Stage Select

The Fitness Thread

I do flat bench, incline bench, then some type fly motion.  I don't do dumbell flies cause my shoulders but I do cable crossovers (upper and lower) or the fly machine.  I do light on those exercises so I can do sets of 20-25 reps.

Right now I'm doing dumbell for both flat and incline but I prefer bar.  Just working through shoulder issues though and dumbell lets me keep my shoulders in better position.

If you feel your triceps being more tired, move your grip a little wider.  If your shoulders are getting too tired, move your grip in a bit. You have to find that sweet spot and it varies per person.

Edited by purbeast
7 hours ago, purbeast said:

I do flat bench, incline bench, then some type fly motion.  I don't do dumbell flies cause my shoulders but I do cable crossovers (upper and lower) or the fly machine.  I do light on those exercises so I can do sets of 20-25 reps.

Right now I'm doing dumbell for both flat and incline but I prefer bar.  Just working through shoulder issues though and dumbell lets me keep my shoulders in better position.

If you feel your triceps being more tired, move your grip a little wider.  If your shoulders are getting too tired, move your grip in a bit. You have to find that sweet spot and it varies per person.

This advice definitely helped. Did work with those cable crosses. Gotta integrate that into my workout for sure. 

Thanks

2 hours ago, Vhozite said:

This advice definitely helped. Did work with those cable crosses. Gotta integrate that into my workout for sure. 

Thanks

And you may already know this, but you want to stick with the heavier/compound movements like bench pressing, before you do stuff like flies or cable crossovers, as far as the order of your exercises go in a single workout. 

This is in general too, like with legs you want to do squats before doing calf raises, shoulders you want to do shoulder presses before side raises, etc.

27 minutes ago, purbeast said:

And you may already know this, but you want to stick with the heavier/compound movements like bench pressing, before you do stuff like flies or cable crossovers, as far as the order of your exercises go in a single workout. 

This is in general too, like with legs you want to do squats before doing calf raises, shoulders you want to do shoulder presses before side raises, etc.

I actually didn’t know this. Why does it matter? 

The only thing I consider in terms of order is doing cardio last. Also I start every workout with chin-ups and a small amount of stretching.

21 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

I actually didn’t know this. Why does it matter? 

The only thing I consider in terms of order is doing cardio last. Also I start every workout with chin-ups and a small amount of stretching.

The compound lifts are using more than one muscle and just take more effort/work to get up than the minor exercises that are more focused.  So you don't want to do those minor ones and tire out part of the muscle group you are doing and then go do a compound lift when you aren't as fresh as you could be.  The overall goal is to put up as much weight as you can and if you do something like bench press after doing cable flies, chances are you aren't going to lift as much as you would had you done it before doing cable flies.  

Sure you may put up like 5 or so more lbs on the cable flies, but that would be doing like 30lbs instead of 25lbs (making up numbers here) whereas if you are benching after doing cable flies, maybe you will bench press 180lbs instead of 225lbs (again, totally making up numbers here).

Bench pressing 225lbs and doing cable flies with 25lbs is "better" than bench pressing 180lbs and doing cable flies with 30lbs.  

Chin ups are compound exercises though and are good to start with.  I am not a fan of them over pullups but they are still good to do, although they are only going to be helping out your back and biceps.

10 hours ago, Vhozite said:

I actually have my terms confused I start my work outs with pullups. Apparently I’ve had the terms backwards my whole life. 

But thanks for the advice. I’ll keep it in mind when I go tomorrow 👍🏽 

Yeah pullups are really good.  Unfortunately that is another thing that is bothering my shoulders now but I'm going to try them soon because my shoulders are feeling better.

12 hours ago, purbeast said:

The compound lifts are using more than one muscle and just take more effort/work to get up than the minor exercises that are more focused.  So you don't want to do those minor ones and tire out part of the muscle group you are doing and then go do a compound lift when you aren't as fresh as you could be.  The overall goal is to put up as much weight as you can and if you do something like bench press after doing cable flies, chances are you aren't going to lift as much as you would had you done it before doing cable flies.  

Sure you may put up like 5 or so more lbs on the cable flies, but that would be doing like 30lbs instead of 25lbs (making up numbers here) whereas if you are benching after doing cable flies, maybe you will bench press 180lbs instead of 225lbs (again, totally making up numbers here).

Bench pressing 225lbs and doing cable flies with 25lbs is "better" than bench pressing 180lbs and doing cable flies with 30lbs.  

Chin ups are compound exercises though and are good to start with.  I am not a fan of them over pullups but they are still good to do, although they are only going to be helping out your back and biceps.

This is all solid advice. Compound movements identify weak links in your movement chain. 

I just do dumb bell bench presses for chest. Pressing with dumb bells feels more natural. When done with proper form, the arms naturally just go up and and down. I prefer doing dumb bell exercises since they feel more natural. 

Edited by Seth Vega
  • 2 weeks later...

My heart is broken and I’ve been in an extremely shitty mood hating myself for 2+ days. 

In other words I’ve got my inner fire back. Been hitting the gym like a man possessed, and I’m finally back to my PR on the assisted bench press. 

Unfortunately I’m one of those people who needs bad things to happen to them for motivation. I’ve never accomplished anything while I was happy lol. 

Edited by Vhozite
19 hours ago, hanzohattori12 said:

What would be the best exercises for getting rid of man boobs?

I'd also suggest cutting back on fast food and processed food/sugars.  You'd be surprised how much soybeans and corn syrup are used for filler in modern day foods.  Eating food in it's primary form makes it difficult to over eat. 1000 cals of fast food is nothing but try eating 1000 cals of vegetables, brown rice and meat and you will be so stuffed.  Fast food is just empty calories.

Edited by J-ride

Just picked up a multi-grip barbell from an assbook seller for $50. Have been dealing with some shoulder pain, likely from heavy benching and sub-optimal form. Lots of people seem to swear by these for reducing shoulder strain/pain for heavy lifts, hoping I have a similar experience. Better form and more rear deltoid work should help as well.

Edited by Camacho

Love my multi grip bar for benching. I used to have elbow and shoulder pain when benching that it alleviated. The downside to it for me is that it didn’t feel great for overhead press or barbell row. It pushes out the bar path by nature of the width of the bar. So it wasn’t nearly as useful as I hoped but I’m still glad I got it since I enjoy the bench press. 

I'm going to have to get used to it- felt really strange when I did some reps on it. Had to go way down on weight also. Probably doesn't help that the one I got is a really cheap Rouge knockoff that weighs like 21 lbs. I noticed that my quick connect clips don't hold tight to it, which sucks. Spring clips are a bit better, but still a bit on the loose side.

It should be a partial legs and back lift so that you aren't lifting so much with your back.  In general I tell people to avoid deadlift unless they have someone to walk them through perfect form because most people do it wrong and end up hurting their backs for no reason.  I really think you need to have someone supervise you and watch your form.

I still use the deadlift but I prefer doing a really heavy farmer's walk to a deadlift in most instances, and especially for newer lifters.

There are some great deadlift instructional videos on YouTube: 

Here is just one example. However, it’s not really a must do exercise. You can train the muscles used in a deadlift through other exercises. I think the big thing is just coming up with a plan that targets all of the main muscle groups.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Honestly if they aren’t in the way of me working out i don’t care what anyone is doing. I get more annoyed by groups of people (3+) hogging a copious amount of equipment or being in one area super long time.

Early summer gym was filled to the brim with groups of like 3-5 high schoolers doing like one set every 10 minutes waiting for their turn in the rotation. 

Edited by Vhozite

Actually, since we are ranting about frustrating gym stuff, I want something off my chest. I know this sounds douche-y, but ever since I started working out more and getting in shape suddenly I have to hear every reason under the sun why people can’t do xyz. 

I want to workout but I just don’t have the time. I want to workout but I don’t want to be too buff (lol). I want to workout but there isn’t enough equipment here. I want to lose weight but I think I have >super specific and rare medical excuse they read about online<. Niggas want to workout with me but they don’t want to carve out time out of their day and they don’t want to take any responsibility for their own fitness and fall off the instant I stop spoon feeding them. And on and on. 

Ngl shit is getting real irritating. I love and support anyone on their fitness journey at any level, but I’m tired of people who won’t even try and making me listen to it. Genuine compliments are rare yet people projecting their insecurities on to me are a dime a dozen.

Speaking of equipment hogs, there are 2 young guys at my gym who workout together and take probably 30 minutes at every machine. Not because they're busting ass, but because they're looking at their goddamn phones constantly and laughing together about TikTok videos or something. They do like 1 set every 5 minutes at best, and they love to camp on a couple machines that my gym has only one of. Fucking annoying.

7 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Any body know how to build calves? I been gunning legs real hard and I see results above the knee but my calves still look like I skip leg day every week. I do calf raises like they’re going out of style but nada. 

Might have to ask these guys walking around with footballs on their calves what the secret is. 

I usually like this guy for workout tips. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 8:32 AM, Vhozite said:

Any body know how to build calves? I been gunning legs real hard and I see results above the knee but my calves still look like I skip leg day every week. I do calf raises like they’re going out of style but nada. 

Might have to ask these guys walking around with footballs on their calves what the secret is. 

Calves are 2 parts effort, 1 part genetics. That's a huge percentage to put into genetics, which explains the lack of growth. That's where I'm at. 

On 10/10/2022 at 4:29 PM, JGreen said:

I usually like this guy for workout tips. 

I'll hopefully buy one of his programs later tonight. Waiting on some cash.

On 10/25/2022 at 6:03 PM, Dayaan said:I'll hopefully buy one of his programs later tonight. Waiting on some cash.

From what I remember, his ideal program does include a good amount of gym equipment. However, there are substitutes for various exercises. I doubt you’ll have a problem if you go to a gym, but it could be tough with a home gym. 

On another note, stocking up on some low calorie snack foods. Got some grapes to freeze, popcorn, greek yogurt, pickles, jello, seaweed packs and kimchi. What are everyone’s go to snacks while losing weight?

10 hours ago, JGreen said:

From what I remember, his ideal program does include a good amount of gym equipment. However, there are substitutes for various exercises. I doubt you’ll have a problem if you go to a gym, but it could be tough with a home gym. 

On another note, stocking up on some low calorie snack foods. Got some grapes to freeze, popcorn, greek yogurt, pickles, jello, seaweed packs and kimchi. What are everyone’s go to snacks while losing weight?

We have a D1 gym in uni so I'm covered, thankfully. The replacement exercises are viable though.

For weight loss snacks I eat turkey and roast beef spinach wraps. Very filling. I also like yogurt. I also make ramen on my own, but that's less so a snack and more a healthy investment in those feelgood chemicals.

3 hours ago, Meier Link said:

I’m 135 pounds at 12 percent body fat. I am able to do 54 push ups,  11 pull ups, shoulder press two 30 pound dumbbells 15 times, curl two 30 pound dumbbells 10 times, tricep extend one 40 pound dumbbell 14 times.

I’ve got like ~5lbs on you last I weighed and these are roughly my numbers, give or take a few reps

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Damn I got like 70lbs on you all lol.

Probably got some years on you too though.

You could just be tall too. I'm hovering around 135 lbs at the moment and have that supersonic south asian teenager metabolism still while being 5 and a half feet tall. I am also still a baby but while I'm done growing in height, I still have muscle left to put on. 🙂 

8 hours ago, Dayaan said:

You could just be tall too. I'm hovering around 135 lbs at the moment and have that supersonic south asian teenager metabolism still while being 5 and a half feet tall. I am also still a baby but while I'm done growing in height, I still have muscle left to put on. 🙂 

I'm just under 6'.

It was definitely tough for me to put on weight/size until I was in my mid 20's due partially to my metabolism too.  I was always like 160lbs until I got out of college.  I was also doing stuff "wrong" for years while in college and over training while not eating enough.  So that didn't help me gain weight.  But I think metabolism being fast and then slowing down a bit in my mid 20's helped too.

I guess my birth hypertension will just be managed more by health based essentials from now on. I just need to be more mature and consistent with that. My default weight goal will range around 180 to 200. It's been a long time seeing at least most of my hour shaped figure again and not feel like such a tank. I need to stick with more positive aspects concerning health, fitness, and well being. I wish to never let go of it again.  It's dangerous...

Edited by Emptyeyes_
On 10/28/2022 at 6:40 AM, purbeast said:

I'm just under 6'.

It was definitely tough for me to put on weight/size until I was in my mid 20's due partially to my metabolism too.  I was always like 160lbs until I got out of college.  I was also doing stuff "wrong" for years while in college and over training while not eating enough.  So that didn't help me gain weight.  But I think metabolism being fast and then slowing down a bit in my mid 20's helped too.

Let's hope I get that slow metabolism soon as well. It's hard to put on weight. Bulking went really bad for me, even though it a mathematical success. I'm not in my twenties so I have some time.