Stage Select

DNF Duel - Dungeon Fighter....Fighter from Arc Systems Works!

As of now, two things can kill the game off for me even before release 

1) it's ridiculously simplified where movement is limited, combo routes are basically on rails, that sort of stuff. So far we're seeing normals into specials into specials into supers. No dashes, running, blocking, defensive mechanics 

Or

2) it's delay netcode instead of rollback. So far we only have a random interview by a Latino fighting games site with ArcSys from last year where it said dnf will have the latter. But after the failure of granblue there's literally no point to even bother with dnf if it's delay 

On 12/4/2021 at 11:15 AM, PVL_93_RU said:

Do they though? 

As far as we know, FighterZ support has ended (maybe just one more patch left) . Granblue support is ending with Vira's DLC next month. Strive currently has two more DLC characters in the pipeline plus future patches.

BlazBlue is dead. Cross tag is dead. And besides that nothing is seemingly going on inside the studio 

Anyways striker has a cool trailer. It seems like dnf does have some air combo element to it since she does three jabs before a cancel into a special, which is good news. I was worried it'd be a carbon copy of the beatemup with next to no jumping or movement above ground 

I thought CyGames took over Granblue shortly before launch.

Oh shit that's..... huge actually

so now we know there will be at least 10 characters in base roster (further confirming my theory that every class will have a subclass in the game)

but most importantly we'll find out how the damn game plays AND what kind of netcode it will be?

and as soon as this Friday?

DNF literally went from being absent from the media for a year to dropping news left and right

makes me believe it's going to be a 2022 release after all

On 12/12/2021 at 8:44 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

I thought CyGames took over Granblue shortly before launch.

Edit because i am a moron and misunderstood the post you were replying.

Kind of late, but let me try to bting some insight

Once the full development of those games are done, the games are left with skeleton crews to maintain the code, and add the new chars when are finished.

Contrary to popular belief, there is not really a BB team or Red team, since there is a lot of overlap between the members of each team.

So even if the "BB Team" is not working on BB, is not like they are free, they are working on other projects within the company.

Since no company wants to have employees being idle/doing nothing.

Is either moving them to new teams and projects or just letting them go.

It is known that ASW has been upsizing for upcoming projects.

Nothing announced so far for what could it be, but from what i have been told, there are more projects in the pipeline.

(One of them, is supposedly a P5 fighting game, hence why the re release of P4A on current consoles)

As regarding Cygames taking over the game, as far as i know, is the same with DBFZ, they have a skeleton crew compromised from people of ASW and the Ip Owner working on the game until the development finishes (like with DBFZ with the last season char)

Unlike P4A, which was still considered an inhouse game for ASW with an Ip they licensed (much like MVC and CVS for capcom), DBFZ and GBFVS are games that once their development is finished, all code is gave to the Ip holders.

In theory this means that if they have personnel that has been trained by ASW, the games can be futher developed by people within the companies.

But so far, it seems that is not the case for GBFVS, since as we saw with the last announcements, there is still new development being made for the game, that will include system changes, so is probable that the project was upsized actually.

BTW, this way those 2 games have been made opens the door of a DBFZ2 being made by Bandai Namco without ASW, using the tools and code left by ASW as the basis.

Edited by Hecatom
On 12/4/2021 at 5:38 PM, Sonero said:

What kind of netcode is it getting?

Last i know, from what has been said publicly in interviews and from what i was told by people before the announcements, is that every game from ASW after Strive will use rollback.

Now, what i don't know if this game is part of that claim, since for all we know, the game could have entered pre production and production before Strive, making it exempt from that.
But seeing how they are retrofitting games with rollback, i think it will be dumb to not give this game a better chance to succeed.

After all, is in their best interest that games developed by them reach more people since it puts more eyes on them, not only for people to notice their own games, but for Ip holders to hire them for new games.

On 12/5/2021 at 3:15 AM, PVL_93_RU said:

As of now, two things can kill the game off for me even before release 

1) it's ridiculously simplified where movement is limited, combo routes are basically on rails, that sort of stuff. So far we're seeing normals into specials into specials into supers. No dashes, running, blocking, defensive mechanics 

Or

2) it's delay netcode instead of rollback. So far we only have a random interview by a Latino fighting games site with ArcSys from last year where it said dnf will have the latter. But after the failure of granblue there's literally no point to even bother with dnf if it's delay 

I disagree with the 1st one.

There is nothing wrong on having new ips that serve as gateway for new players into the genre.

If the gameplay is solid, the lack of any of what you mentioned shouldn't be a problem, since other games are also simple in different areas and still thrive without any issue.

On 12/4/2021 at 8:54 AM, Darc_Requiem said:

I know ArcSys is involved but isn't Eighting doing all the heavy lifting from a dev standpoint? Side note: Glad to see that Eighting is still around. 

On 12/4/2021 at 9:06 AM, Hawkingbird said:

Eighting is definitely doing the heavylifting. Arc themselves got their hands on too many other games to be deeply involved with this one. They likely going to handle the publishing side and provide tools for Eighting. 

For what i know, is not that they are doing the heavy lifting perse, but they are working as helping studio.

There are people from ASW acting as managers, lead programmers and other leadership/management positions, plus they are using ASW owns tech.

And while ASW has been upsizing, they are still what can be considered a small company.

Many people like to think of team Red and Team BB as separated entities in the company, but the truth is that there is a great overlap between personal of said "teams".

They have even publicly stated it on old interviews.

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

I disagree with the 1st one.

There is nothing wrong on having new ips that serve as gateway for new players into the genre.

If the gameplay is solid, the lack of any of what you mentioned shouldn't be a problem, since other games are also simple in different areas and still thrive without any issue.

Nothing wrong with some of the game being simple it's just a problem when they make it too simple.  Easy to pick up but hard to master should be the goal.   Like Momochi said, simple combos for basic damage and harder combos for more damage.  

So, looking at the buttons on the pdfs, i guess that we have a button scheme like

A, B, S, MS, AS

Where A and B are normals, S is special moves, MS is meter burn/ex specials? and AS supers or maybe a unique trait ability?

I guess that it will be very similar to GBFVS but with more mobility/less SF'ish

5 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

That info is good and all, but what the fuck is conversion 🤣

Gotta be baptized by a korean priest into the church of eSports ify ou want more meter.

Or if they're going after whales, the button is attached to you spending real money for meter during games.

Edit: you can turn grey health into MP for specials. So kind of a mix between Psychic Force and..what's his face in MvC3.

5 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Gotta be baptized by a korean priest into the church of eSports ify ou want more meter.

Or if they're going after whales, the button is attached to you spending real money for meter during games.

Edit: you can turn grey health into MP for specials. So kind of a mix between Psychic Force and..what's his face in MvC3.

Oh, so it means that is like a pseudo cancel, the way you describe it made it sound like Baroque from Tatsunoko vs Capcom.

Where you sacrificed health for a roman cancel that depending on how recoverable health you sacrificed it boosted your damage ala X-Factor.

Kind of fitting that a game co developed by 8thing has this mechanic, lol.

For what i assume based on the trailers and little info so far, the combo route could be something like normals, specials, metered specials, conversion?, anything else.

I am gonna assume that the supers are more like glorified finishers seeing how complex their animations are, maybe their activation could be tied to low health like in mk11?

(pure speculation from my part here), since dunno why but i think that MP is only for specials.

17 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

since dunno why but i think that MP is only for specials.

it seems like there are command "specials" which are done with direction + S button

then the actual specials that work like Granblue (direction or motion + MP button)

from the movelist it seems that the latter consume MP, hence the name of the category. The gameplay loop here is you land S moves to generate MP for MP moves

what's unclear to me are the mentions of Awakening state. So everybody has an install sort of? And supers are one button too?

Edited by PVL_93_RU