Stage Select

Wake up Samurai: the Cyberpunk 2077 thread

Anyway, this will be the place to shoot the shit about our experiences with the next big AAA game. I'm an old Cyberpunk 2020 table top player, so if you have any really general background questions be sure to ask.

Warning: I encourage people to hide their spoilers, but none of us are here to be the spoiler police.- READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

2 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

As an old 2020 player is there anything you think we who haven't played should know before going in? Any lore or anything? 

I'm hype as hell. I can't wait. Today is the first time I've felt the new game I can't have yet itch since High School. 

Rather than any one specific thing, I'd make sure you have a tempered expectation of the setting: it's high tech urban dystopia, but it's a high tech urban dystopia influenced strongly by how that might have looked to a science fiction author writing in the mid 1980's. 

Many of the themes remain salient today- mega-corporations supplanting the government for example.  But some of the unforeseeable political developments that happened in-between for the real world didn't occur in that setting.  The Soviet Union is still a thing in the game world, for example.

1 hour ago, Reticently said:

Rather than any one specific thing, I'd make sure you have a tempered expectation of the setting: it's high tech urban dystopia, but it's a high tech urban dystopia influenced strongly by how that might have looked to a science fiction author writing in the mid 1980's. 

Oh for sure. That is deffinitly half my hype. I love future retro. 

1 hour ago, Reticently said:

Many of the themes remain salient today- mega-corporations supplanting the government for example.  But some of the unforeseeable political developments that happened in-between for the real world didn't occur in that setting.  The Soviet Union is still a thing in the game world, for example.

Yea I've done a bit of reading on the setting and the setting seems to diverge from our own heavily around the late 70s and 80s and just goes nuts from there. I'm really excited to see how CDPR interpreted the setting. Looks dope. 

17 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Lol no man, full create a character. How did you miss everyone losing their minds when they learned you could customize your dick and balls?

You'd probably be surprised how much coverage of this game I managed to miss. I'm going in pretty cold 

Which led to some mild shock when I saw some of the options here on the character select... 

1619nb.gif.17ba5df49f29a9f0675d6848a82ccced.gif

24 minutes ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

I'm into Act 1 a little bit, right before the meet with Deshawn. I'll play some more before work tomorrow on PC. Was kinda tripped out a bit initially also, because my GPU settings went to Ultra everything. I'll put my thoughts regarding this in the PC Gaming thread in Tech Talk.

So did mine I'm getting over 100fps thought. 105.9 to be exact.

OH FUCK, CYBERPUNK 2077 IS OFF THE HOOK.

Hand to Hand needs some work, but otherwise the combat is excellent.
And it wasn’t clear to me how to do a Take Down in that Tutorial area, on PC it’s your F Key once you get into position. Otherwise it’s what ever you action button is on consoles.

Oh the “Glitches” everyone bitching about? Thats not the game that’s glitching.
That literally part of the aesthetic, this is not mean saying its “feature not a bug”, no the glitchiness you see is literally a visual effect to sell you off that your a cyborg. It’s like the film scratches you see in LA Noir.

this has been DELICIOUS so far...it's already worth every penny to me.  I started with Corp path.... started off with my initial 7 points put into:

Intelligence = 6, Technical Ability = 4, Cool = 6.... 

I intend for the hacking skills and a certain degree of stealth to be a major part of V's gameplan.  That first bit of action played out so damn cool, man... I got hacks going on most of the enemies in that room... 1 dude I blinded with the "optics" hack... so I could easily just walk right up to him...shot him in the back of the head....yeah, the stealthy approach had already gone to shit by that point, of course.  After that firefight we rescued someone, now I've leveled up for the first time and chilled out back at home.

I'm assuming there will be plenty of opportunities for me to make V into a self-serving, duplicitous asshole...at least that's my intention for how the main character will be here. (*haha yeah that's usually how I like things to play out in any game where you get the option to *not* be such a nice, respectable person.  It's always fun to see how things play out.)

I mean, the game definitely has some glitches. I think it's pretty easy to discern between the intentional and unintentional ones. 

Haven't run into any yet that actually affect gameplay but, I've definitely seen some weird stuff like character's mouths not moving when they talk or cutscenes not rendering complete textures... or missing textures entirely.  It's strange. 

Actually stopped fiddling with the character creator and made some progress last night. My actual V, I'm playing a dude, is sort of basic though. I was annoyed that you could not just have an earring in each ear without all the extra piercings. Like how, in such an expansive creator, is that  not an option. They let you make Dirk Diggler but you can't have two earrings? 🤔

Edited by Darc_Requiem
Just now, M A R T I A N said:

There's an option to have earrings on each ear with no facial piercings. My character has them. But I don't think there's any that are symmetrical 

I didn't see one. My buddy and I were in Discord (I only hate it as forum replacement, it's a good Skype replacement.)  and he couldn't find the option either. I just want two studs not trying to look like pinhead from Hellraiser.

22 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

I need to get this off my chest...the driving is complete buns. Wasn’t expecting a damn driving sim or anything but this is lowkey ass. Not a big deal but it does bug me.

Have you tried switching to 3rd person for driving? It helped me a lot. 1st person driving is cheeks in Cyberpunk  IMO. 3rd person seems passable at least.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

Might be my imagination but I think different vehicles handle differently, like they’re all bad, but some are better than others. Like the beginner car seems more manageable than basically any car I’ve stolen. All the bikes so far seem to understeer.

Unrelated, but can you buy ammo from the gun shops? I’m assuming you can but the one I went to didn’t appear to sell any. 

So I did get a couple of hours playtime in before a total system reboot fucked me- maybe too much heat from all that ray tracing?

Nomad background, 6 Reflex, 6 Tech, 4 Cool, hard difficulty.

Outside of my PC fucking up, zero bugs worth mentioning.  It shows that they designed this for PC, given the reports on console performance.

Ray tracing wasn't bad, 3060 ti at 1080p 144hz, getting 55-72 fps with DLSS while looking pretty. Barely tweaked the optional graphics settings from the auto presets.

Gameplay was crisp. The stealth seems mildly basic but it's serviceable.  I low key hate combat hacking so far, still need to get used to it.  And maybe too much shit is showing up on the scanner- really need to get used to picking out the useful bits from the cluttered flagged bits of trash you can pick up.