Stage Select

The Fitness Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I can't recommend a power cage enough for anyone interested in a home gym. Finally upgraded to a cheap one after years of benching on a rickety old combo bench. The spotter bars make it so much safer to lift or squat alone, you can do multi grip chin ups on it, and there's a ton of attachments you can add on, many of which are cheap. I wish had bought years ago instead of a lot of other stuff I've tried.

I started working out again recently after the birth of my son I'd really fallen off of going to the gym.  I've stayed ideal body weight this whole time by following strict intermittent fasting and staying away from processed food.  Though because I have recurrent issues with my shoulder I avoid going heavy with deadlift or military press because I don't want to get injured.  I've been using kettlebells and bodyweight exercises combined with sledge + tire work.  I mostly want to stay lean and strong for my size but I'm not interested in trying to maintain a larger frame anymore.  It just requires me to stuff myself so much to stay over 180lbs and I just don't want to work that hard.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone knows of any good food for maintaining fitness that I can get on a college student's budget, that'd be great. We only have restaurant food here and a lot of that is unhealthy. The salads are unfilling and there's only so many oats I can consume. I'd really appreciate it.

I'd like to keep the cooking to a minimal, so whatever I can do would be great...

8 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I've fallen completely off. I lost 43lbs last year. Now I'm only down 24lbs. Doesn't help that I've completely been pigging out after my cousin died. I noticed I tend to eat a lot when I'm down. I REALLY need to turn this around before I end up being 260lbs again.

You and me both. Lost 30 gained 10. Not gonna go back. Mainly it's because I had to stop running. The doc wanted an MRI just to take a look at things as I have a "stress response" on my femur. In place of cardio, I've gone the calisthenics route and working out with rings. So here is the "fun" part. I went for blood work pre-MRI and the lady said that she couldn't easily find my vein. Never was a problem (even when I was heavier). She said that it's probably the musculature in my forearms. I thought she was gassing me up. . . until the same thing happened when they tried to do the contrast for the MRI a week later.

Soooo . . . yay. . . .  🤣

4 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

You and me both. Lost 30 gained 10. Not gonna go back. Mainly it's because I had to stop running. The doc wanted an MRI just to take a look at things as I have a "stress response" on my femur. In place of cardio, I've gone the calisthenics route and working out with rings. So here is the "fun" part. I went for blood work pre-MRI and the lady said that she couldn't easily find my vein. Never was a problem (even when I was heavier). She said that it's probably the musculature in my forearms. I thought she was gassing me up. . . until the same thing happened when they tried to do the contrast for the MRI a week later.

Soooo . . . yay. . . .  🤣

LOL. I've only had that once before, and it's because the nurse was an idiot. I am getting more muscle mass though... Feels good.

Still need a better diet.

13 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I REALLY need to turn this around before I end up being 260lbs again.

That's ok, man! Recognising and acknowledging it is a major part of the recovery process from that. I don't think anyone here is in a position to diagnose you with an ED, but it's a pretty common thing to do what you've been doing. It's valid, but turning it around is important as well, like you said. Going for meal prep always helps with the next meal. At that point, limiting yourself is not the challenge, getting up to take the food out of the fridge is. That's pretty easy.

That's what I used to do as a fat fuck, and you seem to be doing great on your journey, so I'm confident you'll manage it way easier than me. Good luck!

I'm actually in a bulking phase right now since my shoulder and knees are feeling better.

I was at my lightest in a long time when I turned 40 and when I got back from my 40th birthday vacation I was 192 in early December.  That is the lightest I have weighed in like a decade.  I was pretty lean though but now I'm trying to put on some weight and am back up over 200 now.  I think I'll bulk for like 2 more months or so and then around the end of March start to lean up. 

I think I can get to like 210-215 as long as I don't have any setbacks with my shoulder.  It's not 100% right now but I can put weight up like I used to and it aches afterwards but it's not too bad.  It mainly bothers me on chest day and kind of dictates what exercises I can do for chest.  It's odd though because it doesn't really bother me when I do military presses.

2 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

So basically what you are saying is that you are a pure beast 😉

Haha well not quite as much as I was in my late 20's.  That is when I was my biggest/strongest with no injuries.  

The one thing I've definitely noticed as I've gotten older is that injuries take much longer to heal.  Like my shoulder has been nagging for 7 years now, off and on.  I literally hurt it sleeping lol.  I just woke up the next morning and like had a torn rotator cuff or something.  And from then on I just had to be more careful with it.

Even during the pandemic and for months I didn't exercise or lift, my shoulder felt okay.  Then I got some bands before the gyms opened back up and it felt alright.

But like as soon as I went back to the gym and lifted real weight, bam, right shoulder aching again.

Moral of the story - don't get old.

I'm also playing basketball once a week right now which just started back up so I have some cardio going on too.

I feel your pain @purbeastliterally. I'm 42 so yeah, I wish they had WD-40 human joints. I need to get my shit together. I was proud of myself last year. Had people convinced I was yoked up. I just lost a of fat. Thanks to my dad, I naturally have a lot of muscle mass. I just need to get off my ass and put it to use. That aside, I'm proud of you man. I see guys like you and @Psychoblueputting in work and it inspires me to do better myself.

1 minute ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I feel your pain @purbeastliterally. I'm 42 so yeah, I wish they had WD-40 human joints. I need to get my shit together. I was proud of myself last year. Had people convinced I was yoked up. I just lost a of fat. Thanks to my dad, I naturally have a lot of muscle mass. I just need to get off my ass and put it to use. That aside, I'm proud of you man. I see guys like you and @Psychoblueputting in work and it inspires me to do better myself.

Cool thanks.  It's just engrained in my lifestyle at this point.  And it's pretty easy for me to eat right when I want to lean up and stuff.  I can flip that switch pretty easily but I always have cheat days otherwise I go crazy.  When I lean up I pretty much eat pretty strict M-F then on the weekends eat whatever I want but not going overboard.  I will eat fast food and all that junk and still lose like 1-1.5 pounds a week since it's only a couple meals out of the week that are piss poor.

I have people at the gym always talking to me asking me what I do and stuff and it's funny to see reactions when I tell them how basic it really is.  People thinking they do their abs every day and do 2 hours of cardio every day but want to build muscle and lose fat at the same time.  That just isn't going to happen at least not once you've been lifting for a while.  You literally are having 2 separate goals - calorie deficit or calorie excess.

When I was in my mid-20's I had people talk to me at the gym who had thought I did roids because I gained like 20lbs over one winter.  I went from like 165 to 185 over 3-4 months.  It's all about just eating a shitload of food and working out though.  I also take creatine when I'm bulking and am always on protein shakes.  So all that contributes to the calorie count I'm going for.

Yeah at my age now I am not really interested in figuring out what my PR is for any exercise.  It's probably been like over a decade since I actually tried to do a PR on anything. 

Even for bragging rights, now that I've been lifting for 20+ years, I think it's more impressive if you can do multiple reps of something lighter rather than 1 rep of something.  

On 2/4/2022 at 2:40 PM, Seth Vega said:

I remember about 10 or 11 years ago when I weighed 150 pounds I used to be able to bench 220 pounds once. I wonder if I should get back on that level of strength. All that muscle could slow me down though.

I've found after I passed 35 it became very hard to keep a certain level of strength, but I was able to maintain a higher baseline strength without much effort.  There seems to be a wall I can't stay above unless I want to get "supplements" (gear) at my current age.  Considering I am only working out for health and am unaffected in any other aspect, it doesn't seem worth it to me.  Which is why I always laugh when they have guys older than me in Men's health talking about getting ripped on CHICKEN, RICE, AND BROCOLLI!!!

Edited by J-ride
  • 3 months later...

I fluctuate from 150 to 155 pounds. I am 5 foot 4.5; that is to give you some perspective. Two of my goals is to be able to do 30 pull ups in a row and 100 push ups in a row. Back in high school I used to be able to do 30 push ups, but I only weighed about 130 pounds. The wrestling/football coach was so impressed by that that he suggested I should join wrestling.

Edited by Seth Vega

I began really cracking down on my diet this past month. I had gained so much weight over the past two years from quarantine and extra hours at work. This is going to sound mad stupid, but my scale broke so I stopped weighing myself in the mornings and my weight gain got out of control. I'm still far from where I want to be, but I've lost 10lbs this past month from going to the gym and focusing on veggies, lean meats, and eating dinner at a set time every night.

Hit a new pr on my squats on thursday too, which is a nice plus.

On 5/28/2022 at 9:49 PM, elliephil said:

I began really cracking down on my diet this past month. I had gained so much weight over the past two years from quarantine and extra hours at work. This is going to sound mad stupid, but my scale broke so I stopped weighing myself in the mornings and my weight gain got out of control. I'm still far from where I want to be, but I've lost 10lbs this past month from going to the gym and focusing on veggies, lean meats, and eating dinner at a set time every night.

Hit a new pr on my squats on thursday too, which is a nice plus.

I'm in the same boat. I dropped my about 30lbs and then put 20 of it back. February to April of this year have been emotionally taxing. I'm now ready to actually re-engage with myself and trying to put all of the right behaviors in place to this doesn't happen again. 

I'm starting to be a little more forgiving of myself with my cheat days since I learned that most of that weight gain the next day is only water weight.

The past few weeks I've been getting back into boxing as well after a 10 year absence. I would really recommend it for anyone who finds cardio boring. Even skipping rope is a nice challenge. I'm trying to whip it like Tyson some day haha.

Several years back, I worked up to doing 60 chin-ups in a set while hanging around 180-190. Started using a 20lb weight vest and got up to 45 in a set, eventually stopped when my shoulder was bothering me too much. Currently closing my (much more thorough than those days) workout with 20 wide pull ups, 20 neutrals, and 20 dips. Also got my bench reps up to 245 lbs, aiming to get to 250 soon-ish.  Been floating around 175-180 for a bit now, but also a good bit more lean than I was during that period when I was doing a ton of chin-ups. 

2 hours ago, Camacho said:

Several years back, I worked up to doing 60 chin-ups in a set while hanging around 180-190. Started using a 20lb weight vest and got up to 45 in a set, eventually stopped when my shoulder was bothering me too much. Currently closing my (much more thorough than those days) workout with 20 wide pull ups, 20 neutrals, and 20 dips. Also got my bench reps up to 245 lbs, aiming to get to 250 soon-ish.  Been floating around 175-180 for a bit now, but also a good bit more lean than I was during that period when I was doing a ton of chin-ups. 

Fucking beast mode. Trying to get my bench up since I feel it is really weak given my size.

34 minutes ago, elliephil said:

Fucking beast mode. Trying to get my bench up since I feel it is really weak given my size.

I've been benching and getting my weight up gradually for several years, but I didn't really start doing major workouts (as in staying at it for an hour with a good bit of variety) until about a year ago. Admittedly, my form isn't great, and I'm not doing squats or deadlifts (which I absolutely should be doing), but I'm getting pretty good results regardless. Currently doing 4 sets on the flat bench with 4 sets of crunches in between, 4 sets of preacher curls with 4 sets of butterflies in between, 4 sets of dumbell rows (alternating arms each set), 4 sets of tricep rope pulldowns with 4 bowflex rows between, 4 sets of leg extensions, then the aforementioned pull ups and dips. Hitting it every other day and have been really good at sticking with it, even though it sucks. Also recently got some straps to do hanging knee lifts and trying to get in the habit of doing those on my off days. It's really nice having gear in my basement, makes it easier to stick to the routine. Wish I had bought a cage 20 years ago instead of the stupid total gym I bought back then. 

34 minutes ago, Camacho said:

I've been benching and getting my weight up gradually for several years, but I didn't really start doing major workouts (as in staying at it for an hour with a good bit of variety) until about a year ago. Admittedly, my form isn't great, and I'm not doing squats or deadlifts (which I absolutely should be doing), but I'm getting pretty good results regardless. Currently doing 4 sets on the flat bench with 4 sets of crunches in between, 4 sets of preacher curls with 4 sets of butterflies in between, 4 sets of dumbell rows (alternating arms each set), 4 sets of tricep rope pulldowns with 4 bowflex rows between, 4 sets of leg extensions, then the aforementioned pull ups and dips. Hitting it every other day and have been really good at sticking with it, even though it sucks. Also recently got some straps to do hanging knee lifts and trying to get in the habit of doing those on my off days. It's really nice having gear in my basement, makes it easier to stick to the routine. Wish I had bought a cage 20 years ago instead of the stupid total gym I bought back then. 

That's funny cause I focus a lot on my deadlifts and squats while usually being too gassed or scared to push myself for bench. I'll do dumbell bench since it seems like I can focus more on reps than pushing pr. I usually like doing dumbell military press for shoulders but maybe I should start considering messing with inclines. Is there any advantage to doing incline versus flat bench?

7 hours ago, elliephil said:

That's funny cause I focus a lot on my deadlifts and squats while usually being too gassed or scared to push myself for bench. I'll do dumbell bench since it seems like I can focus more on reps than pushing pr. I usually like doing dumbell military press for shoulders but maybe I should start considering messing with inclines. Is there any advantage to doing incline versus flat bench?

Probably slightly different muscle groups. There's nothing scientific or optimized about what I'm doing, I'm just winging it. I'm sure I'd get better/faster results if I went to some prescribed routine. On the fear of pushing yourself at the bench, one of the things I like about the cage is that mine has safety bars in case you can't get that last rep. Might be worth looking into if you workout at home. Here's the one I've got, it's relatively cheap: https://www.amazon.com/Fitness-Reality-Pull-down-Attachment-Adjustable/dp/B01N4I8FOY/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=fitness%2Breality%2Bsquat%2Brack%2Bpower%2Bcage&qid=1654074872&sprefix=fitness%2Breality%2B%2Caps%2C93&sr=8-5&th=1  (side note, I can't recommend the J-hooks that come with it, upgrading them is pretty much mandatory)

Edited by Camacho
1 hour ago, Camacho said:

Probably slightly different muscle groups. There's nothing scientific or optimized about what I'm doing, I'm just winging it. I'm sure I'd get better/faster results if I went to some prescribed routine. On the fear of pushing yourself at the bench, one of the things I like about the cage is that mine has safety bars in case you can't get that last rep. Might be worth looking into if you workout at home. Here's the one I've got, it's relatively cheap: https://www.amazon.com/Fitness-Reality-Pull-down-Attachment-Adjustable/dp/B01N4I8FOY/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=fitness%2Breality%2Bsquat%2Brack%2Bpower%2Bcage&qid=1654074872&sprefix=fitness%2Breality%2B%2Caps%2C93&sr=8-5&th=1  (side note, I can't recommend the J-hooks that come with it, upgrading them is pretty much mandatory)

I usually work out at the gym but I might look into the cage. Seems like a more than reasonable price.

Been doing dumbell presses for chest for the past 2 months or so because my shoulder is just not right.  I just wish my gym had dumbells heavier than 100lb since I'm repping those pretty easily on flat.  I can do em on incline too but not after doing flat bench, my triceps are a bit shot at that point.

Ironically, my shoulder bothers me with dumbells for shoulder presses.  I have to do barbell for that.

• 2 weeks later...

I underestimated how many pistol squats I can do while holding onto the bed post. I was able to do 45 reps for each leg. I could likely have done 10 more. I did over a 100 reps for body weight calve raises; my goal with this exercise is 200 reps. Years ago in the late 90s,  I was able to calf raise over 400 pounds really easily for reps. I think that machine was not accurate.

I am now doing ab wheel rollouts to strengthen my core. It is much more challenging than sit-ups, but I can still do plenty of these.

Edited by Seth Vega

Been on vacation this week- apparently the wife didn't cancel her planet fitness account after we started working out heavy at home, so we went there this week. The one we went to had plenty of equipment, I really liked using the belt driven machines more than expected. Of course there was a ton of other gear and free weights as well. We're going to start going to our local one on weekends while continuing basement workouts mid week, should be a good way to get some focus on muscles my at home workout isn't hitting hard enough. I know lots of people shit on PF, but I've got to admit that I enjoyed it. I'm guessing the dumping on it depends on how each specific franchise is ran. Of course, the music was audio syphilis, but I suppose that's to be expected in any large gym. Will have to get some wireless earbuds for future visits.

7 hours ago, purbeast said:

I think most people shit on PF because they don't have free weights other than dumbells, and the dumbells only go up to like 50lbs or so.  At least that is what I have heard.  I've never been in one myself.

Oh, and that whole lunk alarm thing.

I saw dumbbells that went up to 95 IIRC, and they had a couple smith machines with plenty of barbell plates available. Didn't see anything about the "lunk alarm", but I've read about it. That sounds like something an activist Twitter user would love when someone makes them look bad. Probably all just depends on the franchise location and how it's ran- the only other time I've been in one was years ago, and I didn't see nearly as much non-cardio equipment there. But that was also in an area overran by hipsters, vegans, and yuppies, so I'm guessing that's what their smug customer base wanted.  

Been keeping with my free weights: 15 lbs t lifts, 25 lbs overhead tricep curls, 35 lbs bicep curls, 30 deep squats and 120 lbs cable chest pulls routine since the pandemic, twice a week along with 2 5 mile hikes across town.  I really saw the results at Combo breaker when I saw myself on stream, I definitely looked bigger in a good way.

https://clips.twitch.tv/TenderBlindingLemurSoBayed-ithEWfzza_33Db1N

Edited by Psychoblue
1 hour ago, Camacho said:

I saw dumbbells that went up to 95 IIRC, and they had a couple smith machines with plenty of barbell plates available. Didn't see anything about the "lunk alarm", but I've read about it. That sounds like something an activist Twitter user would love when someone makes them look bad. Probably all just depends on the franchise location and how it's ran- the only other time I've been in one was years ago, and I didn't see nearly as much non-cardio equipment there. But that was also in an area overran by hipsters, vegans, and yuppies, so I'm guessing that's what their smug customer base wanted.  

Yeah I don't really consider smith machine "free weights" in the traditional sense but it is like a mixture.  It definitely must be franchise by franchise.  My bro in law runs a district of PF's and I'm positive his do not go up to 95lbs for dumbells.  We had a discussion about gyms around Xmas and he either said 50 or 60 is all they go up to.  I thought he said 50 which is why I said that initially but it was probably 60.  I don't recall if he said anything about the smith machine or not though.

The lunk alarm thing, although really stupid and probably not enforced widely, was the thing that made me not want to get a membership at PF. Lack of free weights being an issue too. I go to another franchise gym and have had no real issues with it, other than the fact I have to go across the city for the 24/7 location.

I would hate the looming fear of someone at front desk watching me while working out to find a reason to kick me out for grunting or dropping something heavy when all I'm doing is trying my best. Especially as someone who wasn't feeling the greatest about themselves after two years of quarantine.

Yeah I literally go to the gym I go to because it's the cheapest and closest one to me.  It's a no brainer. 

It's a newer LA Fitness, probably built like 5 years ago, and I pay $25/mo for it and it is like 6--7 minutes away.

I have other options, but like there is no reason for it because it has pretty much everything I need.  The only negative I can think of is I don't do deadlifts because they don't have round plates and those ones with edges are dangerous when putting down heavy weight while deadlifting because it can roll on you.  I used to do it and nearly jacked up my back (again) so I don't do em there anymore.

They also have a pool and basketball courts, but I've never used either of those.

I go to Planet Fitness cause it’s cheap, the closest to my house, and they keep good hours. The only place that was within 10 minutes closed recently, so PF is my only option outside of making a home gym, which I don’t have space for. 

As for PF itself I can only comment on the one I go to. 

* The free weights are mostly dumbbells, which go up to 90lbs. The are a couple tiny barbells but they max out at like 50lbs.

* The lunk alarm is almost never used. I been going there a year and I can count on one hand the times they’ve rang someone. They mainly use it to get peoples attention to announce they’re closing. 

* They say they have personal trainers but I’ve only ever seen him during the day. If you go early morning or in the evening you’re SOL. 

* I have the black card membership so I can bring guests which is like 25/month, but the regular membership is 10/month iirc. 

* It gets fucking packed at peak times. Going after work it’s a huge pain getting to any popular equipment, and unless you’re going at the butt crack of dawn holidays are also really bad. 

Honestly my biggest complaint is the equipment selection. Free weights are basically just dumbbells, and the only things they have in abundance are treadmills/bikes/ellipticals. There are 4 Smith Machines, which is ok 90% of the time but if you go after work or on a holiday there a good chance you’ll be waiting for one. 

I’d love to go someplace else less crowded and with better stuff but everything is more expensive and farther away (and out of my way). 

I've always thought convenience was a huge deal when selecting a gym, as actually sticking with it is the most important element IMO. It's really easy to get out of the habit, and the more reasons you can give yourself not to work out on a given day, the worse your chances of staying with it are. Having to drive far or deal with a lot of traffic would make it really tough.  

Got home last night, went to our local PF today. Dumbbells went up to 75 lbs, there were 4 smith machines (there were at least 2 open the whole time I was there), and the machines had way more weight available than the one we went to on vacation- lots of high school baseball/football/wrestling in my town probably increases demand for more weight. Some of the belt driven machines were different, but worked the same muscle groups. Certainly looks to be worth going to on weekends since the wife already has a membership and it's 5 minutes from my house.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you guys do to work chest? 

It’s one of my weakest areas and i try hard to focus it, but every exercise I try to do for that area (push-ups, pec fly, dumbell press, etc) I always feel like I’m mostly on hitting shoulders and a tiny bit of arms. I always leave chest day with sore shoulders and my actual chest barely feels activated.