Stage Select

The Castlevania/Bloodstained Thread: Whip It Good

I don't know if we have a CV/BS thread here already or not, but if not, here we go.

Been getting back into Bloodstained RotN lately while waiting for the patch to make Vigil: The Longest Night better playable on the Switch. Speedrun mode is a lot of fun but tough because in order to get a good time, chances are you're going to be underleveled and that's especially a problem with bosses (which is where Ive been having most of my trouble.) 

Boss Revenge mode? Fun AF. Getting to play ALL these characters (besides Bloodless who is coming as a main game character this month) in the main game would be really fun and something I kind of hope they implement at some point. 

35 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Im looking forward to Bloodless. She has potential to be fun. 

Did you ever scoop Curse of the Moon 2? Think I'm gonna give up on waiting for the physical and just buy the digital. Waits been too long at this point. Even starting to have doubts it gets any kind of physical at all. 

Yeah she's been fun in the Boss Revenge mode. Tbh all the boss characters are pretty fun since they have different play styles, and I'm hoping that VS mode incorporates them if it in fact sees the light of day. 

As for cotm2 I haven't yet. I liked CotM and 2 is on my wishlist but its not something I was super excited about when it was announced. Is it better than the first? 

10 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

As for cotm2 I haven't yet. I liked CotM and 2 is on my wishlist but its not something I was super excited about when it was announced. Is it better than the first? 

I dunno. Was hoping for your opinion. Everyone I've talked to about it (only a handful) have said it's great tho. 

Edited by RSG3
2 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I dunno. Was hoping for you opinion. Everyone I've talked to about it (only a handful) have said it's great tho. 

I liked the first one but I didn't love it. It was really good but not enough that I absolutely had to have the second one. 

I'll tell you what I DID just pick up though is this: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/wallachia-reign-of-dracula-switch/

Looks like Castlevania IV meets Rastan/Sword Of Sodan and I prefer retro styles in that vein moreso than the 8 Bit style. 

9 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I liked the first one but I didn't love it. It was really good but not enough that I absolutely had to have the second one. 

I'll tell you what I DID just pick up though is this: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/wallachia-reign-of-dracula-switch/

Looks like Castlevania IV meets Rastan/Sword Of Sodan and I prefer retro styles in that vein moreso than the 8 Bit style. 

I was more or less just happy to have a new "true" CV game. 

I've looked at Wallachia a few times. It's on my radar but I'm more interested in Vigil right now. Might try to scoop that in the middle of the month. 

Edited by RSG3
55 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I was more or less just happy to have a new "true" CV game. 

I've looked at Wallachia a few times. It's on my radar but I'm more interested in Vigil right now. Might try to scoop that in the middle of the month. 

Yeah I hear you, it scratches that itch and it was pretty good. Just feel like I got my fill of it (I played cotm1 a LOT) so maybe that's part of it. 

I just bought Vigil last week but from what I hear there are some pretty gamebreaking glitches in the switch version so I'm waiting for the upcoming patch to start it. Been looking forward to that one for awhile myself though! 

By the way, @RSG3 Wallachia is a really excellent game and I think you'll like it, it's on sale now too. It's kind of a shooter in the sense that Elcin's main weapon is a bow and arrows, but she has a sword as an offhand weapon that you can use to destroy projectiles, environment items that hold items, and even to kill enemies. The vibe is definitely Castlevania IV meets Rastan and I'm having a blast with it so far.

1 hour ago, AriesWarlock said:

Hi, everyone. The Bloodless/Randomizer update should drop in about an hour on Steam, GOG, PS4 and Xbox One. Once you have update 1.18 (1.0.1.8 on Xbox) create a new save named BLOODLESS to access the bonus content.

https://playbloodstained.com/status/

They're doing so much great stuff with this game I might buy that IGA's Backpack DLC again on Switch to throw them a little support. They said they might do some other paid DLC down the road like costumes or even additional playable characters but that that's a ways out. So it'll be interesting to see how long they support this game for.

On 11/13/2020 at 8:46 AM, hanzohattori12 said:

Is the Switch version of RotN playable after all the patches? I didn’t pull the trigger on the sale last week, but I do want to get it somewhere down the line.

It's good. Definitely a little rougher around the edges than the ps4 version but not by much and I've played it through maybe 4 times. But it's good after all the patch work they've done to it. 

Finally got through the part I was stuck on in Wallachia the other day. This game is 110% like old school Castlevania in that once you figure out what to do at certain points, when to do it, where to stand, etc it's breezy. It's like a puzzle game in a sense. But this game keeps giving, the levels are really cool, the enemies are starting to get more varied, and the boss fights are getting more and more epic. 

I've been doing a speedrun mode game in Bloodstained, but Im stuck at Zangetsu 2 right now. All the bosses end up being damage sponges in this mode because you're weaker then you'd normally be. 

3 hours ago, RSG3 said:

That's what I was worried about with Speed Rub Mode. You're so focused on going quick you end up dealing eith Tanks as bosses. 

Doesn't sound terribly fun to me...

Tbh I'm finding out the usefulness of weapons I'd normally skip because they're the most powerful thing I have atm. 

I think it would be more fun if I were using glitches and skips but I don't imagine speedrunning any game without stuff like that is much fun. 

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

Bloodstained speedruns do weird skips and stuff. If you're took weak in one part then the idea might be that you farm a shard/arrange a hunt for certain loot.

Cant say I've been too interested in Bloodstained speedruns though.

There are some interesting ones online. I think the record is like 15 min and that's includes some skips and glitches. I always liked watching SotN speedruns and seeing all the crazy things they'd do was part of that. 

Edited by DoctaMario
  • 2 weeks later...

Curiosity: Castlevania SOTN and Game.com

A portable version of Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night was being developed for Game.com, the console created by Tiger Electronics in 1997, but the project was cancelled. Game.com had touch screen, internet connection, and the possibility of fitting 2 cartridges at once. It was discontinued in 2000 due to low sales. It's a shame!

129299717_420278369008395_17858396773555

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SotnHack/permalink/829031684578510/

128581265_2349064921905883_1602175807234

Edited by AriesWarlock
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Deadly_Raver said:

So how come I didn't see where you all mentioned the extra characters?  Just started playing with Bloodless and DAMN.  Igarashi is making damn sure his game doesn't end up like Mighty No. 9.  Awesome character edition IMO.  Gonna try Zangetsu later, but the 8 bit nightmare ticked me off by getting a few lucky kills on me.  Time to make that stage my bitch.

8 Bit Nightmare is one of the tougher bosses in the game but he's actually pretty easy when you abuse a certain Zangetsu skill. 

I'm glad they're putting a lot of time and effort into more content because RotN is a really excellent game. Only thing he's done that's rivaled SotN for me and in many ways, its a better game. 

4 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

8 Bit Nightmare is one of the tougher bosses in the game but he's actually pretty easy when you abuse a certain Zangetsu skill. 

I'm glad they're putting a lot of time and effort into more content because RotN is a really excellent game. Only thing he's done that's rivaled SotN for me and in many ways, its a better game. 

speaking of easy, Bloodless owns this game for FREE.    It's funny because the final boss' attack style would be good against anybody except women wielding combat umbrellas.  Mary Poppins attack FTW.

Edited by Deadly_Raver
13 hours ago, Serpent said:

I was looking at this game but people said it wasn't as good as Hollow Knight. I tried replaying SOTN after playing HK, and it really wasn't as fun anymore. I wonder if Bloodstained is worth playing. It goes on sale for around $16 or so now, so I might pick it up on the next sale.

I haven't played Hollow Knight yet, but if you don't enjoy SotN you probably won't enjoy this one either. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Yea Rebirth is good. I think a lot of people missed it due to the Wii Eshop, whatever it was called. Konami didn't market the Rebirth stuff well either. 

Its really a shame that emulation is pretty much the only way to play it now unless you have it on the Wii. Its kind of a bummer they didn't include it in the Castlevania Collection.

On 11/4/2020 at 10:59 AM, RSG3 said:

Im looking forward to Bloodless. She has potential to be fun. 

Did you ever scoop Curse of the Moon 2? Think I'm gonna give up on waiting for the physical and just buy the digital. Waits been too long at this point. Even starting to have doubts it gets any kind of physical at all. 

It regularly goes on sale for $10 on Steam- well worth that price even if you do get that physical copy down the line. I like it so much that I have almost 50 hours in it right now. 

On 1/22/2021 at 11:37 AM, Deadly_Raver said:

bloodless spanks the game for free.  I won't spill any secrets, but it won't take you long to figure out why and how.

I still need to run through it with her, but I'll probably wait until I finish Classic mode a bit. Haven't played it as much this week due to SamSho and Bloodborne kicking up for me again, but I got to the final level and am enjoying it a lot.