Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

Makes me think.  I went to the doctor a few days ago.  And a few days before that.  Gettin' older so I figured have him do some labs, check out my lungs and heart.  Got me a clean bill of health...pretty much.  Cholesterol is a bit high so he put me on a pill for that.  The thing that surprised me the most is that I lost 30 pounds in a month.  I've been on a soup like diet with some solids here and there.  I had to put another notch in my belt so my pants would stay up. 

Dungeons & Dragons has come a hell of a long way, except in one very precise area: units of measurement.

The latest 5th Edition, and revisions to it over the years, has modernised and streamlined all sorts of things. It’s brand of approachable table-top design isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but it has established a precedent: if Wizards thinks it makes sense for the greater good, then anything — skills, prior characterisations, lore, popular crossovers — is up for grabs.

Except, apparently, the metric system.

153d67110bd5f8ef069f1e4aab60834c.jpg

Spoiler

Fans have been calling on Wizards to toss out the imperial system for years, and with good reason. The vast majority of the world, unlike the United States, doesn’t use the imperial system. So while it made sense that D&D was originally based on imperial units, there’s tens of millions of players worldwide who have enough math to do already when it comes to a session of D&D.

There’s lots of ways the confusion about imperial vs. metric pans out in a real-life scenario, but I quite liked this quip from one person who was petitioning Wizards to have a metric conversion button in D&D Beyond:

DM: About 1000 feet away from you on the hill stands a lone tower with lights coming out from it.

Player 1 *Thoughts*: 200 squares away! Got it!

Player 2 *Thoughts*: 1000 feet = 1000 m (3280ft) so the tower is very far away

Player 3 *Thoughts*: Who cares how long away it is! CHARGE! COMBAT WOO!

So naturally, there’s a petition to give the imperial system the boot once and for all.

be03060fbaa5427bf4fa7992700fc3d5.jpg

“Only three countries in the world (officially) still use the Imperial System and it continues to be a sore spot for the education and enjoyment of anyone outside of the US,” the petition reads.

Benefits for ditching imperial measurements include making life easier for character creation worldwide, standardising movement and combat calculations for spells, making the 100 grams to 1 kilogram conversion simpler for various items and making it easier for newer, especially younger players, to quickly learn the game.

It’s worth noting that a lot of DMs generally homebrew this stuff anyway, especially with those new to tabletop. If a player isn’t sure whether a spell is liable to hit, they’ll ask the DM and the DM can generally make a call on the fly. That’s fundamentally fine and it works for most people, but it’s also putting the onus on players and DMs/GMs. It’s really something that Wizards of the Coast should just sort out from the off, especially since the whole point of Dungeons & Dragons: 5th Edition is to make the tabletop game more accessible for more players.

“94.7 percent of the world uses the metric system by population, with only USA, Myanmar and Liberia using Imperial,” the petition notes.

Wizards has already converted non-English language editions of the 5th Edition handbook into metric, so it’s not like the company has some kind of philosophical or even in-game explanation for the stubbornness. They could even go the full corporate route to appease Hasbro: re-releasing the existing English handbooks with all the measurements updated to metric. A collector’s edition, perhaps?

FBgC2UoXIAMVO1i?format=jpg&name=medium

“Only three countries in the world (officially) still use the Imperial System and it continues to be a sore spot for the education and enjoyment of anyone outside of the US,” the petition reads.

“94.7 percent of the world uses the metric system by population, with only USA, Myanmar and Liberia using Imperial,” the petition notes.

https://www.change.org/p/wizards-of-the-coast-please-consider-a-metric-system-version-for-dungeons-dragons-5-5-6th-edition

Edited by AriesWarlock
13 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

Dungeons & Dragons has come a hell of a long way, except in one very precise area: units of measurement.

The latest 5th Edition, and revisions to it over the years, has modernised and streamlined all sorts of things. It’s brand of approachable table-top design isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but it has established a precedent: if Wizards thinks it makes sense for the greater good, then anything — skills, prior characterisations, lore, popular crossovers — is up for grabs.

Except, apparently, the metric system.

153d67110bd5f8ef069f1e4aab60834c.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Fans have been calling on Wizards to toss out the imperial system for years, and with good reason. The vast majority of the world, unlike the United States, doesn’t use the imperial system. So while it made sense that D&D was originally based on imperial units, there’s tens of millions of players worldwide who have enough math to do already when it comes to a session of D&D.

There’s lots of ways the confusion about imperial vs. metric pans out in a real-life scenario, but I quite liked this quip from one person who was petitioning Wizards to have a metric conversion button in D&D Beyond:

DM: About 1000 feet away from you on the hill stands a lone tower with lights coming out from it.

Player 1 *Thoughts*: 200 squares away! Got it!

Player 2 *Thoughts*: 1000 feet = 1000 m (3280ft) so the tower is very far away

Player 3 *Thoughts*: Who cares how long away it is! CHARGE! COMBAT WOO!

So naturally, there’s a petition to give the imperial system the boot once and for all.

be03060fbaa5427bf4fa7992700fc3d5.jpg

Benefits for ditching imperial measurements include making life easier for character creation worldwide, standardising movement and combat calculations for spells, making the 100 grams to 1 kilogram conversion simpler for various items and making it easier for newer, especially younger players, to quickly learn the game.

It’s worth noting that a lot of DMs generally homebrew this stuff anyway, especially with those new to tabletop. If a player isn’t sure whether a spell is liable to hit, they’ll ask the DM and the DM can generally make a call on the fly. That’s fundamentally fine and it works for most people, but it’s also putting the onus on players and DMs/GMs. It’s really something that Wizards of the Coast should just sort out from the off, especially since the whole point of Dungeons & Dragons: 5th Edition is to make the tabletop game more accessible for more players.

Wizards has already converted non-English language editions of the 5th Edition handbook into metric, so it’s not like the company has some kind of philosophical or even in-game explanation for the stubbornness. They could even go the full corporate route to appease Hasbro: re-releasing the existing English handbooks with all the measurements updated to metric. A collector’s edition, perhaps?

FBgC2UoXIAMVO1i?format=jpg&name=medium

https://www.change.org/p/wizards-of-the-coast-please-consider-a-metric-system-version-for-dungeons-dragons-5-5-6th-edition

How many videogames use miles on the overlay for distance?

If the rest of the world is so smart why can't they just do the conversions? Metric is used for science and tech all the time, and us Americans have no issues with that. Yet the low IQ foreigners can't do simple conversions and function with two different systems? Why brag about being so unintelligent? Nerds always brag how smart they are but then show how limited they are. 

1 hour ago, Deadly_Raver said:

If that really works, there is gonna be a MAJOR upheaval in the whole baby mama drama.  I think the demand for paternity tests are going to go WAY up after this.  Here's hoping things progress quickly and significantly.

Paternity tests should be mandatory. Especially since most states reward cheating spouses by putting their husband on hook for child support if he signs the birth certificate.

42 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Paternity tests should be mandatory. Especially since most states reward cheating spouses by putting their husband on hook for child support if he signs the birth certificate.

If they made Paternity tests mandatory the seas would run red with blood and the sky itself would burn.  Child Support is one of the biggest and best scams the government has going.  Make them give that up?  Not even the Devil wants that smoke.

Paternity tests should probably mandatory anytime child support comes up to be honest.  If you are going to make the guy take financial responsibility then the very least that can be done is to make sure the child does in fact belong to him especially if the guy in question doesn't believe that the child is his and there is reason to believe that it isn't.  I wouldn't hear anythinf about 'trust' or 'getting offended' or anything like that.  You gonna have this dude on the hook?  Better make sure the receipt is correct.

12 minutes ago, scorp said:

I laugh at stories like this, but I wonder how many anti-vaxxers are not loud and proud about it and are instead either suffering or spreading the disease in silence. Has to be most of them.

1 hour ago, Deadly_Raver said:

If they made Paternity tests mandatory the seas would run red with blood and the sky itself would burn.  Child Support is one of the biggest and best scams the government has going.  Make them give that up?  Not even the Devil wants that smoke.

They wouldn't be giving up anything. The bill would just be sent to the right person.

244691818_10157926744196930_592830548433

Make no bones about it, Skeletor finally has the Power! Wanna see what @hamillhimself does to the Universe with it? And whither the *real* hero we’ve all been waiting for - Ram Man? Check out Part 2 of @masters of the Universe REVELATION when it comes to @netflix on NOVEMBER 23rd! This metal-as-Hell poster is by @natebaertschart and could easily be a 70’s album cover! So spend Thanksgiving weekend with us in Eternia, Turkey and get ready for the biggest, baddest battle in the Universe!

https://www.facebook.com/YesThatKevinSmith/photos/a.10155652563751930/10157926744191930/

so tonight we got a bit of werewolf action on that Movies! channel.... currently, Mary Reilly is on (a Jekyll/Hyde story) but later on at 8:55 it's Teen Wolf; the original from 1985.  After that, it's The Howling!  It has been so long since I saw that...damn that movie is old now; it's from 1981.  Last time I saw it was on VHS as a rental in the 80s...they went on to make tons of sequels to that.  Teen Wolf on the other hand just had "Teen Wolf Too" which starred Jason Bateman instead of Michael J. Fox.  Some people may also have forgotten there was a Saturday morning cartoon of it too....it would not be until the MTV show that they got deeper into the lore on it though.

a reminder of The Howling....check out that badass trailer

Julia Roberts is really cute in this "Mary Reilly" film; I've never seen this....it's from 96 and surprisingly I missed out on this one...anyway; I always thought she was a bit overrated in terms of looks...but I certainly wouldn't turn that down...and this Irish accent she's doing in this movie is absolutely working for me.

sheeeeittttttt, this is a new favorite network for sure now....a shame I've been unaware of its existence until just yesterday.

Edited by MillionX
52 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

244691818_10157926744196930_592830548433

Make no bones about it, Skeletor finally has the Power! Wanna see what @hamillhimself does to the Universe with it? And whither the *real* hero we’ve all been waiting for - Ram Man? Check out Part 2 of @masters of the Universe REVELATION when it comes to @netflix on NOVEMBER 23rd! This metal-as-Hell poster is by @natebaertschart and could easily be a 70’s album cover! So spend Thanksgiving weekend with us in Eternia, Turkey and get ready for the biggest, baddest battle in the Universe!

https://www.facebook.com/YesThatKevinSmith/photos/a.10155652563751930/10157926744191930/

LOL having He-Man positioned like the show is gonna be about him, Smith ain't learned yet

Edited by HD-Man
6 hours ago, MillionX said:

Adam Warlock is cool as hell even though he was made to be an allegory of Jesus. He’s OP as fuck too. 

his future and evil counterpart The Magus also has the best fro in comics and no that’s not up for debate 

A25A0ED2-644B-402F-BF4D-57DF820C1A5F.png.d6e2564b59500ba5d0fdba22f07fdfb4.png

Edited by iStu X
10 hours ago, KingTubb said:

I know it's been awhile, but Huey Newton did say that gay people "might be the most oppressed in society" back in 1970. 

Interesting to see how things have changed in the last 50 years. I think Chappelle even made the point in one of his specials that gay men have seen such huge strides in rights and acceptance because they're still white men. 

At first glance, I thought that said "Huey Lewis" and that changed the whole context of the quote.

so it worked out perfectly; last night's schedule---I slept early just to be up ready for The Howling on that movies! network.  It's been such a long time it was like watching for the first time again, really.  I'll have to track this down and get it on dvd/blu-ray, actually.  The effects of the werewolf transformations still looked cool to me... the one at the very end was strangely out of place though; that shit just looked silly, and kind of like Chewbacca, actually... if I recall there was an unfortunate reason for why that one was different...like they ran out of budget or lost the previous "transformed werewolf" puppet/face for some reason... I know "Minty" did a video on this classic years ago:

the usual side-note---the main actress (blonde local reporter) Dee Wallace was HOT.  The darkhaired werewolf girl from that tribe looked pretty damn good too.

The way it works in this film... hell yeah I'd take the so-called "curse".  They have natural regeneration as they should (*though this is a bit inconsistent, as a certain dude is never shown to have healed up from previous injury for some reason), and can seemingly come back from anything except that 1 weakness to silver...so silver bullets were the only things in the movie that could stop them.  They also have the bonus of having control while in the wolf form, unlike most stories.  If I had no control over it then it truly is a curse and I'd rather not have that.

Edited by MillionX

Janet Yellen Says IRS Plan to Monitor $600+ Bank Transactions is ‘Absolutely Not’ Spying: ‘There’s a Lot of Tax Fraud’

“Does this mean that the government is trying to peek into our pocket books?” CBS’ Norah O’Donnell asked Yellen in an interview. “You want to look at $600 transactions?”

“Absolutely not,” Yellen replied. “I think this proposal has been seriously mischaracterized. The proposal involves no reporting of individual transactions of any individual. The big picture is, look, we have a tax gap that over the next decade is estimated at $7 trillion. Namely, a shortfall in the amount the IRS is collecting due to a failure of individuals to report the income that they have earned.”

Democrats in Congress had been considering a proposal that would enable the IRS to monitor bank deposits or withdrawals of $600 or more. Backlash has inspired proposals that would raise the disclosure level to $10,000 annually, though nothing has been set in stone.

“High-income individuals with opaque sources of income that is not reported to the IRS,” Yellen argued.

Somehow, I don't think their cunning little plan went the way they intended.

On the bright side,  I have to at least give Netflix the thumb's up for sticking to their morals.  They didn't bend the knee when people wanted Cuties gone, and they're standing up for Dave too.  Whether you like them or not, Netflix has a spine.  👍

EDIT:  Nevermind, they cucked in the end.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/7Ug00PomuqQ/?list=notifications&randomize=false

Edited by Deadly_Raver
21 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Women's groups let us know that paternity fraud is rare and there is no need for widescale testing, buuuuut you really got to wonder why they fight so vehemently against it if that is the case.  🤔  I would also like the laws changed so that the husband is not considered the father by default, because I have seen some SHENANIGANS get pulled by spouses of people I know in real life.

I don't think paternity tests should be mandatory, if only because they're pretty expensive and not remotely covered by health insurance.

I'd be fine with a legal right to demand one if you want to dispute child support.  Keep in mind though that sometimes those tests do give the wrong answer (usually human error in the lab or in the reporting, because the tests themselves are pretty good).