Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

4 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Ships sailed. China was already starting to look out US films before this latest lock down. Disney's kissed China's ass the most and they've been getting denied. Shang Chi isn't even getting a Chinese release as far as I know.

I won't hold my breath but maybe it'll get to a point where they tell the CCP to go fuck themselves.

11 hours ago, axeman61 said:

It's random, but crazy to think that that Jeopardy guy (Mike Richards) would still have a job if he just Executive Produced like always and didn't try to become the host of Jeopardy. The more I look into his situation, it seems that's the real core of why that weak shit they had on him toppled him. The fans didn't want him as host. I bet money that if Levar Burton had become host and had similar accusations, nobody would have cared.

disagree. theirs a reason their wasnt a big push by the fanbase to have him as a perm host. Almost unilaterally the fanbase of jepoardy hated levar as host. It was a very one and your done approach. Im constantly seeing comments about how he was nervous and uncomfortable . Which personally seems totally normal for someones first time doing something like that...its not like hes wayne brady whos made a career of being on his feet in uncomfortable situations. if they added some sort of scandal to it..the fans would have booted him instantly.

Just now, OPTIMUS124 said:

Then this makes me wonder why isn't it on D+? 

They are "experimenting" with a new way to release the movies, 1st on theaters, and 45 days later on D+.

They have not said yet if it will be directly on D+ or if it will be a rent like Black Widow was.

In fact, the experimenting line about the release was what made the actor to go on a rant because he misunderstood what Bob Cheppeck was talking about.

Or how in The Martian, it was China's secret space project what saved the day and allowed Nasa to save Matt Damon.

Meanwhile, Gravity was probably more in line with reality on what China would do, with China being the cause of the disaster that caused the problems in the movie, and caused the end of space exploration for the next couple of centuries 🤣

Edited by Hecatom
33 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Maaan I know companies main goal is to chase money but this shit with China has gone beyond out of control at this point.  We need to grow our spines back on this and if they don't want to accept movies cause of Winnie the Pooh's mere existence then fuck them to be honest. 

Regimes like theirs rely on total control of what people see, hear, etc and they're such a massive market that that coupled with the fact that corporations are tied to constant growth means unless these corporations (who are constantly virtue signaling about things that are popular to virtue signal about back here but silent on some of the atrocities over there) are willing to take an L and miss out on some profits, that won't happen. 

Edited by DoctaMario
2 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Regimes like theirs rely on total control of what people see, hear, etc. Part of the reason the Soviet Union fell was because they didn't keep close enough tabs on that.

I get that but the issue is when they start trying to control people other than their own constituents.  Being accomodating is one thing, its another when someone millions of miles away is saying 'hey...we don't 80% of what you are doing and we want you to cut it out. "  Especially if it isn't anything egregious or anything seriously offensive to anyone.  I need Hollywood to understand that if they don't get China's money then they will be ok.  Yes its a large pot that you could be potentially missing out on but they were doing fine before and they'll do fine without them now.    I'm not saying don't release anything over there, I'm saying when they ask for something ridiculous that may compromise the vision of the film then I'd just tell them 'Well...guess you're one of a few countries this movie isn't releasing in then'. 

28 minutes ago, axeman61 said:

That's easy to say, but it's hard when China is a big market and not going to back down on their "no list" any time soon. Only so many movies Hollywood can "take a stand" on before those pockets are in the ICU. I think Fast 9 got a crazy percentage (1/3rd or more) of its profit from China.

The question should be 'If this movie doesn't release in China, will it still be profitable?'  If the answer is yes then it should be an easily fuck'em.  Anything past that point if they're asking you to do something asinine is just pure greed over principles.

17 hours ago, axeman61 said:

That's easy to say, but it's hard when China is a big market and not going to back down on their "no list" any time soon. Only so many movies Hollywood can "take a stand" on before those pockets are in the ICU. I think Fast 9 got a crazy percentage (1/3rd or more) of its profit from China.

Problem is kissing their ass and making your movie "China friendly" doesn't guarantee that you'll be able to release it there. Hollywood doesn't have to take stand. China is telling them to kick rocks regardless. Their own industry is catching hands from them.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
6 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I get that but the issue is when they start trying to control people other than their own constituents.  Being accomodating is one thing, its another when someone millions of miles away is saying 'hey...we don't 80% of what you are doing and we want you to cut it out. "  Especially if it isn't anything egregious or anything seriously offensive to anyone.  I need Hollywood to understand that if they don't get China's money then they will be ok.  Yes its a large pot that you could be potentially missing out on but they were doing fine before and they'll do fine without them now.    I'm not saying don't release anything over there, I'm saying when they ask for something ridiculous that may compromise the vision of the film then I'd just tell them 'Well...guess you're one of a few countries this movie isn't releasing in then'. 

The movie industry is trying to figure out how they balance those massive budgets with the fact that people don't really go to theaters like they used to, they're gonna keep getting honeydicked by China for the foreseeable future. 

11 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

The movie industry is trying to figure out how they balance those massive budgets with the fact that people don't really go to theaters like they used to, they're gonna keep getting honeydicked by China for the foreseeable future. 

They can't count on China any more. They arbitrarily deny films that have been made to meet theirs demands. Winnie The Pooh is on a power trip even by Chinese standards.

22 hours ago, iStu X said:

House/Powers of X  is so good. 

they’re doing a similar story for wolverine next year called The Lives/Deaths of Wolverine 

Did they collect the next event in this X-men run or should i just grab individual volumes? I know Magento is up for trial and some other shenanigans are afoot.