Stage Select

[Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike] Q/A Thread

This is where questions about 3rd Strike should be posted. If they relate to the game, me personally on a competitive or learning level or beyond, it should be posted here. I'll try and get to as much as possible and promote this page to other, stronger players so they can help. This'll grow Megashock and the 3rd Strike playerbase here, hopefully.

In addition to this, I'll be making 2 new threads. One will contain basic information sources and some information on how to go about researching 3rd Strike. I'll also link certain communities that are super active and contain strong players for your information. The second thread will be a Ken page. I'll try to include as much information as I can there to both get you started and simultaneously solidify your play. It will not be redundant to any skill level, and the information will be qualitative.

I hope this thread is put to good use, since there are many aspects to the game that are locked away behind closed doors, not because of some sinister agenda, but because it just doesn't come up in certain levels of play enough to warrant a full discussion. The problem with this is that it limits bad players' knowledge base, and keeps them plateaued. Please feel free to ask any and all questions.

• misterBee changed the title to [Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike] Q/A Thread

Random question I've been meaning to look into...

Is there any sort of throw invincibility after leaving blockstun? I don’t know if my timing is bad and I’m trying to throw someone while they’re still in blockstun, or if there’s a couple frames of invulnerability.

On 11/13/2020 at 9:20 PM, Mattatsu said:

Is there any sort of throw invincibility after leaving blockstun? I don’t know if my timing is bad and I’m trying to throw someone while they’re still in blockstun, or if there’s a couple frames of invulnerability.

So this has been the subject of debate for some time. I recently got caught up in this debate and have yet to find a conclusive answer on my own, though people I trust have given me answers I believe, and they seem to work.

First, the concept of throw invulnerability in 3rd Strike:

There are 6 frames where you cannot be thrown after waking up, getting hit and being air reset. Usually the throw startup is 2 frames, so if you were to throw someone, you would input throw on frame 4 of the invulnerability to throw at the soonest possible moment. As for the frame 4 timing, it's unrealistic to expect you to do it every time, but it's an option.

Now, for the question at hand.

The most accurate source of mechanical information in regards to 3rd Strike is Game Restaurant:

http://gr.qee.jp/01_3rd/index.html

The translations say there is a period of time after guard "rigidity" that one cannot be thrown, which seemingly answers the question, but there are two ways to interpret this.

1. The 6 frames of throw invulnerability only start once blockstun ends. In this way, if blockstun lasts for 3 frames after a move is blocked, you cannot throw the opponent until 9 frames have passed. So, in summary, if a move has 3 frames of blockstun, a throw will not connect until frame 10.
  2. Rigidity could imply the act of going into blockstun, not the period of blockstun itself. In this way, we have a new interpretation: The 6 frames of throw invulnerability start at the same time as the blockstun, not after. So if a move has 3 frames of blockstun, your throw would not connect until frame 7. This would be because throw invulnerability would be a mechanic that runs parallel to blockstun, not after.

From what I understand, there is evidence to support both, with a majority of it favoring point #1. Personally, this is the theory I subscribe to, and I know many others do as well. It is also the theory I've had a 100% success rate with, as it's the most delayed play and so it must work, regardless of execution limitations. I recommend following that.

There is, however, and undisputed fact, that you can attempt to throw your opponent out of blockstun too early. You need to slow it down. From our many games, I think you really need to slow it down in general. Your actions-per-second are too high for the type of neutral this game promotes, so just keep in mind that caution will promote a slower game. In this way, you're approaching the commitment to a throw game in a much safer, smarter and more consistent way.

I hope this helped.

Edited by Dayaan
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2020 at 9:20 PM, Mattatsu said:

So recently I've clarified some stuff regarding your question. You can see corrections here.

As far as numbers and facts like that go, I've corrected the holes above in the previous post, but there is still spurious information in there, I believe. Please read that, then refer to this post to get the clearer and full picture on what is actually real.