hours ago, Hecatom said:

I need to kill Alatreon and Fatalis, but i am still catching up with Iceborne, since i didnt play the game for like a year due rl stuff.

I am still creating my builds, and i have yet to add the augmentations i want since i am still updating my guiding lands, XD

BTW, is nice how MHW keeps getting new players every day.

Sometimes when i want to take a break from doing stuff, i go to low and high rank to help manquitos as we say for noobs in my group of friends, and is funny how once i jump into a quest, or expedition, it gets populated quickly by newcomers to try to get carried on them, lol (It helps that i like to play support, so i am always keeping them alive)

If you did this during event festivals, you get extra rewards and VIP seasonal tickets.

But yeah, get to Fatalis asap and get all of his broken shit!!

Though be sure to have Health Augmentation on your weapons when you do fight him!!

I think that i need to kill Alatreon first, right? 

Iirc, i cant access the Fatalus quest until i killed Alatreo just once. 

Right now, the only weapon i have with health regen is the Kulve Glaive Paralisys due me usually playing on a pseudo support role. 

But i also have a variant of the set using safi glaives with nergi essence. 

I am still trying to get kulve essence on them, dunno if i can, lol. 

19 hours ago, Hecatom said:

I think that i need to kill Alatreon first, right? 

Iirc, i cant access the Fatalus quest until i killed Alatreo just once. 

Right now, the only weapon i have with health regen is the Kulve Glaive Paralisys due me usually playing on a pseudo support role. 

But i also have a variant of the set using safi glaives with nergi essence. 

I am still trying to get kulve essence on them, dunno if i can, lol. 

There's a Reddit/NERF AS F@#! Alatreon quest, that you do before fighting Fatalis!!

Kulve's back, so you can get some Kjarr elemental weapons, (ice & fire only...everything else does shit elemental damage to Alatreon)

But  if you have a Safi (Ice & Fire) elemental weapons, 3 pieces or full Safi armor  you're still good.

Bring max Blight Resistance too against both Alatreon & Fatalis.

You get hit with dragon blight against Alatreon, you're screwed on doing elemental damage to negate the DPS check nova.

Fatalis is a living napalm/nuclear reactor, which can and will easily set your ass on fire.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

MHW: Iceborne (PC) Fade to Black - Dual Blades (24:15) 

Statement hunt to show that I can beat Fatty pure with no overlay!!

Last post from me here, as no one else is posting in this thread.

😞

Edited by CDB2k20
17 hours ago, Psychoblue said:

The movie-tin in MHW high-key makes me want to go see the movie.  I heard it's not so much insulting as it is bland but Capcom did a great job translating Milla to MHW and making her feel like she wasn't being intrusive.  

Movie-tie in did not do that for me, as I'm passing on the movie until it comes to one of the streaming services.

The only positive thing I can say is that they did a great job on  the monster designs!!

One good thing about the movie-tie in is that its gives new players going into MR (Master Rank)  the best starting MR armor!!

So that's a plus. 🙂

1 hour ago, CDB2k20 said:

Movie-tie in did not do that for me, as I'm passing on the movie until it comes to one of the streaming services.

The only positive thing I can say is that they did a great job on  the monster designs!!

One good thing about the movie-tie in is that its gives new players going into MR (Master Rank)  the best starting MR armor!!

So that's a plus. 🙂

I'm also waiting until it comes out on streaming, not worth dealing with redneck plague rats.  I just meant that my interest in seeing it is higher than what it would have been otherwise.

While the whole Isekai bit is weird, given that Monster Hunter "main characters" are just CAWs, technically they can be anything you want and in this case (and in how MHW handled her) that's just what Milla's headcanon is.

Also apparently that big Leo Whitefang looking Hunter she was teaming with is played by Ron Perlman in the film.  I guess Hannibal Chau finally found a place where his monster wares can appreciated!

15 hours ago, CDB2k20 said:

That's The Admiral

spacer.png

..aka...The most based dude in the game!!

I'm still trudging through the Campaign mode, just got done with the red gator monster that makes you bleed and the whole "This is where monsters come to die and their remains feed the Coral Highlands" piece.

What weapon loadouts do you normally run with?  So far I've tried the Hammer, the Great Sword, the Charge Blade, the Bow, the Heavy Bowgun, and the Long Sword.  Out of those I enjoy the Long Sword and the Bow the best.  

I need to get back on this game. I was enjoying the hell out of it and then got sidetracked. 

8 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

What weapon loadouts do you normally run with?  So far I've tried the Hammer, the Great Sword, the Charge Blade, the Bow, the Heavy Bowgun, and the Long Sword.  Out of those I enjoy the Long Sword and the Bow the best.  

It's always Charge Blade. 

8 hours ago, Psychoblue said:

So far I've tried the Hammer, the Great Sword, the Charge Blade, the Bow, the Heavy Bowgun, and the Long Sword.  Out of those I enjoy the Long Sword and the Bow the best.

League Of Legends G2Army GIF by G2 Esports 

W33B CONFIRMED!!

LOL!!

Jokes aside when I'm on my melee profile, I usually use Dual Blade, the Charge  CHAD Blade!!, Hammer, Great  GROWN-AZZ MAN Damage Sword and Long Sword.

CHAD-BLADE, GROWN-AZZ MAN Damage! Sword and the Hammer are the best heavy hitting meele weapons in the game!

For range, alternate the bowguns. 

Sticky and Spread HBG kills everything in minutes!

Seconds, with the right loadout & skill!!

Sticky Ammo has been the Meta for years!!

Pierce works very well on the exceptionally large monsters!!

I use LBG for small fast-moving targets that can kill you quick: i.e.:  Rajang aka...MONKEY/Vegeta!!

And LBG for Alatreon for the rapid-fire elemental ammo.

9 hours ago, Psychoblue said:

I'm still trudging through the Campaign mode, just got done with the red gator monster that makes you bleed and the whole "This is where monsters come to die and their remains feed the Coral Highlands" piece.

What weapon loadouts do you normally run with

Yeah, you're still in LR (Low Rank) 

Stick with the Defender armor and weapons.

Upgrade the armor and weapons as you play through the story and while in between quests.

Check out this video for the optional quests to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKLJUu29x14

You want to get your elemental resistance mantles before fighting the Elder Dragons and to make your life easier with monster that give you blights.

Another tip when you get to HR get the  Girrors alpha coil!!

https://monsterhunterworld.wiki.fextralife.com/Girros+Coil+Beta

It helps cancels out the environmental effluvium of the Rotten Vaal, whenever you're there hunting or gathering.

@PsychoblueI don't want to overload you with info in this post, so I will stop here.

9 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

I need to get back on this game. I was enjoying the hell out of it and then got sidetracked. 

Please tell me that you're finally on PC now!! :)

I retired from PS4 version once I had finished the movie-tie in mission.

Yep I got it all figured out.  I'll farm some Commendations so I can have more Defender IIIs without having to downgrade constantly to get the Commendation back to upgrade my next weapon of choice.  I hunted some more Anjaranth in case I want to have more Defender II weapon tests while cleaning up the lower level optional missions.

Charge Blade was the first weapon I picked.  It's a lot of fun especially when you get the hang of pole vaulting onto monsters to start the mounted slash mini-game, but I prefer the raw damage and rage slashes of the long sword.  

Defender Katana III is absolutely nutty.  I just defeated Rathalos and I made quick work of him.  The Diablos is next.  

Edited by Psychoblue
2 hours ago, Psychoblue said:

Yep I got it all figured out.  I'll farm some Commendations so I can have more Defender IIIs without having to downgrade constantly to get the Commendation back to upgrade my next weapon of choice.  I hunted some more Anjaranth in case I want to have more Defender II weapon tests while cleaning up the lower level optional missions.

Charge Blade was the first weapon I picked.  It's a lot of fun especially when you get the hang of pole vaulting onto monsters to start the mounted slash mini-game, but I prefer the raw damage and rage slashes of the long sword.  

Defender Katana III is absolutely nutty.  I just defeated Rathalos and I made quick work of him.  The Diablos is next.  

Few things are as satisfying as landing all the hits of SAED with the Charge Blade!!

Animated GIF

Some game settings quality of life tips: 

Another thing aside from getting upgrade the canteen and garden, get some charms.

List of the ones in the game: https://monsterhunterworld.wiki.fextralife.com/Charms

The most important ones to get and upgrade to max throughout your playthrough are...(NOTE on the right I put what the actual name of the charm is when looking for it in the Smity):

Important one to get:

• Critical Eye Skill charm - Master's Charm = You'll be using either this or the Agitator charm for most of the game to increase your damage.
  • Agitator Skill charm - Challenger Charm = see above.... though most builds use this one over the first, but the skill only works when the monster is enraged.
  • Handicraft skill charm - Handicraft Charm...this one increases your weapons sharpness.
  • Health Boost charm - Health Charm* Good one to have if you don't have Vitality gems. More health = bigger health bar = more hits that you can take.
  • Artillery skill charm - Artillery charm. If your using Charge Blade, you'll need this one until you can make some good armor pieces with this skill. When you're able to max this skill out without the charm then use either the Guard or Capacity charm ...if you don't have those skills or have the max.
  • Fire and Ice Elemental skill charms - Blaze and Frost Charms...you'll need these when facing the endgame monster called Alatreon. For that fight "you will" need ice or fire elemental weapons. Note: Water (Flood) and Thunder (Bolt)  Charms are other good elemental charms to get. 

• Earplugs skill Charm -   Earplugs charm...get this upgraded to a high enough level and you can recover from monster roars quicker or be completely immune to them.
  • Critical Boost - Critical Charm. The jewels for this skill is super hard to get and the skill is very good, as pairs with the Critical Eye skill But you won't be able to make this unto late HR.
  • Guard skill charm = Ironside Charm...another good charm with for Charge Blade. Guard helps the strengthen your shield when blocking, so you get knocked back less and take less damage when guarding. If you can get Artillery skill maxed out with gear or jewels, use this one. You just Guard 1 for most monsters and Guard 5 for much tough ones (Elder dragons, Rajang, and End game monsters)

I'm glad we're getting more focus on training/riding monsters rather than just killing or drugging them.  It makes the franchise a far easier sell to my normie colleagues that don't know about it.  Otherwise I sound like one of those redneck hunter weirdos. 🥴

• 2 weeks later...

I promised a straight shot interview of Monster Hunter. Now that I've finished up the campaign in Monster Hunter World, as well as played the movie tie-ins and having a free movie pass to watch the movie, I'm ready to give you one.

So like many people here, I saw who was behind the Monster Hunter movie and figured if I was ever going to see it, it was going to be on Netflix or Amazon Prime because I had nothing better to do. I decided to expedite my viewing due to two reasons: 1) the movie tie-in with Monster Hunter World was far more effort than Capcom typically put in their adaptation collabs so perhaps there was more to it and 2) I saw that Toho was responsible for creating the monsters which meant at the very least, I could judge it as a kaiju film.

What I got was what I expected after having done a bit more research and keeping in mind how the movie tie-in missions went: it was never insulting to me as a fan, but it left me wondering how much better it could have been if it was consistent about the mood.

Anything involving the New World, from the ships to the weapons to the characters from Monster Hunter World that were featured, everything was daisies. You could easily tell who everyone was supposed to be, and not only were they in character, but they well within the scope of the Monster Hunter universe with how they laid out the plot line with the Ancient Civilization and the Elder Dragon when it was time to talk about it. Meowscular Chef, like everyone else in the film who hailed from MHW, was pitch perfect. This is largely because Anderson didn't overreach like he did when he had to make up a plot for the Resident Evil films. Rather than completely alter the story, he chose to actually adapt it...or least, he did so whenever he wanted to focus on them. The first scene of the film and everything after the Wildspire Waste...if that had been maintained for the whole movie, the verdict would have been FAR less divisive.

Here's where it got dicey.

The trailer for this film showed off the military goons getting wrecked so naturally people are going to think that's the whole premise of the movie. Given that Monster Hunter protagonists are just CAWs, their backstory can be anything your headcanon wishes them to be. If Milla's character Artemis, and the rest of her doomed platoon, had acted the way they did and everything still happened the way they did, and it fit the context of the whimsical nature of Monster Hunter...again, the verdict would have been far less divisive.

The biggest thing that holds this movie back is the contrast in mood. Monster Hunter shouldn't be grimdark, and the early parts of the film with the body horror involving Nerscyllas, while effective in being creepy and unsettling, didn't really hit that Monster Hunter feel. The good news is that the mood slowly but surely got back to Monster Hunter feel as the Field Leader (Tony Jaa) entered the movie and established himself as the secondary protagonist. From there he was able to lead Milla's characrter Artemis to more Monster Huntery things like setting traps, crafting materials and ultimately using the weapons and tech you expect from Monster Hunter. Artemis using whatever was left of her military gear to infuse her weapons and Claw pods with Blast element was pretty cool.

As for the monsters themselves, while the body horror bit was weird, once it came time for raw destruction the Large Monsters featured in the film, Black Diablos and Rathalos, were handled wonderfully. Toho are masters of their craft. They proved it over the decades and in the last few years not just with their Godzilla characters, but with Detective Pikachu and now Monster Hunter. Strictly as a kaiju film this is a solid B. Since it's more than that, and an adaptation of a beloved franchise, we're gonna grade it differently.

Verdict: 7/10 - C

I'm gonna attach this hastily assembled meme to get to my point. If the mood of the film matched every scene that had the Admiral, the Fiver Friends, Handler, Meowscular etc, this movie would have been anything from 9/10 to even a perfect score. We'll see if Anderson can dial it back given the cliffhanger promised a ton of stuff on the Ancient Civilization and fighting an Elder Dragon, and I completely get it if people are gonna believe it when they see it assuming they haven't been scared off by his name already, but the grimdark mood really didn't have a place in Monster Hunter even if the big bad monsters like Diablos and Rathalos theoretically lend themselves well to it. But hey, if there's ever a Rotten Vale movie with Vaal Hazak as a final boss, maybe it wouldn't be so out of place.  spacer.png

By the way, the Artemis (Milla's character) armor is OP!  I'm just breezing through what's left of the High Rank missions like it's nothing.  Master Rank is definitely a step up, the most frustrating boss for me so far is the Viper Todachi.  

On 1/24/2021 at 8:40 PM, Psychoblue said:

By the way, the Artemis (Milla's character) armor is OP!  I'm just breezing through what's left of the High Rank missions like it's nothing.  Master Rank is definitely a step up, the most frustrating boss for me so far is the Viper Todachi.  

Said this to other members here still on "that" forum who are trying to get caught up on MHW and Iceborne, to get movie tie-in armor:

It really is the best beginning armor set to craft in MR.

Of course, what should strive to end up getting in is the Fatalis armor set & weapons.

That is the final endgame stuff to get.

Edited by CDB2k20
49 minutes ago, CDB2k20 said:

Said this to other members here still on "that" farm who are trying to get caught up on MHW and Iceborne, to get movie tie-in armor:

It really is the best beginning armor set to craft in MR.

Of course, what should strive to end up getting in is the Fatalis armor set & weapons.

That is the endgame stuff.

Peak Performance +Vigorwasp delivery to constantly fuel it is a huge help against some of the tougher monsters.  Before I crafted this thing I spent 50 minutes firing off arrows at the Nightshade Paolamu and came away empty-handed even though I didn't die once.  I switched to a melee weapon and put on the Artemis armor and suddenly I'm soloing these MR midcarders.  Still it's nice to have SOS Flares answered so that I can expedite the farming process.  Still trying to max out the different elemental weapons I have eyes on.

Artemis' wig also comes with Earplugs, I haven't flinched once since I put this thing on and I've already taken out the Nargacuga this evening.  

The target weapons are as follows:

Fire Dual Blades

Thunder Lance

Water Switch Axe

Poison Hammer

Dragon Glaive

Sleep Hunting Horn

Blast Longsword (for now I'm doing good for my Defender V Katana)

Paralysis Sword/Shield

Edited by Psychoblue
20 hours ago, Psychoblue said:

Blast Longsword (for now I'm doing good for my Defender V Katana)

Get to Raging Brachy, for best blast anything.

It's a better alternative than doing the Safi siege grind over and over.

20 hours ago, Psychoblue said:

Fire Dual Blades

As a dual blade main, if Kulve's around then get its Kjarr & Taroth Fire Dual Blades and other elemental Dual Blades. Kjarr weapons have the  "Critical Element" skill included, and Taroth weapons have the potential to increase they're level elemental damage beyond the Kjarr stuff, and can use jewels.

Safi'Jiva is your next step; its 3 piece and full armor is great for elemental weapons, but it does come with a cost!!

FYI: Though you will only need fire elemental weapons for one particularly important monster: Ice Active Alatreon  

You "can use" fire element against other fire weak monsters: Velkhana, Vaal, Kirin, and surprisingly Fatalis; but Raw/Blast or Dragon-element with high elder seal is far better.

The main goal is to beat the base Iceborne story as soon as possible to unlock the endgame content, and join the rest of the player base.

Edited by CDB2k20

About to hop back into this game. Should I go male or female for the best looking armor sets? I like the more closed face helmet options on the guys but hate how bulky a lot of the sets are. Are their good lighter weight/slim choices for guys or should I just go female? 

12 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

About to hop back into this game. Should I go male or female for the best looking armor sets? I like the more closed face helmet options on the guys but hate how bulky a lot of the sets are. Are their good lighter weight/slim choices for guys or should I just go female? 

I've only played as my one female CAW, but I don't think it makes a difference?  At least I haven't noticed any difference when I play the different CAWs in Freedom Unite.  

First day back and I’m already getting clowned trying to be flashy with the Gunlance. 

Use GL > go wild > get smacked outta my attacks fucking around > get mad and swap to Lance so I can spam without thinking > get bored > repeat

On 1/29/2021 at 6:30 PM, Vhozite said:

Male for badass closed helmet armors!!

Female for a combo fanservice and badass outfits!!

PC.... FOR SO MANY GLORIOUS MODS!!

avNvKvw.jpg

mqplJJT.jpg

Yeah I went with the guy and I’m happy with my decision. Haven’t downloaded any mods yet tho. The basic Bone Helm is still my favorite armor piece

Thinking about try a new weapon. The Gunlance is by far my favorite but it gets boring always using that.

3 hours ago, Psychoblue said:

Stupid question but am I only allowed to Trap and Tranq monsters if they start limping away, or can I do it sooner?

AFAIK they have to be limping. If they aren’t limping the trap will work fine but the tranq bombs won’t do anything (that I’ve noticed). 

Just killed Nergigante for the first time and honestly I was underwhelmed. He died to good old poke>guard>shell just like everything else. Between Uraagan set bonus, 3 ranks of guard, and 3 ranks of divine blessing my Hunter is quickly turning into a slow but unstoppable juggernaut. 

New gameplay video from me for yesterday:

On 2/3/2021 at 8:25 PM, Psychoblue said:

Stupid question but am I only allowed to Trap and Tranq monsters if they start limping away, or can I do it sooner?

You can do it sooner.

If you can see the skull icon flashing on the monster icon in the map, you can trap & tranq them ending the hunt quicker.

Some monsters you may have to beatdown a little bit more, even when they're limping to cap them due their high health pool.

...and oh. 

In Master Rank, they are two monsters  (Nargacuga & Rajang) were depending on their status certain traps won't work on them.

On 2/4/2021 at 12:20 AM, Vhozite said:

Just killed Nergigante for the first time and honestly I was underwhelmed. He died to good old poke>guard>shell just like everything else. Between Uraagan set bonus, 3 ranks of guard, and 3 ranks of divine blessing my Hunter is quickly turning into a slow but unstoppable juggernaut. 

Guard 5 + Guard Up = 

GIF by collin

Edited by CDB2k20

Beat Shara for the first time, next up I guess is grinding for Fatalis.  I'm trying to optimize my Tigrex Blade, just need that Mantle now.  Tigrex himself is a pretty annoying enemy, his stamina is nearly limitless and it feels like he never stops moving long enough for me to hit him without him rearing back and taking a big bite, or pouncing or throwing rocks.  

Edited by Psychoblue
23 hours ago, Psychoblue said:

Tigrex himself is a pretty annoying enemy, his stamina is nearly limitless and it feels like he never stops moving long enough for me to hit him without him rearing back and taking a big bite, or pouncing or throwing rocks.  

Give Tigrex the Bairoth treatment.

.... break its arms & tail to mitigate its move set when it goes "FULL RETARD!!"

23 hours ago, Psychoblue said:

next up I guess is grinding for Fatalis.

I would advise not touching Fatalis ...until MR 100 when you can farm tempered elders in the Guiding Lands to get Health Augmentation.

If you don't want to wait to MR 100, at least get to MR 70, to and get a mix of either Gold Rathian, Raging Brachy, Teostra and Alatreon armors.  Gold Rath armor gives you Divine Blessing secret which reduces the chance of getting OHKO'ed!!

For weapons: stick with either Alatreon, Safi'jiva blast element or Raging Brachy weapons. 

If you don't want to grind to MR 70 (which means you shouldn't even try to fight Fatalis much less Alatreon,...FLITHY DEAD WEIGHT CAUSAL!!😁)

Then grind Raging Brachy for its armor & weapons.

Note that you must survive long enough in the first phase against Fatalis to unlock the ability to call for an S.O.S.