Stage Select

The Castlevania/Bloodstained Thread: Whip It Good

14 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

New Castlevania-ish game

Migami is one of the best at horror style sidescrollers these days. Wallachia was really excellent (I need to beat that one actually, I got stuck and stopped playing) and this one looks like it has some of the elements of that one but in a more Metroidvania style. I wonder if the games are related story wise? 

1 hour ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

I have never played a single Castlevania game. 

While I don't want to force your hand into it, as that don't foster well for getting someone into a game series.
The series it self is divided into mostly 2 distinct styles of play.

One is a Action platform game where you ( for the most part ) move to Left to Right, avoiding obstacles and fighting enemies on screen. 
The other is largely exploration based, may or may not have RPG elements with items/abilities to pick up and sometimes you got to backtrack to open new areas to explore. 
The later is often called Metrovania ether to the amusement or annoyance of others. 

Touhou Project action game Koumajou Remilia: Scarlet Symphony coming to Switch, Steam in 2021

Remastered and with bonus content.

Scarlet-Symphony_06-05-21-scaled.jpg

Here is an overview of the game, via CFK:

Developed by Frontier Aja, Koumajou Remilia Scarlet Symphony is a 2009 side-scrolling action game based on the famous Touhou Project. The game comes back this year with HD remastered graphics and a number of bonus content.

Koumajou Remilia Scarlet Symphony features a collaboration of classic gothic horror action and the world of Touhou Project. As Reimu Hakurei, players will battle their way to the Scarlet Devil Castle to find out the cause of the disturbance that is spreading in Gensokyo.

The legendary action game Koumajou Remilia Scarlet Symphony will be released on Nintendo Switch and Steam this year, with upgrades.

57 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I'm not familiar with this game although I've heard of them. Is it a Metroidvania type of thing? 

They are stage based like the classic games but have the art direction and movement of later games, with a Touhou flair. 

First stage if the first game, the one coming to console. You play as Reimu. 

State 1 of the second game where you play as Sakuya and get her Za Warudo powers, time stop. 

For a "Metroidvania" style Touhou game you can play Touhou Luna Nights a short but quite sweet little 2D open world game. You play as Sakuya in this one to, she's a pretty big fan favorite and her power set makes for fun gameplay. 

Luna Knights is available on Xbox 1 and PC but I think that is it. I would like it to come to switch myself. 

As is Touhou tradition the music in these games is all pretty fire for the most part. 

Edited by RSG3

I'm sad they are skipping over Simon. They could skip Juste an all but I did want to see Simon. .

Its a minor disappointment in the long run tho, Richter is my favorite Belmont so I still come out winning.

Speaking of, finished season 4 the other day. Binged it in one sitting g. Was fantastic. My only real complaint honestly is the lack of CV tunes still and for Season 4 Death kinda comes outta no where, but then t hats very Death in the games too so.minot complaint at best. 

I'm stoked for Rondo of Blood. Get hype. 

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

I like it. It has some low points and I remember being disappointed by the ending ultimately but over all had a good time. 

Which is pretty much my experience with the first one. 

I'm pretty onboard with that assessment. The art direction they went with (at least in the castle/past segments) was really cool too. Not a mindblowing game, but I felt like it was shat on way harder than it deserved. Probably because of those annoying stealth sections. 

3 hours ago, RSG3 said:

I think Bloodless might be the boss I dislike the most in Bloodstained. She has such an annoyingly large health pool, she just never fucking dies it's so annoying. Top that with her doing pretty good damage and she just ends up fucking annoying. Some of her attacks are a bit horse shit to. 

I treat her like a Bloodborne boss and try to stay behind her. If you use a blunt weapon, she bleeds a bit less and when she does her blood recovery move she gets a bit less health back. But on the whole, I agree, she's a damage sponge. 

Alfred goes next to Bloodless as well. He's an obnoxious run away shit stain who just covers the screen in hard hitting status effects. He's not fun, he's a fucking chore. He's not even fun in Curse of the Moon. Garbage ass old man. 

On second thought he's worse. Least Bloddless doesn't have a stupid teleport that zips her across the room and out of harms way like a little fucking bitch. 

Edited by RSG3
5 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Alfred goes next to Bloodless as well. He's an obnoxious run away shit stain who just covers the screen in hard hitting status effects. He's not fun, he's a fucking chore. He's not even fun in Curse of the Moon. Garbage ass old man. 

On second thought he's worse. Least Bloddless doesn't have a stupid teleport that zips her across the room and out of harms way like a little fucking bitch. 

Alfred is tough if you keep getting hit by his poison trap, but most of his other stuff is fairly easy to avoid if you can suss out his pattern. Is it your first time fighting him?

4 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Alfred is tough if you keep getting hit by his poison trap, but most of his other stuff is fairly easy to avoid if you can suss out his pattern. Is it your first time fighting him?

First time on hard. I'd rather get hit by the Poison, I have tons of Mithidrake to cure it. It's the Ice he throws on the ground with the bullshit hit box that does 250 hits points per damage....as he laughs while teleporting away like a bitch hahaha. 

I beat him before I made that post but he sure as fuck was annoying as shit to deal with. 

Nightmares gonna be fun -.-

On 6/28/2021 at 12:49 PM, RSG3 said:

First time on hard. I'd rather get hit by the Poison, I have tons of Mithidrake to cure it. It's the Ice he throws on the ground with the bullshit hit box that does 250 hits points per damage....as he laughs while teleporting away like a bitch hahaha. 

I beat him before I made that post but he sure as fuck was annoying as shit to deal with. 

Nightmares gonna be fun -.-

I usually do a lot of jumping in that fight to avoid the stuff he puts on the ground, then when he runs to the far side of the arena I'll go over there and wreck him. I try to stay behind him too. 

Barbarian: Testament of the Primordials coming to PS4, Xbox One on July 15

Currently available for Switch and PC.

Here is an overview of the game, via Dangen Entertainment:

About

Barbarian: Testament of the Primordials is a snarky Metroidvania focusing on action and puzzle-solving that follows the story of an unlucky barbarian hero who falls head first into a deep abyss and must escape with the help of the magical bat buddy, Pip. With a good dose of humor in the dialogue, players will explore hundreds of secret-filled rooms, fight enemies and huge bosses, meet hot-tempered NPCs, befriend unruly companions and use the powers of Pip to solve puzzles and escape the eldritch abyss!

Players choose one of two barbarian characters at the beginning of the game and dive (literally) head first into a denizen-filled, dungeon-crawl through the shadowy depths of an eldritch abyss. Using their barbarian fighting prowess to fend off foes, they must make use of their magical bat buddy, Pip, to light up the way and solve puzzles to advance through the massive underworld. Along the way, they will interact with a comical cast of characters through dialogue choices and uncover the story behind their strange predicament.

Featuring a massive 400-plus rooms of exploration, Batbarian includes over 20 hours of gameplay, 10+ major bosses, over 60 minutes of pumping music and 30,000+ words of dialogue to explore. RPG elements include a level-up minigame system and multiple endings based on player choices and actions.

The key feature of Batbarian is utilizing Pip. Players use the right analogue stick to aim and throw various fruit that Pip will chase and react to, creating a deep element of puzzle-solving. If players throw sticky fruit on a wall near a magical switch, Pip will chase the fruit and spend a few seconds eating it while activating the switch. Players must then progress through the puzzle before Pip finishes eating the fruit. NPC characters join the player, offering an added element of action and strategy to the gameplay.

Key Features

• Gain new skills for your barbarian and elemental powers for Pip, the (magic) bat!
  • A narrative-driven Metroidvania with dialogue choices and plenty of humor and snark.
  • Big numbers! 400-plus rooms, 20-plus hours of evolving gameplay, 10-plus bosses, 60-plus minutes of music, and almost 30,000 words of text that a barbarian would never bother to read!
  • Puzzles.
  • RPG elements with a level-up minigame.
  • Contains more fruit throwing than probably any other game.
  • Companions that join you in your quest and help you out in fights.
  • Multiple endings based on your choices and actions.
  • The thrown fruit are NOT wasted, they are eaten by the bat (who is magic).
  • A ton of secrets and hidden loot just about everywhere.
  • The (magic) bat has a whopping FIVE different squeaking sounds!
  • Fewer repetitive jokes than this description has.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

a fan hack for HOD

Description:

A comprehensive hack for the Japanese version of Castlevania HOD. It can only be used with the Japanese version.

Several characters have been added and original characters have been improved upon. There are two types of Simon (Original and enhanced), two Justes (Original and Devil), Julius from AOS, Maxim, Megaman, and Mario.

Several other features have been added or changed including sprites, palettes, music, and other things which are detailed in the read me.

A general description of the original Japanese hack is described below:

Castlevania HOD: Revenge of the Findesiecle (J) is a comprehensive hack for Castlevania - Byakuya no 
Concerto (J) on the Gameboy Advance done by PUNKEMNX & TonyJih.

Their original hack added a few additional sprites for the original characters, gameplay tweaks, as well 
as the ability to load additional custom characters.
3 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

a fan hack for HOD

Description:

A comprehensive hack for the Japanese version of Castlevania HOD. It can only be used with the Japanese version.

Several characters have been added and original characters have been improved upon. There are two types of Simon (Original and enhanced), two Justes (Original and Devil), Julius from AOS, Maxim, Megaman, and Mario.

Several other features have been added or changed including sprites, palettes, music, and other things which are detailed in the read me.

A general description of the original Japanese hack is described below:

Castlevania HOD: Revenge of the Findesiecle (J) is a comprehensive hack for Castlevania - Byakuya no 
Concerto (J) on the Gameboy Advance done by PUNKEMNX & TonyJih.

Their original hack added a few additional sprites for the original characters, gameplay tweaks, as well 
as the ability to load additional custom characters.

I love fan hacks, but MegaMan?😆 

I'm still looking forward to the fan hack that adds Richter to Order Of Ecclesia, all that game needed was a Belmont. 

• 3 weeks later...