Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

oh yeah that's the other thing; it was nice to occasionally speak with other people who are not on my team but work in the same area.  That's gone now for sure...no such thing as "downtime" anymore when your workload goes up by about 1000% (not even an exaggeration, btw) in the first week of the pandemic.  At the office, speaking with another person who isn't on your team is as simple as stopping by their desk, or being in the lounge area with them during break time.

I watched the Nightmare on Elm Street episode of "Movies that Made Us" a little while ago....it was awesome.  It's interesting to see all that behind the scenes stuff and the stories of how major things like the first movie of that franchise almost didn't happen for a variety of reasons, and all the little things that went wrong along the way.  It also reminded me of just how hot "Tina" was; the first on-screen victim of Freddy; she had a nice t-shirt/panties scene there.

The effects in the first one were pretty damn brilliant... that idea with the rotating room to achieve the effect of Tina being thrown around the room was genius....and later using the same techniques to get the blood geyser from Johnny Depp's character's bed when he got killed.  It's much more interesting to me that people came up with these kinds of ideas to make effects compared to the typical "eh, just cgi that shit" approach you expect from today.

The latest one is an odd case--- Poison Ivy on Batwoman....strange because she's the asian girl on there, but for some reason they allowed the character to still have red hair in her "Poison Ivy" form, according to the pictures I've seen.

We all know the next major one is likely the big-screen version of the new-era X-People (renamed since X-men is "problematic", of course...I suspect they might be considering  the "X-Force" name though, even though that's supposed to be a whole different thing in the comics.).....you could bet money on the fact that Jean Grey will be changed to a black woman.  I'll take a wild guess and say at least one other character on the core team will be race-swapped too...probably Gambit.

heh, imagine being a naturally redheaded white person that's trying to make it in Hollywood in the past several years.  You'd have absolutely no chance unless you just went on and dyed your hair some other color, and perhaps try and get a fake tan so you can fool the casting directors out there.  

On another note---an episode of The Unexplained on History right now is about vampires and werewolves!

edit--oh yeah I've seen this episode.... they mentioned the interesting case of this guy Rod Ferrell

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_Ferrell 

heh, I'm just curious about what clan he picked for his character, really 😆

dammit, all I can find so far is the name; his character was "Vesago"... no one mentions the damn clan.  I'll take a wild guess and say most VtM fans consider it to be "in poor taste" to even ask the fucking question. 😞  Since it was the 90s at the time... surely it was one of the more popular ones, I bet; and based on some pictures I'm seeing... probably Brujah, or Assamite/Banu Haqim...unless he  picked the "no clan" option of Caitiff..

Edited by MillionX
3 hours ago, Deadly_Raver said:

Looks like this guy has an update about the missing tennis star.

Yeah laowhy86 has been spiking it for a while on his exposés of the dirty side of Chinese politics.

His story about how he escaped the country with his wife and kid before they slapped an exit ban on him was insane too if you haven’t watched it.

And legit, I thought I was getting hit with one the last time I left China. Don’t know if I ever told that story on SRK. Pretty sure I did on JTM, but that’s lost to the ether now…

5 hours ago, MP_ said:

Yeah laowhy86 has been spiking it for a while on his exposés of the dirty side of Chinese politics.

His story about how he escaped the country with his wife and kid before they slapped an exit ban on him was insane too if you haven’t watched it.

And legit, I thought I was getting hit with one the last time I left China. Don’t know if I ever told that story on SRK. Pretty sure I did on JTM, but that’s lost to the ether now…

What happened?? 

That country is wild. I was there once and flying into Beijing felt like flying into a Hollywood movie set. The buildings all looked fake. 

3 minutes ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

I thought JWong was older than 40 tbh.

Honestly I did to but just saw a post of his saying he's 36. I think he just got into the fgc so young it feels like that. Like by the time srk started popping in 01/02 he was already a east coast legend 

Edited by Maxx
35 minutes ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

I thought JWong was older than 40 tbh.

Justin’s a year or two younger than me for sure.

Dude has been on point a fuckton lately.

I’m definitely not typing out my Chinese exit story on phone, too much to type, but once I’m back on my laptop after I run some errands, pop some popcorn for it’s story time.

26 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I venture most people on FGC Twitter TALK about playing fighting games more than they actually play them. Lotta pot monsters on FGC Twitter methinks.

It’s been that way since 2009. A whole lotta talk but not enough backing it up. 

it’s why SRK and the FGC as a whole gate keeped so hard when 4 first drop. We didn’t want to let unpassionate people and posers in with us and drag the whole scene down. 

a bigger scene doesn’t mean it’s an overall better scene. 

Edited by iStu X
26 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I venture most people on FGC Twitter TALK about playing fighting games more than they actually play them. Lotta pot monsters on FGC Twitter methinks.

While I 100% agree with you but it's always been that way. Or at the very least they always say some shit that's just flat out wrong and people like it because they are also wrong. 

Like I've watched Sajam go through his comments on gg strive shit lately and pick a wrong ass comment and just prove it on stream how wrong and shit they are for thinking this way. He's been picking the comments that have a decent number of likes because it means others also think this. So they are shit and low level lol. 

But also I think theirs legit arguments to be made if fighting games are harder now vs before. Alot of ways you can think about it. 

Newer games:

-easier to find tech.. Which means people get better faster

-patches are faster.. So you have to keep up to make sure you know the new match ups and constant tech changes

-devs are more active and see what's going on with the game through online and can make adjustments based on it

-debatable if things like hit boxes make games easier now. 

-devs keep trying to make new games "income friendly" which actually ends up causing shenanigans. Like power rangers has a simpler button layout no motion inputs.. Yet this shit is mahvel with robots... Mad infinites lmfao 

-one of my favorite modern fgc tactics is where mass people complain about a character for buffs or nerfs not because it needs it but because they wanna manipulate the devs do they make xyz character better. It's a Meta game and Harada called people out on it and I was fucking dying. Like they think devs are idiots because they are Japanese and it's so funny to me. 

Edited by Maxx
1 minute ago, RSG3 said:

Fighters have mechanics on top of mechanics bowl to. 

Strive has 4 types of RCs alone. 

When I hear people complain about easy vs difficult I never count anime fighters In my head. They have always been difficult and have at least 4 different systems going on at all times lmfao. Weeb fighters are always absurdly technical just not popular with most of the fgc. 

4 minutes ago, Maxx said:

When I hear people complain about easy vs difficult I never count anime fighters In my head. They have always been difficult and have at least 4 different systems going on at all times lmfao. Weeb fighters are always absurdly technical just not popular with most of the fgc. 

that’s why I love melty blood so much. It’s a great anime fighter with very few mechanics and the mechanics it has are very easy to understand . None of the characters are overly difficult to understand/play as well. 

so win win. I wish more people played it. ;(

Edited by iStu X

New COVID variant Omicron

According to the WHO:

The B.1.1.529 variant was first reported to WHO from South Africa on 24 November 2021. The epidemiological situation in South Africa has been characterized by three distinct peaks in reported cases, the latest of which was predominantly the Delta variant. In recent weeks, infections have increased steeply, coinciding with the detection of B.1.1.529 variant. The first known confirmed B.1.1.529 infection was from a specimen collected on 9 November 2021.

This variant has a large number of mutations, some of which are concerning. Preliminary evidence suggests an increased risk of reinfection with this variant, as compared to other VOCs. The number of cases of this variant appears to be increasing in almost all provinces in South Africa. Current SARS-CoV-2 PCR diagnostics continue to detect this variant. Several labs have indicated that for one widely used PCR test, one of the three target genes is not detected (called S gene dropout or S gene target failure) and this test can therefore be used as marker for this variant, pending sequencing confirmation. Using this approach, this variant has been detected at faster rates than previous surges in infection, suggesting that this variant may have a growth advantage.

Pfizer Says New Vaccine Can Be Ready in 100 Days to Counter Vaccine-Escape Variants

GettyImages-1236496677.jpg

“We expect more data from the laboratory tests in two weeks at the latest. These data will provide more information about whether B.1.1.529 could be an escape variant that may require an adjustment of our vaccine if the variant spreads globally,” Pfizer said in a statement Friday.

43 minutes ago, iStu X said:

that’s why I love melty blood so much. It’s a great anime fighter with very few mechanics and the mechanics it has are very easy to understand . None of the characters are overly difficult to understand/play as well. 

so win win. I wish more people played it. ;(

Is it an easy system? I was listening to Majin talk about it ahead of the new game and him taking about half moon, full moon, sailor moon drives made me think I need to apply to a PhD fgc program to play it. 

Tekken imo will always be the easiest fighting game system. It's literally left, right punch, left right kick. Everything else is extra. Even with rage as a comeback at least you are very aware it can come out. As opposed to getting put in a random launcher you don't know is coming and requires match up/character knowledge. And every character has natural universal combos like every character has a 1,1,2 or 1,2,1 ect. 

9 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

Funny you mention that because when Aris was on the Gootecks & Mike Show I remember him saying along the lines of needing a PhD in order to play Tekken.

I think tekken is one of the unique games where entry level is low because of how simple the controls are but to get good Def need a PhD. I'm not beating knee, jdcr or arslan..but I can legit hop on and whoop dudes asses with some basic 121 shit lol. 

1 hour ago, iStu X said:

It’s been that way since 2009. A whole lotta talk but not enough backing it up. 

it’s why SRK and the FGC as a whole gate keeped so hard when 4 first drop. We didn’t want to let unpassionate people and posers in with us and drag the whole scene down. 

a bigger scene doesn’t mean it’s an overall better scene. 

Agreed. I had a lot more fun when the SamSho scene was tons smaller. Granted, it was more like a clubhouse then but everyone was trying to get good and it was like a group of friends all doing the same thing rather than a few people really grinding while a bunch of others who never play were hanging out memeing. There are some cool folks that the new game brought in, but overall I would trade that to have the old smaller scene again. 

I was on srk for probably a year leading up to sf4's release and man, the change in the forums was like night and day. I'm ok with gatekeeping hobbies especially when you have people coming in that want everything to change to suit them yet probably won't stick. 

1 hour ago, Chadouken said:

Copped an OLED for Black Friday. The picture is absolutely disgusting, and gaming at 120 FPS on my PS5 is literally a game changer. Hype af right now.

So jealous. 😞 

I kept trying to get once since I have so much store credit at GameStop but all they had were bundles I didn’t feel were worth the extra $$$ they were asking for.