Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

5 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

That is quite the interesting thought process/mindset to have to call your wife your 'firstborn daughter'  Sounds sketch AF to me

He lost me at "She needs to call you Daddy." The commenter I mean. 

That shits fucking gross. I absolutely hate that shit. I am not your father, I'm trying hit that, don't fucking call me Daddy. 

Edited by RSG3
13 minutes ago, Lantis said:

After 13 years, I guess most people are over it now

I cant believe Im saying this, but I am apathetic about a Jim Cameron film.

The first one was just ok. I liked it more for the use of 3d at the time and the special fx.

I didnt really love the characters/story much.

I gave it a 7/10 and while that may be good for Michael Bay, Cameron needs to really step it up.

The MCU was in its infancy when this first came out. That will seriously impact profits this time.

With the exception of Indy and Star Wars, very few franchises can generate excitement after more than  a decade in hibernation.

Streaming has given people a lot more entertainment choices and I think that could also affect the box office.

Edited by DangerousJ
3 hours ago, Reticently said:

States are already out there doing it.  As you likely know from the articles you just posted, Plan B uses the same hormone (Levonorgestrel) used in the most common IUDs (Mirena, etc).  If you get an IUD put in within 5 days of sex, it does exactly what Plan B does.  Furthermore, IUDs don't prevent every single fertilization- the eggs that do become fertilized are prevented from implanting.  Any argument directed at Plan B over its method of action extends to IUDs. 

Nobody gets an IUD and waits until pregancy to have it put in. I could easily imagaine legislation prohibiting their use as "plan B" without prohibiting their use as a contraceptive. Again, I don't know a single anti-abortion person who endorses a prohibition on IUD's as prophylaxis, the articles themselves made that leap based on a technicality. A state legislature would have to specifically prohibit IUD's, and I don't see that being popular enough to pass even in the most pro-life of states. Surely there would be backlash in the event that a state did try to slip IUD contraceptive prohibition under existing anti-abortion legislation, as even the majority of bible-thumpers enjoy sex without producing children like a catholic family in 1850. 

Cool, but spurious- abortion isn't the reason adoption in the US is difficult.

I mention adoption because it's the general go to alternative anti abortion people want when a woman does not want her child. Adoption being easier and more commonplace should be a more viable alternative even in pro-abortion states. Because let's not beat around the bush, abortion is in fact killing your unborn child. It is brutal and awful, and should certainly not be celebrated even by "pro choice" people (of whom I am included) even when necessary or very much preferable to the mother for whatever reason. This also stands in contrast to the oft-repeated platitude that "pro-life people don't give a damn about kids once they're born". 

Tell me more about this caricature I'm depicting, "reee". 🙄

The caricature has been on full display here and all over the internet since that leak was revealed. The tweet you quoted itself reeks of it. The implication is clearly that anyone who is anti-abortion hates women, wants to prohibit contraceptives, wants to see women subjugated to a pre-20th century lifestyle, and thinks sex should be strictly limited to marriage and procreation purposes. This very thread literally compares anti abortion people to cartoon villains. What I'm pointing out is that someone can be anti-abortion without favoring any of that buffoonery, and  I'd wager 99.99% of pro-life people don't fit this cartoon narrative.

States already have a boatload of restrictions on abortions (and birth control*).  Plenty of those restriction are even reasonable.  There aren't any doctors out there performing abortions on "viable**" late-term babies, at least none that are going to get to keep practicing/avoid jail time.  But we're out here looking at worst-offender states' legislatures upping the ante on shit they, charitably, aren't qualified to speak on.  Never mind bodily autonomy or when it's reasonable to call something human life- the reddest legislators aren't floating proposals that even so much as safe-harbor medically advisable abortions.  Let's say a mom-to-be can reasonably carry one baby safely, and that twins would be pretty risky, but she gets knocked up with quadruplets.  Do you know what a fetal reduction is?  Walk me through at what point, in the eyes of a "reasonable" anti-abortionist, that mom is on the hook for murder.

Oh shit- forgot my own footnotes:

* I live in PA, a northeastern purple state, and my wife still needed legal permission from me to get her tubes tied.  How fucked up is that?

** "Viability" as a standard is kind of a trap.  Lot's of fucked up conditions can lead to a live birth where the kids just suffers immensely for a couple of hours/days before dying.  I just didn't want to blow the sentence up putting nuance on something succinct. 

Again, I am personally pro-choice, though I don't celebrate abortion and wish it didn't happen as much. I know there are many scenarios where it's needed or preferable. That said, I'd much rather see people using contraceptives, including IUD's, effectively to prevent the need for less necessary abortions in the first place. Part of this is people accepting that pretty much everyone is horny as a teen, and getting girls on the pill as soon as they're able to conceive. I'd also take it a step further and propose using the already existing bureaucracy of Planned Parenthood offer free vasectomies to men who want them. 

that pecan salad on the Arby's commercial looks so disgusting... like someone already tried eating it and puked it back up on the plate.

Oddly enough this reminded me of a simple character I made up when I saw... probably junior high or early high school... "Puke Boy".  Yeah, he could transform into a being made entirely of vomit; the result was a character that was shamelessly similar to Venom and other Marvel symbiotes.  haha I came up with some vile shit.  It's fun having some degree of artistic talent and having a sick imagination to go with it.  That was one of the more tame ideas though.  Sheeeittt, if only I wasn't so lazy with it.

haha I had an old friend back then that had no shame in straight up tracing shit... like he made a "new character" that was just a trace job of "Angelus" or "Angela" from Spawn...didn't even change much about it.  He would be that type of guy that would trace Spawn...and perhaps change the color of his cape to black or change the eyes to red....and call that "his" new original character.

Edited by MillionX
1 hour ago, Camacho said:

Nobody gets an IUD and waits until pregancy to have it put in.

Yeah, right now.  Because they can just get Plan B instead.  But once that's the only way to get "emergency contraception", guess what. 

A state legislature doesn't have to specifically ban having an IUD put in any more than it has to specifically ban stealing a Tesla.  They just define anything that prevents a fertilized egg from coming to term as murder:  https://legis.la.gov/legis/ViewDocument.aspx?d=1276214 , and voila.

Naturally only about 1 in 3 fertilized human eggs make it to live birth because of all the shit that can go wrong aside from even worrying about whether the kid might be wanted.  Fun times ahead detecting and investigating all those miscarriages.  So much for not policing women's bodies.

I mention adoption because it's the general go to alternative anti abortion people want when a woman does not want her child. Adoption being easier and more commonplace should be a more viable alternative even in pro-abortion states.

And yet the anti-abortion movement didn't spend a generation working to stack the courts to make adoption easier, so I'm not really chomping at the bit to accept "wouldn't it be nice if adoption was easier" as a moral defense of their character.

Because let's not beat around the bush, abortion is in fact killing your unborn child. It is brutal and awful, and should certainly not be celebrated even by "pro choice" people (of whom I am included) even when necessary or very much preferable to the mother for whatever reason.

There are already a large number of restrictions on abortion even under Roe, and I repeat- many of these are reasonable.  But I assure you, preventing the implantation of a undifferentiated 200-300 cell blastocoel is no more "brutal and awful" a loss than 100 million sperm cells that come to naught every time a man orgasms.

The implication is clearly that anyone who is anti-abortion hates women, wants to prohibit contraceptives, wants to see women subjugated to a pre-20th century lifestyle, and thinks sex should be strictly limited to marriage and procreation purposes.

You're bemoaning comments on things that are actually happening because they might besmirch the character of the people enabling them.  Never mind that I never said any of those things, you did. 

Look I get it, the most annoying pro-feminism, etc, people are in fact annoying as fuck.  But them being annoying doesn't somehow make erosion of Constitutional protections somehow agreeable. 

You don't strike me as having an unreasonable personal position on abortion.  But the vast majority of situations you seem to object to are already banned in many/most places under Roe.  So where does overturning Roe actually take us?  It takes every exception that's already agreed to be reasonable, and makes it subject to a vote.  Not just one vote, anybody who objects gets to bring it up for votes over and over again until they get what they want.  So every one of those cases where, as you say, it's needed or preferable, is now subject under color of law to the uninformed opinion of the least reasonable people you know.  It's no wonder people are upset.

54 minutes ago, Reticently said:

snip

I'm not saying overturning Roe v Wade is good- I wish it had been left alone. But it doesn't mean what the panic induced woke crowd thinks it means either. To your point, ham fisted legislation like the document you linked to will have to be cleaned up to stand any chance of passing or being enforced, even in LA. That particular bill hasn't made it to debate yet. Nothing about the intent I can read into the bill or the intent I hear from the large amount of pro-lifers I know implies prohibition of contraceptives. I'd be tremendously surprised if there aren't more women who think crystals have magic powers than there are right wingers who want to ban contraceptives. The bit about "Proposed law amends present law to define "unborn child" as an individual human being from fertilization until birth" seems aimed squarely at "plan B" pills, which again, I agree should not be prohibited, and I also agree that equating "plan B" pills to abortion is a misnomer at best. And I also agree that natural rights shouldn't be subject to a vote. But it feels strange to see leftists, who generally think everything should be subject to popular vote (or at least when they expect their desired outcome to win) arguing that point. 

What would the left do if their precious dictatorship of the proletariat chucked their sacred cows into a meat grinder?

But it feels strange to see leftists, who generally think everything should be subject to popular vote (or at least when they expect their desired outcome to win) arguing that point. 

What would the left do if their precious dictatorship of the proletariat chucked their sacred cows into a meat grinder

I'm not going to go down a culture war rabbit hole, but will say that the left in the US is hardly a monolith, and that there are probably "more women who believe crystals have magic powers" than people who are at all interested in the dictatorship of the proletariat.

That aside, when it's state representatives bringing egregious bills like that to the floor, the better nature of the voters who already elected them doesn't seem like much of a remedy.  

Edited by Reticently
22 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

He just like @Voltfr.

Also @iStu Xand @Maxxgrowing up with Dragon Ball was a godsend. I have never felt better about training than when I have hyped myself up with DB. My goal is to one day do 10 one handed pushups with my body weight on me. It's not exactly Vegeta level, but I will get there one day... For now we settle for calisthenics...

I take offense to that.

Thighs > Tiddies.

26 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

He just like @Voltfr.

Also @iStu Xand @Maxxgrowing up with Dragon Ball was a godsend. I have never felt better about training than when I have hyped myself up with DB. My goal is to one day do 10 one handed pushups with my body weight on me. It's not exactly Vegeta level, but I will get there one day... For now we settle for calisthenics...

One handed push upd arent that hard just more mentally challenging. I can do them but not something o do regularly 

9 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Speaking of Vegeta...

I think I'm biased on this and I feel like I don't have enough info on Thor regarding his feats to legit make a call on this before I watch it.

Edit:  yeah they're going through Thor's feats in the beginning and def did not have enough info lol.

Favorite bit from the comments summed up into one phrase; For everyone that complain that Vegeta got nerfed, they nerf Thor harder. 

On 5/7/2022 at 10:33 PM, HD-Man said:

I just seen some chicks compare Kevin Samuels to Scar from the Lion King, like the Scar that was jealous enough to kill his brother for the throne then exiled his nephew, yes, THAT Scar.

And guess who they think is the worst of the two. I can't make this shit up 😂

I'm gonna say it: Scar did nothing wrong.

Mufasa was a segregating racist and indoctrinated Simba into believing the same from a young age. Scar made all species equal, and the only reason the Pride lands had a lack of food was due to bad weather, which Scar can't control. 

He was a great king, a visionary, and tried to bring everyone together. And for that, they killed him.

Girlfriends 15 year old daughter just put her knee through the glass top on my induction stove...lol. Just priced a new one, gonna be like 375 just for the glass top. That sucks. Hope installation isn't a fortune...

For some reason I'm finding it funny more then frustrating. 

Edit: To explain real quick she was plugging in the Microwave over the stove and instead of using a stool she was kneeling on the stove top, like when people climb on a counter. She's gone through a few growth spurts recently and I don't think she realizes just how big and heavy she is. She's built like a line backer. Very tall and broad with wide shoulders. She's almost as big as I am. 

Edited by RSG3

The tow work portion of my job is a cakewalk, it's as simple as breathing to me. But the maintenance, engineer portion of it is kicking my ass (on this new boat atleast, still learning what all makes it tick).

My confidence has definitely taken a slight dip, but I suppose a challenge is good for me so I won't give up. I shouldn't be this bothered cuz growing pains are expected but I guess I'm so used to being on point it's affects me more when I'm not on point 

8 hours ago, Reiraku said:

He was a great king, a visionary, and tried to bring everyone together. And for that, they killed him.

He blinded by utopianism, and if he would have not been overthrown everyone would have starved.  The pride lands were set up the way they were for a reason, and he needed to accept the natural order of things.  The movie just showed the natural conclusion from having a few generations of hyena breeding going unchecked.  He was the Disney equivalent of a communist dictator.