Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

ive been getting heavily into kung fu movies again.

especially the early 80s shaw bros kung fu movies.

i should say collecting them.

i have:

drunken master

snake in the eagles shadow

heroes of the east. 

36th chamers.

return to 36 chambers

disciples of 36 chambers

flag of iron

crippled avengers

five venoms

kid w the golden arm

dirty ho

praying mantis

clan of white lotus

house of traps

legendary weapons of china

8 triagram pole fighter

martial club

death duel

return of one armed swordsman

5 elements ninjas

if yall know any more good ones from the 80s  lmk

Edited by VirginDefiler
1 hour ago, VirginDefiler said:

if yall know any more good ones from the 80s  lmk

The best course I took in college was on Hong Kong cinema.  Looks like you're more into wuxia (martial arts fantasy like Crouching Tiger) than Kung Fu (stuff more like the Bruce Lee movies) Some bangers:

Once Upon a Time in the China

Iron Monkey 

Dragon Gate Inn (either the 1967 original or the 1991 remake)

Hero

Not strictly martial arts, but you might also want to check out:

Peking Opera Blues

A Better Tomorrow

A Better Tomorrow II

24 minutes ago, Reticently said:

The best course I took in college was on Hong Kong cinema.  Looks like you're more into wuxia (martial arts fantasy like Crouching Tiger) than Kung Fu (stuff more like the Bruce Lee movies) Some bangers:

Once Upon a Time in the China

Iron Monkey 

Dragon Gate Inn (either the 1967 original or the 1991 remake)

Hero

Not strictly martial arts, but you might also want to check out:

Peking Opera Blues

A Better Tomorrow

A Better Tomorrow II

No Problem Thumbs Up GIF by Vevo

Both "A Better Tomorrow" movies are fucking great. Hard Boiled might be my fav though.

2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

For those who want to read the twitter thread that was an hour and a half late with the info dump

Edit: Oh lord....Twitter gate is trending and people are getting hopped up about Hunter's laptop again.

What a yawnfest.

Twitter -a private company- could do whatever it wants just like it is doing right now. Was it right? Was it good? Subjective. I just find this obsession with spreading obviously very private photos of a broken man to be nauseating. Like is this the best White Nationalists got? Because lord knows Trump enjoys watersports and Lindsey can't get enough of those BBCs. Leave the kink shaming out of it.

hero, imo, is the greatest kung fu movie ever made. i didnt mention it like i didnt mention crouching tiger, house of flying daggers cuz theyre more recent and not from the early 80s. 

ive always wondered how hong kong cinema rules and attitudes changed in 1999 when hong kong stopped being british ruled w brit laws and changed to chinese communist govt. like no more sex and drugs depicted im guessing. not to mention how the actors had to give up 90% of their income to the commie party. someone should do a docu on that shit. cuz im quite interested in knowing the exact changes to that film industry with that late 90s political change.

11 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

For those who want to read the twitter thread that was an hour and a half late with the info dump

Edit: Oh lord....Twitter gate is trending and people are getting hopped up about Hunter's laptop again.

Not reading all of that. Twitter had biased moderation. Which was obvious. The only that bugs me is the DNC shenanigans. People often cry about free speech issues when their isn't one. An arm of one our two political parties censoring what can and cannot be said on what is an essentially a public forum is problem. Twitter is a private company now, it was a publicly traded company at the time. That is a serious problem. That said I'm not surprised. They pulled the same shit with MSNBC and CNN to suppress coverage of Andrew Wang and Tulsi Gabbard in 2020. Before that, in 2016, they literally worked from Hillary Clinton to prevent Bernie Sanders from getting the party nomination.

3 hours ago, VirginDefiler said:

ive always wondered how hong kong cinema rules and attitudes changed in 1999 when hong kong stopped being british ruled w brit laws and changed to chinese communist govt

The biggest change was that the movies couldn't be even subtly critical of the whole "One China" concept.  The Chinese government can be kind of flexible on morality content, but they do NOT put up with the idea that maybe China didn't need to be unified at all costs. Just look at the end of Hero- great movie, but that ending is totally One China propaganda.

As for older movies, most of the best will be Shaw Brothers productions, stuff directed by King Hu, or stuff directed by Tsui Hark.

Whenever I see a body getting buried or a service on a movie or anime or whatever, it's either night time or raining. At the least it's really cloudy and it starts raining right at the end, but there's like always rain.

But in real life, I don't think I've ever seen a burial or service when it's raining or at night. They schedule those around nicer days because otherwise the grave gets washed out or whatever.

They need to make this more realistic. I need to start seeing sunny, great days at these funerals. The only time it didn't rain was probably that one time they thought Joseph Joestar was dead and he showed up at his own funeral.

On 12/2/2022 at 10:51 AM, DangerousJ said:

You've come a long way, Needlenose...

The Boys are Back!

1988 Decepticon Double Targetmasters!

(2019 Siege) Spinister,(2023 Legacy) Needlenose, and (2017 Titans Return) Quake

KG1Fa7H.jpg

I may get Needlenose. I have the other two and they are great figures. Especially Spinister (which is possibly the best TF name to date). 

1 hour ago, BornWinner said:

Today I learned that Steve Aoki has a gimmick where he launches cakes at people during a concert and that he is absurdly good at throwing cakes. I mean, just look at it go!

The poster tried to frame it as a bad thing, but further context shows that the boy wanted and enjoyed it.

lol its a big deal when you get caked at an aoki show

On 12/3/2022 at 3:34 AM, Daemos said:

What a yawnfest.

Twitter -a private company- could do whatever it wants just like it is doing right now. Was it right? Was it good? Subjective. I just find this obsession with spreading obviously very private photos of a broken man to be nauseating. Like is this the best White Nationalists got? Because lord knows Trump enjoys watersports and Lindsey can't get enough of those BBCs. Leave the kink shaming out of it.

We found out without a doubt that Twitter, an allegedly private company, makes a practice of banning and censoring things at the instruction of the government (which is a violation of the First Amendment;) that the Democrats don't believe freedom of speech is absolute; and that our president and a large portion of the intelligence community outright lied (ahem, engaged in disinformation)  about the laptop story being "lol Russian disinformation" to save Biden's skin. 

I dunno about you, but I wouldn't call that a yawnfest at all. It confirms things that weren't exactly mainstream knowledge, but they weren't exactly secrets either.

Edited by DoctaMario
2 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

We found out without a doubt that Twitter, an allegedly private company, makes a practice of banning and censoring things at the instruction of the government (which is a violation of the First Amendment;) that the Democrats don't believe freedom of speech is absolute; and that our president and a large portion of the intelligence community outright lied (ahem, engaged in disinformation)  about the laptop story being "lol Russian disinformation" to save Biden's skin. 

I dunno about you, but I wouldn't call that a yawnfest at all.

But we knew all of that. It's not new so much as it is more not-so-shocking details to an existing understanding of what's going on.

1 minute ago, Daemos said:

But we knew all of that. It's not new so much as it is more not-so-shocking details to an existing understanding of what's going on.

I don't think most people knew a lot of that, especially judging from howany people online seem to think the whole story is a "nothingburger." If anything, a lot of this is smoking gun proof of what some people had been saying since the story originally broke and got called Russian agents.

And there is a word for government directing corporations to do things it can't legally do itself, so...

5 hours ago, BB_Hoody said:

Hey can anyone help? If I get a international plan. Say for a 100. Does my bill now become 100 dollars. Or is this cost on top of my domestic plan. Thus they stack. I.E 80 for domestic so it becomes 180 in total.

It depends on your carrier and is the International plan a replacement of your existing plan or is it a Add-on to your existing plan.
Also once abroad you actually will get charged differently, so pay attention to those rates. Is that Data unlimited? Is Text Unlimited? Is Minuets Unlimited?  I would re-read everything and double check on everything. The sales person in the stores are idiots most of the time, and don't say the same thing if you go and read up on line what your carrier's policy says. Also assume the over the phone and online customer service personnel are just as uninformed as the retail folks.

I went overseas this summer, got the International plan, I quickly found out despite being promised Data my Data hardly worked, I had to pay per minuet, but texting was unlimited in a country where everyone else got unlimited Data but had to pay for text. If it wasn't for WiFi I would had zero Data the entire time. Makes it worst all the taxis prefer WhatsApp as their preferred communication.

Edited by DarkSakul
2 hours ago, VirginDefiler said:

recently got a new deodorant. davidoff cool water deodorant. 

ive had couture deodorant before like grey flannel but i prefer this one.

This is pretty sweet. I hope you diversify your cologne scents! Versace Eros is a good complimentary scent to go with that for days that you don't wear bright clothing. Sauvage is good too as an alternative to Eros.

how did we forget this topic? Mixed women don't want to see interracial relationships/marriages...

this vid does acknowledge something some of you here do AND something I have asked on SRK: what does it mean to be black? Because there's darkies that do gatekeep others darkies based on a variety of things. "you're black until you say the wrong thing so now you're white"

2 hours ago, Dayaan said:

This is pretty sweet. I hope you diversify your cologne scents! Versace Eros is a good complimentary scent to go with that for days that you don't wear bright clothing. Sauvage is good too as an alternative to Eros.

regarding colognes. i have most of the power scents of the 80s and 90s. 

my top personal 4 are

fahreinheit

drakkar noir

obsession

tobacco vanille

with the following in no order

grey flannel

oscar de la renta

paco rabanne

halston z-14

lapidus

calvin

safari

aramis

jovan musk

never tried eros or sauvage but heard of em.

theres alotta cologne channels on youtube but i mostly stick with 2 dudes who are old school

one is mr.smelly the other is the perfume guy

3 hours ago, VirginDefiler said:

regarding colognes. i have most of the power scents of the 80s and 90s. 

my top personal 4 are

fahreinheit

drakkar noir

obsession

tobacco vanille

with the following in no order

grey flannel

oscar de la renta

paco rabanne

halston z-14

lapidus

calvin

safari

aramis

jovan musk

never tried eros or sauvage but heard of em.

theres alotta cologne channels on youtube but i mostly stick with 2 dudes who are old school

one is mr.smelly the other is the perfume guy

Eros and Sauvage are the new staple men's scents. I have never had more women kiss my wrists and smell my neck like a somehow creepier Vega than when I started wearing Sauvage.

Shot from Artemis/Orion:

Also, the ring of fire is acting up. 2 volcanoes in Hawaii. Volcano in Indonesia. Wouldn't be surprised if the west coast is next. Earthquakes or volcano eruptions on the west coast.

EDIT: Remember "Beetle Juice"? Didn't know that it is in its supernova phase right now!

Edited by Jion_Wansu

Anybody here buys smoothies at Smoothie King? I didn't like them because they seemed to use sherbet and refined sugar. But lately seems they changed their formulas and have removed added sugar from most of their products, so I'm willing to give them a try now. They are even putting on blast other smoothie franchises:

https://www.smoothieking.com/stories/smoothie-king-vs-the-competition-what-sets-us-apart

6 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

Maybe Nintendo will not C&D and Sue Smash Tourneys in this happens more

spacer.png

I honestly don't think it's that, as Smash tournaments (especially majors) play out without Nintendo's support all the time. But what seems to be the larger issue is with PandaGaming and threatening to sic Nintendo on the organizers of the other circuit. They (talking about Smash players here) have every right to be upset, as prior it looked like Nintendo was actually warming up to the idea of official tournaments; only to get shut tf down. The Smash scene I occasionally visit has tossed players out in the past for not practicing good hygiene.

But yeah, let's keep the long running joke about Smash players and hygiene up and rolling.

5 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Why is it that Smash players don't take showers, but other fighting game players do? Seems like Smash is the only fighting game that has this problem. I just don't get it. 

Not going to say is factual or anything but I suspect its likely to do with the statistical age group pool that plays the game competitively vs other competitive games.  I'm pretty sure that because of the higher amount of Teens involved (cause a good chunk of them think they can just go through life without showering daily)  the venn diagram overlap is higher than the other games.  I'm not going to say that its a Smash exlusive thing either cause I've been to some tourneys and and Magfest where I've unfortunately had the displeasure of being downwind of someone who is an adult but that's the main difference between the demographics.