Stage Select

The Castlevania/Bloodstained Thread: Whip It Good

24 minutes ago, Deadly_Raver said:

man, classic mode is clapping me.  I am ashamed of my current performance.  I must work to reclaim my honor by not backfliping into the very danger I jumped over.  AGAIN.  😡

The window to trigger the backflip is way more generous than it has ever been- while this has its benefits, it does lead to a lot of accidental deaths.

There's a  fanmade game with assets from different CV games. The playable characters are original, I think

https://www.freegameplanet.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Silver-Nights-Crusaders-game-download.webm

• Silver Night’s Crusaders is a fantastic fan made Castlevania side-scrolling hack ‘n slash arcade beat ‘em up adventure where a vampire, a vampire hunter and a witch fight their way through a sprawling castle that’s corrupted by a mysterious relic.
  • In Silver Night’s Crusaders you can take control of three uniquely skilled heroes and fight your way through a sprawling monster-infested castle. There are familiar enemies from previous Castlevania games, but this isn’t a traditional Castlevania game. There’s no RPG element or metroidvania style exploration – it’s a straight up arcade side-scrolling hack ‘n slash adventure.
  • The three playable characters are Sheeba Faulkner the witch, Francis Bloodrose the vampire and Ethan Graymont the vampire hunter. They all have their own unique fighting style and weapons and special abilities. They also have their own reasons for conquering the castle and they don’t always see eye to eye on their adventure.
  • It’s an extremely tough game with some brutally tough boss fights and lots of tricky insta-death platforming sections, so you’ll either need some real skill or use of cheats to see the final credits. It’s a lot of fun though and the level of polish is incredible, with a fully fleshed out story, fantastic pixel art animation, well designed levels and excellent audio design. It feels like it could be an official Konami product (if Konami gave a damn about games anymore) and it’s a great take on the long running franchise. Highly recommended.

https://www.freegameplanet.com/silver-nights-crusaders-download-game/

https://rpgmaker.net/games/11643/reviews/7166/

silvercrus1.PNG

silvercrus3.png

silvercrus4.png

4 hours ago, Camacho said:

The window to trigger the backflip is way more generous than it has ever been- while this has its benefits, it does lead to a lot of accidental deaths.

Well, look who it is. Welcome. You finally joined us. How's the new tracks for your band coming along?

Edited by AriesWarlock

Yeah, I finally made the move. I saw that the others I talked to at SRK had already migrated. The band is still kind of on ice at the moment- sold and bought a house, been preoccupied with other stuff, and I still haven't got a replacement drummer. Also still have to finish lyrics since my vocalist won't do it, and I haven't been terribly inspired to write more. But I do have 8 tracks if rhythm guitars, drums, and bass done. If good writing could be forced, I could have taken a fraction of the time I've been playing CV/Bloodstained to finish it. But it's an elusive bastard when you care about lyrical quality, which I fully acknowledge I shouldn't get so hung up on with the genre. 

16 minutes ago, Camacho said:

Yeah, I finally made the move. I saw that the others I talked to at SRK had already migrated. The band is still kind of on ice at the moment- sold and bought a house, been preoccupied with other stuff, and I still haven't got a replacement drummer. Also still have to finish lyrics since my vocalist won't do it, and I haven't been terribly inspired to write more. But I do have 8 tracks if rhythm guitars, drums, and bass done. If good writing could be forced, I could have taken a fraction of the time I've been playing CV/Bloodstained to finish it. But it's an elusive bastard when you care about lyrical quality, which I fully acknowledge I shouldn't get so hung up on with the genre. 

Hey, well, Slayer's Reign in Blood is only 29 minutes. If 8 tracks is what you've got, make them the best they can be. You don't want to force yourself to write more songs that might come out lacking and getting bad reviews.

I haven't played Silver Night's Crusaders yet, just found about it today. Looks cool. Apparently, it's hard but people are liking it. I'll give it a try, if my PC can run it.

DL: https://www.freegameplanet.com/silver-nights-crusaders-download-game/

11 hours ago, Deadly_Raver said:

man, classic mode is clapping me.  I am ashamed of my current performance.  I must work to reclaim my honor by not backfliping into the very danger I jumped over.  AGAIN.  😡

Tbh Miriam controls a little weird in Classic mode. She's slow like a Belmont in terms of walk speed but her jump length is far longer and the input for the backflip is almost too lenient for my taste. Took me awhile to get used to it. 

4 hours ago, Camacho said:

What kind of music is it?

9 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

Your favorite kind:, 🤘death metal 🤘

Actually I'm a big metal fan, although outside of Slayer I don't usually listen to much death metal. I'm gonna check this out though, I like hearing the kind of music other folks are doing. 

Speaking of metal, what did you guys think when the series started putting metal into it? I want to say SotN was the first game I remember having metal tracks (Tragic Prince being a big one) and initially I wasn't terribly into it, but some of the stuff on the Harmony Of Despair OST is pretty awesome. 

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

Actually I'm a big metal fan, although outside of Slayer I don't usually listen to much death metal. I'm gonna check this out though, I like hearing the kind of music other folks are doing. 

Speaking of metal, what did you guys think when the series started putting metal into it? I want to say SotN was the first game I remember having metal tracks (Tragic Prince being a big one) and initially I wasn't terribly into it, but some of the stuff on the Harmony Of Despair OST is pretty awesome. 

I didn't play the game before SOTN (well, I played the Rondo PSP remake a little), so I can't say if SOTN was the first one to feature metal tracks . But yeah, The Tragic Prince is the big one. How can you not like it?! Just imagine yourself clad in your most dark/goth attire, gripping your metal whip as you are about to slay werewolves, vampires and shit as soon as those guitars start ripping. Do it!!

2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I've always liked the neo-classical metal that has been worked in since SotN. The ps2 games had some really top shelf music as well, despite being a bit boring to play.

Edited by Camacho
52 minutes ago, Camacho said:

I've always liked the neo-classical metal that has been worked in since SotN. The ps2 games had some really top shelf music as well, despite being a bit boring to play.

Lament of Innocence has one of my favorite OSTs in the series so I cosign that! 

29 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Castlevania is kind of like Sonic...even when the game it shit the music is almost always bangers regardless. 

I would agree for the most part, although I never really juked to the music in the Sorrow games especially. The DS games had their moments, but I feel like that was something of a dry spot for good music in the series unless there's stuff Im forgetting. Even the stuff Yuzo Koshiro did for PoR was kind of meh

On 1/30/2021 at 5:56 PM, Camacho said:

Playing Bloodlines again, I'm always struck as to how goddamn weird the game is. As usual, I hate the gargoyle boss. It goes down easy if you get the rhythm just right, but if you're off the slightest bit the stupid rotating tower will make you eat it. I really don't care for the France stage either. 

Bloodlines had a lot of really great ideas particularly in the level design. I'd love to see that game remade with less jerky animation because it always felt slightly off to me after how smooth CV4 is. Still a great game though and one I definitely need to replay more. 

9 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

still in development, you can download a demo here

https://programancer.itch.io/

Nice! There have been some really excellent Castlevania inspired hacks and fangames over the years. You ever play those Lecarde Chronicles games at all? I got a good bit of the way through the second one and it's a really excellent game, but I got stuck. It's got heavy Simon's Quest vibes but in a good way.

2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Nice! There have been some really excellent Castlevania inspired hacks and fangames over the years. You ever play those Lecarde Chronicles games at all? I got a good bit of the way through the second one and it's a really excellent game, but I got stuck. It's got heavy Simon's Quest vibes but in a good way.

Never heard of it before. Just looked it up, and looks like quite impressive for a fan made game.

So, having played through Bloodstained's classic mode a few more times, I'm really digging it. Super satisfying to do a quick playthrough without having to commit a big time sink, which is something I really enjoy about old school 2d games in general. Very finely tuned level design and stellar music. 

On a different note, which game do you think has the toughest final boss? I'm going to say Adventure Rebirth off the top of my head, probably followed by the 3rd form of Dracula in the PSP Rondo remake. 

5 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Castlevania X Dracula is infuriating. 

That one is pretty goddamn annoying. I always wait in the one spot you can't be knocked off of and chuck axes through the first form. Second form goes down much faster because you can actually do damage without huge waits in between.  It's a truly stupid way to change that fight from the admittedly too easy Dracula in rondo.

18 hours ago, Camacho said:

So, having played through Bloodstained's classic mode a few more times, I'm really digging it. Super satisfying to do a quick playthrough without having to commit a big time sink, which is something I really enjoy about old school 2d games in general. Very finely tuned level design and stellar music. 

On a different note, which game do you think has the toughest final boss? I'm going to say Adventure Rebirth off the top of my head, probably followed by the 3rd form of Dracula in the PSP Rondo remake. 

I need to play Classic mode again, Ive been going hard on Bloodborne lately. 

DXC dracula's final form isn't too bad once you learn the sequence of his moves and where you need to be when each one is happening. I think the toughest one is timing your jump when he sends that really fast thing across the floor. 

I think I concur with @RSG3though RE toughest final boss. That or The Adventure's Dracula because hes a lot tougher when you don't have any sub weapons.  

i played the Castlevania collection yesterday. I played a little bit of Simon Quest first seemed all good until the screen tearing issues started to happen not much big of an issue but still... next was Belmont's revenge on the Gameboy. I have never played this game on the big screen i felt more comfortable going through the levels but i found this issue, being black and white i couldn't tell the traps from the background sometimes to be specific the spikes that are at the top of your head, i fell on the same spot like three times lol. I was also tired so there's that.

i wish it had some way to alter the colors like the super gameboy so you could see better. I need tyo try the other games Castlevania III which i never played and also kid dracula.

Edited by rukawa_kaede
15 hours ago, rukawa_kaede said:

i played the Castlevania collection yesterday. I played a little bit of Simon Quest first seemed all good until the screen tearing issues started to happen not much big of an issue but still... next was Belmont's revenge on the Gameboy. I have never played this game on the big screen i felt more comfortable going through the levels but i found this issue, being black and white i couldn't tell the traps from the background sometimes to be specific the spikes that are at the top of your head, i fell on the same spot like three times lol. I was also tired so there's that.

i wish it had some way to alter the colors like the super gameboy so you could see better. I need tyo try the other games Castlevania III which i never played and also kid dracula.

CV3 is my favorite. The collection has the Japanese version as well, I recommend playing it that way due to the very improved music. The achievements won't pop in the JP versions though.

5 hours ago, Camacho said:

CV3 is my favorite. The collection has the Japanese version as well, I recommend playing it that way due to the very improved music. The achievements won't pop in the JP versions though.

speaking of that how can you play the JP versions exactly? do you have to unlock them first?

Edited by rukawa_kaede
On 2/6/2021 at 4:43 PM, rukawa_kaede said:

i wish it had some way to alter the colors like the super gameboy so you could see better.

I'm pretty sure there's an option for that in the pause menu if I'm reading what you're saying correctly. You can change the screen to red, blue, etc.

21 hours ago, Camacho said:

Saw this pop up on my recommended stories today: https://www.ign.com/articles/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night-1986-mode-secret-hidden-how-to-unlock-classic

TLDR, the Konami code at Bloodstained's Classic mode title screen enables 1986 difficulty, which takes your movement back to CV1 mechanics. Personally, I'm not in a hurry to try it. 

Hmm, you know, that might make the game a lot easier actually given how loose things are with backflip and how it feels (to me anyway) like she jumps too far. I need to get back on Classic Mode.

On 2/10/2021 at 3:08 PM, DoctaMario said:

I'm pretty sure there's an option for that in the pause menu if I'm reading what you're saying correctly. You can change the screen to red, blue, etc.

Hmm, you know, that might make the game a lot easier actually given how loose things are with backflip and how it feels (to me anyway) like she jumps too far. I need to get back on Classic Mode.

Losing the ability to jump on/off stairs will be really annoying- I'll try it soon enough regardless. Have played through CV1 a few times over the last week should make this pretty manageable. 

Edited by Camacho

Publisher Team17 and developer The Game Kitchen have announced the Blasphemous “Strife and Ruin update, which brings Miriam from Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night to Cvstodia, seeking help from The Penitent One. It will launch on February 18.

Tasked with helping Miriam return to her world, players must complete a series of platforming challenges and collect shards to repair her portal home. Filled with traps that force the player to hone their precision platforming abilities, those who pass the test and help Miriam return to her world will have a special reward bestowed upon them.

“Strife and Ruin” also introduces Boss Rush Mode, which becomes available after completing the main storyline. Ramping up the challenge to new heights, the mode features courses containing a selection of bosses that players take on using any of their save files. Each run is assigned a score based on various factors, with medals available for the toughest of Penitents.

A Demake Area has also been added that pays homage to classic 8-bit platformers, providing a linear experience, played inside an arcade cabinet that is hidden in a secret location on Cvstodia, with reimagined visuals to match the retro style. Core mechanics will change to suit the classic style as well, as The Penitent One strives to gather five golden skulls and defeat a new boss to reap the rewards. Continuing the retro theme, The Game Kitchen has also included several new render modes, emulating older TV effects that can be applied throughout the entire standard game.

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/02/blasphemous-strife-and-ruin-bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night-collaboration-update-launches-february-18

@misterBeedoes this board have an option to keep the formating when copying and pasting from other sites? Just copied and pasted the article from the link above and the above paragraph is the result. I  did the same on SRK and it kept the formatting:

https://forums.shoryuken.com/t/video-game-general-v8-01d-pc-gaming-golden-age-big-box/591278/9993?u=arieswarlock

Edited by AriesWarlock
2 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

@misterBeedoes this board have an option to keep the formating when copying and pasting from other sites? Just copied and pasted the article from the link above and the above paragraph is the result.

Normally copy/pasting paragraph breaks works just fine, but being able to copy over block quotes complete with formatting is definitely not standard.  I am not sure how Discourse does it.  I will look into finding something similar for this site.