Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

12 hours ago, Scanman said:

Is anyone actually worried about the theoretical government shutdown? They do this show every 2 years.

I for one would not care 1 bit if they actually had to stop borrowing money and run a semi-balanced budget.

A brief shutdown is legitimately no big deal for the vast majority of people.  Defaulting is a much bigger hazard.

I'd mostly be interested in a change that keeps the debt ceiling from being held hostage by politicians, and effectively directs taxes at the places where way too much of the money the US gov't prints ends up.  Government spending too much money into existence isn't a problem if they able to quickly tax enough of it back out of existence, and it isn't the working class holding those stacks.

As a regular person you have no control over any of it so it's not generally worth worrying about. That's why a lot of people stop voting and stop trying in general. How many times did they ignore public will and vocal campaigns against SOPA and repealing Net Neutrality? Those fuckers just keep shoving it through until eventually they were able to. Meanwhile the rest of the time both parties do this song and dance on how they want to help people but the other side is blocking them, and drag their feet on anything beneficial. That's just how stuff works. 

The Panama and Pandora papers just don't even really matter. People don't care. Words don't get things done unless you own the guns pointed at everyone else's heads. 

I was thinking about singing at bestie's wedding. I think they are on the fence about me singing there, because my singing voice is very soft/relaxed. I guess they are looking for a powerful singing voice. LOL. I was practicing new song lyrics lately and even if I raise up my performance when I'm drunk, my voice is still soft. LOL.

11 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

I never wore a ring in either marriage.  First marriage the job I worked at didnt allow jewelry of any kind.  I spent most of my time at work so I wasnt gonna pay for a ring I could never wear.  Second one was very similar reasons.  I dont really like wearing any jewelry anyhow...the last 5 years or so I have liked to wear bracelets though.

I was never comfortable with rings. I barely wore mine when I was married. I didn't grow up wearing rings and just never felt comfortable with it on. I rather have had it as a necklace if anything. 

I've never been a jewelry guy, and between the pandemic and mostly working at home I think I've only worn my wedding ring two or three times in the last 2 years.

If I have to be on site for work it sometimes adds an extra bit of "professional" to whatever I'm wearing, but if I have to fly to the site fuck worrying about getting it through airport security.

Finally watched that Chappelle special.

When I saw that material live at the taping in August, I had hoped that there was a lot more and I just caught a specific set he was doing. Turns out I was wrong. I hope he meant it when he said he was done with jokes about that community. I don't really give a fuck either way about backlash or similar shit. But I'm feeling now, just like I did then, that he wasted too much of what's going to be his last special (for a while) venting about the LGBT+ community. I'm not a stan for that community or anything, but I guess I expected more than that from him. I mean in terms of variety; his other specials hit a wide range of topics and had great jokes. This focused on mostly one and had okay jokes, minus a few and that story at the end.

I might be bugging, but I really hoped I'd feel different when I sat down and watched it. I guess I'll still see him if he performs near me again though.

8 minutes ago, Maxx said:

I was never comfortable with rings. I barely wore mine when I was married. I didn't grow up wearing rings and just never felt comfortable with it on. I rather have had it as a necklace if anything. 

I got a ring for college (graduation gift from my late Great-Aunt) and that sucker was heavy. It actually cause some problems on my ring finger when I wore it too long. My wedding band I keep on except when I am prepping meat. Since it's tungsten, I don't really need to clean it. Problem is that it can't be resized. It's a little loose on me ring finger now since I've dropped a bit of weight. 

man, this huge spider built a web in a perfect spot on my porch... I just happened to be checking it out again now, and he was already in the middle of wrapping up 1 victim when another bug got caught, so I tuned in to this show just in time... it left the previous victim and rushed over to wrap that new one with the quickness.  I think it was a moth...in seconds he was wrapped up like a mummy... had absolutely no chance.  Heh, nice.  The spider obviously remembered his training and did well today.

I Like It Good Job GIF

3 hours ago, axeman61 said:

Finally watched that Chappelle special.

When I saw that material live at the taping in August, I had hoped that there was a lot more and I just caught a specific set he was doing. Turns out I was wrong. I hope he meant it when he said he was done with jokes about that community. I don't really give a fuck either way about backlash or similar shit. But I'm feeling now, just like I did then, that he wasted too much of what's going to be his last special (for a while) venting about the LGBT+ community. I'm not a stan for that community or anything, but I guess I expected more than that from him. I mean in terms of variety; his other specials hit a wide range of topics and had great jokes. This focused on mostly one and had okay jokes, minus a few and that story at the end.

I might be bugging, but I really hoped I'd feel different when I sat down and watched it. I guess I'll still see him if he performs near me again though.

My general feel is trans people are allowed to feel what they feel. It doesn't make it right or wrong but they are allowed to it. 

I think only trans people can truly say if something is offensive to their community. It's interesting to watch people tell them what is or isn't offensive to trans. 

I also find it weird just because Dave was friends with a trans woman who liked his jokes..doesn't mean the community is OK. 1 person doesn't rep them.. The same way if 1 black person says it's OK for a non black person to say the n word doesn't mean the whole community is OK. 

Dave is absolutely in his right to say what he wants. But that doesn't mean he's free from scrutiny or repercussions. 

I have yet to see one trans person I know that's OK with his line of talking. That friends family thinks it's his way of grieving which it may be...just everyone on the outside don't see it that way 

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I'm never getting married but if a chick hit's me up with one of these I may change my mind 🤣

When we started getting things ready she said I could do the design. I figured if I am gonna wear something, I wanted it to uniquely represent both of us. Coincidentally, on the ring's website, that design was called the "Optimus". I added the Autobot logo 😄.

10 hours ago, Reticently said:

A brief shutdown is legitimately no big deal for the vast majority of people.  Defaulting is a much bigger hazard.

I'd mostly be interested in a change that keeps the debt ceiling from being held hostage by politicians, and effectively directs taxes at the places where way too much of the money the US gov't prints ends up.  Government spending too much money into existence isn't a problem if they able to quickly tax enough of it back out of existence, and it isn't the working class holding those stacks.

I totally agree. As I said, a "shutdown" is not a default, but rather a sign that the US government can no longer borrow extra money. So the media always tries to conflate the 2, because the mainstream media benefits from deficit spending (through subsidies or otherwise).

Your solution would work but unfortunately the government seems completely unable to tax enough to cover the spending, and they haven't been since Ike.

If a president actually tried to run a balanced budget (in reality, not one of these "we'll balance it with future growth" fantasy budgets), he'd be tarred worse than Trump was. There's just way too many flunkies at the government trough.

7 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

I got a ring for college (graduation gift from my late Great-Aunt) and that sucker was heavy. It actually cause some problems on my ring finger when I wore it too long. My wedding band I keep on except when I am prepping meat. Since it's tungsten, I don't really need to clean it. Problem is that it can't be resized. It's a little loose on me ring finger now since I've dropped a bit of weight. 

College rings are so silly to me.

I have a simple gold wedding band, doesn't bother me too much since the price of the ring was reasonably close to its gold value. The main problem with wedding rings is the fucking diamonds, which jewelry stores charge an arm and leg for. Diamonds are actually not valuable at all, (you probably know this but for everyone else's benefit) we can manufacture diamonds pretty easily in labs/factories. We already do that for diamond plated drills.

But yeah, in East Asia wedding rings have not been a traditional thing to do but it's increasingly popular, along with western (read: white) wedding dresses, as opposed to red.

-----------------------------------

SRK forums are apparently live again (I just logged in). No offense to MrBee, but.... thoughts everyone?

General Discussion is probably going to be gone, and the forums will be compressed.

-----------------------------------

Edited by Scanman
36 minutes ago, Scanman said:

SRK forums are apparently live again (I just logged in). No offense to MrBee, but.... thoughts everyone?

General Discussion is probably going to be gone, and the forums will be compressed.

They should put that thing out if its misery. They already sold Evo. Why bother at all anymore? Nobody posts there and they haven't for some time. FGC is puny but it's probably mostly on r/kappa and eventhubs, and otherwise scattered across discord servers and sites like this one (this is the only one I know or care to be on though). 

White Sox Fan KO’d by Vicious Right Hook After Having Beer Dumped on His Head at Astros Playoff Game

Before the fight, the White Sox fan was making an obscene gesture with his middle finger to the crowd while walking up the stairs, but didn’t appear intent on things turning physical. It’s unclear if something else may have happened to warrant the arrest.

Edited by AriesWarlock

The Decades network marathon this weekend is the old George Reeves Superman show (haha the "Dad bod" version of Superman...that guy had all the muscle-definition of the Pillsbury Doughboy)....I remember seeing the old repeats on syndicated timeslots when I was a kid but I never really watched it before....it was a tough sell since in my childhood, we were in an time where the Christopher Reeve Superman was already a thing, and there was the old 1940s cartoons with that incredible animation....then of course later there was the 90s-era cartoons.

Currently, Dark Shadows is on....this has been rather dull each time I've watched....but there would be good potential if this show got a modern remake.  At least, on anything except CW of course since you all know how the showrunners and writers like to operate over there.  They never pass up any opportunity to shove obvious agendas down the audience's throats.

Edited by MillionX
14 hours ago, Maxx said:

My general feel is trans people are allowed to feel what they feel. It doesn't make it right or wrong but they are allowed to it. 

I think only trans people can truly say if something is offensive to their community. It's interesting to watch people tell them what is or isn't offensive to trans. 

I also find it weird just because Dave was friends with a trans woman who liked his jokes..doesn't mean the community is OK. 1 person doesn't rep them.. The same way if 1 black person says it's OK for a non black person to say the n word doesn't mean the whole community is OK. 

Dave is absolutely in his right to say what he wants. But that doesn't mean he's free from scrutiny or repercussions. 

I have yet to see one trans person I know that's OK with his line of talking. That friends family thinks it's his way of grieving which it may be...just everyone on the outside don't see it that way 

That's another thing. I'm not in the LGBT+ streets like that, but even I know most of his talking points were old hat/regressive. He didn't bring anything new there. On Sticks and Stones, there was at least the Car metaphor/joke for that community, which was nice and creative. Here, it felt like he was just talking shit we've seen debated, with some jokes sprinkled in.

Again, I hope he's truly done talking about the LGBTs. When I was watching this set live, I was actually saying things in my head like:

"Hmm. He's going to switch topics at some point, right?"

"Oh, wait. I heard about this. Daphne is trans fan of his that killed herself. So, whatever he's going to say, this has to be the closer."

I had NONE of those type of thoughts in 2019 when I saw Dave live, working on the set that would become Sticks and Stones. I was mostly laughing the whole way through. This time I had MAYBE 5 genuine laughs. I really hope he gets back to other topics.

Edited by axeman61
4 hours ago, axeman61 said:

That's another thing. I'm not in the LGBT+ streets like that, but even I know most of his talking points were old hat/regressive. He didn't bring anything new there. On Sticks and Stones, there was at least the Car metaphor/joke for that community, which was nice and creative. Here, it felt like he was just talking shit we've seen debated, with some jokes sprinkled in.

Again, I hope he's truly done talking about the LGBTs. When I was watching this set live, I was actually saying things in my head like:

"Hmm. He's going to switch topics at some point, right?"

"Oh, wait. I heard about this. Daphne is trans fan of his that killed herself. So, whatever he's going to say, this has to be the closer."

I had NONE of those type of thoughts in 2019 when I saw Dave live, working on the set that would become Sticks and Stones. I was mostly laughing the whole way through. This time I had MAYBE 5 genuine laughs. I really hope he gets back to other topics.

So I pretty much posted the same thoughts on my fb and this dude came out being mad. Lol. He doesn't get how pop culture has power, he's a "it's just jokes" guy. I tried to explain to him how what people see on TV can affect how they view and interpret how the they interact in real life. 

It's hard to explain to people why someone like Dave can be good or bad. He has power through his words and we hope he tries to use it better. 

The idea he solely zoned in on the lgbtq is weird. But I'm curious of he's about to start a trend of comedians using them more or if it's just something only he can get away with. 

Dave Chappelle Refuses to Cave to 2SLGBTQQIA+ Cancel Mob: ‘F**k Twitter. F**k NBC News, ABC News’

davechappelle6-640x480.jpg

Stand-up comedian Dave Chappelle offered no apologies to the Alphabet mafia when he appeared at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles on Thursday, reportedly telling the appreciative crowd “if this is what being canceled is like, I love it.”

The comedian also blasted establishment media outlets, many of whom have attacked his new Netflix show as transphobic.”Fuck Twitter. Fuck NBC News, ABC News, all these stupid ass networks. I’m not talking to them. I’m talking to you. This is real life,” he said, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Dave Chappelle has come under fire from transgender activists for his latest Netflix special The Closer in which he tells several transgender and gay jokes and declares that “gender is fact.” GLAAD has condemned the comedian while the National Black Justice Coalition — which focuses on black 2SLGBTQQIA+ issues — is demanding Netflix pull the show.

“It is deeply disappointing that Netflix allowed Dave Chappelle’s lazy and hostile transphobia and homophobia to air,” NBJC said in a statement. “Netflix should immediately pull The Closer from its platform and directly apologize to the transgender community.”

The Closer has also provoked outrage from transgender Dear White People showrunner Jaclyn Moore. The male-to-female Moore, who is white, declared being “done” with Netflix “as long as they continue to put out and profit from blatantly and dangerously transphobic content.”

Chappelle isn’t caving to the mob. The comedian was at the Hollywood Bowl for a screening of a documentary about the comedy summer camp for kids he put on in his home state of Ohio. The celebrity crowd reportedly included Brad Pitt, Snoop Dogg, Tiffany Haddish, Lizzo, Jon Hamm, and Stevie Wonder.

“If this is what being cancelled is about, I love it,” Chappelle said, according to multiple reports. “I don’t know what to tell you, except I’m a bad motherfucker.”

Chappelle didn’t dwell on the transgender controversy, reportedly telling the crowd, “this is the kindness conspiracy.”