Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

2 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

What was the first fighting game you guys ever played online?

I can't remember exactly. Probably either KOF 98or Alpha 3 through Kaillera /Mame in the early 2000s.

On console, it was definitely CVS2 on the original Xbox in 2003.

now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever played a fighter online.  I ether invite people over or I go over there.  Even though online is much better than the early days, I'm still not sure if I care to jump into it.

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

My first online fighting game was MK Deception. It was like the only fighting game on PS2 that had online and man, the online was fucking trash. The delay made the game unplayable and everyone and their mother was using noob smoke. 

Mine was Injustice 1. I liked it because capeshit, but that game was ass. Deadshot was pretty hype though. Who's coke-fuelled idea was it to give Superman a 2 frame (idk it was fast) super that's fullscreen?

I mean what the fuck?

53 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Given that the game is officially released (on console) 12 years ago tomorrow, that's practically a digital eternity. 

It is. I remember being so hyped when I first got that game and didn't know any better lol! Although vanilla SF4 was pretty fun even with all the busted stuff about it. After vanilla the game just got worse imo. 

Btw, just knocked out a 36 second solve! 

spacer.png

Hmmm. My first online fighting game was Capcom Vs Snk 2 from the original Xbox in either 2003 or 2004. 

It was sort of a mixed experience with people using racial slurs when they were losing and mass rage quitters. Yet, the competition gotten me where I needed to be in that era, which I later transferred that knowledge and experience to other fighting games that was released after. So, I'm very thankful that I've invested so much time into it.

Bill Gates: Rich nations should shift entirely to synthetic beef

In a recent interview with the MIT Technology Review, Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates discussed his environmental impact efforts and various green initiatives aimed at reducing global carbon emissions. One suggestion Gates proposed was for wealthy and developed nations to move entirely to synthetic beef in efforts to reduce the carbon emissions from livestock.

Explaining the suggestion, Gates told the MIT Tech Review:

For Africa and other poor countries, we’ll have to use animal genetics to dramatically raise the amount of beef per emissions for them. Weirdly, the US livestock, because they’re so productive, the emissions per pound of beef are dramatically less than emissions per pound in Africa. And as part of the [Bill and Melinda Gates] Foundation’s work, we’re taking the benefit of the African livestock, which means they can survive in heat, and crossing in the monstrous productivity both on the meat side and the milk side of the elite US beef lines.

So no, I don’t think the poorest 80 countries will be eating synthetic meat. I do think all rich countries should move to 100% synthetic beef. You can get used to the taste difference, and the claim is they’re going to make it taste even better over time. Eventually, that green premium is modest enough that you can sort of change the [behavior of] people or use regulation to totally shift the demand.

So for meat in the middle-income-and-above countries, I do think it’s possible. But it’s one of those ones where, wow, you have to track it every year and see, and the politics [are challenging]. There are all these bills that say it’s got to be called, basically, lab garbage to be sold. They don’t want us to use the beef label.

Despite what seems like an outlandish proposal, Gates seems confident that meat alternatives will continue to grow in popularity in developed nations, stating: “Now the people like Memphis Meats who do it at a cellular level — I don’t know that that will ever be economical. But Impossible and Beyond have a road map, a quality road map, and a cost road map, that makes them totally competitive.”

https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/02/14/1018296/bill-gates-climate-change-beef-trees-microsoft/

Dunno if I want.

Synthetic foods worked in Star Trek . . . . 

Seriously though, I do think there is an opportunity for us to do better with the consumption of meat in general. To be honest, I do see "synthetic" meat as a thing through a plant-based product or cellular cloning. The one thing about the Impossible or Beyond burgers is that they aren't really better for you. There is so much added into them that you may as well just eat the real thing. 

1 minute ago, TheInfernoman said:

Which is why unless some breakthrough happens anytime soon, I'll stick to regular meat. 

I've actually had one of each. They are honestly pretty close but in that uncanny valley kind of way. 

4 minutes ago, Lord Vega said:

I can probably just have one meal a day now and be fine while taking supplements. For a while now I have only been eating twice a day. I know that all of you will find this ability impossible, but there are people out there that don't require food and water. 

That's not really that hard to believe. It's caloric intake vs. expenditure. This is why the 8 glasses per day rule is silly. Depending on your diet, you can get a fair bit of water in your food. I rarely eat three square meals. 

35 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

I've actually had one of each. They are honestly pretty close but in that uncanny valley kind of way. 

That's not really that hard to believe. It's caloric intake vs. expenditure. This is why the 8 glasses per day rule is silly. Depending on your diet, you can get a fair bit of water in your food. I rarely eat three square meals. 

Yeah, other than walking two miles a day and lift weights for about 20 minutes a day, I don't move much, and due to that, I likely just need one or two meals a day and a few glasses of water. 

Edited by Lord Vega
7 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Synthetic foods worked in Star Trek . . . . 

Seriously though, I do think there is an opportunity for us to do better with the consumption of meat in general. To be honest, I do see "synthetic" meat as a thing through a plant-based product or cellular cloning. The one thing about the Impossible or Beyond burgers is that they aren't really better for you. There is so much added into them that you may as well just eat the real thing. 

6 hours ago, TheInfernoman said:

Which is why unless some breakthrough happens anytime soon, I'll stick to regular meat. 

The greatest advantage to synthetic meats isn't that they are healthier, but that they negate the massive resources needed to raise herds of cows.

Rearing livestock takes a fantastic amount of energy and resources and if we can get something that basically tastes the same without having to raise actual animals that would be great.

Sadly I am allergic to Impossible meat.  I had an Impossible Whopper a year or two ago and it made my tongue swell up for days.  Tasted good though...

😔

4 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

What was the ingredient that caused the reaction? It couldn't have been the whole patty that caused this? (just curious)

Impossible Burgers have a ton of different ingredients inside.  I'm apparently allergic to one of them.

There's no way to tell which one it is, and I don't think I'm going to risk a more serious allergic reaction by trying other Impossible products.  It's a real bummer too because this is the only food I've ever been allergic to.

I don't want to be left behind in the cow-less future.  😭

19 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

What was the first fighting game you guys ever played online?

I can't remember exactly. Probably either KOF 98or Alpha 3 through Kaillera /Mame in the early 2000s.

On console, it was definitely CVS2 on the original Xbox in 2003.

Probably one of the games of kaillera or 3s or other game on ggpo. 

One thing i do remember was the sour tastw it left on me the amount of idiots setting the delay on ggpo to 0 thinking it would be good, making the fights be unplayable teleport fests. 

The good old days, lol. 

6 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

Mk (2021) Trailer will come out on Thursday 

*SNIP*

I'm really hoping the trailer at least gets me hype. Very little I've heard pertaining to the movie gives me hope it'll be good. And with them being so mum on things until now, it's like WB knows the movie isn't that good and is pushing the movie out to die.

13 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

bad news, Last Pass making changes to their free tier. You won't be able to use it on a PC and mobile at the same time anymore.

https://blog.lastpass.com/2021/02/changes-to-lastpass-free/

Just found out about Bitwarden, free tier lets you use it on a PC and mobile at the same time. Testing it.

https://bitwarden.com/

Welp, time to jump ship. 

Just made some hella good chicken breasts for lunch. I coated them olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic salt. About half way through cooking them I sorta butter flied them and then poured some balsamic dressing I made over them. Let them marinate for about 10 minutes then put back on the heat to finish them. 

turned out really really good. I’ve been eating like a garbage person the last few days. mainly due to the weather. So to have something freshly prepared and not from a box or can or whatever was nice. 

Looks like I get a rare chance to pat myself on the back for a little foresight.  

Even though I left the faucets open they STILL froze up.  However, a few years earlier I had replaced all of the previous pipes.  A costly endeavour, but it looks like money spent then became money saved in the future.  I was without water for a little while, but nothing broke.  Thankfully everything warmed up and we're all good again.

Went into the discord server of the place that used to run the locals I'd go to every so often; and to no one's surprise they've started hosting Smash weeklies again with some major limits.

16 people max (i.e. no spectators)

Masks on at all times

Have to DM the TO on discord, FCFS for spots.

I'm ready as anyone for the pandemic to be overwith, but I hate to say that this is actually a smart move coming from their TO.

4 minutes ago, Lantis said:

Not exactly sold at the forced inclusion of this Cole character (and Sub Zero being the one who takes Jax's arms)  but everything else LOOKS great. We'll see how it all unfolds....

Cole won't bug me because he's a representative for the audience. Helps explain to new people wtf is going on. 

Y'know, I doubt things have changed much with the possible discovery of alien life... say if something were discovered just last week that was a huge deal....perhaps beings on another world that are similar to humans in terms of their overall biology and level of technological achievement....and they've been here before on several occasions (*edit--actually if they've been here, they are automatically far more advanced by default since we haven't hit that level yet).  More than likely, extreme measures would be taken if necessary to keep the general public from knowing about that.

The public will only be allowed to know if we find something that is not quite as major... like the fact that there's microscopic and other low-level life forms on another world.  I'd bet some folks in power somewhere have decided that this is an acceptable scientific discovery to be publicized one day.  Anything about beings that are our level of sophistication or better (especially if they have visited us before, and/or if we've recovered some things from crashed vessels) would be left as "classified" information that must be kept away from the public at all cost.

...quite a shame that the "Men in Black" concept has already been done as a comedy sci-fi movie and cartoon/comic... I always thought a more serious ongoing series involving that would be fascinating.  The Matrix plays with that idea a little bit until the audience realizes what the "agents" actually are.

edit 2---imagine how interesting it would be if there's beings out there that would think of humans as "low level" lifeforms, the same way we'd look at something like a goldfish or a snail.

Edited by MillionX